"Love may fail, but courtesy will previal." -- A Kurt Vonnegut fan

interests / alt.usage.english / [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

SubjectAuthor
* [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?Ken Blake
+* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itChris Elvidge
|`* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itlar3ryca
| `* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itSam Plusnet
|  +* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to Athel Cornish-Bowden
|  |`- Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itbruce bowser
|  +* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itChris Elvidge
|  |`- Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itJerry Friedman
|  `* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itHibou
|   `* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itHibou
|    +* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itPeter Moylan
|    |`* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itSam Plusnet
|    | +- Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to yocharles
|    | +- Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itPeter Moylan
|    | `- Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to yoJ. J. Lodder
|    `* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to yoKen Blake
|     `* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itPeter Moylan
|      `- Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itbruce bowser
+* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itPhil
|`* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itRoss Clark
| `- Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to yoKen Blake
+* Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to yoJanet
|+- Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itLionel Edwards
|`- Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is itPeter Moylan
`- Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to yoJ. J. Lodder

1
[bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uh67b8$17l6j$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196392&group=alt.usage.english#196392

From: Ken...@OneOfMany.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:34:46 -0600
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:34 UTC

"A submunition warhead is perfect for striking large installations
crowded with unprotected equipment. An airfield, for example, with its
fragile airplanes, helicopters, fuel [bowsers] and support equipment."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/10/22/ukraines-american-made-m39-missiles-may-have-wrecked-21-russian-helicopters-in-a-single-operation/

chiefly Australia
: a pump usually at a service station for dispensing liquid fuels, especially gasoline
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowsers

It's interestingly odd that Forbes would use an obscure Australian
trademark, which, as far as I can tell, is essentially local slang,
for something that happened in Putin's War in Ukraine.

Makes no sense to me for them to use Australian slang in such an article.
But maybe the slang [bowsers] is more well known than I think it may be?

[bowsers] Is the author misusing the trademark or is it familiar to you?

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uh67ls$38kp7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196393&group=alt.usage.english#196393

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it
familiar to you?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:40:27 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:40 UTC

On 23/10/2023 17:34, Ken Blake wrote:
> "A submunition warhead is perfect for striking large installations
> crowded with unprotected equipment. An airfield, for example, with its
> fragile airplanes, helicopters, fuel [bowsers] and support equipment."
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/10/22/ukraines-american-made-m39-missiles-may-have-wrecked-21-russian-helicopters-in-a-single-operation/
>
> chiefly Australia
> : a pump usually at a service station for dispensing liquid fuels, especially gasoline
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowsers
>
> It's interestingly odd that Forbes would use an obscure Australian
> trademark, which, as far as I can tell, is essentially local slang,
> for something that happened in Putin's War in Ukraine.
>
> Makes no sense to me for them to use Australian slang in such an article.
> But maybe the slang [bowsers] is more well known than I think it may be?
>
> [bowsers] Is the author misusing the trademark or is it familiar to you?

Fuel bowsers are common in the British forces. Common name for
refuelling trucks. See also airports.

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL ONLY DO THIS ONCE A YEAR

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uh6aam$397ao$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196400&group=alt.usage.english#196400

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
familiar to you?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:25:42 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:25 UTC

On 2023-10-23 10:40, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 23/10/2023 17:34, Ken Blake wrote:
>>    "A submunition warhead is perfect for striking large installations
>> crowded with unprotected equipment. An airfield, for example, with its
>> fragile airplanes, helicopters, fuel [bowsers] and support equipment."
>> https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/10/22/ukraines-american-made-m39-missiles-may-have-wrecked-21-russian-helicopters-in-a-single-operation/
>>
>> chiefly Australia
>> : a pump usually at a service station for dispensing liquid fuels,
>> especially gasoline
>> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowsers
>>
>> It's interestingly odd that Forbes would use an obscure Australian
>> trademark, which, as far as I can tell, is essentially local slang,
>> for something that happened in Putin's War in Ukraine.
>>
>> Makes no sense to me for them to use Australian slang in such an article.
>> But maybe the slang [bowsers] is more well known than I think it may be?
>>
>> [bowsers] Is the author misusing the trademark or is it familiar to you?
>>

> Fuel bowsers are common in the British forces. Common name for
> refuelling trucks. See also airports.

