All's well that ends.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

SubjectAuthor
* Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingsukiki
+* Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingltlee1
|+* Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingserookee
||`- Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingltlee1
|+- Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingberini
|`- Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingkitaro.
`- Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingbmoore

1
Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

<s6a9ld$ps3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1676&group=soc.culture.china#1676

From: suk...@sukiki.com (sukiki)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 08:19:00 +0800
 by: sukiki - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 00:19 UTC

The risk for TMSC investment in US is very high. US has no pool of
manufacturing talent that will work hard a sustained way.

The Americans are certainly no workhorse mentality to just in time to design
and to just to market capacities.

Therefore they do not have a culture to work together.

Henceforth, the risk of TSMC sending most of their key employees from Taiwan
is very high instead.

"ltlee1" wrote in message

""At a forum hosted by Taiwanese media outlets, Chang hailed the workhorse
mentality of the Taiwanese working class, as well as the island’s deep pool
of high-caliber, industrious talent devoted to the chip sector.

At the same time, Chang pointed to an apparent comparative lack of talent in
America’s mostly moribund manufacturing sector.

“The United States stood out for cheap land and electricity when TSMC looked
for an overseas site but we had to try hard to scout out competent
technicians and workers in Arizona because manufacturing jobs have not been
popular among American people for decades,” Chang said, according to a
transcript of his speech viewed by Asia Times.

Chang also warned about sending Taiwanese managers overseas to run plants.

“Computers of different brands can often be hooked together but not people
of different culture,” he said, referring to the preponderance of Taiwanese
and Taiwan-trained managers and technicians at TSMC.

“The fact that TSMC’s top-flight executives can deliver top results in
Taiwan is no guarantee of similar performance when they are posted
overseas.” Only one Westerner sits on the company’s 26-member board.

Taiwan’s state-of-the-art infrastructure helps to rev up TSMC’s operations
and time-to-design and time-to-market capacities, he said.

Chang said the island’s efficient and well-developed high-speed rail network
and cobweb of expressways provided the vital “circuitry” for TSMC’s research
and manufacturing between its headquarters in Hsinchu, near Taipei, and
other plants across Taichung and Tainan.

“It was a breeze for us to rotate technicians and staff among the three fabs
across the island and when employees change over from one location to
another, they even do not need to move their homes thanks to Taiwan’s bullet
trains and highways and well-rounded transport and logistical support,” said
Chang.

“It’s unlikely we can replicate all these in Arizona.” "

https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/tsmc-founder-doubts-us-competence-in-chip-making/

America has the touch of King Midas. It, however, is short on talents,
infrastructure, and culture.

Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

<4466be37-d2e0-4974-bf60-621dae8b7f00n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1677&group=soc.culture.china#1677

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 17:58:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 00:58 UTC

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 8:18:56 PM UTC-4, sukiki wrote:
> The risk for TMSC investment in US is very high. US has no pool of
> manufacturing talent that will work hard a sustained way.
>
> The Americans are certainly no workhorse mentality to just in time to design
> and to just to market capacities.
>
> Therefore they do not have a culture to work together.
>
> Henceforth, the risk of TSMC sending most of their key employees from Taiwan
> is very high instead.

Absolutely.
But then why did Cheng go ahead and invest $12 billion in the US?
May be he has no choice.

"...TSMC would continue to face “squeezing” from the China-US rivalry but also beckoning from America as the Biden administration doubled down on its home-made semiconductor push.
“TSMC would have to respond, even if from a business point of view it’s more expensive and less efficient to run factories overseas,” said the scholar, adding that Taiwan would still serve as the prime locus for much of TSMC’s core research and production. "

"TSMC WOULD HAVE TO RESPOND" although not for business purpose. In some sense, TSMC's $12 billion plant in Pheonix also serves the function of a hostage like Meng Wenzhou would be a hostage.

BTW, TSMC had sent several plane loads of semiconductors to China just before American ban had taken effect according to a youtube report.

