Honk if you love peace and quiet.

interests / alt.usage.english / boiling chickpeas question

SubjectAuthor
* boiling chickpeas questionUserme
+* Re: boiling chickpeas questionJerry Friedman
|+- Re: boiling chickpeas questionUserme
|+* Re: boiling chickpeas questionMack A. Damia
||+- Re: boiling chickpeas questionPeter T. Daniels
||`- Re: boiling chickpeas questionJerry Friedman
|`* Re: boiling chickpeas questionPeter Moylan
| `- Re: boiling chickpeas questionbruce bowser
`* Re: boiling chickpeas questionoccam
 `* Re: boiling chickpeas questionSam Plusnet
  +- Re: boiling chickpeas questionBertel Lund Hansen
  `* Re: boiling chickpeas questionJerry Friedman
   `- Re: boiling chickpeas questionPeter T. Daniels

1
boiling chickpeas question

<a5558678-cc6b-40e0-8a17-9e5558e906b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161258&group=alt.usage.english#161258

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 19:31:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: boiling chickpeas question
From: lezaw...@gmail.com (Userme)
 by: Userme - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 03:31 UTC

Hi
I usually soak dry chickpeas in a water for 1-2 days and then after that i boil it with water for 1hr. While the water get hoter and hoter, at the top, a white thing appears on the top (like when you mix water with tide detergent for example).
What that white things is called? I want to ask another group if I should remove that white thing while the water is boiling or not but I do not know what is called? Any idea please? Thank you very much.

Re: boiling chickpeas question

<230bb8fc-cf6e-4897-8a30-5e561d8e2fefn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161259&group=alt.usage.english#161259

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 19:39:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: boiling chickpeas question
From: jerry_fr...@yahoo.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 03:39 UTC

On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 8:31:34 PM UTC-7, Userme wrote:
> Hi
> I usually soak dry chickpeas in a water for 1-2 days and then after that i boil it with water for 1hr. While the water get hoter and hoter, at the top, a white thing appears on the top (like when you mix water with tide detergent for example).
> What that white things is called? I want to ask another group if I should remove that white thing while the water is boiling or not but I do not know what is called? Any idea please? Thank you very much.

It's called foam. "Remove" is fine, but you could also say "Should
I skim off the foam?" There are other possibilities.

Your question should read more like, "I usually soak dry chickpeas in
water for 1-2 days and then I boil them in water for 1 hour. While the
water gets hotter, white stuff appears at the top (as when you mix
water with detergent, for example). What is that white stuff called?
I want to ask in another group whether I should remove that white
stuff while the water is boiling, but I do not know what it's called.
Can you tell me, please? Thank you very much."

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: boiling chickpeas question

<7244abc9-5797-4d3b-9d03-38db978f61c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161260&group=alt.usage.english#161260

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2022 19:50:05 -0800 (PST)
From: lezaw...@gmail.com (Userme)
 by: Userme - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 03:50 UTC

On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 10:39:19 PM UTC-5, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 8:31:34 PM UTC-7, Userme wrote:
> > Hi
> > I usually soak dry chickpeas in a water for 1-2 days and then after that i boil it with water for 1hr. While the water get hoter and hoter, at the top, a white thing appears on the top (like when you mix water with tide detergent for example).
> > What that white things is called? I want to ask another group if I should remove that white thing while the water is boiling or not but I do not know what is called? Any idea please? Thank you very much.
> It's called foam. "Remove" is fine, but you could also say "Should
> I skim off the foam?" There are other possibilities.
>
> Your question should read more like, "I usually soak dry chickpeas in
> water for 1-2 days and then I boil them in water for 1 hour. While the
> water gets hotter, white stuff appears at the top (as when you mix
> water with detergent, for example). What is that white stuff called?
> I want to ask in another group whether I should remove that white
> stuff while the water is boiling, but I do not know what it's called.
> Can you tell me, please? Thank you very much."
>
> --
> Jerry Friedman

Thank you very much for the help. I really enjoyed how you re-write my question
and I learnt so much from that. Thanks again.