That's also what the RCAF calls them.

--
I asked a German gentleman if he knew the square root of 81.
He said No.

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uh6av8$3988e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196401&group=alt.usage.english#196401

From: phi...@anonymous.invalid (Phil)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
familiar to you?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 18:36:38 +0100
 by: Phil - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:36 UTC

On 23/10/2023 17:34, Ken Blake wrote:
> "A submunition warhead is perfect for striking large installations
> crowded with unprotected equipment. An airfield, for example, with its
> fragile airplanes, helicopters, fuel [bowsers] and support equipment."
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/10/22/ukraines-american-made-m39-missiles-may-have-wrecked-21-russian-helicopters-in-a-single-operation/
>
> chiefly Australia
> : a pump usually at a service station for dispensing liquid fuels, especially gasoline
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowsers
>
> It's interestingly odd that Forbes would use an obscure Australian
> trademark, which, as far as I can tell, is essentially local slang,
> for something that happened in Putin's War in Ukraine.
>
> Makes no sense to me for them to use Australian slang in such an article.
> But maybe the slang [bowsers] is more well known than I think it may be?
>
> [bowsers] Is the author misusing the trademark or is it familiar to you?

We've been here before. Familiar usage in BrE for fuel; and water
bowsers were a common sight during the drought of 1976 in the UK:

<https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/20294585.readers-memories-long-hot-summer-1976/>

--
Phil B

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<1izZM.94520$sxoa.52569@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196402&group=alt.usage.english#196402

familiar to you?
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:52:45 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 18:52 UTC

On 23-Oct-23 18:25, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2023-10-23 10:40, Chris Elvidge wrote:
>> On 23/10/2023 17:34, Ken Blake wrote:
>>>    "A submunition warhead is perfect for striking large installations
>>> crowded with unprotected equipment. An airfield, for example, with its
>>> fragile airplanes, helicopters, fuel [bowsers] and support equipment."
>>> https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/10/22/ukraines-american-made-m39-missiles-may-have-wrecked-21-russian-helicopters-in-a-single-operation/
>>>
>>> chiefly Australia
>>> : a pump usually at a service station for dispensing liquid fuels,
>>> especially gasoline
>>> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowsers
>>>
>>> It's interestingly odd that Forbes would use an obscure Australian
>>> trademark, which, as far as I can tell, is essentially local slang,
>>> for something that happened in Putin's War in Ukraine.
>>>
>>> Makes no sense to me for them to use Australian slang in such an
>>> article.
>>> But maybe the slang [bowsers] is more well known than I think it may be?
>>>
>>> [bowsers] Is the author misusing the trademark or is it familiar to you?
>>>

>> Fuel bowsers are common in the British forces. Common name for
>> refuelling trucks. See also airports.
>
> That's also what the RCAF calls them.

I'm sure this is a repeat from a few months back.
Someone made assumptions about "Bowser" being a very obscure term, and
the whole thing was fully explained back then.

I wonder if there is any good reason for this stuff to be recycled?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<kpnuafFhgtoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196403&group=alt.usage.english#196403

From: athel...@gmail.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:02:39 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:02 UTC

On 2023-10-23 18:52:45 +0000, Sam Plusnet said:

> On 23-Oct-23 18:25, lar3ryca wrote:

>>> Fuel bowsers are common in the British forces. Common name for
>>> refuelling trucks. See also airports.
>>
>> That's also what the RCAF calls them.
>>
> I'm sure this is a repeat from a few months back.
> Someone made assumptions about "Bowser" being a very obscure term, and
> the whole thing was fully explained back then.

I have to confess that the only Bowser I know of is Bruce.

> I wonder if there is any good reason for this stuff to be recycled?

