From: ram...@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: "here"
Date: 3 Apr 2023 13:06:21 GMT
 by: Stefan Ram - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 13:06 UTC

The World-Wide Web contains this sentence:

|Then I go to this here party and I just get bored.
..
And I think some people in this here newsgroup told
me that such a use of "here" was substandard.

However, I recently read

|In our simplified treatment here, we will ignore ...

in the textbook "Quantum Processes, Systems, and Information"
by Benjamin Schumacher and Michael D. Westmoreland. (Benjamin
Schumacher coined the term "qubit.)

Is this "here" from the quantum textbook by these renowned
professors also substandard?

Re: "here"

<ebkl2it9p5dcn9eb4v4m8e4u9ajit207be@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=174926&group=alt.usage.english#174926

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (TonyCooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: "here"
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 09:17:34 -0400
 by: TonyCooper - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 13:17 UTC

On 3 Apr 2023 13:06:21 GMT, ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote:

> The World-Wide Web contains this sentence:
>
>|Then I go to this here party and I just get bored.
>.
> And I think some people in this here newsgroup told
> me that such a use of "here" was substandard.
>
> However, I recently read
>
>|In our simplified treatment here, we will ignore ...
>
> in the textbook "Quantum Processes, Systems, and Information"
> by Benjamin Schumacher and Michael D. Westmoreland. (Benjamin
> Schumacher coined the term "qubit.)
>
> Is this "here" from the quantum textbook by these renowned
> professors also substandard?

The substandard use is "this here". The use of "here" in other
context can be standard and acceptable.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando,Florida

Re: "here"

<u0ff21$33pj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=174992&group=alt.usage.english#174992

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 09:04:58 +1200
 by: Ross Clark - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 21:04 UTC

On 4/04/2023 1:17 a.m., TonyCooper wrote:
> On 3 Apr 2023 13:06:21 GMT, ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) wrote:
>
>> The World-Wide Web contains this sentence:
>>
>> |Then I go to this here party and I just get bored.
>> .
>> And I think some people in this here newsgroup told
>> me that such a use of "here" was substandard.
>>
>> However, I recently read
>>
>> |In our simplified treatment here, we will ignore ...
>>
>> in the textbook "Quantum Processes, Systems, and Information"
>> by Benjamin Schumacher and Michael D. Westmoreland. (Benjamin
>> Schumacher coined the term "qubit.)
>>
>> Is this "here" from the quantum textbook by these renowned
>> professors also substandard?
>>
> The substandard use is "this here".

Also "that there". But only when together, usually preceding the noun.

> The use of "here" in other
> context can be standard and acceptable.

Indeed, both "here" and "there" are perfectly standard as modifiers
following the noun, as in the textbook example.

interests / alt.usage.english / "here"