The cost of living is going up, and the chance of living is going down.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Snow gates in Scotland

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Snow gates in ScotlandGordonD
+- Re: Snow gates in ScotlandCommander Kinsey
+* Re: Snow gates in ScotlandKen Blake
|+- Re: Snow gates in ScotlandCommander Kinsey
|+* Re: Snow gates in ScotlandSam Plusnet
||+- Re: Snow gates in ScotlandCommander Kinsey
||+* Re: Snow gates in ScotlandJerry Friedman
|||`- Re: Snow gates in Scotlandlar3ryca
||`* Re: Snow gates in ScotlandKen Blake
|| +- Re: Snow gates in ScotlandTonyCooper
|| `- Re: Snow gates in Scotlandbil...@shaw.ca
|`* Re: Snow gates in ScotlandPeter Moylan
| `- Re: Snow gates in ScotlandKen Blake
`* Re: Snow gates in ScotlandDingbat
 `* Re: Snow gates in ScotlandMadhu
  `- Re: Snow gates in ScotlandRoss Clark

1
Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<k1oosrFfda2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165390&group=alt.usage.english#165390

From: g.da...@btinternet.com (GordonD)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Snow gates in Scotland
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 20:05:48 +0000
<k19oplFjpm6U10@mid.individual.net> <op.1x2er4opmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<S9CdnYC6VI7R5iz-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com> <tou8i8$1t1$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<XNqdnRP1TMMVWS_-nZ2dnZfqlJz9fwAA@giganews.com>
<op.1x48ckcmmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<Jo6cnfnRTYofdS_-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com>
<op.1x5rbxopmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1nl0oFa19mU1@mid.individual.net>
<op.1ybav4hhmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
 by: GordonD - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 20:05 UTC

On 05/01/2023 18:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jan 2023 09:53:27 -0000, GordonD <g.davie@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 02/01/2023 19:05, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> I didn't notice the word. So much clutter on webpages nowadays
>>> my subconscious filters out stuff it thinks is adverts.
>>>
>>> So the word over time changed to mean the complete opposite? How
>>> absurd.
>>
>> How about 'cleave', which can mean two opposite things, both in
>> current use?
>
> I never use it, and only hear it occasionally, something to do with
> cutting meat?

More commonly to split a rock or a crystal of some sort - but it can
also mean to cling or stick to something. Probably the noun form is most
commonly used: cleavage.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cleave
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<op.1ybhu5dbmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165402&group=alt.usage.english#165402

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
<_LucnT0m3MD5XjP-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com> <op.1xzlonp5mvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<29ednQqqA_WDTzP-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com> <op.1xzoicqlmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<4_mdnbHzWuqtRDP-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com> <op.1xzo9lk3mvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<vqqdncbZheZrYTP-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com>
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 21:26:55 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 21:26 UTC

On Thu, 05 Jan 2023 20:05:48 -0000, GordonD <g.davie@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 05/01/2023 18:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Jan 2023 09:53:27 -0000, GordonD <g.davie@btinternet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> How about 'cleave', which can mean two opposite things, both in
>>> current use?
>>
>> I never use it, and only hear it occasionally, something to do with
>> cutting meat?
>
> More commonly to split a rock or a crystal of some sort

Everyone's heard of a meat cleaver, also used for murder. But not many folk are familiar with rock splitting.

> but it can
> also mean to cling or stick to something. Probably the noun form is most
> commonly used: cleavage.
>
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cleave

Ah! I'd never thought of cleave and cleavage as being related. Cleavage is very common on a hot day.

Mind you it took me 35 years to realise windscreen was to do with screening wind.

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<3aierh5oklbem1if8rg2clmakqsdc92ft5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165413&group=alt.usage.english#165413

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2023 16:11:20 -0700
References: <vqqdncbZheZrYTP-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com> <k19oplFjpm6U10@mid.individual.net> <op.1x2er4opmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <S9CdnYC6VI7R5iz-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com> <tou8i8$1t1$1@gioia.aioe.org> <XNqdnRP1TMMVWS_-nZ2dnZfqlJz9fwAA@giganews.com> <op.1x48ckcmmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <Jo6cnfnRTYofdS_-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com> <op.1x5rbxopmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1nl0oFa19mU1@mid.individual.net> <op.1ybav4hhmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1oosrFfda2U1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Ken Blake - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:11 UTC

I thought only women had cleavage.

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<op.1ybpfvh4mvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165422&group=alt.usage.english#165422

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 00:10:33 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 00:10 UTC

On Thu, 05 Jan 2023 23:11:20 -0000, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 20:05:48 +0000, GordonD <g.davie@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 05/01/2023 18:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> I never use it, and only hear it occasionally, something to do with
>>> cutting meat?
>>
>> More commonly to split a rock or a crystal of some sort - but it can
>> also mean to cling or stick to something. Probably the noun form is most
>> commonly used: cleavage.
>
> I thought only women had cleavage.

