From: yourd...@outlook.com (useapen)
Newsgroups: alt.business,alt.food.fast-food,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns,sac.politics,talk.politics.misc
Subject: Mod Pizza Closes Five California Locations as New Minimum Wage Takes Effect
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:00:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: useapen - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:00 UTC

A popular West Coast pizza chain closed five California locations just
before the state passed a new minimum wage law this month that raises
fast-food workers� wages by $16 from $20 an hour.

Mod Pizza � which has 500 locations in the United States and Canada and is
known as the �Chipotle of pizza� � abruptly closed its store in Clovis,
near Fresno, two weeks ago, according to former employees.

One fired employee, who was among the 15 laid off, told Fox 26 TV: �It
seemed like good timing, two weeks before every fast food place in
California raised wages and we must close.�

A popular West Coast pizza chain closed five California locations just
before the state passed a new minimum wage law this month that raises
wages for fast-food workers from $16 a Now up to $20.

Mod Pizza � which has 500 locations in the United States and Canada and is
known as the �Chipotle of pizza� � abruptly closed its store in Clovis,
near Fresno, two weeks ago, according to former employees.

One fired employee, who was among 15 laid off, told Fox 26 TV on Tuesday:
�It seems like a good time, two weeks before every fast food restaurant in
California gets a raise and we had to close. The Post requested comment
from Mod Pizza, which was founded by husband-and-wife team Scott and Ally
Svenson in Seattle in 2008.

The law, which took effect April 1, has been accused of increased menu
prices at the level of major fast food chains like Burger King, as The
Post reported.

The former worker said that while he initially supported the idea of
??raising the minimum wage, it may have come at too high a cost �For more
money, yes,� he said. �I mean, no one turns down a raise, but at the end
of the day, with consequences like these, is it worth it?

Former employee laments job loss, says: �I love this company. It�s really
bad. �You know, I put my blood, sweat, and tears into this,� the worker
said. �I opened the Fresno location. They closed this place. I helped open
this place and now. It�s also closed.

Each of the 15 laid-off employees received a severance payment of $2,000.
Locations are not available for four other Mod Pizza franchises in
California that recently closed.

Mod Pizza, named after the acronym �made to order,� gives customers the
ability to create individual and customizable pizzas from organic dough.
Social media reports say the company has also closed locations in New
Jersey, Texas, and Wisconsin as part of 22 shutdowns nationwide.

In Fitchburg, Wis, several Mod employees told the Wisconsin State Journal
they were suddenly fired and quit without pay last month. Fast-food chains
in California raised menu prices last week to offset labor costs due to
increased minimum wages.

At a Burger King in the Los Angeles area, a Texas Double Whopper meal
costs $15.09. March 29 rose to $16.89 on April 1, a whopping increase of
1, 80 USD (almost 12%) for the same meal.

A McDonald�s franchisee who owns more than a dozen locations in the San
Francisco Bay Area says he has also had to raise menu prices � even though
he has set limits by charging $20 per Meal Happy.

https://gistfest.com/mod-pizza-closes-five-california-locations-as-new-
minimum-wage-takes-effect/

Re: Mod Pizza Closes Five California Locations as New Minimum Wage Takes Effect

<v0arlf$2a4ua$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17322&group=alt.food.fast-food#17322

From: chine.b...@www.yahoo.com (Siri Cruise)
Newsgroups: alt.business,alt.food.fast-food,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns,sac.politics,talk.politics.misc
Subject: Re: Mod Pizza Closes Five California Locations as New Minimum Wage
Takes Effect
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 04:50:03 -0700
 by: Siri Cruise - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 11:50 UTC

useapen wrote:
> A popular West Coast pizza chain closed five California locations just
> before the state passed a new minimum wage law this month that raises
> fast-food workers’ wages by $16 from $20 an hour.

Sleepy Don Fatso's new favourite foreign madman:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-11/argentina-100-per-cent-inflation-crisis/102179458

How Argentina went from one of the world's richest nations to 100
per cent inflation, with 'mountains of money worth nothing'

--
Siri Seal of Disavowal #000-001. Disavowed. Denied. @
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\

Re: Mod Pizza Closes Five California Locations as New Minimum Wage Takes Effect

<20240424124506.75269bb8@234567aaa>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17343&group=alt.food.fast-food#17343

From: suc...@ra.mentos (Little@man.Ball)
Newsgroups: alt.business,alt.food.fast-food,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns,sac.politics,talk.politics.misc
Takes Effect
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 12:45:06 -0600
 by: Little@man.Ball - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 18:45 UTC

On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 04:50:03 -0700
Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@www.yahoo.com> wrote:

> useapen wrote:
> > A popular West Coast pizza chain closed five California locations
> > just before the state passed a new minimum wage law this month that
> > raises fast-food workers’ wages by $16 from $20 an hour.
> >

> Sleepy Don Fatso's new favourite

Non sequitur - meth whore deflection babble.

