Accept people for what they are -- completely unacceptable.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

SubjectAuthor
* Momentarily -- US vs international usageSteve Hayes
`* Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usageRoss Clark
 +* Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usagePeter T. Daniels
 |`* Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usageRoss Clark
 | `- Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usageMadhu
 +* Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usagelar3ryca
 |`* Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usageHibou
 | `* Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usageSam Plusnet
 |  +* Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usagephil
 |  |`- Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usageSam Plusnet
 |  `* Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usageSnidely
 |   `* Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usageKerr-Mudd, John
 |    `- Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usageSnidely
 +* Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usageDingbat
 |`- Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usagePeter T. Daniels
 `* Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usageSteve Hayes
  `- Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usageMark Brader

1
Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<s0q78ipt9qimutgsg4pfc2jpo12suqr334@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181233&group=alt.usage.english#181233

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Subject: Momentarily -- US vs international usage
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 05:14:21 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 03:14 UTC

I've noticed that in the US nowadays people often use "momentarily" to
mean "soon", or "shortly", whereas in most other English-speaking
countries "momentarily" is used almost exclusively to mean "of short
duration", or "for a short time", and become rathert nervous, as
aircraft passengers, with announcements like "We will be taking off
momentarily", which implies that the aircraft is expected to crash
shortly after take-off.

But here is an exceperpt from a UK newpaper of about 200 years ago
that shows that the usage that now seems confined to the US was once
current in the UK at least.

"Although Wednesday's mail, momentarily expected when our last number
went to press, as we then stated, brought very important intelligence,
we had no opportunity of announcing its substance in a second edition,
as it did not reach Carlisle till five o'clock in the afternoon. The
snow was of immense thickness in many places, and the coaches were
stopped on all the roads. On Sunday morning, the thaw commenced; on
Tuesday it rained; Wednesday and Thursday were very fine clear days;
and at this time (Friday night), the snow has almost every where
disappeared, we enjoy the mildness of spring, and the communication is
restored in all directions. The London mail coach came over Stainmoor,
for the first time for several days, on Tuesday" (Carlisle Patriot, 15
Feb 1823).

"
--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<u61id8$297ha$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181243&group=alt.usage.english#181243

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 22:13:54 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 10:13 UTC

On 10/06/2023 3:14 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:
> I've noticed that in the US nowadays people often use "momentarily" to
> mean "soon", or "shortly", whereas in most other English-speaking
> countries "momentarily" is used almost exclusively to mean "of short
> duration", or "for a short time", and become rathert nervous, as
> aircraft passengers, with announcements like "We will be taking off
> momentarily", which implies that the aircraft is expected to crash
> shortly after take-off.
>
> But here is an exceperpt from a UK newpaper of about 200 years ago
> that shows that the usage that now seems confined to the US was once
> current in the UK at least.
>
> "Although Wednesday's mail, momentarily expected when our last number
> went to press, as we then stated, brought very important intelligence,
> we had no opportunity of announcing its substance in a second edition,
> as it did not reach Carlisle till five o'clock in the afternoon. The
> snow was of immense thickness in many places, and the coaches were
> stopped on all the roads. On Sunday morning, the thaw commenced; on
> Tuesday it rained; Wednesday and Thursday were very fine clear days;
> and at this time (Friday night), the snow has almost every where
> disappeared, we enjoy the mildness of spring, and the communication is
> restored in all directions. The London mail coach came over Stainmoor,
> for the first time for several days, on Tuesday" (Carlisle Patriot, 15
> Feb 1823).

That is interesting. I had not been conscious of a pondian difference.
OED's account has the following:

1. For a moment; for a very short time, fleetingly. (from 1655)
4. 4. Chiefly North American. At any moment; in a moment, soon. (from
1869).