Women are common.

What's the gap between the buttocks? Or is that a cleft?

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<pNKtL.1562061$9f26.990145@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165425&group=alt.usage.english#165425

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 01:26:45 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 01:26 UTC

On 05-Jan-23 23:11, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 20:05:48 +0000, GordonD <g.davie@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 05/01/2023 18:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> I never use it, and only hear it occasionally, something to do with
>>> cutting meat?
>>
>> More commonly to split a rock or a crystal of some sort - but it can
>> also mean to cling or stick to something. Probably the noun form is most
>> commonly used: cleavage.
>

> I thought only women had cleavage.

Is the term "builder's cleavage" not known in the US?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/builder%27s_cleavage

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<op.1ybubxevmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165429&group=alt.usage.english#165429

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 01:56:11 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 01:56 UTC

On Fri, 06 Jan 2023 01:26:45 -0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

> On 05-Jan-23 23:11, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 20:05:48 +0000, GordonD <g.davie@btinternet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> More commonly to split a rock or a crystal of some sort - but it can
>>> also mean to cling or stick to something. Probably the noun form is most
>>> commonly used: cleavage.
>>

>> I thought only women had cleavage.
>
> Is the term "builder's cleavage" not known in the US?
>
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/builder%27s_cleavage

Never heard that as cleavage. Builder's bum. And why can't they afford belts?

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<tp85so$32trm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165433&group=alt.usage.english#165433

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 14:51:50 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 03:51 UTC

On 06/01/23 10:11, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 20:05:48 +0000, GordonD <g.davie@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>> On 05/01/2023 18:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> I never use it, and only hear it occasionally, something to do
>>> with cutting meat?
>>
>> More commonly to split a rock or a crystal of some sort - but it
>> can also mean to cling or stick to something. Probably the noun
>> form is most commonly used: cleavage.
>
> I thought only women had cleavage.

That sort of (visible) cleavage usually requires wearing the sort of
clothing that pushes the breasts together. It therefore has both
meanings: a split, and a pushing together.

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<12cfe13b-4278-49a5-a904-6e9c728a425bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165436&group=alt.usage.english#165436

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 20:45:12 -0800 (PST)
From: jerry.fr...@gmail.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 04:45 UTC

On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 6:26:50 PM UTC-7, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 05-Jan-23 23:11, Ken Blake wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 20:05:48 +0000, GordonD <g.d...@btinternet.com>
> > wrote:

[cleave]
> >> More commonly to split a rock or a crystal of some sort - but it can
> >> also mean to cling or stick to something. Probably the noun form is most
> >> commonly used: cleavage.
> >

> > I thought only women had cleavage.

> Is the term "builder's cleavage" not known in the US?
>
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/builder%27s_cleavage

More commonly "plumber's crack", though there are variations.

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<tp8b9a$336v3$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165438&group=alt.usage.english#165438

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:23:54 -0600
<k19oplFjpm6U10@mid.individual.net> <op.1x2er4opmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<S9CdnYC6VI7R5iz-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com> <tou8i8$1t1$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<XNqdnRP1TMMVWS_-nZ2dnZfqlJz9fwAA@giganews.com>
<op.1x48ckcmmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<Jo6cnfnRTYofdS_-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com>
<op.1x5rbxopmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1nl0oFa19mU1@mid.individual.net>
<op.1ybav4hhmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1oosrFfda2U1@mid.individual.net>
<3aierh5oklbem1if8rg2clmakqsdc92ft5@4ax.com>
<pNKtL.1562061$9f26.990145@fx09.ams1>
<12cfe13b-4278-49a5-a904-6e9c728a425bn@googlegroups.com>
 by: lar3ryca - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 05:23 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yICoZNmTCo

--
I have a boomerang that won't come back. I call it my stick.

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<b6jgrh5rtbfurv1b0vra9plhgoij8sdei6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165478&group=alt.usage.english#165478

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 09:31:54 -0700
References: <op.1x2er4opmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <S9CdnYC6VI7R5iz-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com> <tou8i8$1t1$1@gioia.aioe.org> <XNqdnRP1TMMVWS_-nZ2dnZfqlJz9fwAA@giganews.com> <op.1x48ckcmmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <Jo6cnfnRTYofdS_-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com> <op.1x5rbxopmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1nl0oFa19mU1@mid.individual.net> <op.1ybav4hhmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1oosrFfda2U1@mid.individual.net> <3aierh5oklbem1if8rg2clmakqsdc92ft5@4ax.com> <pNKtL.1562061$9f26.990145@fx09.ams1>
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 16:31 UTC

On Fri, 6 Jan 2023 01:26:45 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 05-Jan-23 23:11, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 20:05:48 +0000, GordonD <g.davie@btinternet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> More commonly to split a rock or a crystal of some sort - but it can
>>> also mean to cling or stick to something. Probably the noun form is most
>>> commonly used: cleavage.
>>

>> I thought only women had cleavage.
>
>Is the term "builder's cleavage" not known in the US?

