How can you do 'New Math' problems with an 'Old Math' mind? -- Charles Schulz

interests / alt.obituaries / Oscar Brashear, 78, jazz trumpeter

SubjectAuthor
* Oscar Brashear, 78, jazz trumpeterMichael Rhodes
`- Re: Oscar Brashear, 78, jazz trumpeterAdam H. Kerman

1
Oscar Brashear, 78, jazz trumpeter

<a1baa8de-b13b-45e5-8d71-f7ed816f996en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18444&group=alt.obituaries#18444

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 03:43:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Oscar Brashear, 78, jazz trumpeter
From: mig73all...@yahoo.co.uk (Michael Rhodes)
 by: Michael Rhodes - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 10:43 UTC

Oscar Brashear, who died July 7, 2023, aged 78, was an American jazz trumpeter and session musician from Chicago, Illinois. After studying at DuSable High School and Wright Jr. College (currently known as Wilbur Wright College) under John DeRoule he worked briefly with Woody Herman before going on to join Count Basie '68-9, returning to freelance in Chicago with Sonny Stitt, Gene Ammons, Dexter Gordon and James Moody.

https://jazzonthetube.com/video/remembering-oscar-brashear/

Re: Oscar Brashear, 78, jazz trumpeter

<u93n1f$19g4u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=18448&group=alt.obituaries#18448

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Oscar Brashear, 78, jazz trumpeter
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 15:34:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 15:34 UTC

Michael Rhodes <mig73allenford2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Oscar Brashear, who died July 7, 2023, aged 78, was an American jazz
>trumpeter and session musician from Chicago, Illinois. After studying at
>DuSable High School and Wright Jr. College (currently known as Wilbur
>Wright College) under John DeRoule he worked briefly with Woody Herman
>before going on to join Count Basie '68-9, returning to freelance in
>Chicago with Sonny Stitt, Gene Ammons, Dexter Gordon and James Moody.

>https://jazzonthetube.com/video/remembering-oscar-brashear/

fwiw, the current college facility is an entirely different campus that
opened in 1993. Brashear wouldn't have attended there.

The term "junior college" for a two-year college (if the student
attended full time, which few ever did) fell into disfavor and was
replaced with the euphemism "community college". If such colleges were
entry-level colleges, the student completed freshman and sophmore years,
then transferred to a four-year college for junionr and senior years.
These colleges used to be affordable and the student may have been more
successful at the four-year college having demonstrated academic
aptitude.

Most students typically attended the evening program part time while
working full time and weren't necessarily seeking four-year college
degrees but continuing education to qualify for better jobs.

In Chicago, there were initially a few full-time colleges on their own
campuses with the evening program offered at the larger high schools,
but the decision was made in the 1960s to go with big-time spending,
building additional campuses throughout the city. Some of the colleges
are on their third locations as even the expanded colleges were
replaced.

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled obituary.

interests / alt.obituaries / Oscar Brashear, 78, jazz trumpeter