From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:38:53 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 23:38 UTC

On Mon, 27 Dec 2021 23:38:08 -0500, knuttle
<keith_nuttle@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 12/27/2021 8:15 PM, rbowman wrote:
>
>> Car repair is a difficult question. Certainly how to change a tire and
>> replenish the fluids. I do my own oil changes but when I'm looking at
>> cars I make sure the filter and drain plug are accessible. This may not
>> be the case for some cars.
>
>I would suggest "car understanding" more than perhaps "car repair", where I
>would propose we teach all our high school kids the basics of the various
>systems (cooling system, drive train, lubrication system, suspension system,
>heater and air conditioning system, electrical system, etc.).
>
>> What should be a simple task like changing a burned out bulb may require
>> a youtube video these days. Counting the bikes I have three carburetted
>> vehicles but I'm not sure rebuilding a Carter or Mikuni is useful.
>> Diagnosing problems with the ignition system may be obsolete. The Toyota
>> doesn't even have ignition wires.
>
>I would suggest every child be provided an understanding of electrical
>things such as electrical power generation & distribution, Kirchhoff's laws,
>basic circuits such as those found inside the home, basic electrical items
>such as those found in the home, the use of a DMM/VOM, etc.
>
>> In many cases it's replace not repair. One of the Suzuki bikes has a
>> fairly conventional engine design but when it failed to start the trail
>> lead to the ECM. At that point you get on the net and hunt down a new
>> one. Not much you can do with a brick.
>
>The work is in debugging so I would suggest perhaps the children be provided
>with the basic debugging skills of (a) understanding how the system works
>and then (b) breaking the system down into testable components, and then
>finally (c) isolating the broken component prior to replacement.
>
>The replacement part of that task is the simplest of all in most cases.
>
>> Except for the Harley I haven't had to mess around with brakes in 20
>> years and even them it was just new pads.
>
>I don't know if I'd teach them to do brakes even as brake pads, rotors, and
>calipers are easy to replace (drums & shoes a bit harder but not by much).
>
>But I'd teach them how the braking system works in a car which could save
>their lives if they use that knowledge wisely over their next 60 years.
>
>> I've got a wealth of knowledge and even the tools to deal with a 197
>> Chevy Malibu but most of that is ancient history.
>>
>> As for home repair, wiring, plumbing, general carpentry, and roof
>> repairing wouldn't hurt. For the latter, I recently learned cats can
>> climb aluminum ladders but can't go down them for sour owl shit. Damn
>> cat just had to see what I was doing.
>
>I'd suggest a basic home systems understanding which might contain the
>plumbing systems, the heating systems, the cooling systems, etc.
>
>The entire class would be only a semester or two at most as the kids already
>are filled with other classes but it would seem to be useful to all of them
> [...]
All the BASICS of the above are taught in the physical sciences -
basic Physics in particular.. If you unddrstand basic physics you
understand basic hydraulics and plumbing.If you understand basic
physics you understand electron theory and basic electrical and
electronics. If you understand basic physics you understand the basics
of simple machines - levers *suspension) ratios, etc.

The problem isn't hat schools don't teach everybody basic auto
mechanics, or basic home construction, or plumbing, or rocket science,
it is that schools don't theach THE BASICS
As a former technical teacher I found it HILARIOUS that
administration would take the kids who couldn't pass basic math,
couldn't read at a grade 5 level, failed grade 9 science, and
recommended them for technical trades - in particular, they sent the
DUMBEST ones to Auto Shop!!!!!!!
As an automotive shop instructor I had to teach them physics - basic
machines, ratios, levers, inclined planes etc for them to understand
the hydraulic systems (brakes etc), the power transmission systems
(transmissions, steering gear, final drives etc) and the basics of
fasteners (the function of torque and the reasons for having coarse
and fine threads etc.)
I had to teach them the basics of thermodynamics - how a heat engine
works -how a cooling system works - the basic refrigeration cycle to
understand air conditioning. I had to teach them basic metalurgy -
about eutectic alloys for solfering and brazing - about fusion and the
chemical action of fluxes for welding.
I had to teach them about the chemistry involved in coolants and
lubricants - and batteries. I had to teach them electron theory -
condictoes, electromagnetism, capacitance and reluctance,
semiconductors and basic electronics. I had to teach them basic
boolean logic.

And that is just touching the surface.

I agree students should have a BASIC UNDERSTANDING of all you
mentioned - but there is no way that every student needs to know how
to do brakes on their car - and no way that even a mojority of those
who think they know how should ever actually DO it. Brakes and
steering IN PARTICULAR are critical safety systems that should NOT be
done by rank amatures. In my many years in the trades I have seen WAY
too many instances of extremely dangerous stuff done by guys (and
gals) who knew just barely enough to be dangerous
Not everybody should know how to wire a house - nor should many
whothinkthey know how ever actually do it.
The value in knowing the BASICS is knowing how much you do NOT know,
and how impoertant it is to have things done right. They should know
enough to know when they are being snowed.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?