> "ltlee1" wrote in message
> ""At a forum hosted by Taiwanese media outlets, Chang hailed the workhorse
> mentality of the Taiwanese working class, as well as the island’s deep pool
> of high-caliber, industrious talent devoted to the chip sector.
>
> At the same time, Chang pointed to an apparent comparative lack of talent in
> America’s mostly moribund manufacturing sector.
>
> “The United States stood out for cheap land and electricity when TSMC looked
> for an overseas site but we had to try hard to scout out competent
> technicians and workers in Arizona because manufacturing jobs have not been
> popular among American people for decades,” Chang said, according to a
> transcript of his speech viewed by Asia Times.
>
> Chang also warned about sending Taiwanese managers overseas to run plants..
>
> “Computers of different brands can often be hooked together but not people
> of different culture,” he said, referring to the preponderance of Taiwanese
> and Taiwan-trained managers and technicians at TSMC.
>
> “The fact that TSMC’s top-flight executives can deliver top results in
> Taiwan is no guarantee of similar performance when they are posted
> overseas.” Only one Westerner sits on the company’s 26-member board.
>
> Taiwan’s state-of-the-art infrastructure helps to rev up TSMC’s operations
> and time-to-design and time-to-market capacities, he said.
>
> Chang said the island’s efficient and well-developed high-speed rail network
> and cobweb of expressways provided the vital “circuitry” for TSMC’s research
> and manufacturing between its headquarters in Hsinchu, near Taipei, and
> other plants across Taichung and Tainan.
>
> “It was a breeze for us to rotate technicians and staff among the three fabs
> across the island and when employees change over from one location to
> another, they even do not need to move their homes thanks to Taiwan’s bullet
> trains and highways and well-rounded transport and logistical support,” said
> Chang.
>
> “It’s unlikely we can replicate all these in Arizona.” "
>
> https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/tsmc-founder-doubts-us-competence-in-chip-making/
>
> America has the touch of King Midas. It, however, is short on talents,
> infrastructure, and culture.

Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

<978d306f-f4db-4350-bb67-29999ff88496n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1679&group=soc.culture.china#1679

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 18:55:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 01:55 UTC

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 5:18:56 PM UTC-7, sukiki wrote:
> The risk for TMSC investment in US is very high. US has no pool of
> manufacturing talent that will work hard a sustained way.
>
> The Americans are certainly no workhorse mentality to just in time to design
> and to just to market capacities.

Manufacturing talent and engineering talent are 2 different things. Intel, TSMC and others have engineering facilities in Silicon Valley that do very good work.

The TSMC founder spoke only of manufacturing.

> Therefore they do not have a culture to work together.
>
> Henceforth, the risk of TSMC sending most of their key employees from Taiwan
> is very high instead.
>

> "ltlee1" wrote in message
> ""At a forum hosted by Taiwanese media outlets, Chang hailed the workhorse
> mentality of the Taiwanese working class, as well as the island’s deep pool
> of high-caliber, industrious talent devoted to the chip sector.
>
> At the same time, Chang pointed to an apparent comparative lack of talent in
> America’s mostly moribund manufacturing sector.
>
> “The United States stood out for cheap land and electricity when TSMC looked
> for an overseas site but we had to try hard to scout out competent
> technicians and workers in Arizona because manufacturing jobs have not been
> popular among American people for decades,” Chang said, according to a
> transcript of his speech viewed by Asia Times.
>
> Chang also warned about sending Taiwanese managers overseas to run plants..
>
> “Computers of different brands can often be hooked together but not people
> of different culture,” he said, referring to the preponderance of Taiwanese
> and Taiwan-trained managers and technicians at TSMC.
>
> “The fact that TSMC’s top-flight executives can deliver top results in
> Taiwan is no guarantee of similar performance when they are posted
> overseas.” Only one Westerner sits on the company’s 26-member board.
>
> Taiwan’s state-of-the-art infrastructure helps to rev up TSMC’s operations
> and time-to-design and time-to-market capacities, he said.
>
> Chang said the island’s efficient and well-developed high-speed rail network
> and cobweb of expressways provided the vital “circuitry” for TSMC’s research
> and manufacturing between its headquarters in Hsinchu, near Taipei, and
> other plants across Taichung and Tainan.
>
> “It was a breeze for us to rotate technicians and staff among the three fabs
> across the island and when employees change over from one location to
> another, they even do not need to move their homes thanks to Taiwan’s bullet
> trains and highways and well-rounded transport and logistical support,” said
> Chang.
>
> “It’s unlikely we can replicate all these in Arizona.” "
>
> https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/tsmc-founder-doubts-us-competence-in-chip-making/
>
> America has the touch of King Midas. It, however, is short on talents,
> infrastructure, and culture.

Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

<s6c1hh$ml3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1689&group=soc.culture.china#1689

From: soroo...@sorookee.com (serookee)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 00:02:37 +0800
 by: serookee - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 16:02 UTC

TMSC will risk being entrapped by US's lured on them to invest in US. After
some time, a US president will sig nan executive to force TMSC to be sold to
some American firms like what Tik Tok experienced it until they went to
court to reverse it.

<49fd4ffd-f33f-4621-92e0-c2c18dd85074n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1690&group=soc.culture.china#1690

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 09:37:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 16:37 UTC

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 12:12:35 PM UTC-4, serookee wrote:
> TMSC will risk being entrapped by US's lured on them to invest in US. After
> some time, a US president will sig nan executive to force TMSC to be sold to
> some American firms like what Tik Tok experienced it until they went to
> court to reverse it.

Possible.

"TSMC’s lucrative business – 2020 revenues soared 25% to hit a new high of NT$1.33 trillion (US$47.3 billion)."
I bet soaring 2020 revenues had something to do with US banning export to China. China would buy more
before the dead line. And TSMC met the demands with high prices.

Why is the transcript of Chang's speech leaked to AsiaTimes? May be he was trying to draw a line. The best of
TSMC would still be made in Taiwan.

> [...]
> > research
> > and manufacturing between its headquarters in Hsinchu, near Taipei, and
> > other plants across Taichung and Tainan.
> >
> > “It was a breeze for us to rotate technicians and staff among the three
> > fabs
> > across the island and when employees change over from one location to
> > another, they even do not need to move their homes thanks to Taiwan’s
> > bullet
> > trains and highways and well-rounded transport and logistical support,”
> > said
> > Chang.
> >
> > “It’s unlikely we can replicate all these in Arizona.” "
> >
> > https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/tsmc-founder-doubts-us-competence-in-chip-making/
> >
> > America has the touch of King Midas. It, however, is short on talents,
> > infrastructure, and culture.

Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

<s6c3bp$6io$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1691&group=soc.culture.china#1691

From: ber...@berini.com.ue (berini)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 00:43:46 +0800
 by: berini - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 16:43 UTC

Taiwan's TMSC will take some "change actions" in Taiwan when the president
Tsai is due to stepped down for election or from her tenure.

Tsai is from opposition party and obviously she will do all she can to block
Taiwanese companies from investing in China.

Tsai will quietly succumb herself on her knee before the US pressure on her
to disrupt Taiwanese companies in China.

The US aim on her is to rattle those Taiwan companies and channel them to US
instead.

So far, no Taiwanese companies were even thinking of moving their operations
out of China to US or even elsewhere at all.

Taiwan and certain other Asian countries know themselves well of others when
investing their production is concerned.

Many times the investment is just small to produce some components only that
are not essentially critical to its core item.

It is made with a gesture to please its current government in investing in
that country instead.

In case the investment is a modest gesture for the reciprocal economic
relationship rather than competence labour.

Henceforth, TMSE investment in Arizona is just a reciprocal relationship to
scratch each other back and not due to American competence skills.

<s6c4j7$j8g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1692&group=soc.culture.china#1692

From: toi...@tr.com (kitaro.)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 01:04:47 +0800
 by: kitaro. - Wed, 28 Apr 2021 17:04 UTC

90% of the design to production is conceived, preproduction, and made in
Taiwan.

TMSC is a ODM company and a OEM company, too.

That is why they have so many customers and so many orders.