The clue may be in the intermediate senses:

2. At the moment; instantly. Now rare. (from 1739)
3. At every moment; moment by moment. Now rare. (from 1763)

Perhaps the coach in your example was expected, not "in a moment, soon",
but rather "at every moment". Here's another case of "momentarily
expecting":

1847 C. Brontë Jane Eyre II. i. 1 During the early part of the
morning, I momentarily expected his coming.

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<04befd39-7ab8-4402-96e5-0399fd346f14n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181261&group=alt.usage.english#181261

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 06:06:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 13:06 UTC

On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 6:14:06 AM UTC-4, Ross Clark wrote:
> On 10/06/2023 3:14 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:

> > I've noticed that in the US nowadays people often use "momentarily" to
> > mean "soon", or "shortly", whereas in most other English-speaking
> > countries "momentarily" is used almost exclusively to mean "of short
> > duration", or "for a short time", and become rathert nervous, as
> > aircraft passengers, with announcements like "We will be taking off
> > momentarily", which implies that the aircraft is expected to crash
> > shortly after take-off.
> >
> > But here is an exceperpt from a UK newpaper of about 200 years ago
> > that shows that the usage that now seems confined to the US was once
> > current in the UK at least.
> >
> > "Although Wednesday's mail, momentarily expected when our last number
> > went to press, as we then stated, brought very important intelligence,
> > we had no opportunity of announcing its substance in a second edition,
> > as it did not reach Carlisle till five o'clock in the afternoon. The
> > snow was of immense thickness in many places, and the coaches were
> > stopped on all the roads. On Sunday morning, the thaw commenced; on
> > Tuesday it rained; Wednesday and Thursday were very fine clear days;
> > and at this time (Friday night), the snow has almost every where
> > disappeared, we enjoy the mildness of spring, and the communication is
> > restored in all directions. The London mail coach came over Stainmoor,
> > for the first time for several days, on Tuesday" (Carlisle Patriot, 15
> > Feb 1823).
>
> That is interesting. I had not been conscious of a pondian difference.

It's been a prescriptivist bugbear and a Pondian marker for ages.

Steve is wrong about "nowadays."

> OED's account has the following:
>
> 1. For a moment; for a very short time, fleetingly. (from 1655)
> 4. 4. Chiefly North American. At any moment; in a moment, soon. (from
> 1869).
>
> The clue may be in the intermediate senses:
>
> 2. At the moment; instantly. Now rare. (from 1739)
> 3. At every moment; moment by moment. Now rare. (from 1763)
>
> Perhaps the coach in your example was expected, not "in a moment, soon",
> but rather "at every moment". Here's another case of "momentarily
> expecting":
>
> 1847 C. Brontë Jane Eyre II. i. 1 During the early part of the
> morning, I momentarily expected his coming.

The expecting, or the coming?

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<u625od$2b9kp$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181283&group=alt.usage.english#181283

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 09:44:13 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 15:44 UTC

On 2023-06-10 04:13, Ross Clark wrote:
> On 10/06/2023 3:14 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:
>> I've noticed that in the US nowadays people often use "momentarily" to
>> mean "soon", or "shortly", whereas in most other English-speaking
>> countries "momentarily" is used almost exclusively to mean "of short
>> duration", or "for a short time", and become rathert nervous, as
>> aircraft passengers, with announcements like "We will be taking off
>> momentarily", which implies that the aircraft is expected to crash
>> shortly after take-off.
>>
>> But here is an exceperpt from a UK newpaper of about 200 years ago
>> that shows that the usage that now seems confined to the US was once
>> current in the UK at least.
>>
>> "Although Wednesday's mail, momentarily expected when our last number
>> went to press, as we then stated, brought very important intelligence,
>> we had no opportunity of announcing its substance in a second edition,
>> as it did not reach Carlisle till five o'clock in the afternoon. The
>> snow was of immense thickness in many places, and the coaches were
>> stopped on all the roads. On Sunday morning, the thaw commenced; on
>> Tuesday it rained; Wednesday and Thursday were very fine clear days;
>> and at this time (Friday night), the snow has almost every where
>> disappeared, we enjoy the mildness of spring, and the communication is
>> restored in all directions. The London mail coach came over Stainmoor,
>> for the first time for several days, on Tuesday" (Carlisle Patriot, 15
>> Feb 1823).
>
> That is interesting. I had not been conscious of a pondian difference.
> OED's account has the following:
>
> 1. For a moment; for a very short time, fleetingly. (from 1655)
> 4. 4. Chiefly North American. At any moment; in a moment, soon. (from
> 1869).

