Make headway at work. Continue to let things deteriorate at home.

interests / alt.home.repair / OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak English

SubjectAuthor
* OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak Englishmicky
+- OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak Englishangelica...@yahoo.com
+* OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak EnglishT
|`- OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak EnglishDean Hoffman
+- OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak EnglishRod Speed
`- OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak EnglishDean Hoffman

1
OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak English

<e126tgd025dbkld6364m59flnina608ma9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17840&group=alt.home.repair#17840

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak English
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 09:40:10 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:40 UTC

Why, even when on the radio talking to everyone, cannot so many doctors
speak so everyone will understand? I've been asking this question for
years. A woman calls into a doctor and she's immunocompromised, and he
tells her the vaccine won't hurt her [That's plain English] but she may
not "respond optimally"? I think 80 or 90% of people know what that
means. I know what it means but even I have to translate it to English
to really appreciate what it means. And maybe 10 or 20%, young people,
poorly educated, sleepy, immigrant people especially, don't. Why not,
Won't do you as much good as it does for others.

They often use phrases far more obscure than thhis one.

More than half of the doctors on the radio use this obscure language.
Sometimes changing from a standard phrase risks losing the fixed meaning
of the standard phrase, but usually not.

Heard a radio show a couple days ago with professional in the field
complaining about this very thing, but broader, trying to explain why so
many won't get vaccinated. ONne of them said they get no training in
this in med and grad school, but isn't it obvious? And don't their
wives and husbands listen to them and tell them how unclear they are?

Re: OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak English

<2ff699e3-0fc3-4a41-9f6a-94008697195an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17845&group=alt.home.repair#17845

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 07:24:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak English
From: angelica...@yahoo.com (angelica...@yahoo.com)
 by: angelica...@yahoo.co - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 15:24 UTC

On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 9:40:16 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
> Why, even when on the radio talking to everyone, cannot so many doctors
> speak so everyone will understand? I've been asking this question for
> years. A woman calls into a doctor and she's immunocompromised, and he
> tells her the vaccine won't hurt her [That's plain English] but she may
> not "respond optimally"? I think 80 or 90% of people know what that
> means. I know what it means but even I have to translate it to English
> to really appreciate what it means. And maybe 10 or 20%, young people,
> poorly educated, sleepy, immigrant people especially, don't. Why not,
> Won't do you as much good as it does for others.

Because that's not what "may not respond optimally" means. It has
nothing to do with her immune response compared to other people's.
> They often use phrases far more obscure than this one.
>
> More than half of the doctors on the radio use this obscure language.
> Sometimes changing from a standard phrase risks losing the fixed meaning
> of the standard phrase, but usually not.
>
> Heard a radio show a couple days ago with professional in the field
> complaining about this very thing, but broader, trying to explain why so
> many won't get vaccinated. One of them said they get no training in
> this in med and grad school, but isn't it obvious? And don't their
> wives and husbands listen to them and tell them how unclear they are?

It is quite likely that their wives and husbands are highly educated,
often in a similar field, and can understand them perfectly well.

I'm not saying you're wrong, though. When I got my booster, the
pharmacist seemed surprised when I told her that my fatigue
and fever from the first two shots probably "indicated an appropriate
immune response".

Cindy Hamilton

Re: OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak English

<sqvba6$hg3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17851&group=alt.home.repair#17851

From: T...@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 09:21:08 -0800
 by: T - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 17:21 UTC

On 1/3/22 06:40, micky wrote:
> Why, even when on the radio talking to everyone, cannot so many doctors
> speak so everyone will understand?

You are in electronics. Have you ever heard
of IEEE-EESE? The worst over techical obfuscation
I have ever experienced. IEEE seminars are a waste
of time.

There is a talent to learning how to explain
things to a layman. When I explain things to
my customer, I watch their eyes. If they
start to gloss over, I gear back. And
I am still working on it.