I can't speak for everyone in the US, but it wasn't known to me until
I just looked it up.

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<q8jgrh1t6sgiip1m8voddc7915oc7cc6mm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165480&group=alt.usage.english#165480

From: Ken...@invalid.news.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 09:36:23 -0700
References: <k19oplFjpm6U10@mid.individual.net> <op.1x2er4opmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <S9CdnYC6VI7R5iz-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com> <tou8i8$1t1$1@gioia.aioe.org> <XNqdnRP1TMMVWS_-nZ2dnZfqlJz9fwAA@giganews.com> <op.1x48ckcmmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <Jo6cnfnRTYofdS_-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com> <op.1x5rbxopmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1nl0oFa19mU1@mid.individual.net> <op.1ybav4hhmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1oosrFfda2U1@mid.individual.net> <3aierh5oklbem1if8rg2clmakqsdc92ft5@4ax.com> <tp85so$32trm$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Ken Blake - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 16:36 UTC

On Fri, 6 Jan 2023 14:51:50 +1100, Peter Moylan
<peter@pmoylan.org.invalid> wrote:

>On 06/01/23 10:11, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Jan 2023 20:05:48 +0000, GordonD <g.davie@btinternet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> More commonly to split a rock or a crystal of some sort - but it
>>> can also mean to cling or stick to something. Probably the noun
>>> form is most commonly used: cleavage.
>>
>> I thought only women had cleavage.
>
>That sort of (visible) cleavage usually requires wearing the sort of
>clothing that pushes the breasts together.

Usually, yes. True of most women, but I don't think it's true of all.

> It therefore has both
>meanings: a split, and a pushing together.

I've occasionally seen a web page with a picture of a woman wearing a
low-cut top, but without her breasts touching each other, and with
text that talked about her visible cleavage. I wouldn't call that
"cleavage," but apparently some people do.

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<hhjgrhtk53u7p5a1hv2k0p25ur08qmqilp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=165482&group=alt.usage.english#165482

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (TonyCooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 11:40:56 -0500
References: <S9CdnYC6VI7R5iz-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com> <tou8i8$1t1$1@gioia.aioe.org> <XNqdnRP1TMMVWS_-nZ2dnZfqlJz9fwAA@giganews.com> <op.1x48ckcmmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <Jo6cnfnRTYofdS_-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com> <op.1x5rbxopmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1nl0oFa19mU1@mid.individual.net> <op.1ybav4hhmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1oosrFfda2U1@mid.individual.net> <3aierh5oklbem1if8rg2clmakqsdc92ft5@4ax.com> <pNKtL.1562061$9f26.990145@fx09.ams1> <b6jgrh5rtbfurv1b0vra9plhgoij8sdei6@4ax.com>
 by: TonyCooper - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 16:40 UTC

On Fri, 06 Jan 2023 09:31:54 -0700, Ken Blake <Ken@invalid.news.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Jan 2023 01:26:45 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>>On 05-Jan-23 23:11, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> I thought only women had cleavage.
>>
>>Is the term "builder's cleavage" not known in the US?
>

>I can't speak for everyone in the US, but it wasn't known to me until
>I just looked it up.

The term wouldn't be known in the US because we don't generally use
"builders" to describe the individual people who work at building
things. When applied, it's applied the entire group.

The plumber is an individual who is often in a position where
"plumber's butt" is exposed.
--

Tony Cooper - Orlando,Florida

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<c033cd3f-7494-4ab1-b3be-f0ba226e43d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=166513&group=alt.usage.english#166513

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 00:06:55 -0800 (PST)
From: bill...@shaw.ca (bil...@shaw.ca)
 by: bil...@shaw.ca - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 08:06 UTC

On Friday, January 6, 2023 at 8:32:01 AM UTC-8, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2023 01:26:45 +0000, Sam Plusnet <n...@home.com> wrote:
>
> >On 05-Jan-23 23:11, Ken Blake wrote:

> >> I thought only women had cleavage.
> >
> >Is the term "builder's cleavage" not known in the US?
> I can't speak for everyone in the US, but it wasn't known to me until
> I just looked it up.