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uh6gr2$3b0j3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196404&group=alt.usage.english#196404

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
familiar to you?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 08:16:42 +1300
 by: Ross Clark - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 19:16 UTC

On 24/10/2023 6:36 a.m., Phil wrote:
> On 23/10/2023 17:34, Ken Blake wrote:
>>    "A submunition warhead is perfect for striking large installations
>> crowded with unprotected equipment. An airfield, for example, with its
>> fragile airplanes, helicopters, fuel [bowsers] and support equipment."
>> https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/10/22/ukraines-american-made-m39-missiles-may-have-wrecked-21-russian-helicopters-in-a-single-operation/
>>

>> chiefly Australia
>> : a pump usually at a service station for dispensing liquid fuels,
>> especially gasoline
>> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowsers
>>
>> It's interestingly odd that Forbes would use an obscure Australian
>> trademark, which, as far as I can tell, is essentially local slang,
>> for something that happened in Putin's War in Ukraine.
>>
>> Makes no sense to me for them to use Australian slang in such an article.
>> But maybe the slang [bowsers] is more well known than I think it may be?
>>
>> [bowsers] Is the author misusing the trademark or is it familiar to you?
>
> We've been here before. Familiar usage in BrE for fuel; and water
> bowsers were a common sight during the drought of 1976 in the UK:
>
> <https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/20294585.readers-memories-long-hot-summer-1976/>

All explained here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvanus_Bowser

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uh6jd4$3bmbb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196405&group=alt.usage.english#196405

From: chr...@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
familiar to you?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:00:36 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 20:00 UTC

On 23/10/2023 19:52, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 23-Oct-23 18:25, lar3ryca wrote:

>>> Fuel bowsers are common in the British forces. Common name for
>>> refuelling trucks. See also airports.
>>
>> That's also what the RCAF calls them.
>>
> I'm sure this is a repeat from a few months back.
> Someone made assumptions about "Bowser" being a very obscure term, and
> the whole thing was fully explained back then.
>
> I wonder if there is any good reason for this stuff to be recycled?

Better for the environment, innit?

--
Chris Elvidge, England
I WILL NOT TEACH OTHERS TO FLY

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<c5ca5ea4-31bc-4bb9-8383-f68a0136d035n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196406&group=alt.usage.english#196406

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:45:58 -0700 (PDT)
familiar to you?
From: jerry.fr...@gmail.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 20:45 UTC

On Monday, October 23, 2023 at 2:00:42 PM UTC-6, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 23/10/2023 19:52, Sam Plusnet wrote:

> >> That's also what the RCAF calls them.
> >>
> > I'm sure this is a repeat from a few months back.
> > Someone made assumptions about "Bowser" being a very obscure term, and
> > the whole thing was fully explained back then.
> >
> > I wonder if there is any good reason for this stuff to be recycled?
> >
> Better for the environment, innit?

I don't know. If you just put it in the ground, it might make good fertilizer.

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<MPG.3fa0f13cb4588e08989a75@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196408&group=alt.usage.english#196408

From: nob...@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 22:08:52 +0100
 by: Janet - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:08 UTC

In article <uh67b8$17l6j$1@paganini.bofh.team>,
Ken@OneOfMany.com says...

> "A submunition warhead is perfect for striking large installations
> crowded with unprotected equipment. An airfield, for example, with its
> fragile airplanes, helicopters, fuel [bowsers] and support equipment."
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/10/22/ukraines-american-made-m39-missiles-may-have-wrecked-21-russian-helicopters-in-a-single-operation/
>
> chiefly Australia
> : a pump usually at a service station for dispensing liquid fuels, especially gasoline
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowsers
>
> It's interestingly odd that Forbes would use an obscure Australian
> trademark, which, as far as I can tell, is essentially local slang,
> for something that happened in Putin's War in Ukraine.
>
> Makes no sense to me for them to use Australian slang in such an article.
> But maybe the slang [bowsers] is more well known than I think it may be?
>
> [bowsers] Is the author misusing the trademark or is it familiar to you?

