From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: Home Depot Exide 24F car battery warranty
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 12:41:05 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 17:41 UTC

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 02:28:12 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 18 Dec 2021 10:43:35 -0500, Ralph Mowery
><rmowery42@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>In article <spkul2$1hjpd$1@news.mixmin.net>, andrew@nospammingme.com
>>says...
>>>
>>> On the Home Depot web site is a 24F 750CCA Exide car battery.
>>> https://www.homedepot.com/p/Exide-SPRINTER-MAX-12-volts-Lead-Acid-6-Cell-24F-Group-Size-750-Cold-Cranking-Amps-BCI-Auto-Battery-SX24F/308488599
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exide
>>>
>>> I bought it today but Home Depot didn't have any explanation of how the "3
>>> years free warranty" works. There are Q&A's asking and the responses
>>> conflict. Worse, they're incomplete.
>>>

>>Bought a Die Hard at the local auto parts store a few months back. They
>>have a 3 year free replacement . If it goes bad they are suppose to put
>>in a new one for free for you. Not prorated like some used to be in the
>>past.
>>
>>Working my way through college I worked for Sears in the auto shop .
>>One night a man came in with a bad battery when I checked it. He was
>>all smiles for a while thinking he would get a new battery as he had the
>>paper work and had 2 months to go. Found out about the prorating.
>>Forgot the exect ammount he got off on a new battery,but it was less
>>than a dollar. That was around 1970.
>
>I remember those days. that's when i figured you were renting a
>batttery, not buying one. I didn't know they had changed, and my
>Autozone battery seems to be giving me trouble after only a year, but I
>haven't done a proper check.
>
>This is my favorite Sears story. My brother bought a new car with a
>2-year warranty, a 1965 model, and it gave him constant problems. The
>dealer says he replaced the battery, alternator and starter, or maybe it
>was regulator 2 times each. And still the car wouldn't start sometimes,
>inconveniencing my brother tremendoously.
>
>He lent me the car when he went to Viet Nam, and I concluded from some
>test that it needed a new battery. I took it to Sears which is really
>big in Chicago, and the mechanic said, Do you want our free 435-point
>multicheck, and I said, No, I just want a battery. And he said again,
>It's free. Not wanting to be a wet blanket or an ingrate I said Yes, and
>he found the problem in under 10 minutes that the dealer hadn't found in
>2 years! I was very impressed.
>
>(I think I did still need a battery, fwiw.)
>
>The problem was a dirty connection where the battery cable connects to
>the starter solenoid on a GM car. Just had to be cleaned. But it
>reappeared whenever I forgot and left the lights on. The first time I
>took it apart and cleaned it but after that I learned to just twist it
>on the solenoid bolt and the car was good again. I could even do it
>wearing decent clothes and only get my hand dirty.
>
>Do you konw why this was? Did they use the wrong material in the
>battery cable end? or the solenoid stud? Is this a GM problem?

Missing star washer?

Re: Home Depot Exide 24F car battery warranty

<occ1sgdmfqkg3nqkjbd9ab99nbcqh9b4or@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16451&group=alt.home.repair#16451

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:41:22 -0500
 by: micky - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 16:41 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 19 Dec 2021 12:41:05 -0500,
gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 02:28:12 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 18 Dec 2021 10:43:35 -0500, Ralph Mowery
>><rmowery42@charter.net> wrote:
>>
>>>In article <spkul2$1hjpd$1@news.mixmin.net>, andrew@nospammingme.com
>>>says...

