Newsgroups: soc.history.war.misc,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,or.politics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: World reaction to surprise attack by Palestinian Hamas on Israel
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 09:58:11 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 16:58 UTC

from
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/7/we-are-at-war-reactions-to-palestinian-hamas-surprise-attack-in-israel

World reaction to surprise attack by Palestinian Hamas on Israel
International response comes after Hamas launches the biggest attack on
Israel in decades with hostages taken and many killed.

ISRAEL-PALESTINIANS/Gaza Strip, in Ashkelon
Video Duration 02 minutes 36 seconds
02:36
Published On 7 Oct 2023
| Updated:
34 minutes ago
The Palestinian group Hamas has launched the biggest attack on Israel in
years with many killed, hostages taken, and fighting raging after a
surprise assault that included gunmen entering Israeli towns after a
barrage of rockets fired from the Gaza Strip.

Israel said Hamas has declared war as its army mobilised and air force
launched strikes on Gaza with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
promising harsh retaliation.

KEEP READING
list of 4 items
list 1 of 4
Israel pounds Gaza after Palestinian gunmen seize Israelis in major attack
list 2 of 4
Israel retaliation kills nearly 200 Palestinians after Hamas operation
list 3 of 4
Photos: Scenes from Hamas’s morning rocket attack on Israel
list 4 of 4
Israeli settlers storm Al-Aqsa Mosque complex on fifth day of Sukkot
end of list
Here is international reaction to the fighting so far:

Belgium
“Belgium strongly condemns the massive rocket attacks against Israeli
civilians. Violence and terror only perpetuates suffering and hinders
the path to dialogue. Our thoughts are with all those affected. We are
monitoring the situation closely,” Foreign Affairs Minister Hadja Lahbib
wrote on social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.

Czech Republic
“The attack conducted from the Gaza Strip is a deplorable act of
terrorism against the State of Israel and the civilian population,”
President Petr Pavel said in a statement. “The rocket attacks and the
infiltration of Hamas commandos into Israel will block any efforts for a
peaceful solution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict for a long time.”

European Commission
“I unequivocally condemn the attack carried out by Hamas terrorists
against Israel… Israel has the right to defend itself against such
heinous attacks,” European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen
posted on X.

Foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said: “We unequivocally condemn the
attacks by Hamas. This horrific violence must stop immediately.
Terrorism and violence solve nothing.”

Egypt
Egypt warned of “grave consequences” from an escalation in tensions
between Israel and the Palestinians in a statement from the foreign
ministry carried by the state news agency.

It called for “exercising maximum restraint and avoiding exposing
civilians to further danger”.

Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukri also held a call with European
Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell to discuss developments,
stating that both sides should exercise restraint to avoid serious risks.

France
French President Emmanuel Macron condemned the “terrorist attacks”
against Israel.

“I strongly condemn the terrorist attacks which are currently hitting
Israel. I express my full solidarity with the victims, and their
families and those close to them,” Macron wrote on X.

The French embassy in Israel on Saturday described the attacks as
“inadmissible terrorist attacks”.

“Horrified by the developments coming from the south of the country.
These terrorist attacks are inadmissible and must be condemned by
everyone. We stand side by side alongside Israel and Israelis,” the
French embassy wrote on X.

Germany
“Terrifying news reaches us today from #Israel. We are deeply shocked by
the rocket fire from Gaza and the escalating violence. Germany condemns
these attacks by Hamas and stands by Israel,” Chancellor Olaf Scholz
said on social media.

German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said Berlin “firmly condemns
the terrorist attacks from Gaza against Israel”.

Baerbock said Hamas “contributes to the intensification of violence”,
adding “violence and rockets aimed at innocent people must stop
immediately”.

Greece
“Greece strongly condemns today’s launch of heavy rocket attacks from
Gaza against Israel. Greece stands with Israel and is deeply concerned
by this unacceptable escalation of violence,” the Greek Foreign Ministry
posted on X.

Hezbollah
The Lebanese armed group Hezbollah issued a statement saying it was
closely following the situation in Gaza and was in “direct contact with
the leadership of the Palestinian resistance”.

