You will stop at nothing to reach your objective, but only because your brakes are defective.

interests / alt.usage.english / Would this be a tautology?

SubjectAuthor
* Would this be a tautology?lar3ryca
+* Re: Would this be a tautology?occam
|`* Re: Would this be a tautology?Athel Cornish-Bowden
| `- Re: Would this be a tautology?lar3ryca
`* Re: Would this be a tautology?Hibou
 +- Re: Would this be a tautology?Sam Plusnet
 `- Re: Would this be a tautology?lar3ryca

1
Would this be a tautology?

<ui1urh$2l8ei$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=197428&group=alt.usage.english#197428

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Would this be a tautology?
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 23:01:37 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 05:01 UTC

Just when I thought I'd heard the worst of our local CTV news outlet, I
hear this.

"Saskatchewan has the most domestic violence incidents in Saskatchewan."

--
Osteopornosis: A degenerate disease.

Re: Would this be a tautology?

<kqjmupF88dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=197435&group=alt.usage.english#197435

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Would this be a tautology?
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 08:48:41 +0100
 by: occam - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 07:48 UTC

On 03/11/2023 06:01, lar3ryca wrote:
> Just when I thought I'd heard the worst of our local CTV news outlet, I
> hear this.
>
> "Saskatchewan has the most domestic violence incidents in Saskatchewan."

It is what it is.

Maybe the first of those was meant to read 'Saskatoon'?

A brief search in Wiki revealed that I did not know any of the names of
the major cities of Saskatchewan e.g. Prince Albert, Moose Jaw, Yorkton,
Swift Current, North Battleford, Estevan, Weyburn, Melfort, and the
border city Lloydminster. (Who was Estevan (the Spanish for Steven) and
what was he doing there. Was he lost?)

Re: Would this be a tautology?

<kqjo1hFefbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=197436&group=alt.usage.english#197436

From: athel...@gmail.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 09:07:13 +0100
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 08:07 UTC

On 2023-11-03 07:48:41 +0000, occam said:

> On 03/11/2023 06:01, lar3ryca wrote:
>> Just when I thought I'd heard the worst of our local CTV news outlet, I
>> hear this.
>>
>> "Saskatchewan has the most domestic violence incidents in Saskatchewan."
>>

> It is what it is.
>
> Maybe the first of those was meant to read 'Saskatoon'?
>
> A brief search in Wiki revealed that I did not know any of the names of
> the major cities of Saskatchewan e.g. Prince Albert, Moose Jaw, Yorkton,
> Swift Current, North Battleford, Estevan, Weyburn, Melfort, and the
> border city Lloydminster. (Who was Estevan (the Spanish for Steven) and
> what was he doing there. Was he lost?)

Wikipedia: "The name origin is attributed to George Stephen's
registered telegraphic address, Estevan.[3] George Stephen was the
first President of the Canadian Pacific Railway from 1881 to 1888."

Incidentally, the usual spelling of the Spanish name is Esteban.

I imagine you'd heard of Regina and Saskatoon. For myself, I'd add
Prince Albert and Moose Jaw, though I wouldn't be confident that knew
what province they were in. I've been to Moose Jaw, but I don't
remember anything about it.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: Would this be a tautology?

<ui29s9$2mtf2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=197437&group=alt.usage.english#197437

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 08:09:45 +0000
 by: Hibou - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 08:09 UTC

Le 03/11/2023 à 05:01, lar3ryca a écrit :

> Just when I thought I'd heard the worst of our local CTV news outlet, I
> hear this.
>
> "Saskatchewan has the most domestic violence incidents in Saskatchewan."

Just a slip of the tongue, I should think. The last word should no doubt
be 'Canada'.

'Saskatchewan has the worst intimate partner violence rate of any
province' -
<https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sask-intimate-partner-homicide-deadly-relationships-1.6275128>

Re: Would this be a tautology?

<Z2c1N.47353$14pb.40954@fx02.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=197508&group=alt.usage.english#197508

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 19:42:47 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 19:42 UTC

On 03-Nov-23 8:09, Hibou wrote:
> Le 03/11/2023 à 05:01, lar3ryca a écrit :
>>
>> Just when I thought I'd heard the worst of our local CTV news outlet,
>> I hear this.
>>
>> "Saskatchewan has the most domestic violence incidents in Saskatchewan."
>
> Just a slip of the tongue, I should think. The last word should no doubt
> be 'Canada'.
>
> 'Saskatchewan has the worst intimate partner violence rate of any
> province' -
> <https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sask-intimate-partner-homicide-deadly-relationships-1.6275128>

I assume "intimate" relates to the type of "partnership" rather than
nature of the violence?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Would this be a tautology?

<ui3ilb$2tigh$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=197510&group=alt.usage.english#197510

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 13:45:47 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 19:45 UTC

On 2023-11-03 02:07, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2023-11-03 07:48:41 +0000, occam said:
>
>> On 03/11/2023 06:01, lar3ryca wrote:
>>> Just when I thought I'd heard the worst of our local CTV news outlet, I
>>> hear this.
>>>
>>> "Saskatchewan has the most domestic violence incidents in Saskatchewan."
>>>

>> It is what it is.
>>
>> Maybe the first of those was meant to read 'Saskatoon'?
>>
>> A brief search in Wiki revealed that I did not know any of the names of
>> the major cities of Saskatchewan e.g. Prince Albert, Moose Jaw, Yorkton,
>> Swift Current, North Battleford, Estevan, Weyburn, Melfort, and the
>> border city Lloydminster.  (Who was Estevan (the Spanish for Steven) and
>> what was he doing there. Was he lost?)
>
> Wikipedia: "The name origin is attributed to George Stephen's
> registered telegraphic address, Estevan.[3] George Stephen was the first
> President of the Canadian Pacific Railway from 1881 to 1888."
>
> Incidentally, the usual spelling of the Spanish name is Esteban.
>
> I imagine you'd heard of Regina and Saskatoon. For myself, I'd add
> Prince Albert and Moose Jaw, though I wouldn't be confident that knew
> what province they were in. I've been to Moose Jaw, but I don't remember
> anything about it.

Just for you, Athel, A song entitled /I've Been to Moose Jaw'.
Very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AWbOjH6Aj8

--
In hindsight, I realized I could see into the future.
Which is kind of like having premonitions of flashbacks.

Re: Would this be a tautology?

<ui3ip2$2tigh$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=197512&group=alt.usage.english#197512

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 13:47:46 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 19:47 UTC

On 2023-11-03 02:09, Hibou wrote:
> Le 03/11/2023 à 05:01, lar3ryca a écrit :
>>
>> Just when I thought I'd heard the worst of our local CTV news outlet,
>> I hear this.
>>
>> "Saskatchewan has the most domestic violence incidents in Saskatchewan."
>
> Just a slip of the tongue, I should think. The last word should no doubt
> be 'Canada'.
>
> 'Saskatchewan has the worst intimate partner violence rate of any
> province' -
> <https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sask-intimate-partner-homicide-deadly-relationships-1.6275128>

That's what I figured, but it is, I think, indicative of the amount of
care they take in speaking or reading, or pronouncing words.

--
How do you put a sparkle in Justin Trudeau's eye?
Shine a flashlight into his ear.

interests / alt.usage.english / Would this be a tautology?