I would almost narrow that down to 'Chiefly US.", as I have only noticed
that usage in the past 10 years or so. It still bugs me.

> The clue may be in the intermediate senses:
>
> 2. At the moment; instantly. Now rare. (from 1739)
> 3. At every moment; moment by moment. Now rare. (from 1763)
>
> Perhaps the coach in your example was expected, not "in a moment, soon",
> but rather "at every moment". Here's another case of "momentarily
> expecting":
>
> 1847   C. Brontë Jane Eyre II. i. 1   During the early part of the
> morning, I momentarily expected his coming.

--
'Forty' is the only number that has all its letters in alphabetical order.

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<u62902$2bs70$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181295&group=alt.usage.english#181295

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 17:39:30 +0100
 by: Hibou - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 16:39 UTC

Le 10/06/2023 à 16:44, lar3ryca a écrit :
> On 2023-06-10 04:13, Ross Clark wrote:
>>
>> That is interesting. I had not been conscious of a pondian difference.
>> OED's account has the following:
>>
>> 1. For a moment; for a very short time, fleetingly. (from 1655)
>> 4. 4. Chiefly North American. At any moment; in a moment, soon. (from
>> 1869).
>
> I would almost narrow that down to 'Chiefly US.", as I have only noticed
> that usage in the past 10 years or so. It still bugs me.

The annoyance may be more than momentary. Such usages leak across the
Ocean (few things are worse than a leaky ocean)...

AmE:
<https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=was+momentarily+at+a+loss%2Cwill+be+with+you+momentarily&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=en-US-2019&smoothing=3>

BrE:
<https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=was+momentarily+at+a+loss%2Cwill+be+with+you+momentarily&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=en-GB-2019&smoothing=3>

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<Gp3hM.20412$AF%b.1533@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181303&group=alt.usage.english#181303

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 19:37:26 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 18:37 UTC

On 10-Jun-23 17:39, Hibou wrote:

> The annoyance may be more than momentary. Such usages leak across the
> Ocean (few things are worse than a leaky ocean)...

Agreed.

We would all prefer one that is continent.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<u62lig$2dfim$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181308&group=alt.usage.english#181308

From: phi...@anonymous.invalid (phil)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 21:14:06 +0100
 by: phil - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 20:14 UTC

On 10/06/2023 19:37, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 10-Jun-23 17:39, Hibou wrote:
>
>> The annoyance may be more than momentary. Such usages leak across the
>> Ocean (few things are worse than a leaky ocean)...
>
> Agreed.
>
> We would all prefer one that is continent.

I wouldn't like to have to replace the liner...

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<u62mhr$2dkri$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181310&group=alt.usage.english#181310

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 08:30:45 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 20:30 UTC

