In my end is my beginning. -- Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lights

SubjectAuthor
* Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lightsmilli...@yahoo.com
+- Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning"rbowman
`* Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lightsDean Hoffman
 `* Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lightsmilli...@yahoo.com
  +- Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lightsDean Hoffman
  `- Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lightsDean Hoffman

1
Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lights

<8c102167-6c0b-42e1-98e0-b7fcdfb88641n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17010&group=alt.home.repair#17010

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 13:38:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lights
From: millingh...@yahoo.com (milli...@yahoo.com)
 by: milli...@yahoo.com - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 21:38 UTC

Hi, I have one of those old (1970s/1980s) circular christmas light window hangings. It's commonly referred to as a "santa plaque" or a "tree topper." It has 32 lights, with three circuits. Each circuit has a blinker light so that it looks like it's spinning. If you search google for "Vintage Santa Plaque tree topper" you'll see photos of it. One of the circuits no longer works. It's not just the blinker, but every light in that circuit has died. Problem is, when I try to replace them with bulbs i have from other (100+ strand) sets, they flash/burn out immediately and so it's not working. I suspect it's a voltage issue, but don't know where to start looking to fix this.
Does anyone have an idea how to restore this?
What voltage replacement lights should I go look for?
Has been in my family for decades and I'd love to keep it working, if possible.
Advice appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore.

Re: Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lights

<j2sbtkFg1ekU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17016&group=alt.home.repair#17016

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning"
lights
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 16:24:42 -0700
 by: rbowman - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 23:24 UTC

On 12/26/2021 02:38 PM, milli...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Does anyone have an idea how to restore this?
> What voltage replacement lights should I go look for?

From the age I'm guessing they are incandescent, not LED. Do they look
like this?

https://www.balsamhill.com/p/replacement-christmas-light-bulb-kit

Re: Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lights

<b46bebb5-3d9d-4e52-8592-49f16f9bb0b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17018&group=alt.home.repair#17018

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 15:44:36 -0800 (PST)
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 23:44 UTC

On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 3:38:26 PM UTC-6, milli...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi, I have one of those old (1970s/1980s) circular christmas light window hangings. It's commonly referred to as a "santa plaque" or a "tree topper." It has 32 lights, with three circuits. Each circuit has a blinker light so that it looks like it's spinning. If you search google for "Vintage Santa Plaque tree topper" you'll see photos of it. One of the circuits no longer works. It's not just the blinker, but every light in that circuit has died.. Problem is, when I try to replace them with bulbs i have from other (100+ strand) sets, they flash/burn out immediately and so it's not working. I suspect it's a voltage issue, but don't know where to start looking to fix this.
> Does anyone have an idea how to restore this?
> What voltage replacement lights should I go look for?
> Has been in my family for decades and I'd love to keep it working, if possible.
> Advice appreciated.
> Regards,
> Theodore.

This?
<https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/403265833506?hash=item5de4844a22:g:6aUAAOSwgLthfR6U>
Would you want to make 2 into 1?

Re: Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lights

<597ce273-23e6-4f44-9061-1f027cb7aa77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17493&group=alt.home.repair#17493

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:30:20 -0800 (PST)
From: millingh...@yahoo.com (milli...@yahoo.com)
 by: milli...@yahoo.com - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 23:30 UTC

> This?
> <https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/403265833506?hash=item5de4844a22:g:6aUAAOSwgLthfR6U>
> Would you want to make 2 into 1?

Yes, that is EXACTLY the kind I have. One of the three circuits in it has burned out every lightbulb in the circuit. I don't know the voltage replacement for these bulbs, but it's certainly not the same voltage as the 100light strands i have, because those keep blowing out immediately as well. Any thoughts?

Re: Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lights

<531eef50-864c-4b7b-91c8-aa00dac40333n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17494&group=alt.home.repair#17494

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 16:11:15 -0800 (PST)
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 00:11 UTC

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 5:30:24 PM UTC-6, milli...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > This?
> > <https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/403265833506?hash=item5de4844a22:g:6aUAAOSwgLthfR6U>
> > Would you want to make 2 into 1?
> Yes, that is EXACTLY the kind I have. One of the three circuits in it has burned out every lightbulb in the circuit. I don't know the voltage replacement for these bulbs, but it's certainly not the same voltage as the 100light strands i have, because those keep blowing out immediately as well. Any thoughts

Maybe start at the beginning. Are you sure you're getting 120 vac from the receptacle? There are receptacle testers
available for a small price. Can you plug something else into the outlet to see if it works? Table lamp, maybe.
Take Santa to an outlet you know is ok just to see what happens.
My parents had an old Christmas light set wired in series. All the lights went out just because one bulb was bad.
Bulbs usually go out because the the element has burned in two. Suppose the bad circuit has a dead short instead of an open at the end of it. The upstream bulbs would in effect be acting like a fuse. This isn't very likely but one has to start somewhere.

Re: Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lights

<fc94f275-b9e6-4b0b-9ea8-1b2c516ce0e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17496&group=alt.home.repair#17496

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 16:30:54 -0800 (PST)
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 00:30 UTC

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 5:30:24 PM UTC-6, milli...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > This?
> > <https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/403265833506?hash=item5de4844a22:g:6aUAAOSwgLthfR6U>
> > Would you want to make 2 into 1?
> Yes, that is EXACTLY the kind I have. One of the three circuits in it has burned out every lightbulb in the circuit. I don't know the voltage replacement for these bulbs, but it's certainly not the same voltage as the 100light strands i have, because those keep blowing out immediately as well. Any thoughts?

This might be worth reading.
<https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/are-christmas-mini-lights-all-the-same-voltage-rating.2282624/>
I accidentally learned something again. There are similar explanations about Christmas tree lighting in
other places. Maybe you should just replace all of the bad bulbs in the bad circuit at one time.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Repairing christmas window plaque/tree topper with "spinning" lights