Newsgroups: sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.misc
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Why the Navy says its Red Sea and Gulf of Aden battles are historic
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 13:45:48 -0800
 by: a425couple - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:45 UTC

from
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2024/02/13/why-the-navy-says-its-red-sea-and-gulf-of-aden-battles-are-historic/

But the big question is, are we learning more about their assets,
or are they learning more about ours?

Why the Navy says its Red Sea and Gulf of Aden battles are historic
By Geoff Ziezulewicz
Tuesday, Feb 13

U.S. Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Lisa Franchetti speaks Feb. 13,
2024, at the West conference in San Diego.

SAN DIEGO — The Navy’s ongoing battles with Iran-backed Houthi rebels in
the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden have resulted in destroyers shooting down
14 anti-ship ballistic missiles “for the first time in history,” the
Navy’s top officer said Tuesday at the annual West 2024 conference here.

Since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October, the warships Carney,
Gravely, Laboon, Mason and Thomas Hudner have destroyed more than 70
drones and seven Houthi cruise missiles, Chief of Naval Operations Adm.
Lisa Franchetti said.

Anti-ship ballistic missiles are designed to hit vessels like Navy
destroyers, and their deployment by the Houthis against military and
commercial ships in the region is believed to be the first time such
munitions have been used in a conflict.

In recent months, the Navy has also pounded Houthi positions in Yemen,
eliminating missiles and kamikaze drones that are still on the ground
but prepared to fire.

“And that’s really just the start of what our Navy is doing around the
world,” Franchetti said. “We can walk and chew gum at the same time.”

RELATED

All the Houthi-US Navy incidents in the Middle East (that we know of)
A non-exhaustive, running list of Houthi attacks in the Middle East and
the U.S. strikes back at them.
By Jonathan Lehrfeld, Diana Stancy and Geoff Ziezulewicz
She also noted the Navy is being challenged in the world’s waters to a
level that hasn’t been seen since World War II.

“For the first time since World War II, we no longer operate from a
maritime sanctuary against competitors who cannot threaten us today,”
she said. “Sea control is neither guaranteed nor freely given.”

About Geoff Ziezulewicz
Geoff is the editor of Navy Times, but he still loves writing stories.
He covered Iraq and Afghanistan extensively and was a reporter at the
Chicago Tribune. He welcomes any and all kinds of tips at
geoffz@militarytimes.com.