Newsgroups: or.politics,ca.politics,seattle.politics,alt.law-enforcement,soc.history.war.misc,alt.economics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: Democrat_Gov._Hochul_says_border_‘is_too_open
’ and demands ‘limit’ on crossings
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 10:03:01 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 2 Oct 2023 17:03 UTC

from
https://nypost.com/2023/10/01/gov-hochul-concedes-border-is-too-open-and-that-a-limit-needed-on-who-can-cross/

Gov. Hochul says border ‘is too open’ and demands ‘limit’ on crossings
as NY struggles with migrant crisis
By Jorge Fitz-Gibbon and Carl Campanile
Published Oct. 1, 2023, 12:13 p.m. ET

A record 260,000 migrants crossed just last month.
A record 260,000 migrants crossed just last month.
Getty Images
MORE ON:
MIGRANTS
Mayor Adams’ chief advisor calls on feds to ‘close borders’ as NYC
migrant crisis worsens
Civil war brews in Brooklyn Dem Party over claim white areas are dodging
migrant shelters
Ending NYC’s flood horrors is another reason to roll back migrant spending

Governor Hochul suddenly realizes we have a border crisis
The migrant crisis in New York is so bad that even Democratic Gov. Kathy
Hochul is ramping up her attacks on US border policies, demanding “a
limit on who can come across’’ and more agents to nab illegals.

Hochul targeted Congress in comments Sunday but still risked the wrath
of the Biden administration as it grapples with the crisis wreaking
mayhem in the Big Apple and across the country.

“It is too open right now,’’ Hochul flatly told CBS’s “Face the Nation’’
of the country’s southern border with Mexico — where a record-setting
260,000-plus migrants crossed over just last month.

“We want [Congress] to have a limit on who can come across the border,’’
said the governor, who has been criticized in the past for going too
easy on the White House over the debacle.

“People coming from all over the world are finding their way through,
simply saying they need asylum, and the majority of them seem to be
ending up in the streets of New York, and that is a real problem for New
York City,” she said.

“It’s in our DNA to welcome immigrants. But there has to be some limits
in place,” the governor said.

Gov. Kathy Hochul.
New York Gov. Kathy Hochul said Sunday that the US border “is too open
right now” as the migrant crisis continues.
Robert Miller
“Congress has to put more controls at the border,’’ Hochul said. “Talk
about eliminating positions for Border Patrol, well, we actually need to
double or quadruple those numbers.”

Hochul’s comments come fewer than two weeks after she told CNN, “You
have to ensure that we can also have controls at the borders and not
welcome even more people to come who think they’re going to come for the
job.”

“It really does have to slow down at the border because the volume keeps
growing and growing,’’ the governor said at the time.

“So we have to also message properly that we’re at our limit. ‘If you’re
going to leave your country, go somewhere else.’ ”

The governor specifically called out congressional Republicans both
Sunday and last month on the issue, infuriating some GOPers.

“The only people Hochul has to blame are the ones in her own party,’’
seethed Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-SI/Brooklyn) to The Post.

“House Republicans passed our border security act in May with no help
from the Democrats, and the Senate has taken zero action to pass our
bill or any other immigration measure,” the New York City pol said.

“Also, [Hochul] should stop incentivizing illegal immigration to New
York with her offers of free college tuition, healthcare and drivers’
licenses,” Malliotakis said.

House GOP Conference Chair Elise Stefanik, who represents upstate New
York communities along the Canadian border, added, “Kathy Hochul sees
the same polling that we are looking at, and she and New York Democrats
are in free fall.”

Hochul’s comments Sunday come as New York City continues to grapple with
the more than 110,000 migrants who have arrived there and entered its
shelter system since spring 2022.

Migrants at the US border.
Waves of asylum seekers have flooded across the US border with Mexico
since the spring of last year, with more than 110,000 processed in New
York City.
Getty Images
The governor has lobbied for state funds to help shelter and feed the
wave of migrants, including to pay for a massive tent city erected on
Manhattan’s Randall’s Island this summer.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams has said the cost of housing and feeding
the influx of migrants will likely hit $12 billion over three years,
threatening scores of Big Apple services.

In August, Hochul finally blamed the White House for the migrant mess,
saying President Biden needed to step up and provide more help as the
state drowns in the migrant flood.

444
What do you think? Post a comment.
“This crisis originated with the federal government, and it must be
resolved through the federal government,’’ she said at the time.

Hochul has already joined Adams in targeting the city’s “right to
shelter” law, which guarantees New Yorkers the right to housing, a rule
that asylum seekers have been benefiting from.

“The original premise behind the right to shelter was, for starters, for
homeless men on the streets, people experiencing AIDS, that was [then]
extended to families,” the governor said last month.

“But never was it envisioned being an unlimited universal right, or
obligation on the city, to house literally the entire world,’’ she said.

Adams has been trying to tweak the rule to try to free up more housing
for those most in need.

Conversation444 Comments
85 Viewing
Share your stance. Please adhere to our guidelines.
Sort by

Best
Captain America
1 day ago

In 2023, we've already let 1% of US population (3.4 million) interacted
with border patrol, or snuck across in 2023 alone. I'd say we're already
well above any reasonable ceiling on this disaster.

Put a moratorium on the whole thing until we can assess impact in terms
of crime, financial impact, bur...

See more

Share
HJ Dawson
19 hours ago

It’s definitely reached a point where deportations will be as important
as stopping the influx.
I am also one who believes that America’s political and criminal enemies
have been using this for time to infiltrate fifth columns.

Share
STAR Gladiator
22 hours ago

Keepimg track across North America I would say 9 million plus since 2020!

Share

Show 3 more replies
M1 M1
1 day ago

The governor has made a fatal mistake by ignoring this issue until now.
She should start looking for another job, she won't get reelected.

Share
KaosRex
23 hours ago

No. She is a DEM. They say the elections are not rigged. As of today, I
say really?

Share

1 reply
MSM
20 hours ago

earACHE adams will be job hunting too. I didn’t like before we were
invaded.

Share

Show 5 more replies
Bob Lobley
22 hours ago

The Sanctuary Cities’ mayors got this. A couple of years ago they were
literally asking for these folks(See Adams 2021 speech). Border states
should distribute them evenly to declared sanctuary cities. The border
states did not ask for this. Sanctuary cities did, including their
voters who put the...See more

Share

1 reply