Re: boiling chickpeas question

<p07ooh94rmeehoi1nfcbc009b17k7h4gat@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161261&group=alt.usage.english#161261

From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 20:04:36 -0800
 by: Mack A. Damia - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 04:04 UTC

On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 19:39:15 -0800 (PST), Jerry Friedman
<jerry_friedman@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 8:31:34 PM UTC-7, Userme wrote:
>> Hi
>> I usually soak dry chickpeas in a water for 1-2 days and then after that i boil it with water for 1hr. While the water get hoter and hoter, at the top, a white thing appears on the top (like when you mix water with tide detergent for example).
>> What that white things is called? I want to ask another group if I should remove that white thing while the water is boiling or not but I do not know what is called? Any idea please? Thank you very much.
>
>It's called foam. "Remove" is fine, but you could also say "Should
>I skim off the foam?" There are other possibilities.

AKA "Scum". The foam itself is usually called Aquafaba, and it can be
used in many vegan recipes because it shares a lot of cooking
properties with egg whites.

https://vegfaqs.com/why-do-chickpeas-foam/

>Your question should read more like, "I usually soak dry chickpeas in
>water for 1-2 days and then I boil them in water for 1 hour. While the
>water gets hotter, white stuff appears at the top (as when you mix
>water with detergent, for example). What is that white stuff called?
>I want to ask in another group whether I should remove that white
>stuff while the water is boiling, but I do not know what it's called.
>Can you tell me, please? Thank you very much."

Re: boiling chickpeas question

<tmh87b$3inm3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161262&group=alt.usage.english#161262

From: pet...@pmoylan.org.invalid (Peter Moylan)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 15:38:00 +1100
 by: Peter Moylan - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 04:38 UTC

On 04/12/22 14:39, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 8:31:34 PM UTC-7, Userme wrote:

>> Hi I usually soak dry chickpeas in a water for 1-2 days and then
>> after that i boil it with water for 1hr. While the water get hoter
>> and hoter, at the top, a white thing appears on the top (like when
>> you mix water with tide detergent for example). What that white
>> things is called? I want to ask another group if I should remove
>> that white thing while the water is boiling or not but I do not
>> know what is called? Any idea please? Thank you very much.
>
> It's called foam. "Remove" is fine, but you could also say "Should I
> skim off the foam?" There are other possibilities.

Some people would cal it froth; but the difference between froth and
foam are very small, so it doesn't matter which word you choose.

Re: boiling chickpeas question

<jv3o9eFrbsiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161316&group=alt.usage.english#161316

From: occ...@nowhere.nix (occam)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 15:14:06 +0100
 by: occam - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 14:14 UTC

On 04/12/2022 04:31, Userme wrote:
> Hi
> I usually soak dry chickpeas in a water for 1-2 days and then after that i boil it with water for 1hr. While the water get hoter and hoter, at the top, a white thing appears on the top (like when you mix water with tide detergent for example).
> What that white things is called? I want to ask another group if I should remove that white thing while the water is boiling or not but I do not know what is called? Any idea please? Thank you very much.

"froth" in my vocabulary. And yes, it should be removed, as much as
possible.

Re: boiling chickpeas question

<938dc201-b1c5-4a0e-816d-b70cdf3125b1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161348&group=alt.usage.english#161348

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 09:28:08 -0800 (PST)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 17:28 UTC

On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 11:04:41 PM UTC-5, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 19:39:15 -0800 (PST), Jerry Friedman
> <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 8:31:34 PM UTC-7, Userme wrote:
> >> Hi
> >> I usually soak dry chickpeas in a water for 1-2 days and then after that i boil it with water for 1hr. While the water get hoter and hoter, at the top, a white thing appears on the top (like when you mix water with tide detergent for example).
> >> What that white things is called? I want to ask another group if I should remove that white thing while the water is boiling or not but I do not know what is called? Any idea please? Thank you very much.
> >
> >It's called foam. "Remove" is fine, but you could also say "Should
> >I skim off the foam?" There are other possibilities.
>
> AKA "Scum". The foam itself is usually called Aquafaba, and it can be
> used in many vegan recipes because it shares a lot of cooking
> properties with egg whites.