>>>Bought a Die Hard at the local auto parts store a few months back. They
>>>have a 3 year free replacement . If it goes bad they are suppose to put
>>>in a new one for free for you. Not prorated like some used to be in the
>>>past.
>>>
>>>Working my way through college I worked for Sears in the auto shop .
>>>One night a man came in with a bad battery when I checked it. He was
>>>all smiles for a while thinking he would get a new battery as he had the
>>>paper work and had 2 months to go. Found out about the prorating.
>>>Forgot the exect ammount he got off on a new battery,but it was less
>>>than a dollar. That was around 1970.
>>
>>I remember those days. that's when i figured you were renting a
>>batttery, not buying one. I didn't know they had changed, and my
>>Autozone battery seems to be giving me trouble after only a year, but I
>>haven't done a proper check.
>>
>>This is my favorite Sears story. My brother bought a new car with a
>>2-year warranty, a 1965 model, and it gave him constant problems. The
>>dealer says he replaced the battery, alternator and starter, or maybe it
>>was regulator 2 times each. And still the car wouldn't start sometimes,
>>inconveniencing my brother tremendoously.
>>
>>He lent me the car when he went to Viet Nam, and I concluded from some
>>test that it needed a new battery. I took it to Sears which is really
>>big in Chicago, and the mechanic said, Do you want our free 435-point
>>multicheck, and I said, No, I just want a battery. And he said again,
>>It's free. Not wanting to be a wet blanket or an ingrate I said Yes, and
>>he found the problem in under 10 minutes that the dealer hadn't found in
>>2 years! I was very impressed.
>>
>>(I think I did still need a battery, fwiw.)
>>
>>The problem was a dirty connection where the battery cable connects to
>>the starter solenoid on a GM car. Just had to be cleaned. But it
>>reappeared whenever I forgot and left the lights on. The first time I
>>took it apart and cleaned it but after that I learned to just twist it
>>on the solenoid bolt and the car was good again. I could even do it
>>wearing decent clothes and only get my hand dirty.
>>
>>Do you konw why this was? Did they use the wrong material in the
>>battery cable end? or the solenoid stud? Is this a GM problem?
>>

>Missing star washer?

No, it was tight enough. It just didn't conduct current to the starter.

It was tight every time I rotated it. Had to push hard.

And I don't think a washer is used between the cable and the solenoid
anyhow. he didn't add one.

Re: Home Depot Exide 24F car battery warranty

<spqc31$oth$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16452&group=alt.home.repair#16452

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 08:47:29 -0800
 by: Bob F - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 16:47 UTC

On 12/20/2021 8:41 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 19 Dec 2021 12:41:05 -0500,
> gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 02:28:12 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I remember those days. that's when i figured you were renting a
>>> batttery, not buying one. I didn't know they had changed, and my
>>> Autozone battery seems to be giving me trouble after only a year, but I
>>> haven't done a proper check.
>>>
>>> This is my favorite Sears story. My brother bought a new car with a
>>> 2-year warranty, a 1965 model, and it gave him constant problems. The
>>> dealer says he replaced the battery, alternator and starter, or maybe it
>>> was regulator 2 times each. And still the car wouldn't start sometimes,
>>> inconveniencing my brother tremendoously.
>>>
>>> He lent me the car when he went to Viet Nam, and I concluded from some
>>> test that it needed a new battery. I took it to Sears which is really
>>> big in Chicago, and the mechanic said, Do you want our free 435-point
>>> multicheck, and I said, No, I just want a battery. And he said again,
>>> It's free. Not wanting to be a wet blanket or an ingrate I said Yes, and
>>> he found the problem in under 10 minutes that the dealer hadn't found in
>>> 2 years! I was very impressed.
>>>
>>> (I think I did still need a battery, fwiw.)
>>>
>>> The problem was a dirty connection where the battery cable connects to
>>> the starter solenoid on a GM car. Just had to be cleaned. But it
>>> reappeared whenever I forgot and left the lights on. The first time I
>>> took it apart and cleaned it but after that I learned to just twist it
>>> on the solenoid bolt and the car was good again. I could even do it
>>> wearing decent clothes and only get my hand dirty.
>>>
>>> Do you konw why this was? Did they use the wrong material in the
>>> battery cable end? or the solenoid stud? Is this a GM problem?
>>>

>> Missing star washer?
>
> No, it was tight enough. It just didn't conduct current to the starter.
>
> It was tight every time I rotated it. Had to push hard.
>
> And I don't think a washer is used between the cable and the solenoid
> anyhow. he didn't add one.