On 11/06/2023 1:06 a.m., Peter T. Daniels wrote:
> On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 6:14:06 AM UTC-4, Ross Clark wrote:
>> On 10/06/2023 3:14 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:
>
>>> I've noticed that in the US nowadays people often use "momentarily" to
>>> mean "soon", or "shortly", whereas in most other English-speaking
>>> countries "momentarily" is used almost exclusively to mean "of short
>>> duration", or "for a short time", and become rathert nervous, as
>>> aircraft passengers, with announcements like "We will be taking off
>>> momentarily", which implies that the aircraft is expected to crash
>>> shortly after take-off.
>>>
>>> But here is an exceperpt from a UK newpaper of about 200 years ago
>>> that shows that the usage that now seems confined to the US was once
>>> current in the UK at least.
>>>
>>> "Although Wednesday's mail, momentarily expected when our last number
>>> went to press, as we then stated, brought very important intelligence,
>>> we had no opportunity of announcing its substance in a second edition,
>>> as it did not reach Carlisle till five o'clock in the afternoon. The
>>> snow was of immense thickness in many places, and the coaches were
>>> stopped on all the roads. On Sunday morning, the thaw commenced; on
>>> Tuesday it rained; Wednesday and Thursday were very fine clear days;
>>> and at this time (Friday night), the snow has almost every where
>>> disappeared, we enjoy the mildness of spring, and the communication is
>>> restored in all directions. The London mail coach came over Stainmoor,
>>> for the first time for several days, on Tuesday" (Carlisle Patriot, 15
>>> Feb 1823).
>>
>> That is interesting. I had not been conscious of a pondian difference.
>
> It's been a prescriptivist bugbear and a Pondian marker for ages.
>
> Steve is wrong about "nowadays."
>
>> OED's account has the following:
>>
>> 1. For a moment; for a very short time, fleetingly. (from 1655)
>> 4. 4. Chiefly North American. At any moment; in a moment, soon. (from
>> 1869).
>>
>> The clue may be in the intermediate senses:
>>
>> 2. At the moment; instantly. Now rare. (from 1739)
>> 3. At every moment; moment by moment. Now rare. (from 1763)
>>
>> Perhaps the coach in your example was expected, not "in a moment, soon",
>> but rather "at every moment". Here's another case of "momentarily
>> expecting":
>>
>> 1847 C. Brontë Jane Eyre II. i. 1 During the early part of the
>> morning, I momentarily expected his coming.
>
> The expecting, or the coming?

Exactly. I think it's just this indeterminacy through which the American
sense develops, shifting from the anticipation to the anticipated event.

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<x69hM.1861$92h9.796@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181336&group=alt.usage.english#181336

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 02:06:36 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 01:06 UTC

On 10-Jun-23 21:14, phil wrote:
> On 10/06/2023 19:37, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 10-Jun-23 17:39, Hibou wrote:
>>
>>> The annoyance may be more than momentary. Such usages leak across the
>>> Ocean (few things are worse than a leaky ocean)...
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> We would all prefer one that is continent.
>>

> I wouldn't like to have to replace the liner...

T'would be a titanic task.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<m31qiic8rj.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181392&group=alt.usage.english#181392

From: enom...@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 21:04:56 +0530
sha1:ly2zxRuQ/Nc0zxbF5bF5UgcC9XM=
 by: Madhu - Sun, 11 Jun 2023 15:34 UTC

* Ross Clark <u62mhr$2dkri$1@dont-email.me> :
Wrote on Sun, 11 Jun 2023 08:30:45 +1200:

> On 11/06/2023 1:06 a.m., Peter T. Daniels wrote:

>>> That is interesting. I had not been conscious of a pondian difference.
>> It's been a prescriptivist bugbear and a Pondian marker for ages.
>> Steve is wrong about "nowadays."
>>
>>> OED's account has the following:
>>>
>>> 1. For a moment; for a very short time, fleetingly. (from 1655)
>>> 4. 4. Chiefly North American. At any moment; in a moment, soon. (from
>>> 1869).
>>>
>>> The clue may be in the intermediate senses:
>>>
>>> 2. At the moment; instantly. Now rare. (from 1739)
>>> 3. At every moment; moment by moment. Now rare. (from 1763)
>>>
>>> Perhaps the coach in your example was expected, not "in a moment, soon",
>>> but rather "at every moment". Here's another case of "momentarily
>>> expecting":
>>>
>>> 1847 C. Brontë Jane Eyre II. i. 1 During the early part of the
>>> morning, I momentarily expected his coming.
>> The expecting, or the coming?
>>

> Exactly. I think it's just this indeterminacy through which the
> American sense develops, shifting from the anticipation to the
> anticipated event.

The two instances in 20th century religious literature were both
American. This came up on aue in 2017 I think, but I can't find the
thread in my local cache.

