You will experience a strong urge to do good; but it will pass.

interests / rec.roller-coaster / Re: Six Flags and Cedar Fair merger

SubjectAuthor
* Six Flags and Cedar Fair mergerSurf Dance Chris
+- Re: Six Flags and Cedar Fair mergerEric Griswold
`- Re: Six Flags and Cedar Fair mergerDave Althoff, Jr.

1
Six Flags and Cedar Fair merger

<ec971b96-934a-4d6d-8303-5e203c4af1c7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1777&group=rec.roller-coaster#1777

Newsgroups: rec.roller-coaster
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 18:55:54 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Six Flags and Cedar Fair merger
From: surfdan...@aol.com (Surf Dance Chris)
 by: Surf Dance Chris - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 02:55 UTC

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?
I’m ok either way, I like some aspects of each company, hopefully we’ll get a “best of” as far as thinking and policies. I’m still surprised it ended up being Six Flags that merged with Cedar Fair, and not the SeaWorld parks.

Re: Six Flags and Cedar Fair merger

<86il60m9a7.fsf@proton.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1783&group=rec.roller-coaster#1783

From: eric.gri...@proton.me (Eric Griswold)
Newsgroups: rec.roller-coaster
Subject: Re: Six Flags and Cedar Fair merger
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 12:09:36 -0800
sha1:Eoqckx5cs8aI2yNYCRfdq+LI5uI=
 by: Eric Griswold - Fri, 17 Nov 2023 20:09 UTC

Surf Dance Chris <surfdancec@aol.com> writes:

> What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

A bit sad for me but also inevitable. My personal experiences at Cedar
Fair parks have always been decent to rather good, with CGA being the
only awful exception.

The opposite is true for Six Flags where most (but not all) of the time my interest
was for getting in, going on the rides I wanted, and fleeing as quickly
as possible.

(SFMM has also holds, from many many years ago, the shameful award for the
worst single thing I've ever tried to eat while way too hungry to leave
a park for something decent, but that's another post)

I hope we end up with CF's reasonably even-handed operations overcome
Six Flags' relentless, tiring self-promotion and underdelivery of
promises. I've no particular expectation either way.

Eric

Re: Six Flags and Cedar Fair merger

<uku67v$1kdn1$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1796&group=rec.roller-coaster#1796

From: ride...@davealthoff.com (Dave Althoff, Jr.)
Newsgroups: rec.roller-coaster
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 04:31:59 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: Dave Althoff <dalthoff@morgan.local>
 by: Dave Althoff, Jr. - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 04:31 UTC

Surf Dance Chris <surfdancec@aol.com> wrote:

: What?s everyone?s thoughts on this? : I?m ok either way, I like some
: aspects of each company, hopefully we?ll get a ?best of? as far as
: thinking and policies. I?m still surprised it ended up being Six Flags
: that merged with Cedar Fair, and not the SeaWorld parks.

They can call it a merger all they want, but this is really Cedar Fair
taking over for all practical purposes. FUN's unit holders would never
approve it any other way, and because this way the ownership of Cedar Fair
remains substantially unchanged they don't even have to approve it,
although Six Flags shareholders do.

I have not generally had poor experiences at Six Flags, although some are
clearly better than others, and it seems to come down to whether anybody in
the front office actually gives a qnza or not. That's why I have always
found the St. Louis park to be quite impressive, and some of the others to
just feel like they're worn out. Perhaps the most telling was back in...I
think it was 2008 so it barely counts today...when I visited Great
Adventure and Dorney Park on consecutive days. I had a good time at Great
Adventure, but enjoyed myself more at Dorney.

I don't know how this is going to work, but I really think in the end all
of the parks are going to look and feel more like Cedar Fair. If the whole
thing doesn't go down in flames and get parted out to private equity. But
then, I think that's why this merger is going down in the first place, to
keep that from happening.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
/X\ _ *** Respect rides. They do not respect you. ***
/XXXXX\ /XXX\ /XXXX\_ /X\ /XXXXX\ /X\ /X\ /XXXXX
_/XXXXXXX\__/XXXXX\/XXXXXXXX\_/XXX\_/XXXXXXX\__/XXX\_/XXX\_/\_/XXXXXX
NEW! When emailing this account, include the 'canonical magic word' in
the body of your message for a quicker response.