Re: Mod Pizza Closes Five California Locations as New Minimum Wage Takes Effect

<l6gl2jlfe8564vt1k0579ortinbkhb7om1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17360&group=alt.food.fast-food#17360

From: governor...@gmail.com (Governor Swill)
Newsgroups: alt.business,alt.food.fast-food,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns,sac.politics,talk.politics.misc
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 16:46:26 -0400
 by: Governor Swill - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 20:46 UTC

On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 04:50:03 -0700, Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@www.yahoo.com> wrote:

>useapen wrote:
>> A popular West Coast pizza chain closed five California locations just
>> before the state passed a new minimum wage law this month that raises
>> fast-food workers’ wages by $16 from $20 an hour.

If they were all that popular they wouldn't have been riding so close to the edge of
unprofitability. Put another way, describing an unprofitable firm as "popular" is
ludicrous.

Swill
--
Conservative thinking only predicts the past. - R Kym Horsell

https://www.gocomics.com/mattdavies/2024/04/01

https://www.forwardparty.com/ . .

Heroyam slava! Glory to the Heroes!

Sláva Ukrajíni! Glory to Ukraine!

Putin tse prezervatyv! Putin is a condom!

Go here to donate to Ukrainian relief.

Re: Mod Pizza Closes Five California Locations as New Minimum Wage Takes Effect

<_wzWN.46097$zWO8.29622@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17361&group=alt.food.fast-food#17361

Takes Effect
Newsgroups: alt.business,alt.food.fast-food,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns,sac.politics,talk.politics.misc
From: j_carl...@gmx.com (John Carlson)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:01:45 -0700
 by: John Carlson - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 21:01 UTC

On 4/25/2024 1:46 PM, Governor Swill wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 04:50:03 -0700, Siri Cruise <chine.bleu@www.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> useapen wrote:
>>> A popular West Coast pizza chain closed five California locations just
>>> before the state passed a new minimum wage law this month that raises
>>> fast-food workers’ wages by $16 from $20 an hour.
>
> If they were all that popular they wouldn't have been riding so close to the edge of
> unprofitability. Put another way, describing an unprofitable firm as "popular" is
> ludicrous.

Complete bullshit. Restaurants, and especially fast-food and low-end chain
restaurants (Mod Pizza is the latter), are notoriously low-margin businesses, on
the order of 2-6%. Labor is typically about 30% of a restaurant's operating
cost. So if you now jack up the price of labor by 25% ($20 an hour is 25% more
than $16 an hour), you've significantly cut into the restaurant's revenue, and
if profit is already at 2% of revenue, some restaurants, no matter how "popular"
they are, are not going to be able to operate profitably.

Re: Mod Pizza Closes Five California Locations as New Minimum Wage Takes Effect

<coom2j114a54m2gj64s405ti74astsj24g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17362&group=alt.food.fast-food#17362

From: governor...@gmail.com (Governor Swill)
Newsgroups: alt.business,alt.food.fast-food,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.guns,sac.politics,talk.politics.misc
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 04:22:13 -0400
 by: Governor Swill - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 08:22 UTC

On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:01:45 -0700, John Carlson <j_carlson@gmx.com> wrote:

>On 4/25/2024 1:46 PM, Governor Swill wrote:

>> If they were all that popular they wouldn't have been riding so close to the edge of
>> unprofitability. Put another way, describing an unprofitable firm as "popular" is
>> ludicrous.
>
>Complete bullshit. Restaurants, and especially fast-food and low-end chain
>restaurants (Mod Pizza is the latter), are notoriously low-margin businesses, on
>the order of 2-6%. Labor is typically about 30% of a restaurant's operating
>cost. So if you now jack up the price of labor by 25% ($20 an hour is 25% more
>than $16 an hour), you've significantly cut into the restaurant's revenue, and
>if profit is already at 2% of revenue, some restaurants, no matter how "popular"
>they are, are not going to be able to operate profitably.

Are they not smart enough to change menu prices to reflect the higher cost?

I spent many, many years in hospitality so don't try to tell me things about the
restaurant biz I already know.

Why hasn't every restaurant in the state closed?

This a shake out of weak operations, that's all.

Swill