In Br E, bowser is not a trademark. It's the common
term for a tank on wheels, holding water or fuel.

Janet

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<70c608a3-8e21-40ea-bb19-58dfcabcc769n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196410&group=alt.usage.english#196410

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:38:54 -0700 (PDT)
familiar to you?
From: lioneled...@gmail.com (Lionel Edwards)
 by: Lionel Edwards - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:38 UTC

On Monday, October 23, 2023 at 10:08:58 PM UTC+1, Janet wrote:
> In article <uh67b8$17l6j$1...@paganini.bofh.team>,
> K...@OneOfMany.com says...
> >
> > "A submunition warhead is perfect for striking large installations
> > crowded with unprotected equipment. An airfield, for example, with its
> > fragile airplanes, helicopters, fuel [bowsers] and support equipment."
> > https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/10/22/ukraines-american-made-m39-missiles-may-have-wrecked-21-russian-helicopters-in-a-single-operation/
> >
> > chiefly Australia
> > : a pump usually at a service station for dispensing liquid fuels, especially gasoline
> > https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowsers
> >
> > It's interestingly odd that Forbes would use an obscure Australian
> > trademark, which, as far as I can tell, is essentially local slang,
> > for something that happened in Putin's War in Ukraine.
> >
> > Makes no sense to me for them to use Australian slang in such an article.
> > But maybe the slang [bowsers] is more well known than I think it may be?
> >
> > [bowsers] Is the author misusing the trademark or is it familiar to you?
> In Br E, bowser is not a trademark. It's the common
> term for a tank on wheels, holding water or fuel.
>
> Janet

Of course it is. The people who nowadays drive (or even walk?) around watering
flowers in the summer, drag "a bowser" behind them.

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uh7085$3eedq$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196414&group=alt.usage.english#196414

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
familiar to you?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:39:50 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 23:39 UTC

On 24/10/23 08:08, Janet wrote:
> In article <uh67b8$17l6j$1@paganini.bofh.team>, Ken@OneOfMany.com
> says...
>>
>> "A submunition warhead is perfect for striking large installations
>> crowded with unprotected equipment. An airfield, for example, with
>> its fragile airplanes, helicopters, fuel [bowsers] and support
>> equipment."
>> https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/10/22/ukraines-american-made-m39-missiles-may-have-wrecked-21-russian-helicopters-in-a-single-operation/

chiefly Australia
>> : a pump usually at a service station for dispensing liquid fuels,
>> especially gasoline
>> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowsers
>>
>> It's interestingly odd that Forbes would use an obscure Australian
>> trademark, which, as far as I can tell, is essentially local
>> slang, for something that happened in Putin's War in Ukraine.
>>
>> Makes no sense to me for them to use Australian slang in such an
>> article. But maybe the slang [bowsers] is more well known than I
>> think it may be?
>>
>> [bowsers] Is the author misusing the trademark or is it familiar to
>> you?
>
> In Br E, bowser is not a trademark. It's the common term for a tank
> on wheels, holding water or fuel.

I've learnt one thing from this thread. It had never occurred to me that
"bowser" might originally have been a trade mark.

For what it's worth, I did know that "furphy" was originally a company name.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<1qj3o9a.toqxdt18cteffN%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196427&group=alt.usage.english#196427

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 11:07:04 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 09:07 UTC

Ken Blake <Ken@OneOfMany.com> wrote:

> "A submunition warhead is perfect for striking large installations
> crowded with unprotected equipment. An airfield, for example, with its
> fragile airplanes, helicopters, fuel [bowsers] and support equipment."
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/10/22/ukraines-american-made-m39-mi
ssiles-may-have-wrecked-21-russian-helicopters-in-a-single-operation/

> chiefly Australia
> : a pump usually at a service station for dispensing liquid fuels,
> especially gasoline
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bowsers
>
> It's interestingly odd that Forbes would use an obscure Australian
> trademark, which, as far as I can tell, is essentially local slang,
> for something that happened in Putin's War in Ukraine.
>
> Makes no sense to me for them to use Australian slang in such an article.
> But maybe the slang [bowsers] is more well known than I think it may be?
>
> [bowsers] Is the author misusing the trademark or is it familiar to you?

