Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 20:08:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Walk the talk: the world needs more Gretas and fewer Leonardos
From: jazeev1...@gmail.com (Thomas Joseph)
 by: Thomas Joseph - Mon, 14 Aug 2023 03:08 UTC

On Thursday, August 10, 2023 at 3:29:01 PM UTC-4, Dave P. wrote:
> [...]
> bloomberg dot com/news/articles/2022-10-29/tesla-begins-clearing-german-forest-to-expand-electric-car-plant
> Having a small gas car and driving it as little as possible is better than driving one of those monster EVs they are making now. No car, for those who can, is even better, but of course it requires good alternative options to get to work and other needs. If you look at older cities in Europe, Asia and to an extent Africa, they were all built with proximity in mind. The car changed everything.
> ---------------
> Hugh Cornwell, Aug 9, 2023 at 10:17 am
> Gaia, a beautifully written piece . . . and so true. I look forward to sharing it with family and friends.
> ----------------
> Gaia Baracetti, Aug 9, 2023 at 10:46 am
> Thank you.
> --------------
> barbara10outlookcom, Aug 9, 2023 at 4:27 pm
> If we are looking for hypocrisy, look no further than the overpopulation of dogs, cats and other pets, many of them owned by environmentalists. They also do a lot of environmental damage, and consume huge quanitities of meat, medication, vets’ bills etc etc. Funny how that is never mentioned by the greenies.
> ---------------
> Gaia Baracetti, Aug 9, 2023 at 6:11 pm
> I absolutely agree, and would add all other animals that are kept just for company or leisure (equines, birds, rabbits, snakes, fish, turtles, you name it). On top of eating meat and other food, cats and dogs are terrible for local small mammals and birds, to the point of potentially causing local extinctions, and it’s been observed that their urine and feces can alter the flora.
> With carnivores, the hypocrisy is obvious. But also horses, donkeys and other herbivores: since they fall into the “pet” category, they are exempt from all the accusations thrown at cows, sheep and goats. But they eat a lot (you could feed a family with the land that feeds a couple horses), drink a lot of water, and can wreck the soil if kept in the same place.
> Humans domesticated animals because they had some purpose for them... now if you have something for the animals to do, you’re “exploiting them”, but if they are pets, you are an “animal lover”. Even if you keep said animals in unnatural conditions, caged or alone, which is almost invariably the case as it’s very hard to keep animals according to their nature and needs.
> Not to mention that, when people tire of their pets, they often cannot be eaten but end up living a miserable life locked up somewhere, often at the taxpayers’ expense. A lucky few are taken to rescue centres run by well-meaning but self-righteous people that don’t think about the resources they are wasting (they always seem to get donations…)
> ------------------
> David Walker, Cape Town, South Africa, Aug 10, 2023 at 10:21 am
> Very thoughtful article, Gaia, thank you!

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Walk the talk: the world needs more Gretas and fewer Leonardos

<e8f87a66-6f64-4fc2-8bec-b223392a18e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18850&group=alt.obituaries#18850

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 01:50:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: jazeev1...@gmail.com (Thomas Joseph)
 by: Thomas Joseph - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 08:50 UTC

On Tuesday, August 15, 2023 at 1:42:19 PM UTC-4, Dave P. wrote:
> Thomas Joseph wrote:
> > Dave P. wrote:
> > > By Gaia Baracetti, Aug 8, 2023, The Overpopulation Project
> > > [ . . . ]
> > > https://overpopulation-project.com/walk-the-talk-the-world-needs-more-gretas-and-fewer-leonardos/
> > Speaking of over-consumption, that was an all-consuming article for sure.
> > Lucky for you I have no strong and final opinion on the topic of over population
> > and over consumption which, as you say, go hand in hand. I can go either way
> > with it. A frightened (and selfish) part of me says, "No more people, we have
> > enough", and another part says, "What difference does it make?" When cancer
> > overtakes a body it is at its peak. It's 'winning'. Right? But then it goes too
> > far and consumes the entirety of what it was living on. Then it dies too. Well,
> > the way I see it we are no different from cancer. We are germs too. We want
> > to overtake things. I guess for many centuries wars were used instinctively
> > to keep the population down. So one part of me says enough is enough,
> > no more people, while another part says, "Keep 'em coming, who gives a crap?"
> --------------
> There are plenty of people who say: "I don't care what happens after I'm dead."
> Two of my friends say that; one is a scientist.
> A lot of people also say: "War is inevitable, and there's nothing you can do about it:
> it's human nature!"

I care about what happens to me after I'm dead but agree that war
is inevitable and there's nothing we can do about it, and if you don't
like it or want to make something out of it - well here I am punk! You
want a piece of my human nature? Come on punk, let's get it on!

