Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 13:13:45 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [Democracy with US characteristics] Joe Biden's Bipartisan Dream May Already Be Dead
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Wed, 12 May 2021 20:13 UTC

Political polarization is identified as one of the threats which had endangered US democracy.

In contrast with Trump, President Biden is eager to repair the political system torn apart by partisan politics. So far, no signs that he will be successful.

"Biden repeatedly called for a bipartisan approach to governing during last year's White House campaign. This harked back to his 36 years in the Senate, which had a less severe partisan divide when he was first elected in 1972 and for many years afterwards.

"We need to revive the spirit of bipartisanship in this country," Biden said before the election. "When I say that, and I said that from the time I announced, I was told that, 'Maybe that's the way things used to work, Joe, you got a lot done before, Joe, but you can't do that anymore.' Well, I'm here to tell you and say we can, and we must."
However, experts on bipartisanship have told Newsweek that while there might be parts of Biden's agenda that Republicans could support, it appears unlikely the GOP will lend Democrats their votes any time soon.

Laurel Harbridge-Yong, an associate professor of political science at Northwestern University and co-author of the book Rejecting Compromise, said there might not be an appetite for compromise in either party."

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-bipartisan-dream-may-already-dead-1590455

interests / soc.culture.china / [Democracy with US characteristics] Joe Biden's Bipartisan Dream May Already Be Dead