%
"This will occur at a time preceding the events of Matthew 24-25 which
must be fulfilled prior to the second coming of Christ. The rapture
therefore is an imminent event which today may be expected
momentarily."
-- John F Walvoord, 1985

%
"The parable in Matthew 25 EXPLAINS this long slumber. Turn to it and
read through the first 13 verses. The "virgins" represent the members of
God's Church through the ages. The Apostolic Age expected Christ's
return momentarily (I Thess. 4:15). But when He did not immediately
appear, they grew drowsy, lost their first love (Rev. 2:4) and went to
sleep on the job."
-- Ambassador College Bible Correspondence Course 52,
1968

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<mn.60407e76dde0bdf8.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181481&group=alt.usage.english#181481

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 01:04:48 -0700
 by: Snidely - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 08:04 UTC

Sam Plusnet submitted this idea :
> On 10-Jun-23 17:39, Hibou wrote:
>
>> The annoyance may be more than momentary. Such usages leak across the
>> Ocean (few things are worse than a leaky ocean)...
>
> Agreed.
>
> We would all prefer one that is continent.

Easier if we were all carbon neutral.

-d

--
Yes, I have had a cucumber soda. Why do you ask?

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<20230612192342.4772d08c8620cdcef23ea4ad@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181562&group=alt.usage.english#181562

From: adm...@127.0.0.1 (Kerr-Mudd, John)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 19:23:42 +0100
GNU: Terry Pratchett
 by: Kerr-Mudd, John - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 18:23 UTC

On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 01:04:48 -0700
Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sam Plusnet submitted this idea :
> > On 10-Jun-23 17:39, Hibou wrote:
> >
> >> The annoyance may be more than momentary. Such usages leak across the
> >> Ocean (few things are worse than a leaky ocean)...
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> > We would all prefer one that is continent.
>
> Easier if we were all carbon neutral.

AIUI of Carbon is Necessary for Life (AWKI,J).

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<mn.64807e76cb061086.127094@snitoo>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181613&group=alt.usage.english#181613

From: snidely....@gmail.com (Snidely)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 19:12:04 -0700
 by: Snidely - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 02:12 UTC

Kerr-Mudd, John pounded on thar keyboard to tell us
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 01:04:48 -0700
> Snidely <snidely.too@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sam Plusnet submitted this idea :

>>> Agreed.
>>>
>>> We would all prefer one that is continent.
>>
>> Easier if we were all carbon neutral.
>>
> AIUI of Carbon is Necessary for Life (AWKI,J).

Sure, but we keep pulling extra out of the ground and putting it in the
sky.

/dps

--
https://xkcd.com/2704

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<69e004e2-0b4c-489e-bfc0-ebe701dd8970n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181637&group=alt.usage.english#181637

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 21:21:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: ranjit_m...@yahoo.com (Dingbat)
 by: Dingbat - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 04:21 UTC

On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 3:44:06 PM UTC+5:30, Ross Clark wrote:
> On 10/06/2023 3:14 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:
> > I've noticed that in the US nowadays people often use "momentarily" to
> > mean "soon", or "shortly", whereas in most other English-speaking
> > countries "momentarily" is used almost exclusively to mean "of short
> > duration", or "for a short time", and become rathert nervous, as
> > aircraft passengers, with announcements like "We will be taking off
> > momentarily", which implies that the aircraft is expected to crash
> > shortly after take-off.

Momentarily is not used that way in India. Yet, I've heard someone from
India in the US say, 'I'll be with you momentarily.'

> > But here is an exceperpt from a UK newpaper of about 200 years ago
> > that shows that the usage that now seems confined to the US was once
> > current in the UK at least.
> >
> > "Although Wednesday's mail, momentarily expected when our last number
> > went to press, as we then stated, brought very important intelligence,
> > we had no opportunity of announcing its substance in a second edition,
> > as it did not reach Carlisle till five o'clock in the afternoon. The
> > snow was of immense thickness in many places, and the coaches were
> > stopped on all the roads. On Sunday morning, the thaw commenced; on
> > Tuesday it rained; Wednesday and Thursday were very fine clear days;
> > and at this time (Friday night), the snow has almost every where
> > disappeared, we enjoy the mildness of spring, and the communication is
> > restored in all directions. The London mail coach came over Stainmoor,
> > for the first time for several days, on Tuesday" (Carlisle Patriot, 15
> > Feb 1823).
> >