If you could rotate it without a wrench, it was not tight enough.

Re: Home Depot Exide 24F car battery warranty

<bbv1sg5e35agt2jppc1loljfv7uq9ctinp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16465&group=alt.home.repair#16465

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 17:07:10 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:07 UTC

On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:41:22 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 19 Dec 2021 12:41:05 -0500,
>gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 02:28:12 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>>wrote:

>>>I remember those days. that's when i figured you were renting a
>>>batttery, not buying one. I didn't know they had changed, and my
>>>Autozone battery seems to be giving me trouble after only a year, but I
>>>haven't done a proper check.
>>>
>>>This is my favorite Sears story. My brother bought a new car with a
>>>2-year warranty, a 1965 model, and it gave him constant problems. The
>>>dealer says he replaced the battery, alternator and starter, or maybe it
>>>was regulator 2 times each. And still the car wouldn't start sometimes,
>>>inconveniencing my brother tremendoously.
>>>
>>>He lent me the car when he went to Viet Nam, and I concluded from some
>>>test that it needed a new battery. I took it to Sears which is really
>>>big in Chicago, and the mechanic said, Do you want our free 435-point
>>>multicheck, and I said, No, I just want a battery. And he said again,
>>>It's free. Not wanting to be a wet blanket or an ingrate I said Yes, and
>>>he found the problem in under 10 minutes that the dealer hadn't found in
>>>2 years! I was very impressed.
>>>
>>>(I think I did still need a battery, fwiw.)
>>>
>>>The problem was a dirty connection where the battery cable connects to
>>>the starter solenoid on a GM car. Just had to be cleaned. But it
>>>reappeared whenever I forgot and left the lights on. The first time I
>>>took it apart and cleaned it but after that I learned to just twist it
>>>on the solenoid bolt and the car was good again. I could even do it
>>>wearing decent clothes and only get my hand dirty.
>>>
>>>Do you konw why this was? Did they use the wrong material in the
>>>battery cable end? or the solenoid stud? Is this a GM problem?
>>>

>>Missing star washer?
>
>No, it was tight enough. It just didn't conduct current to the starter.
>
>It was tight every time I rotated it. Had to push hard.
>
>And I don't think a washer is used between the cable and the solenoid
>anyhow. he didn't add one.
Generally an "inner toothed" star washer is used. Sometimes a
"captive" lockwasher is built into the nut.. No washer between the
cable and the solenoid itself. I lost count of how many starter cable
connections I had to clean over the years. Remove the cable, sand both
sides of the cable connector, apply a liberal coat of battery terminal
grease and make sure there is a toothed washer (or even a split lock
washer, although less effective) and torque firmly - but not TOO tight
because it is only a copper bolt and often also a copper or brass nut.
Steel nuts rust.

Re: Home Depot Exide 24F car battery warranty

<cmr2sght908i0v2tdv3c7e7h5q8assrvt7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16500&group=alt.home.repair#16500

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 01:07:12 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 06:07 UTC

On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 17:07:10 -0500, Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca>
wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:41:22 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 19 Dec 2021 12:41:05 -0500,
>>gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

>>>Missing star washer?
>>
>>No, it was tight enough. It just didn't conduct current to the starter.
>>
>>It was tight every time I rotated it. Had to push hard.
>>
>>And I don't think a washer is used between the cable and the solenoid
>>anyhow. he didn't add one.
> Generally an "inner toothed" star washer is used. Sometimes a
>"captive" lockwasher is built into the nut.. No washer between the
>cable and the solenoid itself. I lost count of how many starter cable
>connections I had to clean over the years. Remove the cable, sand both
>sides of the cable connector, apply a liberal coat of battery terminal
>grease and make sure there is a toothed washer (or even a split lock
>washer, although less effective) and torque firmly - but not TOO tight
>because it is only a copper bolt and often also a copper or brass nut.
>Steel nuts rust.

I use stainless on my boat and so does Yamaha and Mercury

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: Home Depot Exide 24F car battery warranty