From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: hints of obscenity
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2023 02:26:37 -0400
 by: Rich Ulrich - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 06:26 UTC

Word play with hints of obscenity were espeically popular
when I was a teenager and good examples continue to amuse.

These used to be private, like not saying "penis" in public.
The word play has become acceptable in public, but I still
notice and am still surprised. Occasionallly amused.

A TV show named "Schitt's Creek" surprised me.

When the local hockey team advertised something about
coming to a game to have a "kick-ice" good time, that surprised me.

I suppose that the headlines of tabloid newspapers were
among the early folks to stretch the limits. A couple of
recent examples surprised me only a llittle, but left me
wondering if their slang was US-specific.

Trump's friend David Pecker, former publisher of the
National Enquirer (Stormy Daniels case) was called in to
testify, and one NY tabloid headline was "Pecker In A Vice".
I suspect but don't know that pecker is widely known as
a term for penis.

Trump himself recently tweeted a pair of photos: Trump
holding a bat, and the head of the NY D.A. who indicted him.
Murdoch's tabloid reproduced the double picture with the
headline, "Bat Hit Crazy". I suspect but don't know that
bat-shit crazy may be a term that is particularly American.
And it did take me a couple of seconds to recognize it, so
I was amused.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: hints of obscenity

<eb9f1b57-2c3c-46fd-9706-e0a20a62b108n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=175032&group=alt.usage.english#175032

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 00:07:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: hints of obscenity
From: bill...@shaw.ca (bil...@shaw.ca)
 by: bil...@shaw.ca - Tue, 4 Apr 2023 07:07 UTC

On Monday, April 3, 2023 at 11:26:50 PM UTC-7, Rich Ulrich wrote:
> Word play with hints of obscenity were espeically popular
> when I was a teenager and good examples continue to amuse.
>
> These used to be private, like not saying "penis" in public.
> The word play has become acceptable in public, but I still
> notice and am still surprised. Occasionallly amused.
>
> A TV show named "Schitt's Creek" surprised me.
>
> When the local hockey team advertised something about
> coming to a game to have a "kick-ice" good time, that surprised me.
>
> I suppose that the headlines of tabloid newspapers were
> among the early folks to stretch the limits. A couple of
> recent examples surprised me only a llittle, but left me
> wondering if their slang was US-specific.
>
> Trump's friend David Pecker, former publisher of the
> National Enquirer (Stormy Daniels case) was called in to
> testify, and one NY tabloid headline was "Pecker In A Vice".
> I suspect but don't know that pecker is widely known as
> a term for penis.

Yes, it is. Frequently used by people who don't mind an obscenity
or two spicing up their vocabulary

> Trump himself recently tweeted a pair of photos: Trump
> holding a bat, and the head of the NY D.A. who indicted him.
> Murdoch's tabloid reproduced the double picture with the
> headline, "Bat Hit Crazy". I suspect but don't know that
> bat-shit crazy may be a term that is particularly American.
> And it did take me a couple of seconds to recognize it, so
> I was amused.

Yes. I'm not sure where or when I picked up "batshit crazy" as a
meaningful expression, but it was probably in the late 1960s or
early '70s. I'm not American, but cultural stuff travels freely
across the 49th Parallel.

bill

interests / alt.usage.english / hints of obscenity