No one becomes depraved in a moment. -- Decimus Junius Juvenalis

interests / alt.usage.english / not my sentence/of which I had none

SubjectAuthor
* not my sentence/of which I had nonearthurvv vart
+* Re: not my sentence/of which I had noneStefan Ram
|`- Re: not my sentence/of which I had noneStefan Ram
+- Re: not my sentence/of which I had noneJerry Friedman
`- Re: not my sentence/of which I had nonePeter T. Daniels

1
not my sentence/of which I had none

<5ed6c865-eb16-410a-aa3d-8b87cb285d2dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=178839&group=alt.usage.english#178839

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 23:32:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: not my sentence/of which I had none
From: arthurv...@gmail.com (arthurvv vart)
 by: arthurvv vart - Wed, 17 May 2023 06:32 UTC

"It is reprehensible and frankly disheartening that a woman whom I have
never met — who reached out to me under an alias seeking out defamatory
information to which I told her I had none — would attempt to include me in
a lawsuit, for which I have zero involvement, for their own personal gain," she
said.

Source:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/rudy-giuliani-said-had-certain-024044482.html

It looks like a mess to me. It was spoken, and I suppose the speaker
was probably stressed, so it is understandable.

I would like to know how one could fix this part:

"who reached out to me under an alias seeking out
defamatory information to which I told her I had none "

1) "who reached out to me under an alias seeking out
defamatory information, of which I told her I had none "

2) "who reached out to me under an alias seeking out
defamatory information, which I told her I had none of "

3) "who reached out to me under an alias seeking out
defamatory information, which I told her I had none "

I think '1' and '2' work and '3' doesn't. We need an 'of' somewhere.

Do you agree?
How would you fix that part?

I suppose 'their' has to be 'her', since the person has already
been identified as 'a woman'. But that is a different matter.

Gratefully,
Navi

Re: not my sentence/of which I had none

<told-20230517140134@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=178868&group=alt.usage.english#178868

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: not my sentence/of which I had none
Date: 17 May 2023 13:02:17 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 17 May 2023 13:02 UTC

arthurvv vart <arthurvarr@gmail.com> writes:
>I would like to know how one could fix this part:
>who reached out to me under an alias seeking out defamatory
>information to which I told her I had none

|who contacted me under a pseudonym looking for defamatory
|information, and I told her I had none.

Re: not my sentence/of which I had none

<to-which-20230517140853@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=178870&group=alt.usage.english#178870

From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: 17 May 2023 13:09:12 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Wed, 17 May 2023 13:09 UTC

ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:
>arthurvv vart <arthurvarr@gmail.com> writes:
>>I would like to know how one could fix this part:
>>who reached out to me under an alias seeking out defamatory
>>information to which I told her I had none
>|who contacted me under a pseudonym looking for defamatory
>|information, and I told her I had none.

PS: The orginal sentence with "to which I told her" is just fine.

Re: not my sentence/of which I had none

<78ff7186-9a06-4573-b26c-e02c49b276b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=178875&group=alt.usage.english#178875

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 06:19:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: jerry.fr...@gmail.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Wed, 17 May 2023 13:19 UTC

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 12:33:02 AM UTC-6, arthurvv vart wrote:
> "It is reprehensible and frankly disheartening that a woman whom I have
> never met — who reached out to me under an alias seeking out defamatory
> information to which I told her I had none — would attempt to include me in
> a lawsuit, for which I have zero involvement, for their own personal gain," she
> said.
>
> Source:
> https://www.yahoo.com/news/rudy-giuliani-said-had-certain-024044482.html
>
> It looks like a mess to me. It was spoken, and I suppose the speaker
> was probably stressed, so it is understandable.
>
> I would like to know how one could fix this part:
>
> "who reached out to me under an alias seeking out
> defamatory information to which I told her I had none "
>

> 1) "who reached out to me under an alias seeking out
> defamatory information, of which I told her I had none "
>
> 2) "who reached out to me under an alias seeking out
> defamatory information, which I told her I had none of "
>
> 3) "who reached out to me under an alias seeking out
> defamatory information, which I told her I had none "
>
> I think '1' and '2' work and '3' doesn't. We need an 'of' somewhere.
>
> Do you agree?
> How would you fix that part?

It's possible that the intended meaning is "in reply to which I told her
I had none". (That would go well with your recent questions on
referents that don't explicitly appear, since the sentence has no noun
phrase that "which" refer to.) To fix the original, a comma before "to"
would help.

On the other hand, I see no way to justify the "for" in "for which I
have zero involvement", so maybe "to which" is an error for "of
which".

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: not my sentence/of which I had none

<2de73b7f-346c-40c7-b126-75c8c0df93a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=178920&group=alt.usage.english#178920

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 17 May 2023 09:31:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Wed, 17 May 2023 16:31 UTC

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 2:33:02 AM UTC-4, arthurvv vart wrote:

> "It is reprehensible and frankly disheartening that a woman whom I have
> never met — who reached out to me under an alias seeking out defamatory
> information to which I told her I had none — would attempt to include me in
> a lawsuit, for which I have zero involvement, for their own personal gain," she
> said.
>
> Source:
> https://www.yahoo.com/news/rudy-giuliani-said-had-certain-024044482.html
>
> It looks like a mess to me. It was spoken, and I suppose the speaker
> was probably stressed, so it is understandable.
>
> I would like to know how one could fix this part:
>
> "who reached out to me under an alias seeking out
> defamatory information to which I told her I had none "

"which I told her I did not have"

> 1) "who reached out to me under an alias seeking out
> defamatory information, of which I told her I had none "

not spoken E

> 2) "who reached out to me under an alias seeking out
> defamatory information, which I told her I had none of "

sorta British

> 3) "who reached out to me under an alias seeking out
> defamatory information, which I told her I had none "

absolutely not
> I think '1' and '2' work and '3' doesn't. We need an 'of' somewhere.
>
> Do you agree?
> How would you fix that part?
>
> I suppose 'their' has to be 'her', since the person has already
> been identified as 'a woman'. But that is a different matter.

The entire affair -- anything involving Giuliani -- is ineffably sordid.
The complainant did an interview with Channel 2, and she must
have done her own makeup and not let the TV makeup people do
it, and she looked just awful. There was a photo of them together
from 2017 or so, and she looked quite human.

This Allen woman (the one your quote comes from) didn't come up i
n the TV news story.

interests / alt.usage.english / not my sentence/of which I had none