From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:43:56 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 23:43 UTC

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 01:13:32 -0500, Michael Trew
<michael.trew@att.net> wrote:

>On 12/27/2021 23:38, knuttle wrote:
>> On 12/27/2021 8:15 PM, rbowman wrote:
>>
>>> Car repair is a difficult question. Certainly how to change a tire and
>>> replenish the fluids. I do my own oil changes but when I'm looking at
>>> cars I make sure the filter and drain plug are accessible. This may
>>> not be the case for some cars.
>>
>> I would suggest "car understanding" more than perhaps "car repair", where I
>> would propose we teach all our high school kids the basics of the various
>> systems (cooling system, drive train, lubrication system, suspension
>> system,
>> heater and air conditioning system, electrical system, etc.).
>
>I agree, the only relative thing to share is how the basic systems work
>now. I drive older 90's and back cars, where repair information can be
>helpful. There are fewer and fewer automotive systems that you can
>repair at home as cars get newer. Unless someone is working on a
>classic car, most knowledge gathered over the years will do almost
>nothing for cars from the past 10 years.
Funny, they still workon the same principal. Suck, squeeze, bang,
blow. They are still basically air pumpsThey still need air, fuel,
compression, and spark. How they get the fuel and the spark has
changed but the basics you would have learned on a Model A ford are
still applicable. The BASIC diagnostics have not changed. Which one is
missing? fuel, air, compression, or spark?? It will ALWAYS be one of
them if an engine will not run.

From there on, it doesget more complicated - but today's engines can
actually answer whenyou ask them "where does it hurt"

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?