More trivia, I read somewhere that the seemingly unpronounceable ATACMS
is supposed to be pronounced as Attack'ms,

Jan

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uh844c$3q4ma$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196430&group=alt.usage.english#196430

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
familiar to you?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:52:12 +0100
 by: Hibou - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 09:52 UTC

Le 23/10/2023 à 19:52, Sam Plusnet a écrit :
> On 23-Oct-23 18:25, lar3ryca wrote:

>>> Fuel bowsers are common in the British forces. Common name for
>>> refuelling trucks. See also airports.
>>
>> That's also what the RCAF calls them.
>>
> I'm sure this is a repeat from a few months back.
> Someone made assumptions about "Bowser" being a very obscure term, and
> the whole thing was fully explained back then.

Yes, well remembered. Back in December you replied to my joke:

<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/7NyZSNPN4JA/m/Brr-RZzHBQAJ>

> I wonder if there is any good reason for this stuff to be recycled?

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uh84om$3q95o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196431&group=alt.usage.english#196431

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
familiar to you?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 11:03:02 +0100
 by: Hibou - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:03 UTC

Le 24/10/2023 à 10:52, Hibou a écrit :
> Le 23/10/2023 à 19:52, Sam Plusnet a écrit :

>>> That's also what the RCAF calls them.
>>
>> I'm sure this is a repeat from a few months back.
>> Someone made assumptions about "Bowser" being a very obscure term, and
>> the whole thing was fully explained back then.
>
> Yes, well remembered. Back in December you replied to my joke:
>
> <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/7NyZSNPN4JA/m/Brr-RZzHBQAJ>
>
>> I wonder if there is any good reason for this stuff to be recycled?

I find this sort of word interesting. One goes through life meeting
words, unconsciously salting them away. Some may lie idle for decades,
but there they are, ready to be recognised when the occasion finally
presents itself, ready to pop out and enable a quip.

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uh8aka$3rtsj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196436&group=alt.usage.english#196436

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
familiar to you?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 22:43:03 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 11:43 UTC

On 24/10/23 21:03, Hibou wrote:
> Le 24/10/2023 à 10:52, Hibou a écrit :

>>> I'm sure this is a repeat from a few months back.
>>> Someone made assumptions about "Bowser" being a very obscure term,
>>> and the whole thing was fully explained back then.
>>
>> Yes, well remembered. Back in December you replied to my joke:
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/7NyZSNPN4JA/m/Brr-RZzHBQAJ>
>>

>>> I wonder if there is any good reason for this stuff to be recycled?
>
> I find this sort of word interesting. One goes through life meeting
> words, unconsciously salting them away. Some may lie idle for decades,
> but there they are, ready to be recognised when the occasion finally
> presents itself, ready to pop out and enable a quip.

Is this one an obscure term, though? In AusE "petrol bowser" is the most
common description for the device where you refuel your car. I have the
impression that it's almost as well known -- perhaps not to the same
degree -- in BrE. It's only in AmE that the word is not well-known.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<1mUZM.78465$9An3.18449@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196455&group=alt.usage.english#196455

familiar to you?
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 19:50:37 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:50 UTC

On 24-Oct-23 12:43, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 24/10/23 21:03, Hibou wrote:

>>> Yes, well remembered. Back in December you replied to my joke:
>>>
>>> <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/7NyZSNPN4JA/m/Brr-RZzHBQAJ>

>> I find this sort of word interesting. One goes through life meeting
>> words, unconsciously salting them away. Some may lie idle for decades,
>> but there they are, ready to be recognised when the occasion finally
>> presents itself, ready to pop out and enable a quip.
>
> Is this one an obscure term, though? In AusE "petrol bowser" is the most
> common description for the device where you refuel your car. I have the
> impression that it's almost as well known -- perhaps not to the same
> degree -- in BrE. It's only in AmE that the word is not well-known.

