Newsgroups: ca.politics,or.politics,seattle.politics,soc.history.war.misc,alt.law-enforcement,alt.economics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Democrat_Mayor_Adams’_chief_advisor_calls_on_feds
to ‘close the borders’
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 10:08:01 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:08 UTC

from
https://nypost.com/2023/10/01/nyc-mayors-chief-advisor-calls-on-feds-to-close-the-borders/

Mayor Adams’ chief advisor calls on feds to ‘close the borders’ amid NYC
migrant crisis
By David Propper
Published Oct. 1, 2023, 10:00 p.m. ET

Ingrid Lewis-Martin, chief advisor for New York City Mayor Eric Adams,
made the comment Sunday morning.
PIX 11 News
MORE ON:
MIGRANTS
Civil war brews in Brooklyn Dem Party over claim white areas are dodging
migrant shelters
Ending NYC’s flood horrors is another reason to roll back migrant spending
Governor Hochul suddenly realizes we have a border crisis
Upstate NY county blocks NYC’s bid to move homeless north to ease
migrant shelter crisis

The chief advisor for New York City Mayor Eric Adams called on the
federal government to “close the borders” Sunday – a remark that led to
an outcry from liberal pols and a quick clarification from another
high-ranking City Hall official.

Ingrid Lewis-Martin made the comments during an interview on PIX 11
Sunday morning when asked about the city’s attempt to change the
right-to-shelter policy in place as the Big Apple strains to care for
tens of thousands of migrants.

“The federal government needs to do its job,” she said on the television
station. “We need the federal government, the Congress members, the
Senate, and the president to do its job: Close the borders.

“And until you close the borders, you need to come up with a full-on
decompression strategy where you can take all of our migrants and move
them throughout our 50 states.”

Hours after Lewis-Martin’s interview, Deputy Mayor for Communications,
Fabien Levy, insisted the Adams administration believes the country
should continue to welcome immigrants while also wanting a
“decompression strategy at the border.”

“To be very clear, and as @NYCMayor has said over and over again, of
course this nation should continue to welcome immigrants — both those
seeking asylum and those who are not,” Levy said in a series of posts on
X, formerly Twitter.

“The U.S. will always do its part to be a country that takes in those
seeking refuge from war, discrimination, & strife, but as we’ve stated
repeatedly, we need a real decompression strategy at the border so that
all communities across the U.S. can do their part in providing the
compassion & care NYC has provided to more than 118,000 asylum seekers
since last year.”

While the city has welcomed more than 100,000 migrants since last year,
Lewis-Martin said the city is currently caring for more than 61,000
migrants.

Some liberal City Council members blasted Lewis-Martin’s border statement.

“These xenophobic Republican talking points have no home in our City,”
Brooklyn Council Member Shahana Hanif tweeted. “New York has been a
welcoming beacon to immigrants for centuries and will always be one, no
matter what this administration says.”

More than 100,000 migrants have reached NYC since last year.
More than 100,000 migrants have reached NYC since last year.
James Messerschmidt for NY Post
“Close the border.” – Donald Tr… wait, no, the Adams Administration,”
Council Member Tiffany Caban, who represents part of Queens, tweeted.

But other elected officials voiced support for the statement.

“The Chief Advisor is spot on: No sensible nation would let just anyone
cross its borders unchecked,” Council Member Robert Holden, a moderate
Queens Democrat, tweeted. “We must secure our borders & implement a
screening process for credible fear, in line with the Refugee Act and UN
protocols.”

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul also raised eyebrows Sunday when she said the
southern border was “too open” in an interview on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

“We want them to have a limit on who can come across the border. It is
too open right now,” Hochul said.

“People coming from all over the world are finding their way through
simply saying they need asylum and the majority of them seem to be
ending up in the streets of New York.”

She added that “it’s in our DNA to welcome immigrants, but there has to
be some limits in place and Congress has to put more controls at the
border.”

New York Rep. Nicole Malliotakis seized on the statements from
Lewis-Martin and Hochul.

“I hope @SenSchumer and @SenGillibrand are listening because they are
the only ones standing in the way of securing our border and ending this
crisis,” she wrote on X.