Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 16:24:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: known
From: aut...@infoseek.jp (tonbei)
 by: tonbei - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 00:24 UTC

“And we got a known diabetic with a history of overdose,” Jack recites our guest list of the morning. “Was found outside in the yard. Question is drugs, alcohol or exposure.” “Or a combination of the above.” ("The Last Precinct " by Patricia Cornwell, p105)

context (or situation): 1) Autopsy suite of Richmond's Medical Examiner's Office
2) Examiners are inspecting bodies delivered that morning.
3) Jack is an assistant medical examiner, and explaning each case to the chief (or main characer of the first narrater).

question: about "known" in "a known diabetic with a history of overdose".
Does it mean: It's generally known that those with diabetes could also have been overdoes sufferers." ?

Re: known

<iahnphtbvcpka51hqdjd296nvii2fm1o40@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=162732&group=alt.usage.english#162732

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: known
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:12:28 -0500
 by: Tony Cooper - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 01:12 UTC

On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 16:24:43 -0800 (PST), tonbei <autosu@infoseek.jp>
wrote:

>“And we got a known diabetic with a history of overdose,” Jack recites our guest list of the morning. “Was found outside in the yard. Question is drugs, alcohol or exposure.” “Or a combination of the above.” ("The Last Precinct " by Patricia Cornwell, p105)
>
>context (or situation): 1) Autopsy suite of Richmond's Medical Examiner's Office
>2) Examiners are inspecting bodies delivered that morning.
>3) Jack is an assistant medical examiner, and explaning each case to the chief (or main characer of the first narrater).
>
>question: about "known" in "a known diabetic with a history of overdose".
>Does it mean: It's generally known that those with diabetes could also have been overdoes sufferers." ?

No, it means that this individual - the person found in the yard - was
a diabetic. The individual also had a history of overdosing.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

Re: known

<hlabadie-1D1BF8.02010616122022@aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=162747&group=alt.usage.english#162747

From: hlaba...@nospam.com (Horace LaBadie)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 02:01:06 -0500
 by: Horace LaBadie - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 07:01 UTC

In article <774cbc17-e6e1-4c7c-b4bc-fe07d047331fn@googlegroups.com>,
tonbei <autosu@infoseek.jp> wrote:

> “And we got a known diabetic with a history of overdose,” Jack recites our
> guest list of the morning. “Was found outside in the yard. Question is drugs,
> alcohol or exposure.” “Or a combination of the above.” ("The Last Precinct "
> by Patricia Cornwell, p105)
>
> context (or situation): 1) Autopsy suite of Richmond's Medical Examiner's
> Office
> 2) Examiners are inspecting bodies delivered that morning.
> 3) Jack is an assistant medical examiner, and explaning each case to the
> chief (or main characer of the first narrater).
>
> question: about "known" in "a known diabetic with a history of overdose".
> Does it mean: It's generally known that those with diabetes could also have
> been overdoes sufferers." ?

No, that one person is known to have diabetes.

Re: known

<8jgpphlo4c4tpqtq8oqidq7d97vlee2vjk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=162833&group=alt.usage.english#162833

From: rich.ulr...@comcast.net (Rich Ulrich)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:15:25 -0500
 by: Rich Ulrich - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:15 UTC

On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:12:28 -0500, Tony Cooper
<tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 16:24:43 -0800 (PST), tonbei <autosu@infoseek.jp>
>wrote:
>
>>“And we got a known diabetic with a history of overdose,” Jack recites our guest list of the morning. “Was found outside in the yard. Question is drugs, alcohol or exposure.” “Or a combination of the above.” ("The Last Precinct " by Patricia Cornwell, p105)
>>
>>context (or situation): 1) Autopsy suite of Richmond's Medical Examiner's Office
>>2) Examiners are inspecting bodies delivered that morning.
>>3) Jack is an assistant medical examiner, and explaning each case to the chief (or main characer of the first narrater).
>>
>>question: about "known" in "a known diabetic with a history of overdose".
>>Does it mean: It's generally known that those with diabetes could also have been overdoes sufferers." ?
>
>No, it means that this individual - the person found in the yard - was
>a diabetic. The individual also had a history of overdosing.

