"Are you police officers?" "No, ma'am. We're musicians." -- The Blues Brothers

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?

SubjectAuthor
* What have you learned in your old age that you feel should beDean Hoffman
`* What have you learned in your old age that you feel should beMarilyn Manson
 `* What have you learned in your old age that you feel should beMark Lloyd
  +- What have you learned in your old age that you feel should berbowman
  `- What have you learned in your old age that you feel should beMarilyn Manson

1
Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?

<ddb938eb-1179-4d14-8196-c18dc412866dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17226&group=alt.home.repair#17226

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 16:59:50 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be
taught to high school students?
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 00:59 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 4:58:28 PM UTC-6, knuttle wrote:
> What have you learned in your old age about car and home repair
> that you feel should perhaps be taught to high school students?

I copied this and had the paper hanging above my desk when I was working.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge
30th president of US (1872 - 1933) "
From <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/2771.html>

Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?

<567a8ab8-db23-40d7-96be-606d6ff1be77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17229&group=alt.home.repair#17229

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 17:47:06 -0800 (PST)
taught to high school students?
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 01:47 UTC

On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 7:59:53 PM UTC-5, dean...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 4:58:28 PM UTC-6, knuttle wrote:
> > What have you learned in your old age about car and home repair
> > that you feel should perhaps be taught to high school students?
> I copied this and had the paper hanging above my desk when I was working.
> "Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
> Calvin Coolidge
> 30th president of US (1872 - 1933) "
> From <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/2771.html>

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

I think we've all met someone who was persistent and determined while
trying to make something work that *we* knew was impossible. Of course,
they failed.

I didn't see common sense on the list of traits that CC mentioned. That's
a pretty important trait to possess.

Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?

<KQJyJ.47561$bn2.12812@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17336&group=alt.home.repair#17336

taught to high school students?
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
From: not.em...@all.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 13:46:48 -0600
 by: Mark Lloyd - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 19:46 UTC

On 12/27/21 19:47, Marilyn Manson wrote:
> On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 7:59:53 PM UTC-5, dean...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 4:58:28 PM UTC-6, knuttle wrote:
>>> What have you learned in your old age about car and home repair
>>> that you feel should perhaps be taught to high school students?
>> I copied this and had the paper hanging above my desk when I was working.
>> "Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
>> Calvin Coolidge
>> 30th president of US (1872 - 1933) "
>> From <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/2771.html>
>
> "Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
>
> I think we've all met someone who was persistent and determined while
> trying to make something work that *we* knew was impossible. Of course,
> they failed.

I've actually done things that ware impossible. One was creating a
webpage that has a digital clock that has the right time and runs with
NO client-side script (JavaScript).

http://notstupid.us/clox/dclock.php

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he
would be a criminal. If he would follow strictly the teachings of the
New, he would be insane." -- Robert G. Ingersoll

Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?

<j3281fFjjr2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17426&group=alt.home.repair#17426

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
taught to high school students?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 21:55:18 -0700
 by: rbowman - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 04:55 UTC

On 12/28/2021 12:46 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 12/27/21 19:47, Marilyn Manson wrote:
>> On Monday, December 27, 2021 at 7:59:53 PM UTC-5, dean...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>> I copied this and had the paper hanging above my desk when I was
>>> working.
>>> "Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will
>>> not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius
>>> will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not;
>>> the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and
>>> determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved
>>> and always will solve the problems of the human race.
>>> Calvin Coolidge
>>> 30th president of US (1872 - 1933) "
>>> From <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/2771.html>
>>
>> "Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
>>
>> I think we've all met someone who was persistent and determined while
>> trying to make something work that *we* knew was impossible. Of course,
>> they failed.
>
> I've actually done things that ware impossible. One was creating a
> webpage that has a digital clock that has the right time and runs with
> NO client-side script (JavaScript).
>
> http://notstupid.us/clox/dclock.php

Okay, I'll confess I don't know what that's all about:

SPAN#sl0 {animation: 10s linear infinite ten -4s; }
SPAN#sl1 {animation: 10s linear infinite ten -3s; }
SPAN#sl2 {animation: 10s linear infinite ten -2s; }
SPAN#sl3 {animation: 10s linear infinite ten -1s; }
SPAN#sl4 {animation: 10s linear infinite ten 0s; }
SPAN#sl5 {animation: 10s linear infinite ten 1s; }
SPAN#sl6 {animation: 10s linear infinite ten 2s; }
SPAN#sl7 {animation: 10s linear infinite ten 3s; }

etc.

Re: What have you learned in your old age that you feel should be taught to high school students?

<2e4ec263-2fad-4dd6-b787-c573292d0b9bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=17428&group=alt.home.repair#17428

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 21:38:40 -0800 (PST)
taught to high school students?
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 05:38 UTC

On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 2:46:55 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
> On 12/27/21 19:47, Marilyn Manson wrote:
> >> I copied this and had the paper hanging above my desk when I was working.
> >> "Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
> >> Calvin Coolidge
> >> 30th president of US (1872 - 1933) "
> >> From <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/2771.html>
> >
> > "Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
> >
> > I think we've all met someone who was persistent and determined while
> > trying to make something work that *we* knew was impossible. Of course,
> > they failed.
>
> I've actually done things that ware impossible. One was creating a
> webpage that has a digital clock that has the right time and runs with
> NO client-side script (JavaScript).
>
> http://notstupid.us/clox/dclock.php

News flash: If you made it work, it wasn't impossible.