From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Does this work, Skycool?
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 06:17:38 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 11:17 UTC

Have you heard of this?
https://www.skycoolsystems.com/

It says on the home page "SkyCool’s Panels save 2x – 3x as much energy
as a solar panel generates given the same area."

https://www.skycoolsystems.com/faqs/
What is radiative sky cooling?
Radiative sky cooling occurs naturally because Earth’s atmosphere is
partially transparent to infrared thermal radiation (the light
wavelength associated with heat). Due to this effect, sky-facing
surfaces emit more energy as thermal radiation to the sky than they
receive from it. Radiative sky cooling occurs all the time, however is
typically not observed during the day. Through the use of advanced
materials engineering, we were the first to demonstrate materials which
can stay cooler than the ambient air temperature, even under direct
sunlight.

I could be wrong but it reminds me of an "investment opporttunity" a
friend was interested in. IIRC I found its webpage mediocre, and 8
years later, the webpage had not changed.

So can someone explain to me why this is a good idea?

Re: Does this work, Skycool?

<108d2d2b-bd40-475e-8dbc-73c6ba7a46e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16579&group=alt.home.repair#16579

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 03:50:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Does this work, Skycool?
From: deanh6...@gmail.com (Dean Hoffman)
 by: Dean Hoffman - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 11:50 UTC

On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 at 5:17:46 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:
> Have you heard of this?
> https://www.skycoolsystems.com/
>
> It says on the home page "SkyCool’s Panels save 2x – 3x as much energy
> as a solar panel generates given the same area."
>
> https://www.skycoolsystems.com/faqs/
> What is radiative sky cooling?
> Radiative sky cooling occurs naturally because Earth’s atmosphere is
> partially transparent to infrared thermal radiation (the light
> wavelength associated with heat). Due to this effect, sky-facing
> surfaces emit more energy as thermal radiation to the sky than they
> receive from it. Radiative sky cooling occurs all the time, however is
> typically not observed during the day. Through the use of advanced
> materials engineering, we were the first to demonstrate materials which
> can stay cooler than the ambient air temperature, even under direct
> sunlight.
>

> I could be wrong but it reminds me of an "investment opporttunity" a
> friend was interested in. IIRC I found its webpage mediocre, and 8
> years later, the webpage had not changed.
>
> So can someone explain to me why this is a good idea?

Real Clear Science has an article about it.
<https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2018/07/09/how_people_created_ice_in_the_desert_2000_years_ago.html>
I wonder how well it works in places with high humidity.

Re: Does this work, Skycool?

<j2ha4aFcpmnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16605&group=alt.home.repair#16605

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 05:46:32 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:46 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote

> Have you heard of this?

Nope.

> https://www.skycoolsystems.com/
> It says on the home page "SkyCool's Panels save 2x - 3x as
> much energy as a solar panel generates given the same area."
> https://www.skycoolsystems.com/faqs/
> What is radiative sky cooling?
> Radiative sky cooling occurs naturally because Earth's atmosphere is
> partially transparent to infrared thermal radiation (the light
> wavelength associated with heat). Due to this effect, sky-facing
> surfaces emit more energy as thermal radiation to the sky than they
> receive from it. Radiative sky cooling occurs all the time, however is
> typically not observed during the day. Through the use of advanced
> materials engineering, we were the first to demonstrate materials which
> can stay cooler than the ambient air temperature, even under direct
> sunlight.

> I could be wrong but it reminds me of an "investment opporttunity"
> a friend was interested in. IIRC I found its webpage mediocre, and
> 8 years later, the webpage had not changed.
> So can someone explain to me why this is a good idea?

If it works and there is real doubt that it does, it would help
in summer, reducing the heat coming thru the roof. But
that's easy to avoid with insulation and much cheaper.

Re: Does this work, Skycool?

<9ou6sg9ncrqlvt5v71ei8m85qj3tqehnkh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16607&group=alt.home.repair#16607

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 14:25:20 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 19:25 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 22 Dec 2021 03:50:01 -0800 (PST), Dean
Hoffman <deanh6929@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 at 5:17:46 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:
>> Have you heard of this?
>> https://www.skycoolsystems.com/
>>
>> It says on the home page "SkyCool’s Panels save 2x – 3x as much energy
>> as a solar panel generates given the same area."
>>
>> https://www.skycoolsystems.com/faqs/
>> What is radiative sky cooling?
>> Radiative sky cooling occurs naturally because Earth’s atmosphere is
>> partially transparent to infrared thermal radiation (the light
>> wavelength associated with heat). Due to this effect, sky-facing
>> surfaces emit more energy as thermal radiation to the sky than they
>> receive from it. Radiative sky cooling occurs all the time, however is
>> typically not observed during the day. Through the use of advanced
>> materials engineering, we were the first to demonstrate materials which
>> can stay cooler than the ambient air temperature, even under direct
>> sunlight.
>>

>> I could be wrong but it reminds me of an "investment opporttunity" a
>> friend was interested in. IIRC I found its webpage mediocre, and 8
>> years later, the webpage had not changed.
>>
>> So can someone explain to me why this is a good idea?
>
> Real Clear Science has an article about it.
><https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2018/07/09/how_people_created_ice_in_the_desert_2000_years_ago.html>

Good find. Certainly is on topic. OTOH, I could make up a story like
this and who here was in the desert 2000 years ago to say I'm wrong.

They could have even made it up and planted 6 months before they looked
for investors in Skycool.

I must be following the news too much. I'm getting suspicious.

> I wonder how well it works in places with high humidity.

Re: Does this work, Skycool?

<sq0p48$5ck$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16661&group=alt.home.repair#16661

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 19:06:48 -0800
 by: Bob F - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 03:06 UTC

On 12/22/2021 11:25 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 22 Dec 2021 03:50:01 -0800 (PST), Dean
> Hoffman <deanh6929@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, December 22, 2021 at 5:17:46 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:
>>> Have you heard of this?
>>> https://www.skycoolsystems.com/
>>>
>>> It says on the home page "SkyCool’s Panels save 2x – 3x as much energy
>>> as a solar panel generates given the same area."
>>>
>>> https://www.skycoolsystems.com/faqs/
>>> What is radiative sky cooling?
>>> Radiative sky cooling occurs naturally because Earth’s atmosphere is
>>> partially transparent to infrared thermal radiation (the light
>>> wavelength associated with heat). Due to this effect, sky-facing
>>> surfaces emit more energy as thermal radiation to the sky than they
>>> receive from it. Radiative sky cooling occurs all the time, however is
>>> typically not observed during the day. Through the use of advanced
>>> materials engineering, we were the first to demonstrate materials which
>>> can stay cooler than the ambient air temperature, even under direct
>>> sunlight.
>>>

>>> I could be wrong but it reminds me of an "investment opporttunity" a
>>> friend was interested in. IIRC I found its webpage mediocre, and 8
>>> years later, the webpage had not changed.
>>>
>>> So can someone explain to me why this is a good idea?
>>
>> Real Clear Science has an article about it.
>> <https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2018/07/09/how_people_created_ice_in_the_desert_2000_years_ago.html>
>
> Good find. Certainly is on topic. OTOH, I could make up a story like
> this and who here was in the desert 2000 years ago to say I'm wrong.
>
> They could have even made it up and planted 6 months before they looked
> for investors in Skycool.
>
> I must be following the news too much. I'm getting suspicious.
>
>> I wonder how well it works in places with high humidity.

And then there's the question of how much less this effect would be
today due to the man made greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere, which
absorb and re-radiate the heat back down.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Does this work, Skycool?