Life sucks, but death doesn't put out at all. -- Thomas J. Kopp

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Tony Soprano calls spaghetti sauce "gravy" --- Goomar -- (Sacre Bleu)

SubjectAuthor
* Tony Soprano calls spaghetti sauce "gravy" --- Goomar -- (Sacre Bleu)henh...@gmail.com
`- Re: Tony Soprano calls spaghetti sauce "gravy" --- Goomar -- (Sacre Bleu)Bebercito

1
Tony Soprano calls spaghetti sauce "gravy" --- Goomar -- (Sacre Bleu)

<2889c47b-b6af-4ef9-ad2d-b57f2d20f235n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=187968&group=alt.usage.english#187968

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:46:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Tony Soprano calls spaghetti sauce "gravy" --- Goomar -- (Sacre Bleu)
From: henha...@gmail.com (henh...@gmail.com)
 by: henh...@gmail.com - Fri, 11 Aug 2023 22:46 UTC

did Tony Soprano call spaghetti sauce "gravy" ?

Yes, Tony Soprano often called spaghetti sauce "gravy". This is a common practice among Italian-Americans, who use the word "gravy" to refer to any type of meat sauce.

The term "gravy" is thought to have originated in the southern Italian region of Campania, where it was used to refer to a sauce made with tomatoes, meat, and bread.

In the HBO series The Sopranos, Tony Soprano is often seen eating spaghetti with "gravy".

Some Italian-Americans prefer to use the term "sauce", while others use the term "ragù".

Goomar: This is a slang term for a mistress or girlfriend. It is often used in Italian-American communities.

The etymology of the word "goomah" is uncertain, but it is thought to come from the Italian word "comare", which means "godmother".

In Italian-American communities, the term "comare" is often used to refer to a close female friend or confidante. The term "goomah" is thought to be a slang variation of "comare" that is used to refer to a mistress or girlfriend.

The word "goomah" first appeared in print in the early 20th century. It was used in the context of Italian-American culture, and it was often used to refer to a mistress or girlfriend of a Mafia boss. The word "goomah" became more widely known in the English-speaking world in the 1990s, when it was used in the HBO series The Sopranos. The Sopranos is a fictional drama about a New Jersey mobster, and the term "goomah" was used throughout the series to refer to the mobster's mistresses.

_______________________

Made guy: This is a term for a member of the Mafia who has been inducted into the organization. Made guys are considered to be part of the "family" and are expected to follow the organization's rules.

Whacked: This is a slang term for being murdered. It is often used in the context of the Mafia.

Chopped liver: This is a slang term for something that is considered to be worthless or unimportant. It is often used in a humorous way.

Oof Madonn': This is an Italian exclamation that is used to express surprise, anger, or frustration. It is often used by Tony Soprano and other characters on the show.

Meadowlands: This is a reference to the Meadowlands Sports Complex, which is a large sports and entertainment complex in East Rutherford, New
Jersey. The Meadowlands is often used as a setting for scenes in The Sopranos.

Schumin': This is a slang term for driving slowly. It is often used in a derogatory way to describe someone who is driving too slowly.

_____________________________

Sacre bleu: This is a French exclamation that is used to express surprise, anger, or frustration. It is often used by Paulie Walnuts and other characters on the show.

The etymology of the French exclamation "sacre bleu" is uncertain, but it is thought to come from the Old French word "sacrer," which means "to make holy" or "to consecrate." The word "bleu" is thought to have been added to the word "sacrer" as a way of avoiding using the name of God in vain.

"Sacre bleu" is first attested in print in the 18th century. It was used in the context of religious blasphemy, and it was often used as a way of expressing surprise, anger, or frustration. The expression became more widely known in the English-speaking world in the 19th century, when it was used in the works of Charles Dickens and other authors.

Today, "sacre bleu" is still used in French, but it is not as common as it once was. This is because French society has become more secular, and there is less of a taboo against using religious expressions. "Sacre bleu" is still sometimes used in English, but it is often used ironically or humorously.

Here are some other interesting facts about "sacre bleu":

It is thought that the French playwright Molière coined the expression..

It is often used in conjunction with other French expressions, such as "mon Dieu" (my God) and "parbleu" (by God).

It is sometimes used as a euphemism for the English swear word "bloody."

It is a popular expression in French-Canadian culture.

It is a popular expression in the comic strip Astérix.

Re: Tony Soprano calls spaghetti sauce "gravy" --- Goomar -- (Sacre Bleu)

<d5bcb847-1391-4b1e-a39f-3a3a6a3af899n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=187994&group=alt.usage.english#187994

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 22:30:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: beberc...@aol.com (Bebercito)
 by: Bebercito - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 05:30 UTC

Le samedi 12 août 2023 à 00:46:29 UTC+2, henh...@gmail.com a écrit :
> [...]
>
> Today, "sacre bleu" is still used in French, but it is not as common as it once was. This is because French society has become more secular, and there is less of a taboo against using religious expressions. "Sacre bleu" is still sometimes used in English, but it is often used ironically or humorously.
>

> Here are some other interesting facts about "sacre bleu":
>

> It is thought that the French playwright Molière coined the expression.
>
> It is often used in conjunction with other French expressions, such as "mon Dieu" (my God) and "parbleu" (by God).

No.

> It is sometimes used as a euphemism for the English swear word "bloody."

No, "bloody" as a swearword is an intensifier, while "sacrebleu" is an interjection.

> It is a popular expression in French-Canadian culture.
>
> It is a popular expression in the comic strip Astérix.

But it's always one word, i.e. "sacrebleu", not two.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Tony Soprano calls spaghetti sauce "gravy" --- Goomar -- (Sacre Bleu)