Just kidding. I too don't care what happens to me after I'm dead -
as long as I'm dead all the way. See, I have a theory that life cannot
die. It's not my theory alone of course. Life does not die. I don't
care what they do with my body. Have a ball. But when I'm dead I
want to be 100% there, not lying around for eternity wishing I could
breathe. Or eat. Or move. Jesus, give me some movement!

Re: Walk the talk: the world needs more Gretas and fewer Leonardos

<f16d54de-b374-4111-9ab2-9af25c5b0edcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18962&group=alt.obituaries#18962

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 17:40:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: jazeev1...@gmail.com (Thomas Joseph)
 by: Thomas Joseph - Thu, 24 Aug 2023 00:40 UTC

On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 12:48:08 PM UTC-4, Dave P. wrote:
> Thomas Joseph wrote:
> > Dave P. wrote:
> > > --------------
> > > There are plenty of people who say: "I don't care what happens after I'm dead."
> > > Two of my friends say that; one is a scientist.
> > > A lot of people also say: "War is inevitable, and there's nothing you can do about it:
> > > it's human nature!"
> > ------------------------
> > I care about what happens to me after I'm dead
> ---------------
> I didn't say "what happens TO ME after I'm dead"..... I said "what happens after I'm dead".
> One is specific, the other is in general.
>
> > ...but agree that war is inevitable and there's nothing we can do about it,
> ------------------
> We haven't tried making it a job requirement of politicians to attend regular
> meetings of Politicians Anonymous, to learn a new way of life,... how to be
> more honest and less selfish! Why would you want to give up before
> trying some alternatives?
>
> > ...and if you don't
> > like it or want to make something out of it - well here I am punk! You
> > want a piece of my human nature? Come on punk, let's get it on!
> >
> > Just kidding. I too don't care what happens to me after I'm dead -
> > as long as I'm dead all the way. See, I have a theory that life cannot
> > die. It's not my theory alone of course. Life does not die. I don't
> > care what they do with my body. Have a ball. But when I'm dead I
> > want to be 100% there, not lying around for eternity wishing I could
> > breathe. Or eat. Or move. Jesus, give me some movement!

The voters are selfish. Politicians are their mirror. I can't stand
politics. The subject bores me. Always has except for a year or
so when I was 18 and an older guy introduced me to Barry Goldwater.
We went to Madison Square Garden to see him. It was chilling, the
loud crowd, the roars, the whole thing. Mr. G lost the election in what
I believe was the biggest landslide defeat in American election history.
Something to be proud of, I'd say. His opponents labeled him a war
monger, saying that if he is elected he's going to get us into WW3.
Then only a few years later I see that Barry is still in the Senate, from
Arizona, and is a revered elder statesman in that milieu. I realized then
that it's just a game. A boring one at that. I was 18 at the time and
was too young to vote. God, am I glad. Otherwise my never having
voted streak of "all my life" would not be intact.

Re: Walk the talk: the world needs more Gretas and fewer Leonardos

<51e5a052-4154-4d2c-ba83-8984e96befe7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=19002&group=alt.obituaries#19002

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 17:49:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: jazeev1...@gmail.com (Thomas Joseph)
 by: Thomas Joseph - Mon, 28 Aug 2023 00:49 UTC

A lot of words have vague meaning. Power for instance. The people we
see as having power are workers. The President of the US works has a
boss, maybe a bunch of them. Sometimes I think the best power comes
with having less but enough to get by. Lots of words are iffy. Along with
power we've got wealth and freedom. I don't hate politicians, I'm just
bored with the whole scene, and I'm glad. The voters bitch more about
politicians than people who don't vote. Also, I don't care if topics change
within a thread. In fact I like it. But I am sickened by almost any discussion
on any topic turning almost surely into a political debate. It seems to be all
people know. It's because they carry the news around 24/7 on their dumb
smartphones. Used to be if you wanted to follow politics you'd have to turn
on the TV or buy the newspaper. Today it's on your phone 24/7 and it's not
easy for most to avoid. Comedy is all about politics now. It's total garbage.
Even the sports page. It's all about gender bias, unfair pay and treatment
for women and other 'minorities'. I used to read two papers a day - just for
enjoyment. Only the stuff I wanted to read. I'd build a magazine out of it
and toss the rest in the trash. Today the yield is virtually zero as politics
dominates everything, and as a result it seems to be all people know how
to talk about. And it makes me sick. I want to talk about that - how sick
it makes me feel. Thanks for listening if you made it this far.

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Walk the talk: the world needs more Gretas and fewer Leonardos