From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Alien Day (26 April)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 23:06:41 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 11:06 UTC

"...organized since 2016 by 20th Century Fox to promote the _Alien_
franchise."

"The date is a reference to the name of the moon where the aliens were
first discovered: LV-426."

Feh.

Crystal goes on about ideas of what languages of extra-terrestrial
creatures might be like, and actual ones that have been created, for
movies and books.

Francis Godwin (1562-1633), Bishop of Llandaf and of Hereford, wrote a
story of a voyage to the moon, where he describes the language of the
Lunars, which "consists not so much of Words and Letters, as Tunes and
strange Sounds...there are few Words but signify several Things, and and
are distinguished only by their Sounds, , which are sung as it were in
uttering; yea, many Words consist of Tunes only, without Words."

This idea of linguistic Otherness as musical was apparently popular at
the time, and could well have been inspired by early accounts of the
tones of Chinese.

Re: Alien Day (26 April)

<7c555da6da1620ee2dd3e697d7c70d40@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=18787&group=sci.lang#18787

Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 10:05:09 +0000
Subject: Re: Alien Day (26 April)
From: HenHa...@dev.null (HenHanna)
Newsgroups: sci.lang
 by: HenHanna - Thu, 2 May 2024 10:05 UTC

____________________________

> Francis Godwin (1562-1633), Bishop of Llandaf and of Hereford, wrote a
> story of a voyage to the moon, where he describes the language of the
> Lunars, which "consists not so much of Words and Letters, as Tunes and
> strange Sounds...there are few Words but signify several Things, and and
> are distinguished only by their Sounds, , which are sung as it were in
> uttering; yea, many Words consist of Tunes only, without Words."

> This idea of linguistic Otherness as musical was apparently popular at
> the time, and could well have been inspired by early accounts of the
> tones of Chinese.

Did you watch the Sci.Fi. movie with Amy Adams as the brilliant Linguist decoding Alien language?

When i was young, i'd try to read a book entitled LINCOS.

Lincos: Design of a Language for Cosmic Intercourse. Part 1

The language developed by Freudenthal is called Lincos (his acronym for "lingua cosmica").

The book's author is called Hans Freudenthal. The book is called LINCOS and was published in 1960 by North-Holland Press (later absorbed by Springer Verlag).

tech / sci.lang / Alien Day (26 April)