Following events involving Gaza fighters who fired a barrage of rockets
into Israel, the statement added it was a “decisive response to Israel’s
continued occupation and a message to those seeking normalisation with
Israel“.

Iran
An adviser to Supreme Leader Ali Hosseini Khamenei said Iran supported
the Palestinians’ attack, the semi-official ISNA news site reported.

“We congratulate the Palestinian fighters,” it quoted adviser Rahim
Safavi as saying. “We will stand by the Palestinian fighters until the
liberation of Palestine and Jerusalem.”

Iran’s foreign ministry said attacks by its ally Hamas were proof of the
Palestinians’ increased confidence in the face of Israel’s occupation.

“In this operation, the element of surprise and other combined methods
were used, which show the Palestinian people’s confidence in the face of
the occupiers,” ministry spokesperson Nasser Kanaani said.

The attacks “proved that the Zionist regime is more vulnerable than ever
and that the initiative is in the hands of Palestinian youth,”
government spokesperson Ali Bahadori-Jahromi told state news agency IRNA.

Italy
Italy said it backed “Israel’s right to defend itself” against the
“brutal attack” by Hamas.

The government said it “condemned in the strongest terms the terror and
the violence under way against innocent civilians”.

Israel
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his country is at “war”
and he is confident it “will win”.

“Our enemy will pay a price the type of which it has never known,”
Netanyahu said in a video statement.

Japan
Japan condemned rocket launches and cross-border attacks by Hamas and
other Palestinian armed groups into Israeli territory, the foreign
ministry said. “Japan urges all parties to exercise utmost restraint to
prevent further harm.”

Kuwait
Kuwait expressed its “grave concern” over developments between Israel
and the Palestinians, blaming Israel for what it called its “blatant
attacks”.

The foreign ministry in a statement called on the international
community to “stop the provocative practices by the occupation” and the
“policy of expanding settlements”.

NATO
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization condemned “terrorist attacks by
Hamas against NATO partner Israel”, a spokesman for the defence alliance
said.

“Our thoughts are with the victims and all those affected. Terrorism is
a fundamental threat to free societies, and Israel has the right to
defend itself,” said spokesman Dylan White.

Play Video
Video Duration 00 minutes 52 seconds
00:52
Hamas fighters enter Israel in huge operation
Palestinian President Abbas
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said that the Palestinian people
have the right to defend themselves against the “terror of settlers and
occupation troops”, the official news agency WAFA quoted him as saying.

He was speaking at an emergency meeting held in Ramallah with a number
of top officials from the Palestinian Authority.

Poland
“I strongly condemn Hamas’ ongoing attacks on Israel. This baseless
aggression and acts of violence, especially against civilians, are
unacceptable. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by
these terrible events,” Polish Foreign Minister Zbigniew Rau wrote on X.

Qatar
Qatar’s foreign ministry issued a statement saying Israel alone was
responsible for the ongoing escalation of violence with the Palestinian
people.

It called on both sides to exercise utmost restraint and calls on the
international community to prevent Israel from using these events as an
excuse to launch a disproportionate war against Palestinian civilians in
Gaza.

Russia
Russia said it is in contact with Israel, the Palestinians and Arab
countries in connection with the escalation of the Israeli-Palestinian
conflict, the Interfax news agency reported, citing Deputy Foreign
Minister Mikhail Bogdanov.

“It goes without saying that we always call for restraint,” he added.

Saudi Arabia
The ministry called for an “immediate cessation of violence” between
Israel and the Palestinians, the state news agency reported.

“We are following the unprecedented developments between a number of
Palestinian factions and Israel occupation forces which has led to a
high level of violence on a number of fronts”.

Spain
Spain’s acting Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares said on X that he
condemned the attacks from Gaza against Israel.

“We strongly condemn the very serious terrorist attacks from Gaza
against Israel. “Overwhelmed by this indiscriminate violence. All our
solidarity (is) with the victims.”

Click here to read the complete article