Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 06:22:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Chinese Diplomatic Discourse for Europe: A Change of Style
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 11 May 2021 13:22 UTC

"Since the end of 2019, Chinese ambassadors in Europe, just like Chinese Foreign Ministry top officials, have been actively “mediatizing” their communications, using both academic reasons (including Foucault’s concept of discourse) and diplomatic art. So we can talk about a new Chinese experience, that is, the use of ambassadors and high-ranking government representatives with a very specific status—neutral and communicative—for defensive (critical, explanatory) and offensive communication with the society of the host countries through their own, domestic media channels.

The rhetoric of Chinese ambassadors at public appearances has changed; they have expanded their vocabulary to include, in addition to diplomatically oblique phrases, explicit terms describing their negative assessment of Western criticism. As for discourse, defining changes in it would depend on what exactly is meant by discourse and within which concept it is considered. Adhering to the linguistic approach, we can say that discourse has changed. However, the sociopolitical and philosophical approaches, such as that of Foucault, widely cited in this context, and that of Derrida, prompt further conclusions.

From this point of view, firstly, (according to Foucault) discourse is not something that can be consciously controlled or fought, etc., but the framework within which actors of a specific sociopolitical nature explore the world and themselves in it and express their knowledge.

In other words, in terms of understanding discourse, what the Chinese ambassadors say in this case is objectively determined by what China is like today and how it explores and understands itself.

Secondly, (according to Derrida) even with this in mind, the Chinese ambassadors in Europe turn to European rationalism, which today guides the political authorities in its key countries, in order to draw their attention to academic positions formulated, above all, by European scholars, which suggest that the European reaction to China’s development and its proposal for joint work is unnecessarily politicized—unnecessarily because a significant part of what is happening, including what is said, has objective grounds.

Subjective plans of communist China for the world, let alone its “intrigues” as an object of Western discourse, throw the West into a conspiracy fervor.

Meanwhile, an analysis of the discourse showed that the Chinese ambassadors in the four key European countries continue to develop their diplomatic skills, relying, among other things, on Western philosophical concepts. Needless to say, it would not be quite appropriate to apply the ideologized cliché “wolf warriors” to highly qualified Chinese diplomats."

https://eng.globalaffairs.ru/articles/chinese-diplomatic-europe/

Re: Chinese Diplomatic Discourse for Europe: A Change of Style

<c2cb29d9-37e5-4950-a3f4-5b8b48d10d81n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=2029&group=soc.culture.china#2029

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 00:40:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: wakaluk...@yahoo.com.sg (wakal...@yahoo.com.sg)
 by: wakal...@yahoo.com.s - Fri, 14 May 2021 07:40 UTC

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 9:22:56 PM UTC+8, ltlee1 wrote:
> "Since the end of 2019, Chinese ambassadors in Europe, just like Chinese Foreign Ministry top officials, have been actively “mediatizing” their communications, using both academic reasons (including Foucault’s concept of discourse) and diplomatic art. So we can talk about a new Chinese experience, that is, the use of ambassadors and high-ranking government representatives with a very specific status—neutral and communicative—for defensive (critical, explanatory) and offensive communication with the society of the host countries through their own, domestic media channels.
>
> The rhetoric of Chinese ambassadors at public appearances has changed; they have expanded their vocabulary to include, in addition to diplomatically oblique phrases, explicit terms describing their negative assessment of Western criticism. As for discourse, defining changes in it would depend on what exactly is meant by discourse and within which concept it is considered.. Adhering to the linguistic approach, we can say that discourse has changed. However, the sociopolitical and philosophical approaches, such as that of Foucault, widely cited in this context, and that of Derrida, prompt further conclusions.
>
> From this point of view, firstly, (according to Foucault) discourse is not something that can be consciously controlled or fought, etc., but the framework within which actors of a specific sociopolitical nature explore the world and themselves in it and express their knowledge.
>
> In other words, in terms of understanding discourse, what the Chinese ambassadors say in this case is objectively determined by what China is like today and how it explores and understands itself.
>
> Secondly, (according to Derrida) even with this in mind, the Chinese ambassadors in Europe turn to European rationalism, which today guides the political authorities in its key countries, in order to draw their attention to academic positions formulated, above all, by European scholars, which suggest that the European reaction to China’s development and its proposal for joint work is unnecessarily politicized—unnecessarily because a significant part of what is happening, including what is said, has objective grounds.
>
> Subjective plans of communist China for the world, let alone its “intrigues” as an object of Western discourse, throw the West into a conspiracy fervor.
>
> Meanwhile, an analysis of the discourse showed that the Chinese ambassadors in the four key European countries continue to develop their diplomatic skills, relying, among other things, on Western philosophical concepts. Needless to say, it would not be quite appropriate to apply the ideologized cliché “wolf warriors” to highly qualified Chinese diplomats."
>
> https://eng.globalaffairs.ru/articles/chinese-diplomatic-europe/

Europe is a spineless, vassal of the US. When the US shouts "Stand!", Europe would stand. When the US shouts "Sit!", the US would sit.

Wakalukong

interests / soc.culture.china / Chinese Diplomatic Discourse for Europe: A Change of Style