Do you mean that "petrol bowser" is an alternative term for the petrol
pump (or perhaps the forecourt where all the pumps are located)?

That isn't used in BrE. Here "bowser" is only used to refer to a tank on
wheels - either self-propelled, or towed behind another vehicle.

The large tanker lorries which replenish supplies at a "petrol station"
are not (as far as I know) ever called bowsers.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<5af884d3cccharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196456&group=alt.usage.english#196456

From: char...@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 23 20:00:04 UTC
 by: charles - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 20:00 UTC

In article <1mUZM.78465$9An3.18449@fx06.ams1>, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com>
wrote:
> On 24-Oct-23 12:43, Peter Moylan wrote:

> >> I find this sort of word interesting. One goes through life meeting
> >> words, unconsciously salting them away. Some may lie idle for decades,
> >> but there they are, ready to be recognised when the occasion finally
> >> presents itself, ready to pop out and enable a quip.
> >
> > Is this one an obscure term, though? In AusE "petrol bowser" is the
> > most common description for the device where you refuel your car. I
> > have the impression that it's almost as well known -- perhaps not to
> > the same degree -- in BrE. It's only in AmE that the word is not
> > well-known.

> Do you mean that "petrol bowser" is an alternative term for the petrol
> pump (or perhaps the forecourt where all the pumps are located)?

> That isn't used in BrE. Here "bowser" is only used to refer to a tank on
> wheels - either self-propelled, or towed behind another vehicle.

> The large tanker lorries which replenish supplies at a "petrol station"
> are not (as far as I know) ever called bowsers.

I have always assumed that you take the liquid directly from the bowser.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uh9ltd$97ir$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196459&group=alt.usage.english#196459

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
familiar to you?
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 11:01:44 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 00:01 UTC

On 25/10/23 05:50, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 24-Oct-23 12:43, Peter Moylan wrote:

>> Is this one an obscure term, though? In AusE "petrol bowser" is the
>> most common description for the device where you refuel your car.
>> I have the impression that it's almost as well known -- perhaps not
>> to the same degree -- in BrE. It's only in AmE that the word is not
>> well-known.
>
> Do you mean that "petrol bowser" is an alternative term for the
> petrol pump (or perhaps the forecourt where all the pumps are
> located)?

"Petrol pump" would be understood in Australia, but it's not the usual
term here. "Bowser" is the primary term, not an alternative term.

And no, we don't use it to mean the forecourt. Only for the machine
that's standing up with its dick in its ear.

I don't think we ever use "bowser" for a tank or a tanker.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uha7f7$1n7uu$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196464&group=alt.usage.english#196464

From: Ken...@OneOfMany.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 23:01:27 -0600
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 05:01 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 11:03:02 +0100, Hibou wrote:

>>> I'm sure this is a repeat from a few months back.
>>> Someone made assumptions about "Bowser" being a very obscure term, and
>>> the whole thing was fully explained back then.
>>
>> Yes, well remembered. Back in December you replied to my joke:
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/7NyZSNPN4JA/m/Brr-RZzHBQAJ>
>>
>>> I wonder if there is any good reason for this stuff to be recycled?
>
> I find this sort of word interesting. One goes through life meeting
> words, unconsciously salting them away. Some may lie idle for decades,
> but there they are, ready to be recognised when the occasion finally
> presents itself, ready to pop out and enable a quip.

1. It's not a common (Am)English term as far as I can tell.
2. The thread discussing it in the past was titled
"Definition of racially coded"
3. And the "bowser" came up 53 times mostly in relation mostly to
a person named "Bruce" and only tangentially in a joke over here.
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/7NyZSNPN4JA/m/vmaxBB64BQAJ

What's odd, to me, is Forbes used this almost unheard of trademark as if it
was common usage for an article that wasn't even about Australian or
British airfields, but Ukrainian/Russian airfields.

Seems to me if they insisted on using obscure trademarks for fuel trucks,
they could have spent the time to figure out what the Russians call it.

