The only constant is change.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

SubjectAuthor
* Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingbmoore
`* Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingltlee1
 `* Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingbmoore
  `* Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingltlee1
   `* Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingbmoore
    `* Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingltlee1
     `- Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-makingbmoore

1
Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

<a62609e7-59a1-4b1e-86db-41506ce7c837n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1661&group=soc.culture.china#1661

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 11:04:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 18:04 UTC

On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 8:42:46 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> ""At a forum hosted by Taiwanese media outlets, Chang hailed the workhorse mentality of the Taiwanese working class, as well as the island’s deep pool of high-caliber, industrious talent devoted to the chip sector.
>
> At the same time, Chang pointed to an apparent comparative lack of talent in America’s mostly moribund manufacturing sector.
>
> “The United States stood out for cheap land and electricity when TSMC looked for an overseas site but we had to try hard to scout out competent technicians and workers in Arizona because manufacturing jobs have not been popular among American people for decades,” Chang said, according to a transcript of his speech viewed by Asia Times.
>
> Chang also warned about sending Taiwanese managers overseas to run plants..
>
> “Computers of different brands can often be hooked together but not people of different culture,” he said, referring to the preponderance of Taiwanese and Taiwan-trained managers and technicians at TSMC.
>
> “The fact that TSMC’s top-flight executives can deliver top results in Taiwan is no guarantee of similar performance when they are posted overseas.” Only one Westerner sits on the company’s 26-member board.
>
> Taiwan’s state-of-the-art infrastructure helps to rev up TSMC’s operations and time-to-design and time-to-market capacities, he said.
>
> Chang said the island’s efficient and well-developed high-speed rail network and cobweb of expressways provided the vital “circuitry” for TSMC’s research and manufacturing between its headquarters in Hsinchu, near Taipei, and other plants across Taichung and Tainan.
>
> “It was a breeze for us to rotate technicians and staff among the three fabs across the island and when employees change over from one location to another, they even do not need to move their homes thanks to Taiwan’s bullet trains and highways and well-rounded transport and logistical support,” said Chang.
>
> “It’s unlikely we can replicate all these in Arizona.” "
>
> https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/tsmc-founder-doubts-us-competence-in-chip-making/
>
> America has the touch of King Midas. It, however, is short on talents, infrastructure, and culture.

Chang is just talking about the fact that many Americans don't want to work in manufacturing. Intel and others still make good chips, have talented engineers.

Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

<94a17e62-3566-4c73-8492-32e541b833d7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1663&group=soc.culture.china#1663

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 11:21:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 18:21 UTC

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 2:04:05 PM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
> On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 8:42:46 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> > ""At a forum hosted by Taiwanese media outlets, Chang hailed the workhorse mentality of the Taiwanese working class, as well as the island’s deep pool of high-caliber, industrious talent devoted to the chip sector.
> >
> > At the same time, Chang pointed to an apparent comparative lack of talent in America’s mostly moribund manufacturing sector.
> >
> > “The United States stood out for cheap land and electricity when TSMC looked for an overseas site but we had to try hard to scout out competent technicians and workers in Arizona because manufacturing jobs have not been popular among American people for decades,” Chang said, according to a transcript of his speech viewed by Asia Times.
> >
> > Chang also warned about sending Taiwanese managers overseas to run plants.
> >
> > “Computers of different brands can often be hooked together but not people of different culture,” he said, referring to the preponderance of Taiwanese and Taiwan-trained managers and technicians at TSMC.
> >
> > “The fact that TSMC’s top-flight executives can deliver top results in Taiwan is no guarantee of similar performance when they are posted overseas.” Only one Westerner sits on the company’s 26-member board.
> >
> > Taiwan’s state-of-the-art infrastructure helps to rev up TSMC’s operations and time-to-design and time-to-market capacities, he said.
> >
> > Chang said the island’s efficient and well-developed high-speed rail network and cobweb of expressways provided the vital “circuitry” for TSMC’s research and manufacturing between its headquarters in Hsinchu, near Taipei, and other plants across Taichung and Tainan.
> >
> > “It was a breeze for us to rotate technicians and staff among the three fabs across the island and when employees change over from one location to another, they even do not need to move their homes thanks to Taiwan’s bullet trains and highways and well-rounded transport and logistical support,” said Chang.
> >
> > “It’s unlikely we can replicate all these in Arizona.” "
> >
> > https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/tsmc-founder-doubts-us-competence-in-chip-making/
> >
> > America has the touch of King Midas. It, however, is short on talents, infrastructure, and culture.
> Chang is just talking about the fact that many Americans don't want to work in manufacturing. Intel and others still make good chips, have talented engineers.

Chang is talking about shortage of talents, infrastructure, and culture in the US.
To be sure many Americans don't want to work in manufacturing. Many Americans living in the cities also don't want to work in rural areas. Else America would need a lot less immigrants from South of the border.

Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

<86b76c29-8c10-4c19-8295-c75b6700db08n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1664&group=soc.culture.china#1664

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 11:32:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 18:32 UTC

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 11:21:44 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 2:04:05 PM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
> > On Monday, April 26, 2021 at 8:42:46 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> > > ""At a forum hosted by Taiwanese media outlets, Chang hailed the workhorse mentality of the Taiwanese working class, as well as the island’s deep pool of high-caliber, industrious talent devoted to the chip sector.
> > >
> > > At the same time, Chang pointed to an apparent comparative lack of talent in America’s mostly moribund manufacturing sector.
> > >
> > > “The United States stood out for cheap land and electricity when TSMC looked for an overseas site but we had to try hard to scout out competent technicians and workers in Arizona because manufacturing jobs have not been popular among American people for decades,” Chang said, according to a transcript of his speech viewed by Asia Times.
> > >
> > > Chang also warned about sending Taiwanese managers overseas to run plants.
> > >
> > > “Computers of different brands can often be hooked together but not people of different culture,” he said, referring to the preponderance of Taiwanese and Taiwan-trained managers and technicians at TSMC.
> > >
> > > “The fact that TSMC’s top-flight executives can deliver top results in Taiwan is no guarantee of similar performance when they are posted overseas.” Only one Westerner sits on the company’s 26-member board.
> > >
> > > Taiwan’s state-of-the-art infrastructure helps to rev up TSMC’s operations and time-to-design and time-to-market capacities, he said.
> > >
> > > Chang said the island’s efficient and well-developed high-speed rail network and cobweb of expressways provided the vital “circuitry” for TSMC’s research and manufacturing between its headquarters in Hsinchu, near Taipei, and other plants across Taichung and Tainan.
> > >
> > > “It was a breeze for us to rotate technicians and staff among the three fabs across the island and when employees change over from one location to another, they even do not need to move their homes thanks to Taiwan’s bullet trains and highways and well-rounded transport and logistical support,” said Chang.
> > >
> > > “It’s unlikely we can replicate all these in Arizona.” "
> > >
> > > https://asiatimes.com/2021/04/tsmc-founder-doubts-us-competence-in-chip-making/
> > >
> > > America has the touch of King Midas. It, however, is short on talents, infrastructure, and culture.
> > Chang is just talking about the fact that many Americans don't want to work in manufacturing. Intel and others still make good chips, have talented engineers.
> Chang is talking about shortage of talents, infrastructure, and culture in the US.

I didn't get that from the article at all.

> To be sure many Americans don't want to work in manufacturing. Many Americans living in the cities also don't want to work in rural areas. Else America would need a lot less immigrants from South of the border.

Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

<0b43e2ef-8bbb-41fa-ae4d-8211ff313c9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1665&group=soc.culture.china#1665

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 12:43:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 19:43 UTC

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 2:32:58 PM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 11:21:44 AM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > Chang is just talking about the fact that many Americans don't want to work in manufacturing. Intel and others still make good chips, have talented engineers.
> > Chang is talking about shortage of talents, infrastructure, and culture in the US.
> I didn't get that from the article at all.
> > To be sure many Americans don't want to work in manufacturing. Many Americans living in the cities also don't want to work in rural areas. Else America would need a lot less immigrants from South of the border.

Talent pool and worker culture:
"At a forum hosted by Taiwanese media outlets, Chang hailed the workhorse mentality of the Taiwanese working class, as well as the island’s deep pool of high-caliber, industrious talent devoted to the chip sector.
At the same time, Chang pointed to an apparent comparative lack of talent in America’s mostly moribund manufacturing sector."

Infrastructure:
"Taiwan’s state-of-the-art infrastructure helps to rev up TSMC’s operations and time-to-design and time-to-market capacities, he said.
Chang said the island’s efficient and well-developed high-speed rail network and cobweb of expressways provided the vital “circuitry” for TSMC’s research and manufacturing between its headquarters in Hsinchu, near Taipei, and other plants across Taichung and Tainan.
“It was a breeze for us to rotate technicians and staff among the three fabs across the island and when employees change over from one location to another, they even do not need to move their homes thanks to Taiwan’s bullet trains and highways and well-rounded transport and logistical support,” said Chang. ""

Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

<826ff09c-256f-4c98-bc8a-aad7854bc509n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1671&group=soc.culture.china#1671

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 15:43:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 22:43 UTC

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 12:43:04 PM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 2:32:58 PM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:

> > > Chang is talking about shortage of talents, infrastructure, and culture in the US.
> > I didn't get that from the article at all.
> > > To be sure many Americans don't want to work in manufacturing. Many Americans living in the cities also don't want to work in rural areas. Else America would need a lot less immigrants from South of the border.
> Talent pool and worker culture:
> "At a forum hosted by Taiwanese media outlets, Chang hailed the workhorse mentality of the Taiwanese working class, as well as the island’s deep pool of high-caliber, industrious talent devoted to the chip sector.
> At the same time, Chang pointed to an apparent comparative lack of talent in America’s mostly moribund manufacturing sector."
> Infrastructure:
> "Taiwan’s state-of-the-art infrastructure helps to rev up TSMC’s operations and time-to-design and time-to-market capacities, he said.
> Chang said the island’s efficient and well-developed high-speed rail network and cobweb of expressways provided the vital “circuitry” for TSMC’s research and manufacturing between its headquarters in Hsinchu, near Taipei, and other plants across Taichung and Tainan.
> “It was a breeze for us to rotate technicians and staff among the three fabs across the island and when employees change over from one location to another, they even do not need to move their homes thanks to Taiwan’s bullet trains and highways and well-rounded transport and logistical support,” said Chang. ""

He was praising Taiwan.

Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

<0825b51f-5517-45d4-977e-97c2a7545ae4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1673&group=soc.culture.china#1673

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 16:15:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 23:15 UTC

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 6:43:59 PM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 12:43:04 PM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > I didn't get that from the article at all.

> > Talent pool and worker culture:
> > "At a forum hosted by Taiwanese media outlets, Chang hailed the workhorse mentality of the Taiwanese working class, as well as the island’s deep pool of high-caliber, industrious talent devoted to the chip sector.
> > At the same time, Chang pointed to an apparent comparative lack of talent in America’s mostly moribund manufacturing sector."
> > Infrastructure:
> > "Taiwan’s state-of-the-art infrastructure helps to rev up TSMC’s operations and time-to-design and time-to-market capacities, he said.
> > Chang said the island’s efficient and well-developed high-speed rail network and cobweb of expressways provided the vital “circuitry” for TSMC’s research and manufacturing between its headquarters in Hsinchu, near Taipei, and other plants across Taichung and Tainan.

> > “It was a breeze for us to rotate technicians and staff among the three fabs across the island and when employees change over from one location to another, they even do not need to move their homes thanks to Taiwan’s bullet trains and highways and well-rounded transport and logistical support,” said Chang. ""

> He was praising Taiwan.
He also praised the US.
“The United States stood out for cheap land and electricity when TSMC looked for an overseas site..." but nothing else.
But with the above mentioned short comings, the conclusion is

"TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making."

Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

<44ae8012-e3e6-4add-acf8-247fa562bc36n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1674&group=soc.culture.china#1674

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 16:28:56 -0700 (PDT)
References: <172f1876-b5de-41cf-b1de-5021ea87b435n@googlegroups.com> <a62609e7-59a1-4b1e-86db-41506ce7c837n@googlegroups.com> <94a17e62-3566-4c73-8492-32e541b833d7n@googlegroups.com> <86b76c29-8c10-4c19-8295-c75b6700db08n@googlegroups.com> <0b43e2ef-8bbb-41fa-ae4d-8211ff313c9an@googlegroups.com> <826ff09c-256f-4c98-bc8a-aad7854bc509n@googlegroups.com> <0825b51f-5517-45d4-977e-97c2a7545ae4n@googlegroups.com>
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Tue, 27 Apr 2021 23:28 UTC

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 4:15:44 PM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 6:43:59 PM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:

> > > Talent pool and worker culture:
> > > "At a forum hosted by Taiwanese media outlets, Chang hailed the workhorse mentality of the Taiwanese working class, as well as the island’s deep pool of high-caliber, industrious talent devoted to the chip sector.
> > > At the same time, Chang pointed to an apparent comparative lack of talent in America’s mostly moribund manufacturing sector."
> > > Infrastructure:
> > > "Taiwan’s state-of-the-art infrastructure helps to rev up TSMC’s operations and time-to-design and time-to-market capacities, he said.
> > > Chang said the island’s efficient and well-developed high-speed rail network and cobweb of expressways provided the vital “circuitry” for TSMC’s research and manufacturing between its headquarters in Hsinchu, near Taipei, and other plants across Taichung and Tainan.
>
> > > “It was a breeze for us to rotate technicians and staff among the three fabs across the island and when employees change over from one location to another, they even do not need to move their homes thanks to Taiwan’s bullet trains and highways and well-rounded transport and logistical support,” said Chang. ""
>
> > He was praising Taiwan.
> He also praised the US.
> “The United States stood out for cheap land and electricity when TSMC looked for an overseas site..." but nothing else.
> But with the above mentioned short comings, the conclusion is
>
> "TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making."

It's a big stretch to interpret Chang's comments that way. Just more US bashing from the Asia Times.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making