Re: OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak English

<087b9938-7abd-4ef2-81d5-37316ff11df9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17857&group=alt.home.repair#17857

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 10:10:13 -0800 (PST)
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 18:10 UTC

On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 11:21:15 AM UTC-6, T wrote:
> On 1/3/22 06:40, micky wrote:
> > Why, even when on the radio talking to everyone, cannot so many doctors
> > speak so everyone will understand?
> You are in electronics. Have you ever heard
> of IEEE-EESE? The worst over techical obfuscation
> I have ever experienced. IEEE seminars are a waste
> of time.
>
> There is a talent to learning how to explain
> things to a layman. When I explain things to
> my customer, I watch their eyes. If they
> start to gloss over, I gear back. And
> I am still working on it.

Maybe you could get one of those board stands like John Madden used
for his commentary during football games.
He was mentioned often yesterday on TV. All of the comments were positive.

Re: OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak English

<j3h39gFen2lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17869&group=alt.home.repair#17869

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 07:06:06 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 20:06 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote

> Why, even when on the radio talking to everyone, cannot
> so many doctors speak so everyone will understand?

Plenty like Fretwell are too stupid to understand anything.

> I've been asking this question for years.

Its not at all common that many can explain things so that
anyone who isn't as stupid as Fretwell can understand them.

> A woman calls into a doctor and she's immunocompromised, and he
> tells her the vaccine won't hurt her [That's plain English] but she may
> not "respond optimally"? I think 80 or 90% of people know what that
> means. I know what it means but even I have to translate it to English
> to really appreciate what it means. And maybe 10 or 20%, young people,
> poorly educated, sleepy, immigrant people especially, don't. Why not,
> Won't do you as much good as it does for others.

Most aren't capable of the clearest explanations.
> They often use phrases far more obscure than thhis one.

Yep, using fancy medical terms.
> More than half of the doctors on the radio use this obscure language.

Because that is useful when talking to other medical professionals
and they don't adjust their language when talking to everyone else.

Effective communication isn't something most can do.

Many engineers are hopeless at communicating anything.

> Sometimes changing from a standard phrase risks losing
> the fixed meaning of the standard phrase, but usually not.
> Heard a radio show a couple days ago with professional in the field
> complaining about this very thing, but broader, trying to explain why
> so many won't get vaccinated. ONne of them said they get no training
> in this in med and grad school, but isn't it obvious?

Its far from clear that training helps much with communication.

> And don't their wives and husbands listen to
> them and tell them how unclear they are?

The bulk of them are just as bad,

Re: OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak English

<84a38c06-d762-47a5-bf0a-0e42e8bfebe0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17899&group=alt.home.repair#17899

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 19:02:31 -0800 (PST)
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 03:02 UTC

On Monday, January 3, 2022 at 8:40:16 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:
> Why, even when on the radio talking to everyone, cannot so many doctors
> speak so everyone will understand? I've been asking this question for
> years. A woman calls into a doctor and she's immunocompromised, and he
> tells her the vaccine won't hurt her [That's plain English] but she may
> not "respond optimally"? I think 80 or 90% of people know what that
> means. I know what it means but even I have to translate it to English
> to really appreciate what it means. And maybe 10 or 20%, young people,
> poorly educated, sleepy, immigrant people especially, don't. Why not,
> Won't do you as much good as it does for others.
>
> They often use phrases far more obscure than thhis one.
>
> More than half of the doctors on the radio use this obscure language.
> Sometimes changing from a standard phrase risks losing the fixed meaning
> of the standard phrase, but usually not.
>
> Heard a radio show a couple days ago with professional in the field
> complaining about this very thing, but broader, trying to explain why so
> many won't get vaccinated. ONne of them said they get no training in
> this in med and grad school, but isn't it obvious? And don't their
> wives and husbands listen to them and tell them how unclear they are?

ESPN broadcasts Monday Night Football on two channels. One channel has
the regular version with a couple announcers sitting in a.booth onsite.
The other channel has the Manning brothers in their living rooms. About 3/4
of the screen is the game. The other 1/4 is the Mannings talking about football
using pro football jargon along with the top secret code brothers use talking to each
other. They're just watching the game and commenting on it now and then.
Snoop Dog will be their guest during the second half.

interests / alt.home.repair / OT Why can't phd's and doctors speak English