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uha848$1n8rf$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196465&group=alt.usage.english#196465

From: Ken...@OneOfMany.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 23:12:40 -0600
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 05:12 UTC

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 08:16:42 +1300, Ross Clark wrote:

>> We've been here before. Familiar usage in BrE for fuel; and water
>> bowsers were a common sight during the drought of 1976 in the UK:
>>
>> <https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/20294585.readers-memories-long-hot-summer-1976/>
>
> All explained here:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvanus_Bowser

That's interesting that it's an American invention, even as the article
goes on to say "In New Zealand and Australia it is still a generic term for
consumer fuel pumps, while in the United Kingdom it refers to wheeled water
tankers (either automotive or towed) used to supply fresh water to areas
where normal supplies have been interrupted."

What that appears to be indicating is that it's NOT an American term
any longer (if it ever was).

Hence, IMHO, it's ridiculous to use Australian slang to refer to Russian
objects when the article isn't aimed at Australian audiences in particular.

The terminology appears to be not bowsers, but "fuel tankers" as noted here
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/12/14/7380747/

What's absurd, to me, is Forbes used this almost unheard of obscure
trademark slang as if it was common usage for an article written in English
that wasn't even about damage to either Australian or British airfields,
but to Ukrainian/Russian airfields.

Seems to me if they insisted on using outdated trademarks for fuel trucks,
they could have spent the time to figure out what the Russians call it.

Looking up what the locals call it, this just calls them "fuel trucks."
https://warontherocks.com/2021/11/feeding-the-bear-a-closer-look-at-russian-army-logistics/

So does this call it a "fuel truck" which makes more sense than a "bowser."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIL-131

This intermingles "fuel tankers" and "fuel trucks" as their terminology.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/01/06/russia-disguising-fuel-trucks-piles-wood-avoid-ukrainian-bombs/

This mixes "fuel tankers" & "Russian fuel resupply vehicles" descriptors.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/vikrammittal/2022/12/11/ukrainian-military-is-targeting-russian-fuel-supply-lines-as-winter-approaches/

Here, instead of using absurd Australian vernacular, they call it a fuel
truck, so we don't seem to have any specific term the Russians use yet.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/05/explosions-russia-airbases-far-from-ukraine-frontline-bombers

It would be interesting to find what the Russians call it.

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<uha97b$i1ed$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196467&group=alt.usage.english#196467

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
familiar to you?
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 16:31:18 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 05:31 UTC

On 25/10/23 16:01, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> Yes, well remembered. Back in December you replied to my joke:
>>>
>>> <https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/7NyZSNPN4JA/m/Brr-RZzHBQAJ>

I wonder if there is any good reason for this stuff to be recycled?

>> I find this sort of word interesting. One goes through life
>> meeting words, unconsciously salting them away. Some may lie idle
>> for decades, but there they are, ready to be recognised when the
>> occasion finally presents itself, ready to pop out and enable a
>> quip.
>
> 1. It's not a common (Am)English term as far as I can tell. 2. The
> thread discussing it in the past was titled "Definition of racially
> coded" 3. And the "bowser" came up 53 times mostly in relation mostly
> to a person named "Bruce" and only tangentially in a joke over here.
> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/7NyZSNPN4JA/m/vmaxBB64BQAJ
>
> What's odd, to me, is Forbes used this almost unheard of trademark
> as if it was common usage for an article that wasn't even about
> Australian or British airfields, but Ukrainian/Russian airfields.
>
> Seems to me if they insisted on using obscure trademarks for fuel
> trucks, they could have spent the time to figure out what the
> Russians call it.

The journalist who wrote the article isn't Russian or Ukrainian, and
wasn't writing for Russian or Ukranian readers.

I've just gone back to the article to see who wrote it. He's an American
who was born in Texas and educated in South Carolina. He used the term
"bowser" in the British sense, not the Australian sense.

"Aviation bowser" could be a term of art at airports. Here's a US
company that uses the term:

https://westmor-ind.com/aviation/bowsers/

(A web search returned a few more hits.)