The relevance of diabetes, I thought, should be that a person
can pass out and go into a "diabetic coma." Or die.

A person also can pass out or die from drugs and/or alcohol.
And a passed-out person can die from exposure.

But "Question is ..." did not list diabetes, as it might have done.
Perhaps he does think of the diabetes as a contributor to the
alcohol problem, and not as the likely cause by itself.

--
Rich Ulrich

Re: known

<7chpphl0579j827cp71ktgc3tpviebh22v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=162841&group=alt.usage.english#162841

From: tonycoop...@gmail.com (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:55:06 -0500
 by: Tony Cooper - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 19:55 UTC

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 14:15:25 -0500, Rich Ulrich
<rich.ulrich@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:12:28 -0500, Tony Cooper
><tonycooper214@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 16:24:43 -0800 (PST), tonbei <autosu@infoseek.jp>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>“And we got a known diabetic with a history of overdose,” Jack recites our guest list of the morning. “Was found outside in the yard. Question is drugs, alcohol or exposure.” “Or a combination of the above.” ("The Last Precinct " by Patricia Cornwell, p105)
>>>
>>>context (or situation): 1) Autopsy suite of Richmond's Medical Examiner's Office
>>>2) Examiners are inspecting bodies delivered that morning.
>>>3) Jack is an assistant medical examiner, and explaning each case to the chief (or main characer of the first narrater).
>>>
>>>question: about "known" in "a known diabetic with a history of overdose".
>>>Does it mean: It's generally known that those with diabetes could also have been overdoes sufferers." ?
>>
>>No, it means that this individual - the person found in the yard - was
>>a diabetic. The individual also had a history of overdosing.
>
>The relevance of diabetes, I thought, should be that a person
>can pass out and go into a "diabetic coma." Or die.
>
>A person also can pass out or die from drugs and/or alcohol.
>And a passed-out person can die from exposure.
>
>But "Question is ..." did not list diabetes, as it might have done.
>Perhaps he does think of the diabetes as a contributor to the
>alcohol problem, and not as the likely cause by itself.

All true, but this is fiction written by Patricia Cornwell.

It's best, with Cornwell, to just take the sentence at face value if
the sentence is understandable.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando Florida

I read and post to this group as a form of entertainment.

Re: known

<548faa7d-5458-4da0-bb54-e1ccaf61f7efn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=162868&group=alt.usage.english#162868

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 13:41:28 -0800 (PST)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Fri, 16 Dec 2022 21:41 UTC

On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 2:15:33 PM UTC-5, Rich Ulrich wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 20:12:28 -0500, Tony Cooper
> <tonyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 16:24:43 -0800 (PST), tonbei <aut...@infoseek.jp>
> >wrote:

> >>“And we got a known diabetic with a history of overdose,” Jack recites our guest list of the morning. “Was found outside in the yard. Question is drugs, alcohol or exposure.” “Or a combination of the above.” ("The Last Precinct " by Patricia Cornwell, p105)
> >>
> >>context (or situation): 1) Autopsy suite of Richmond's Medical Examiner's Office
> >>2) Examiners are inspecting bodies delivered that morning.
> >>3) Jack is an assistant medical examiner, and explaning each case to the chief (or main characer of the first narrater).
> >>
> >>question: about "known" in "a known diabetic with a history of overdose".
> >>Does it mean: It's generally known that those with diabetes could also have been overdoes sufferers." ?
>
> The relevance of diabetes, I thought, should be that a person
> can pass out and go into a "diabetic coma." Or die.
>
> A person also can pass out or die from drugs and/or alcohol.
> And a passed-out person can die from exposure.
>
> But "Question is ..." did not list diabetes, as it might have done.
> Perhaps he does think of the diabetes as a contributor to the
> alcohol problem, and not as the likely cause by itself.

Or vice versa, because alcohol quickly metabolizes to glucose.

The "sugar-free" candies sweetened with "sugar alcohols" are
just as bad on the glucometer as sugar -- and also bring on
diarrhea.

(Stevia is a sugar, too.)

interests / alt.usage.english / known