From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:49:54 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 23:49 UTC

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 12:06:42 -0500, knuttle
<keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 12/28/2021 2:57 AM, rbowman wrote:
>
>> You're right. I didn't even think at the understanding level.
>
>That's where I'm leaning, which means the entire class can be taught inside
>the classroom like most of the other classes are.
>
>I would think there should be a chapter each on each "thing" kids need to
>know about (perhaps homes, vehicles, measurements, debugging, PCs, etc.).
>
>In each chapter I would think it could dive down into the "systems" involved
>such as the cooling system for a car, or the plumbing system for a house or
>the electrical system for a computer.
>
>> My early experience involved repair usually. When the car overheats because the
>> phenolic impeller in the water pump detached from the shaft you learn
>> about cooling systems to say nothing of Chrysler's decision to use a
>> plastic impeller.
>
>Repair starts with debug.
>Debug ends with isolation of the failed component.
>But debug starts with understanding the systems & isolation of the failure.
>
>Without understanding of the system, there's no repair possible unless we
>teach the kids to just throw parts at the problem.
>
>Admittedly, a _lot_ of cars are fixed by people throwing parts at them! :)
>
>> Chrysler product also taught you not all threads a
>> right handed.
>
>My first Chrysler was a New Yorker which, as I recall, had reverse threaded
>lug bolts on one side, but normally threaded lug bolts on the other.
>
>Nobody told me this. After doing the one side, I wrenched off two or three
>before I realized "something" was very wrong on the other side.
>
>There were no "warning labels" in those days. :)

There WAS a large capital L stamped into the end of the stud or the
head of the lugbolt on older cars - and "notches" on the flats of the
LH nuts

>> I'd guess the average high school kid knows as much about how a car
>> works as how their iPhone does. It's all magic.
>
>This is a good observation, where we could add a systems approach to how
>basic electronics work also (sci.electronics.repair).

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?