I will always love the false image I had of you.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Making sense of Euro-English

SubjectAuthor
* Making sense of Euro-EnglishDingbat
+- Re: Making sense of Euro-EnglishHibou
`* Re: Making sense of Euro-Englishbil...@shaw.ca
 +- Re: Making sense of Euro-EnglishPeter Moylan
 `- Re: Making sense of Euro-Englishbruce bowser

1
Making sense of Euro-English

<f01b62c1-0a66-4e59-94d5-79f8fcb2104dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169081&group=alt.usage.english#169081

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 03:07:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Making sense of Euro-English
From: ranjit_m...@yahoo.com (Dingbat)
 by: Dingbat - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 11:07 UTC

On 3 Feb, a Dutch seismologist predicted an earthquake sooner or
later in the region of Turkey where it just occurred. He didn't
predict that it was imminent but it turned out that it was. After
the fact, he wrote this, as quoted by the Jerusalem Post:
<https://www.jpost.com/international/article-730932>

The large earthquakes in Central Turkey have caused a significant
change in stress distribution throughout the region, with seismic
activity down to Palestine as a result. Clearly, the region is resettling.
— Frank Hoogerbeets (@hogrbe) February 8, 2023
pic.twitter.com/KZ9LzjAm6c

What does "seismic activity is down to Palestine" mean? Does it
mean that it will increase in Palestine and decrease elsewhere?

Re: Making sense of Euro-English

<ts5a3k$11f20$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169082&group=alt.usage.english#169082

From: vpaereru...@yahoo.com.invalid (Hibou)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Making sense of Euro-English
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 11:34:12 +0000
 by: Hibou - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 11:34 UTC

Le 10/02/2023 à 11:07, Dingbat a écrit :

> On 3 Feb, a Dutch seismologist predicted an earthquake sooner or
> later in the region of Turkey where it just occurred. He didn't
> predict that it was imminent but it turned out that it was. After
> the fact, he wrote this, as quoted by the Jerusalem Post:
> <https://www.jpost.com/international/article-730932>
>
> The large earthquakes in Central Turkey have caused a significant
> change in stress distribution throughout the region, with seismic
> activity down to Palestine as a result. Clearly, the region is resettling.
> — Frank Hoogerbeets (@hogrbe) February 8, 2023
> pic.twitter.com/KZ9LzjAm6c
>
> What does "seismic activity is down to Palestine" mean? Does it
> mean that it will increase in Palestine and decrease elsewhere?

"Down to Palestine", not "is down to Palestine" - i.e. as far south as
Palestine.

It's not Palestine's /fault/, as far as I know.

Re: Making sense of Euro-English

<393fb2a3-972f-4cee-b36b-0749c4f27bden@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169129&group=alt.usage.english#169129

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 13:39:08 -0800 (PST)
From: bill...@shaw.ca (bil...@shaw.ca)
 by: bil...@shaw.ca - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 21:39 UTC

On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 3:07:03 AM UTC-8, Dingbat wrote:
> On 3 Feb, a Dutch seismologist predicted an earthquake sooner or
> later in the region of Turkey where it just occurred. He didn't
> predict that it was imminent but it turned out that it was. After
> the fact, he wrote this, as quoted by the Jerusalem Post:
> <https://www.jpost.com/international/article-730932>

Any seismologist who has studied a region will know, based on
the region's underlying tectonic makeup and its history of seismic
activity, the approximate risk of another quake.
> The large earthquakes in Central Turkey have caused a significant
> change in stress distribution throughout the region, with seismic
> activity down to Palestine as a result. Clearly, the region is resettling..
> — Frank Hoogerbeets (@hogrbe) February 8, 2023
> pic.twitter.com/KZ9LzjAm6c
>
> What does "seismic activity is down to Palestine" mean? Does it
> mean that it will increase in Palestine and decrease elsewhere?

I think the reference is not only seismic but also geographic. I'm
fairly sure that Hoogerbeets means the seismic shifting that has
already occurred in the region is likely to lead to further activity -- i.e..
more earthquakes -- as the tectonic plates in the region settle into a
new balance. It follows that "down to Palestine" can be read as
"as far south as Palestine".

bill

Re: Making sense of Euro-English

<ts73us$1an3c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169150&group=alt.usage.english#169150

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 15:01:31 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 04:01 UTC

On 11/02/23 08:39, bil...@shaw.ca wrote:
> On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 3:07:03 AM UTC-8, Dingbat wrote:
>> On 3 Feb, a Dutch seismologist predicted an earthquake sooner or
>> later in the region of Turkey where it just occurred. He didn't
>> predict that it was imminent but it turned out that it was. After
>> the fact, he wrote this, as quoted by the Jerusalem Post:
>> <https://www.jpost.com/international/article-730932>
>
> Any seismologist who has studied a region will know, based on
> the region's underlying tectonic makeup and its history of seismic
> activity, the approximate risk of another quake.
>> The large earthquakes in Central Turkey have caused a significant
>> change in stress distribution throughout the region, with seismic
>> activity down to Palestine as a result. Clearly, the region is resettling.
>> — Frank Hoogerbeets (@hogrbe) February 8, 2023
>> pic.twitter.com/KZ9LzjAm6c
>>
>> What does "seismic activity is down to Palestine" mean? Does it
>> mean that it will increase in Palestine and decrease elsewhere?
>
> I think the reference is not only seismic but also geographic. I'm
> fairly sure that Hoogerbeets means the seismic shifting that has
> already occurred in the region is likely to lead to further activity -- i.e.
> more earthquakes -- as the tectonic plates in the region settle into a
> new balance. It follows that "down to Palestine" can be read as
> "as far south as Palestine".

There's certainly a lot of resettling happening in Palestine.

Re: Making sense of Euro-English

<bb554349-225c-4d20-b9b5-624c755ca2b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=169177&group=alt.usage.english#169177

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 08:48:03 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce1.9...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 16:48 UTC

On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 4:39:11 PM UTC-5, bil...@shaw.ca wrote:
> On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 3:07:03 AM UTC-8, Dingbat wrote:
> > On 3 Feb, a Dutch seismologist predicted an earthquake sooner or
> > later in the region of Turkey where it just occurred. He didn't
> > predict that it was imminent but it turned out that it was. After
> > the fact, he wrote this, as quoted by the Jerusalem Post:
> > <https://www.jpost.com/international/article-730932>
> Any seismologist who has studied a region will know, based on
> the region's underlying tectonic makeup and its history of seismic
> activity, the approximate risk of another quake.
> > The large earthquakes in Central Turkey have caused a significant
> > change in stress distribution throughout the region, with seismic
> > activity down to Palestine as a result. Clearly, the region is resettling.
> > — Frank Hoogerbeets (@hogrbe) February 8, 2023
> > pic.twitter.com/KZ9LzjAm6c
> >
> > What does "seismic activity is down to Palestine" mean? Does it
> > mean that it will increase in Palestine and decrease elsewhere?
>
> I think the reference is not only seismic but also geographic. I'm
> fairly sure that Hoogerbeets means the seismic shifting that has
> already occurred in the region is likely to lead to further activity -- i..e.
> more earthquakes -- as the tectonic plates in the region settle into a
> new balance. It follows that "down to Palestine" can be read as
> "as far south as Palestine".

And Dingbat, don't hesitate to actually try to contact the author Mr Hoogerbeets. Don't worry he speaks English, too.

interests / alt.usage.english / Re: Making sense of Euro-English