From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: James Abourezk, First Arab-American U.S. Senator, Dies at 92
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 05:29:38 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 05:29 UTC

[AP/WSJ]

James Abourezk, First Arab-American U.S. Senator, Dies at 92

South Dakota Democrat advocated for populist causes

James Abourezk, a South Dakota Democrat who grew up on the Rosebud Indian
Reservation, became the first Arab-American U.S. senator and was known for
his quick wit as he advocated for populist causes, died Friday. He was 92.

Mr. Abourezk died at his home in Sioux Falls on his birthday after
entering hospice care earlier last week, his son Charles Abourezk said.
While in hospice, James Abourezk was surrounded by his wife, Sanaa
Abourezk, and other family members.

Mr. Abourezk represented South Dakota for single terms in the U.S. House
and U.S. Senate during the 1970s, where he exemplified a brand of
Democratic politician known as Prairie Populist. He fought
passionately - and with humor - for those he felt were the downtrodden:
farmers, consumers and Native American people.
======
rest:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/james-abourezk-first-arab-american-u-s-senator-dies-at-92-68cbfd2f?st=hn6vsiu14xk7j4q&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

dannyb@panix.com

Re: James Abourezk, First Arab-American U.S. Senator, Dies at 92

<tthmq3$dh9i$3@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16578&group=alt.obituaries#16578

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 07:40:51 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 07:40 UTC

In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.2302270528010.13159@panix3.panix.com>,
danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
>[AP/WSJ]
>
>James Abourezk, First Arab-American U.S. Senator, Dies at 92
>
>South Dakota Democrat advocated for populist causes
>
>James Abourezk, a South Dakota Democrat who grew up on the Rosebud Indian
>Reservation, became the first Arab-American U.S. senator and was known for
>his quick wit as he advocated for populist causes, died Friday. He was 92.
>
>Mr. Abourezk died at his home in Sioux Falls on his birthday after
>entering hospice care earlier last week, his son Charles Abourezk said.
>While in hospice, James Abourezk was surrounded by his wife, Sanaa
>Abourezk, and other family members.
>
>Mr. Abourezk represented South Dakota for single terms in the U.S. House
>and U.S. Senate during the 1970s, where he exemplified a brand of
>Democratic politician known as Prairie Populist. He fought
>passionately - and with humor - for those he felt were the downtrodden:
>farmers, consumers and Native American people.

Interesting. Funny given the extent to which South Dakota has slid into
the political abyss since then.

Also, I long for more detail as to how someone would grow up on an Indian
reservation and yet be an "Arab" American. If you see what I mean...

(Particularly in a place like SD.)

--
"Every time Mitt opens his mouth, a swing state gets its wings."

(Should be on a bumper sticker)

interests / alt.obituaries / James Abourezk, First Arab-American U.S. Senator, Dies at 92