Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 10:33:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Tragic Tourist
From: magicbym...@yahoo.com (Chris Bowers)
 by: Chris Bowers - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 18:33 UTC

Completely tragic tourist that was petless. Argh!

Level 3 had an altar, and even petless, you can win just upon finding an altar. Especially since tourists start with significant food which allows a bit of camping.

Converted the altar which was next to a shop which had MORE food, which I could buy because tourists have money. First sacrifce gift was mojo! Now I was in a game winning position because my altar could test armor and I just slowly upgraded this guy by digging our vaults. I also found a bones file of an Arc which had a touchstone and that got me more money for donating as well as an EARLY luckstone. The early luckstone was fantastic because it allowed my hammer to hit more often. We were on easy street until I found a nest of cockatrices on level 21.

I was confident as I had mojo up to basic and had maxed my luck (and fixed it with the luckstone blessed).

However I stepped on a trap that caused me to fall asleep and that was game, the cockatrices just got too many attacks and too many turns elapsed.

I wouldn't classify this as a YASD, however this is definitely a case of SHPAI. Or "Should have played around it." I could have easily avoided the cockatrice lair until I had more intrinsics or a ridiculously high armor class (or an amulet of lifesaving!). There was NO reason I had to fight them right then other than being greedy for treasure.

Re: Tragic Tourist

<tnd603$2rlt6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1677&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#1677

From: janis_pa...@hotmail.com (Janis Papanagnou)
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: Re: Tragic Tourist
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 19:51:47 +0100
 by: Janis Papanagnou - Wed, 14 Dec 2022 18:51 UTC

On 14.12.2022 19:33, Chris Bowers wrote:
> Completely tragic tourist that was petless. Argh!
>
> [ snip details ]
>
> However I stepped on a trap that caused me to fall asleep and that
> was game, the cockatrices just got too many attacks and too many
> turns elapsed.

This is the reason why I try to continuously re-estimate risks and
options. The fact that lacking poison resistance (or sleep, as you
experienced) can insta-kill you makes it worthwhile to consider
getting crowned; which would be feasible for your game since you
had an early altar to pray/reconcile until successful.

> I wouldn't classify this as a YASD, however this is definitely a case
> of SHPAI. Or "Should have played around it." I could have easily
> avoided the cockatrice lair until I had more intrinsics or a
> ridiculously high armor class (or an amulet of lifesaving!). There
> was NO reason I had to fight them right then other than being greedy
> for treasure.

Or that, yes.

Janis

Re: Tragic Tourist

<41a81a26-5c1c-4155-823b-3f8462879988n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=1721&group=rec.games.roguelike.nethack#1721

Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 09:49:47 -0800 (PST)
From: niod...@hotmail.com (Yosemite Sam)
 by: Yosemite Sam - Wed, 11 Jan 2023 17:49 UTC

On Wednesday, December 14, 2022 at 12:33:17 PM UTC-6, magicby...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Completely tragic tourist that was petless. Argh!
>
> Level 3 had an altar, and even petless, you can win just upon finding an altar. Especially since tourists start with significant food which allows a bit of camping.
>
> Converted the altar which was next to a shop which had MORE food, which I could buy because tourists have money. First sacrifce gift was mojo! Now I was in a game winning position because my altar could test armor and I just slowly upgraded this guy by digging our vaults. I also found a bones file of an Arc which had a touchstone and that got me more money for donating as well as an EARLY luckstone. The early luckstone was fantastic because it allowed my hammer to hit more often. We were on easy street until I found a nest of cockatrices on level 21.
>
> I was confident as I had mojo up to basic and had maxed my luck (and fixed it with the luckstone blessed).
>
> However I stepped on a trap that caused me to fall asleep and that was game, the cockatrices just got too many attacks and too many turns elapsed.

I found one of these on level 18. I took it slowly, having read your account. I breathed a sigh of relief when the
last cockatrice went down.