In Canada, it's known as plumber's crack.

bill

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<0d9e520b-02ba-4456-b253-bb6ce178a656n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169088&group=alt.usage.english#169088

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 07:47:23 -0800 (PST)
From: ranjit_m...@yahoo.com (Dingbat)
 by: Dingbat - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 15:47 UTC

On Thursday, January 5, 2023 at 12:05:53 PM UTC-8, GordonD wrote:
> On 05/01/2023 18:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> > On Thu, 05 Jan 2023 09:53:27 -0000, GordonD <g.d...@btinternet.com>
> > wrote:

> >> How about 'cleave', which can mean two opposite things, both in
> >> current use?
> >
> > I never use it, and only hear it occasionally, something to do with
> > cutting meat?
> More commonly to split a rock or a crystal of some sort - but it can
> also mean to cling or stick to something. Probably the noun form is most
> commonly used: cleavage.
>
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cleave
> --
Rock of ages, cleft for me
https://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/h/1058
Was Jesus cleaved in any Gospel narrative?
If not, what does cleft mean?

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<m3ilg817vl.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169176&group=alt.usage.english#169176

From: enom...@meer.net (Madhu)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 22:01:26 +0530
<k19oplFjpm6U10@mid.individual.net> <op.1x2er4opmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<S9CdnYC6VI7R5iz-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com>
<tou8i8$1t1$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<XNqdnRP1TMMVWS_-nZ2dnZfqlJz9fwAA@giganews.com>
<op.1x48ckcmmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<Jo6cnfnRTYofdS_-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com>
<op.1x5rbxopmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1nl0oFa19mU1@mid.individual.net>
<op.1ybav4hhmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1oosrFfda2U1@mid.individual.net>
<0d9e520b-02ba-4456-b253-bb6ce178a656n@googlegroups.com>
sha1:pCg1+s9KBwjFhNwaYltkXWYefKY=
 by: Madhu - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 16:31 UTC

* Dingbat <0d9e520b-02ba-4456-b253-bb6ce178a656n @googlegroups.com> :
Wrote on Fri, 10 Feb 2023 07:47:23 -0800 (PST):
> Rock of ages, cleft for me
> https://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/h/1058
> Was Jesus cleaved in any Gospel narrative?
> If not, what does cleft mean?

I don't know about hymns but this seems to be the usual meaning of
"cleft", ("clift") in the rock where you ensconce yourself, like Moses
was directed to do in the memorable Exodus passage:

33:22-23 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by,
that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee
with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand,
and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

The Rock of Ages I was familiar with was a tune by Def Leppard. Oh wait.

"According to the liner notes of the compilation release Rock of
Ages: The Definitive Collection, the band was at a recording
studio when lead vocalist Joe Elliott stumbled upon a hymn book
left by a member of a children's choir that had just used the
studio. In the book, he saw the words "Rock of Ages", which
prompted him to write the lyrics of the song."

which leads to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_of_Ages_(Christian_hymn)
but no clues on cleft

Re: Snow gates in Scotland

<ts9938$1hrni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169198&group=alt.usage.english#169198

From: benli...@ihug.co.nz (Ross Clark)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 12:41:24 +1300
<k19oplFjpm6U10@mid.individual.net> <op.1x2er4opmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<S9CdnYC6VI7R5iz-nZ2dnZfqlJxg4p2d@giganews.com> <tou8i8$1t1$1@gioia.aioe.org>
<XNqdnRP1TMMVWS_-nZ2dnZfqlJz9fwAA@giganews.com>
<op.1x48ckcmmvhs6z@ryzen.home>
<Jo6cnfnRTYofdS_-nZ2dnZfqlJ9h4p2d@giganews.com>
<op.1x5rbxopmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1nl0oFa19mU1@mid.individual.net>
<op.1ybav4hhmvhs6z@ryzen.home> <k1oosrFfda2U1@mid.individual.net>
<0d9e520b-02ba-4456-b253-bb6ce178a656n@googlegroups.com>
<m3ilg817vl.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>
 by: Ross Clark - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 23:41 UTC

On 12/02/2023 5:31 a.m., Madhu wrote:

> * Dingbat <0d9e520b-02ba-4456-b253-bb6ce178a656n @googlegroups.com> :
> Wrote on Fri, 10 Feb 2023 07:47:23 -0800 (PST):
>> Rock of ages, cleft for me
>> https://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/h/1058
>> Was Jesus cleaved in any Gospel narrative?
>> If not, what does cleft mean?

It means 'split' (past participle of "cleave"). Splitting the rock makes
a "cleft" ('split') in which you can be hidden -- either to keep you
from seeing God's face (as below) or to be safe from...whatever.

> I don't know about hymns but this seems to be the usual meaning of
> "cleft", ("clift") in the rock where you ensconce yourself, like Moses
> was directed to do in the memorable Exodus passage:
>
> 33:22-23 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by,
> that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee
> with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand,
> and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Don't remember this particular bit from Sunday School, but I'm sure it's
dealt with here:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/563773/god-an-anatomy-by-francesca-stavrakopoulou/