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<1qj5ioo.n697q41k44qt8N%nospam@de-ster.demon.nl>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196484&group=alt.usage.english#196484

From: nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 11:31:29 +0200
 by: J. J. Lodder - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 09:31 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> On 24-Oct-23 12:43, Peter Moylan wrote:

> >> I find this sort of word interesting. One goes through life meeting
> >> words, unconsciously salting them away. Some may lie idle for decades,
> >> but there they are, ready to be recognised when the occasion finally
> >> presents itself, ready to pop out and enable a quip.
> >
> > Is this one an obscure term, though? In AusE "petrol bowser" is the most
> > common description for the device where you refuel your car. I have the
> > impression that it's almost as well known -- perhaps not to the same
> > degree -- in BrE. It's only in AmE that the word is not well-known.
>
> Do you mean that "petrol bowser" is an alternative term for the petrol
> pump (or perhaps the forecourt where all the pumps are located)?
>
> That isn't used in BrE. Here "bowser" is only used to refer to a tank on
> wheels - either self-propelled, or towed behind another vehicle.

The wheels were essential, to the WWII RAF.
When planes were departing on long range missions
the fuel bowsers could be used to top up the tanks
with the engines already running,
while the planes were waiting for their turn to take off.

Jan

> The large tanker lorries which replenish supplies at a "petrol station"
> are not (as far as I know) ever called bowsers.

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<26bf6074-a4ee-44f3-8055-82ca8bcb697en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196840&group=alt.usage.english#196840

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 12:13:46 -0700 (PDT)
familiar to you?
From: bruce1.9...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 19:13 UTC

On Wednesday, October 25, 2023 at 1:31:32 AM UTC-4, Peter Moylan wrote:

> I wonder if there is any good reason for this stuff to be recycled?
> >>
> >> I find this sort of word interesting. One goes through life
> >> meeting words, unconsciously salting them away. Some may lie idle
> >> for decades, but there they are, ready to be recognised when the
> >> occasion finally presents itself, ready to pop out and enable a
> >> quip.
> >
> > 1. It's not a common (Am)English term as far as I can tell. 2. The
> > thread discussing it in the past was titled "Definition of racially
> > coded" 3. And the "bowser" came up 53 times mostly in relation mostly
> > to a person named "Bruce" and only tangentially in a joke over here.
> > https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usage.english/c/7NyZSNPN4JA/m/vmaxBB64BQAJ
> >
> > What's odd, to me, is Forbes used this almost unheard of trademark
> > as if it was common usage for an article that wasn't even about
> > Australian or British airfields, but Ukrainian/Russian airfields.
> >
> > Seems to me if they insisted on using obscure trademarks for fuel
> > trucks, they could have spent the time to figure out what the
> > Russians call it.
> The journalist who wrote the article isn't Russian or Ukrainian, and
> wasn't writing for Russian or Ukranian readers.
>
> I've just gone back to the article to see who wrote it. He's an American
> who was born in Texas and educated in South Carolina. He used the term
> "bowser" in the British sense, not the Australian sense.
>
> "Aviation bowser" could be a term of art at airports.

Even before the year 2001?

Re: [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?

<87ce67f1-cffd-40d7-b143-3d9eb05b3c27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=196841&group=alt.usage.english#196841

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 12:20:16 -0700 (PDT)
familiar to you?
From: bruce1.9...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 19:20 UTC

On Monday, October 23, 2023 at 3:02:46 PM UTC-4, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2023-10-23 18:52:45 +0000, Sam Plusnet said:

> >> That's also what the RCAF calls them.
> >>
> > I'm sure this is a repeat from a few months back.
> > Someone made assumptions about "Bowser" being a very obscure term, and
> > the whole thing was fully explained back then.
>
> I have to confess that the only Bowser I know of is Bruce.

But we'd all rather you talk about the best café in the EU for French home-brewed beer or for French brewed coffee.

interests / alt.usage.english / [bowsers] Is the author misusing the slang trademark or is it familiar to you?