> That is interesting. I had not been conscious of a pondian difference.
> OED's account has the following:
>
> 1. For a moment; for a very short time, fleetingly. (from 1655)
> 4. 4. Chiefly North American. At any moment; in a moment, soon. (from
> 1869).
>
> The clue may be in the intermediate senses:
>
> 2. At the moment; instantly. Now rare. (from 1739)
> 3. At every moment; moment by moment. Now rare. (from 1763)
>
> Perhaps the coach in your example was expected, not "in a moment, soon",
> but rather "at every moment". Here's another case of "momentarily
> expecting":
>
> 1847 C. Brontë Jane Eyre II. i. 1 During the early part of the
> morning, I momentarily expected his coming.

Can 'momentary sensation' have several meanings?

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<a2b021dd-49a8-4dcb-8f3b-10deee663f89n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181704&group=alt.usage.english#181704

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 06:52:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 13:52 UTC

On Tuesday, June 13, 2023 at 12:21:59 AM UTC-4, Dingbat wrote:
> > On 10/06/2023 3:14 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:

> > > I've noticed that in the US nowadays

For a long, long tijme

> > > people often use "momentarily" to
> > > mean "soon", or "shortly", whereas in most other English-speaking
> > > countries "momentarily" is used almost exclusively to mean "of short
> > > duration", or "for a short time", and become rathert nervous, as
> > > aircraft passengers, with announcements like "We will be taking off
> > > momentarily", which implies that the aircraft is expected to crash
> > > shortly after take-off.
>
> Momentarily is not used that way in India. Yet, I've heard someone from
> India in the US say, 'I'll be with you momentarily.'
> >
> Can 'momentary sensation' have several meanings?

No. It refers to a sensation that only lasts for a moment.

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<kc7l8itrs4a8mnfne0qd5aq1gli915ut98@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181945&group=alt.usage.english#181945

From: hayes...@telkomsa.net (Steve Hayes)
Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 07:17:46 +0200
 by: Steve Hayes - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 05:17 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jun 2023 22:13:54 +1200, Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
wrote:

>That is interesting. I had not been conscious of a pondian difference.
>OED's account has the following:
>
>1. For a moment; for a very short time, fleetingly. (from 1655)
>4. 4. Chiefly North American. At any moment; in a moment, soon. (from
>1869).
>
>The clue may be in the intermediate senses:
>
>2. At the moment; instantly. Now rare. (from 1739)
>3. At every moment; moment by moment. Now rare. (from 1763)
>
>Perhaps the coach in your example was expected, not "in a moment, soon",
>but rather "at every moment". Here's another case of "momentarily
>expecting":
>
>1847 C. Brontë Jane Eyre II. i. 1 During the early part of the
>morning, I momentarily expected his coming.

The Bronte example is interesting.

I first encountered it meaning something other than "for a moment" on
my first (and only) visit to the USA in 1995, and could imagine
feeling distinctly uneasy if an airline stewardess announced to
passengers "We will be taking off momentarily" -- the TV series "Air
Crash Investigations" has a number of instances of aircraft taking off
momentarily, nearly all of them with unpleasant results.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Re: Momentarily -- US vs international usage

<G1idnSRtJ-NCghb5nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181987&group=alt.usage.english#181987

Newsgroups: alt.english.usage,alt.usage.english
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 14:27:43 +0000
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 14:27 UTC

Steve Hayes:
> I first encountered it meaning something other than "for a moment" on
> my first (and only) visit to the USA in 1995, and could imagine
> feeling distinctly uneasy if an airline stewardess announced to
> passengers "We will be taking off momentarily"

Yes, this reaction is familiar.

> -- the TV series "Air
> Crash Investigations" has a number of instances of aircraft taking off
> momentarily, nearly all of them with unpleasant results.

The actual title of that show is "Mayday", by the way. Apparently it's
been changed quite a bit for viewers in foreign countries.
--
Mark Brader | "No [flying machine] will ever fly from New York to
Toronto | Paris ...[because] no known motor can run at the