"Plastic gun. Ingenious. More coffee, please." -- The Phantom comics

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: two more glorious nights

SubjectAuthor
* two more glorious nightsarthurvv vart
+- Re: two more glorious nightsLionel Edwards
+* Re: two more glorious nightsHibou
|`- Re: two more glorious nightsAthel Cornish-Bowden
`- Re: two more glorious nightsTonyCooper

1
two more glorious nights

<93212b51-11bf-4c0f-bc8b-cb6a2ce37f89n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=180968&group=alt.usage.english#180968

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 23:22:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: two more glorious nights
From: arthurv...@gmail.com (arthurvv vart)
 by: arthurvv vart - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 06:22 UTC

TV series Suits: Season 4, episode 5

Donna has acted in a play and has been wonderful
and has had a glorious night. The performance was
supposed to go on for two more nights, but an actor
was injured and they want to cancel the two nights.
She is asking Louis to act as a stand-in for the injured
actors. That way she can have two more glorious nights.

She says: I'm not a lawyer, Louis. This is my chance to shine. But I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.

Source

https://tvshowtranscripts.ourboard.org/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=11456

Now if I heard 'I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.'
I'd assume that the speaker has lost one glorious night and
is about to lose two more.

It seems to me that here she has had a glorious night and is
about to lose two.

Is the sentence
1) But I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.
acceptable in that context?

Could it have that meaning?

I would maybe say: miss out on having two more glorious nights.

Gratefully,
Navi

Re: two more glorious nights

<310ec33e-b64f-4b4f-adcd-6c77c5c854bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=180974&group=alt.usage.english#180974

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 00:17:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: two more glorious nights
From: lioneled...@gmail.com (Lionel Edwards)
 by: Lionel Edwards - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 07:17 UTC

On Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 7:22:28 AM UTC+1, arthurvv vart wrote:
> TV series Suits: Season 4, episode 5
>
> Donna has acted in a play and has been wonderful
> and has had a glorious night. The performance was
> supposed to go on for two more nights, but an actor
> was injured and they want to cancel the two nights.
> She is asking Louis to act as a stand-in for the injured
> actors. That way she can have two more glorious nights.
>
> She says: I'm not a lawyer, Louis. This is my chance to shine. But I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.
>
> Source
>
> https://tvshowtranscripts.ourboard.org/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=11456
>
> Now if I heard 'I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.'
> I'd assume that the speaker has lost one glorious night and
> is about to lose two more.

Why would you assume she has already "lost" one glorious night,
when there is nothing at all to suggest that?

If I have won ten world championships and am "about to lose
(the chance of) two more world championships", that tells you
nothing about my track record.

> It seems to me that here she has had a glorious night and is
> about to lose two.
>
> Is the sentence
> 1) But I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.
> acceptable in that context?
>
> Could it have that meaning?
>
> I would maybe say: miss out on having two more glorious nights.

Which would amount to the same thing.

> Gratefully,
> Navi

Re: two more glorious nights

<u5pie0$13g8s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=180979&group=alt.usage.english#180979

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 10:25:20 +0100
 by: Hibou - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:25 UTC

Le 07/06/2023 à 07:22, arthurvv vart a écrit :

> TV series Suits: Season 4, episode 5
>
> Donna has acted in a play and has been wonderful
> and has had a glorious night. The performance was
> supposed to go on for two more nights, but an actor
> was injured and they want to cancel the two nights.
> She is asking Louis to act as a stand-in for the injured
> actors. That way she can have two more glorious nights.
>
> She says: I'm not a lawyer, Louis. This is my chance to shine. But I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.
>
> Source
>
> https://tvshowtranscripts.ourboard.org/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=11456
>
> Now if I heard 'I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.'
> I'd assume that the speaker has lost one glorious night and
> is about to lose two more.
>
> It seems to me that here she has had a glorious night and is
> about to lose two.
>
> Is the sentence
> 1) But I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.
> acceptable in that context?
>
> Could it have that meaning?
>
> I would maybe say: miss out on having two more glorious nights.

It's simpler just to leave out 'more': "I'm about to lose two glorious
nights."

Re: two more glorious nights

<keba5bFh5p2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=180993&group=alt.usage.english#180993

From: athel...@gmail.com (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 14:06:02 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:06 UTC

On 2023-06-07 09:25:20 +0000, Hibou said:

> Le 07/06/2023 à 07:22, arthurvv vart a écrit :
>>
>> TV series Suits: Season 4, episode 5
>>
>> Donna has acted in a play and has been wonderful
>> and has had a glorious night. The performance was
>> supposed to go on for two more nights, but an actor
>> was injured and they want to cancel the two nights.
>> She is asking Louis to act as a stand-in for the injured
>> actors. That way she can have two more glorious nights.
>>
>> She says: I'm not a lawyer, Louis. This is my chance to shine. But I'm
>> about to lose two more glorious nights.
>>
>> Source
>>
>> https://tvshowtranscripts.ourboard.org/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=11456
>>
>> Now if I heard 'I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.'
>> I'd assume that the speaker has lost one glorious night and
>> is about to lose two more.
>>
>> It seems to me that here she has had a glorious night and is
>> about to lose two.
>>
>> Is the sentence
>> 1) But I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.
>> acceptable in that context?
>>
>> Could it have that meaning?
>>
>> I would maybe say: miss out on having two more glorious nights.
>
> It's simpler just to leave out 'more': "I'm about to lose two glorious nights."

Yes, "more" just complicates the issue.

--
Athel -- French and British, living in Marseilles for 36 years; mainly
in England until 1987.

Re: two more glorious nights

<2ru08ilpqje07df80h1v6mt4r7fe1p4q2v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=181000&group=alt.usage.english#181000

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (TonyCooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 08:54:06 -0400
 by: TonyCooper - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:54 UTC

On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 23:22:25 -0700 (PDT), arthurvv vart
<arthurvarr@gmail.com> wrote:

>TV series Suits: Season 4, episode 5
>
>Donna has acted in a play and has been wonderful
>and has had a glorious night. The performance was
>supposed to go on for two more nights, but an actor
>was injured and they want to cancel the two nights.
>She is asking Louis to act as a stand-in for the injured
>actors. That way she can have two more glorious nights.
>
>She says: I'm not a lawyer, Louis. This is my chance to shine. But I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.
>
>Source
>
>https://tvshowtranscripts.ourboard.org/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=11456
>
>Now if I heard 'I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.'
>I'd assume that the speaker has lost one glorious night and
>is about to lose two more.
>
>It seems to me that here she has had a glorious night and is
>about to lose two.
>
>Is the sentence
>1) But I'm about to lose two more glorious nights.
>acceptable in that context?
>
>Could it have that meaning?
>
>I would maybe say: miss out on having two more glorious nights.

"Acceptable" has a low bar. If the meaning is reasonably clear in the
context, it's acceptable. Phrasing might be more acceptable written a
different way, but the speaker is saying that she considers being on
stage to be a glorious experience and regrets that the play's next two
performances have been cancelled.

I don't see how that meaning does not come across.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando,Florida

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: two more glorious nights