Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc,soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Why Aren’t the Arabs the ‘Colonizers
’?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 11:22:32 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 31 Oct 2023 18:22 UTC

Why Aren’t the Arabs the ‘Colonizers’?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2023/10/why-arent-the-arabs-the-colonizers/

By RICH LOWRY
October 29, 2023 6:30 AM
523 Comments
Listen

A history of conquest and cultural imperialism is ignored.

All Our Opinion in Your Inbox
NR Daily is delivered right to you every afternoon. No charge.
Enter your email
SUBSCRIBE

The Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in the Old City of Jerusalem sits atop the
site of the Second Temple, the central place for Jewish worship before
its destruction during the Roman siege of Jerusalem in 70 C.E.

One wonders if any of the people braying about the alleged “settler
colonialism” of Israel ever wonder how Al-Aqsa got there.

Did the Jews voluntarily erect a version of it in an eighth-century
homage to multiculturalism? If not, how did the Muslims who built it
come to be in Jerusalem in the first place?

These are rhetorical questions, of course. The caliphate besieged
Jerusalem and took it from the Byzantines in the early seventh century.

Since the “decolonization” agenda is meant only to target Western
nations and peoples, you rarely hear of the conquests and
empire-building of the non-Western world, which is conveniently
forgotten behind a narrative of pervasive victimization.

All of human history is a story of never-ending layers of conquest and
defeat and of migration and exile. If it were to be undone, we’d need to
extirpate almost all peoples everywhere, including those who are
currently portrayed as the hopelessly oppressed.

The earliest phase of the seventh-century Arab expansion was truly
explosive, and then it continued at a slower but still impressive clip.

Indeed, it is one of the most sweeping acts of conquest and successful
exercises in colonialism in world history. This wasn’t the Mongols
driving all before them and then receding to leave little in their
trace, or the Normans getting absorbed into the England they conquered.
No, the Arabs followed up their military conquest with a cultural
imperialism still felt today.

The Arabs would gobble up Syria, Palestine, Egypt, and Mesopotamia. They
chipped away at the Byzantine Empire and launched a no-kidding effort to
conquer it wholesale that fell short after two epic sieges of
Constantinople. They basically took all of the Persian empire.
Eventually, they assembled an empire with the greatest territorial
extent since the Romans, encompassing 80 percent of the population of
the Middle East and North Africa and reaching to the south of France.

Dan Jones writes in his history of the Middle Ages, Powers and Thrones,
“Syria was one of the first major triumphs of a new power that was about
to sweep across the world, branching out to the borders of China and the
Atlantic seaboard of Europe, establishing an Islamic state that covered
more than twelve million square kilometers.”

Its armies “appeared everywhere from central Asia, through the Middle
East and north Africa, throughout the Visigothic Iberian Peninsula, and
even into southern France.” Everywhere they conquered, they put in place
“Islamic governments and introduced new ways of living, trading,
learning, thinking, building, and praying.”

And of speaking and writing. The caliph Abd al-Malik imposed Arabic as
the official language of the empire, an act of the highest cultural
significance, since Arabic and Islam were so intertwined. “Arabization,”
Jones writes, “was gradually followed by conversion across the Muslim-
held territories—a shift that can still be seen, felt, and heard in
almost every part of the old caliphate in the twenty-first century.”

Once they had Islam foisted on them, these territories, by and large,
never went back, except in the cases of Spain, Portugal, and Sicily.

In the Levant, in particular, as the archaeologist and historian Alex
Joffe writes, there was an imperial project that included bringing in
new people. Settlers came of their own volition or were moved there by
political authorities, Joffe notes, including Egyptians in the early
19th century and Chechens, Circassians, and Turkmen at the hands of the
Ottomans later in the century.

A Hamas official once said, “Half of the Palestinians are Egyptians and
the other half are Saudis.”

Should all this shuffling of population be reversed? Should the land
conquered by the Arabs so long ago go back to the Byzantines or
Persians, or their legatees? What do Ben and Jerry think?

Obviously, the decolonizers don’t care about any of this, or the fate of
the Kurds, Assyrians, and Amazighs, peoples who have suffered more
recently from the Arabization of the broader region.

What they really favor is another act of Arab colonization to eliminate
the Jewish people, who must succumb, finally and completely, to the long
tide of Islamization and Arabization “from the river to the sea.” This
isn’t a principled adherence to the rights of indigenous people or a
respect for ancient homelands, but Lenin’s notorious formulation, “who
whom,” in a different context.

The work begun in the seventh century, in other words, is still incomplete.

Re: Why Aren’t the Arabs the ‘Colonizers’?

<uhub0a$1ov3b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1787&group=soc.history.war.misc#1787

From: keithwil...@gmail.com (Keith Willshaw)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc,soc.history.medieval
Subject: Re:_Why_Aren’t_the_Arabs_the_‘Colonizer
s’?
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 20:04:24 +0000
 by: Keith Willshaw - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 20:04 UTC

On 31/10/2023 18:22, a425couple wrote:
> Why Aren’t the Arabs the ‘Colonizers’?
>
> https://www.nationalreview.com/2023/10/why-arent-the-arabs-the-colonizers/
>
> By RICH LOWRY
> October 29, 2023 6:30 AM
> 523 Comments
> Listen
>
> A history of conquest and cultural imperialism is ignored.

Historically they were. Colonisers come and go. Egyptians, Romans, North
Africans, the Arabs, Turks, English and French all took their turns.
When General Allenby entered Jerusalem in 1917 he was displacing the
Ottoman Turks. In 1940 there was already a substantial jewish group in
Haifa.

Re: Why Aren’t the Arabs the ‘Colonizers’?

<8Tu1N.279612$2fS.221459@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1791&group=soc.history.war.misc#1791

s’?
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,soc.history.war.misc,soc.history.medieval
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 10:07:15 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sat, 4 Nov 2023 17:07 UTC

On 11/1/23 13:04, Keith Willshaw wrote:
> On 31/10/2023 18:22, a425couple wrote:
>> Why Aren’t the Arabs the ‘Colonizers’?
>>
>> https://www.nationalreview.com/2023/10/why-arent-the-arabs-the-colonizers/
>>
>> By RICH LOWRY
>> October 29, 2023 6:30 AM
>> 523 Comments
>> Listen
>>
>> A history of conquest and cultural imperialism is ignored.
>>

> Historically they were. Colonisers come and go. Egyptians, Romans, North
> Africans, the Arabs, Turks, English and French all took their turns.
> When General Allenby entered Jerusalem in 1917 he was displacing the
> Ottoman Turks. In 1940 there was already a substantial jewish group in
> Haifa.

I agree with you.
But there is one poster on soc.history.medieval that is very
antisemitic. Also a couple that do not fully agree with you
Keith.

I know that last year I talked to a couple of Palestinians
who felt their lives were fine, and getting better (with end of
Covid restrictions). They most wish their 'rulers' would
quit causing problems and violence, that just kept them
in power.