The only "ism" Hollywood believes in is plagiarism. -- Dorothy Parker

interests / alt.usage.english / Name for a term in software development

SubjectAuthor
* Name for a term in software developmentPaul Epstein
+* Re: Name for a term in software developmentPeter Moylan
|`- Re: Name for a term in software developmentSnidely
`- Re: Name for a term in software developmentStefan Ram

1
Name for a term in software development

<a17c2f49-061c-4968-9624-b32ecf9f3dc5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=190953&group=alt.usage.english#190953

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 15:30:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Name for a term in software development
From: pepste...@gmail.com (Paul Epstein)
 by: Paul Epstein - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 22:30 UTC

When a coder makes an error, we would probably call it a "coding error".
But is there a standard term for an error in understanding what code does?
Would that be a "code-reading error"? That doesn't seem like a very standard
term.
How about someone who accuses someone of making an error when the
other person's code is fine? What's the word (or phrase) for that in software
development?

Thank You.

Paul Epstein

Re: Name for a term in software development

<uctvom$2ilq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=190958&group=alt.usage.english#190958

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Name for a term in software development
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 10:31:13 +1000
 by: Peter Moylan - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 00:31 UTC

On 02/09/23 08:30, Paul Epstein wrote:

> When a coder makes an error, we would probably call it a "coding
> error". But is there a standard term for an error in understanding
> what code does? Would that be a "code-reading error"? That doesn't
> seem like a very standard term.

I don't know the answer, but you've reminded me of something that
happened a lot when I was teaching programming. A student would come to
me and say "My program doesn't work. Can you tell me what is wrong?".
I'd read his code, and when I got to a confusing tangle I'd ask "What
were you trying to do at this stage?". Almost always, he/she didn't
know. Those lost students didn't understand their own code.

Eventually, I got around such problems by refusing to look at the code
until the comments had been inserted.

> How about someone who accuses someone of making an error when the
> other person's code is fine? What's the word (or phrase) for that in
> software development?

That's something I've never met. Perhaps I've only had polite colleagues.

--
Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
Newcastle, NSW

Re: Name for a term in software development

<mn.0c9d7e79de6b6410.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=190979&group=alt.usage.english#190979

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 19:41:25 -0700
 by: Snidely - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 02:41 UTC

On Friday or thereabouts, Peter Moylan asked ...
> On 02/09/23 08:30, Paul Epstein wrote:
>
>> When a coder makes an error, we would probably call it a "coding
>> error". But is there a standard term for an error in understanding
>> what code does? Would that be a "code-reading error"? That doesn't
>> seem like a very standard term.
>
> I don't know the answer, but you've reminded me of something that
> happened a lot when I was teaching programming. A student would come to
> me and say "My program doesn't work. Can you tell me what is wrong?".
> I'd read his code, and when I got to a confusing tangle I'd ask "What
> were you trying to do at this stage?". Almost always, he/she didn't
> know. Those lost students didn't understand their own code.
>
> Eventually, I got around such problems by refusing to look at the code
> until the comments had been inserted.
>
>> How about someone who accuses someone of making an error when the
>> other person's code is fine? What's the word (or phrase) for that in
>> software development?
>
> That's something I've never met. Perhaps I've only had polite colleagues.

Maybe "systematic error" (sorry about the puffy cheeks).

Not a new problem, of course ... here's a word to the wise from 1975:

<URL:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hdJQkn8rtA>

/dps

--
We’ve learned way more than we wanted to know about the early history
of American professional basketball, like that you could have once

Re: Name for a term in software development

<error-20230902093655@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=191015&group=alt.usage.english#191015

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 2 Sep 2023 08:37:26 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 08:37 UTC

Paul Epstein <pepstein5@gmail.com> writes:
>But is there a standard term for an error in understanding what code does?

"Misinterpretation"? "parsing error"? "reading comprehension error"?
"decoding error"? "misreading"?

>How about someone who accuses someone of making an error when the
>other person's code is fine? What's the word (or phrase) for that in software
>development?

I already mentioned here: "spurious error message".

interests / alt.usage.english / Name for a term in software development