You will live a long, healthy, happy life and make bags of money.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: "Never anticipate having" vs. "anticipate never having"

SubjectAuthor
* "Never anticipate having" vs. "anticipate never having"Lenona
`* Re: "Never anticipate having" vs. "anticipate never having"bruce bowser
 `- Re: "Never anticipate having" vs. "anticipate never having"bruce bowser

1
"Never anticipate having" vs. "anticipate never having"

<72c9b88b-cb0d-4343-92ee-3c42865e4326n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169043&group=alt.usage.english#169043

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 13:02:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: "Never anticipate having" vs. "anticipate never having"
From: lenona...@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 21:02 UTC

Found this thread (it's about a farming article that bewails the dropping birth rates in American farming families) and I thought that commentators Lunamkardas and Julia were very sharp-eyed. (As others were.)

There are 51 comments so far. I was going to arrange them with the oldest comments first, but doing that would mean some comments would get hidden, which is a pain, since you'd have to click a lot more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/childfree/comments/10xlbzn/our_other_fertility_problem/

Excerpts from the thread:

u/go-bananas-today
I came across this article (link) and felt the need to share.

“The number of young childless adults who never anticipate having children has reached startling proportions, as high as 44%. A top reason is it will cramp their lifestyle. Seriously.”

They seem to fail to understand the depth and variety of reasons and life experiences that might cause this many people to opt out of parenthood.

Lunamkardas
You know that's a very interesting choice of words.

'young childless adults who never anticipate having children'

Sounds very different from: Adults who have chosen not to have children.

JuliaX1984
That sentence stood out to me, too! "Never anticipate having" does not mean the same as "anticipate never having." At first, I snickered at them for their sentence structure error, but then I raised my eyebrow, reread it, and went, "Hmmm... wonder if that's them trying to do subliminal persuasion, or a sign of their wishful thinking or something."

Lunamkardas
It changes it from a clear choice to "oh they just don't think about it those silly naive kids"

Silver_Walk
Heh heh. Know what else would cramp my lifestyle? Farming.

Re: "Never anticipate having" vs. "anticipate never having"

<7dc64423-60da-471b-bd30-e44224a6a190n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169166&group=alt.usage.english#169166

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 07:27:59 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce1.9...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 15:27 UTC

On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 4:03:02 PM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:
> Found this thread (it's about a farming article that bewails the dropping birth rates in American farming families) and I thought that commentators Lunamkardas and Julia were very sharp-eyed. (As others were.)

I've always prioritized living in urban areas but, oh well. Ha, haaa.

> There are 51 comments so far. I was going to arrange them with the oldest comments first, but doing that would mean some comments would get hidden, which is a pain, since you'd have to click a lot more.
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/childfree/comments/10xlbzn/our_other_fertility_problem/
>
> Excerpts from the thread:
>
> u/go-bananas-today

I always wondered why "going bananas" instead of "going apples" or "going shrimp" or "'going chicken wings" or some other food.

> I came across this article (link) and felt the need to share.
>
> “The number of young childless adults who never anticipate having children has reached startling proportions, as high as 44%. A top reason is it will cramp their lifestyle. Seriously.”
>
> They seem to fail to understand the depth and variety of reasons and life experiences that might cause this many people to opt out of parenthood.

And why should such entitled, pedigreed people with working "on the clock" for organizations observe such depth with the thoughts of potential parents?

> Lunamkardas
> You know that's a very interesting choice of words.
>
> 'young childless adults who never anticipate having children'

That means adults who could be caught by surprise having kids?

> Sounds very different from: Adults who have chosen not to have children.

That means adults who could not be caught by surprise having kids?

> JuliaX1984
> That sentence stood out to me, too! "Never anticipate having" does not mean the same as "anticipate never having." At first, I snickered at them for their sentence structure error, but then I raised my eyebrow, reread it, and went, "Hmmm... wonder if that's them trying to do subliminal persuasion, or a sign of their wishful thinking or something."

Which could subliminally influence an assumption either way - thus possibly cancelling-out any subliminal influence?

> Lunamkardas
> It changes it from a clear choice to "oh they just don't think about it those silly naive kids"
>
> Silver_Walk
> Heh heh. Know what else would cramp my lifestyle? Farming.

Re: "Never anticipate having" vs. "anticipate never having"

<b7fbbda4-6173-4fb6-8fb9-dfca27641faan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169238&group=alt.usage.english#169238

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 05:45:48 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 13:45 UTC

On Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 10:28:01 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
> On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 4:03:02 PM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:
> > Found this thread (it's about a farming article that bewails the dropping birth rates in American farming families) and I thought that commentators Lunamkardas and Julia were very sharp-eyed. (As others were.)
> I've always prioritized living in urban areas but, oh well. Ha, haaa.
> > There are 51 comments so far. I was going to arrange them with the oldest comments first, but doing that would mean some comments would get hidden, which is a pain, since you'd have to click a lot more.
> >
> > https://www.reddit.com/r/childfree/comments/10xlbzn/our_other_fertility_problem/
> >
> > Excerpts from the thread:
> >
> > u/go-bananas-today
> I always wondered why "going bananas" instead of "going apples" or "going shrimp" or "'going chicken wings" or some other food.
> > I came across this article (link) and felt the need to share.
> >
> > “The number of young childless adults who never anticipate having children has reached startling proportions, as high as 44%. A top reason is it will cramp their lifestyle. Seriously.”
> >
> > They seem to fail to understand the depth and variety of reasons and life experiences that might cause this many people to opt out of parenthood.
> And why should such entitled, pedigreed people with working "on the clock" for organizations observe such depth with the thoughts of potential parents?

I hope i'm not being too outspoken Lenona, but look at it this way:

> > Lunamkardas
> > You know that's a very interesting choice of words.
> >
> > 'young childless adults who never anticipate having children'
> That means adults who could be caught by surprise having kids?

Or you could say, when I go to HOFBRÄU MÜNCHEN restaurant, I never anticipate drinking a whole gallon.

> > Sounds very different from: Adults who have chosen not to have children..
> That means adults who could not be caught by surprise having kids?

So you could say: at HOFBRÄU MÜNCHEN restaurant, i've chosen not to drink a whole gallon.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: "Never anticipate having" vs. "anticipate never having"