"Scum" is undesirable. If the foam you skim off has uses as you
describe, then you don't want to use a negative word.

The utensil designed for the process is called a "skimmer," in case
Userme wants to get one at Williams-Sonoma.

> https://vegfaqs.com/why-do-chickpeas-foam/
>
> >Your question should read more like, "I usually soak dry chickpeas in
> >water for 1-2 days and then I boil them in water for 1 hour. While the
> >water gets hotter, white stuff appears at the top (as when you mix
> >water with detergent, for example). What is that white stuff called?
> >I want to ask in another group whether I should remove that white
> >stuff while the water is boiling, but I do not know what it's called.
> >Can you tell me, please? Thank you very much."

Re: boiling chickpeas question

<M77jL.11694$97z4.4723@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161392&group=alt.usage.english#161392

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 20:09:16 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 20:09 UTC

On 04-Dec-22 14:14, occam wrote:
> On 04/12/2022 04:31, Userme wrote:
>> Hi
>> I usually soak dry chickpeas in a water for 1-2 days and then after that i boil it with water for 1hr. While the water get hoter and hoter, at the top, a white thing appears on the top (like when you mix water with tide detergent for example).
>> What that white things is called? I want to ask another group if I should remove that white thing while the water is boiling or not but I do not know what is called? Any idea please? Thank you very much.
>
> "froth" in my vocabulary. And yes, it should be removed, as much as
> possible.

You could call it "scum", but that sounds less than appetising when
talking about foodstuffs.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: boiling chickpeas question

<tmj2ia$3oi8v$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161407&group=alt.usage.english#161407

From: gadekr...@lundhansen.dk (Bertel Lund Hansen)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 22:13:46 +0100
 by: Bertel Lund Hansen - Sun, 4 Dec 2022 21:13 UTC

Den 04.12.2022 kl. 21.09 skrev Sam Plusnet:

> You could call it "scum", but that sounds less than appetising when
> talking about foodstuffs.

In Danish we call it "skum" (foam), but that is neutral.

--
Bertel

Re: boiling chickpeas question

<0b8f592a-4f8a-4f93-b831-addf135897b6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161442&group=alt.usage.english#161442

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 17:42:27 -0800 (PST)
From: jerry_fr...@yahoo.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 01:42 UTC

On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 1:09:22 PM UTC-7, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 04-Dec-22 14:14, occam wrote:
> > On 04/12/2022 04:31, Userme wrote:
> >> Hi
> >> I usually soak dry chickpeas in a water for 1-2 days and then after that i boil it with water for 1hr. While the water get hoter and hoter, at the top, a white thing appears on the top (like when you mix water with tide detergent for example).
> >> What that white things is called? I want to ask another group if I should remove that white thing while the water is boiling or not but I do not know what is called? Any idea please? Thank you very much.
> >
> > "froth" in my vocabulary. And yes, it should be removed, as much as
> > possible.

> You could call it "scum", but that sounds less than appetising when
> talking about foodstuffs.

Although some cookbooks tell you to skim off the scum when making
stock.

Etymonline says "skim" is from Old French /escumer/, to remove scum,
and that "skim" and "scum" are related.

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: boiling chickpeas question

<937b87cb-dcb6-4326-baa5-65c47dff6d50n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161500&group=alt.usage.english#161500

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 06:29:31 -0800 (PST)
From: gramma...@verizon.net (Peter T. Daniels)
 by: Peter T. Daniels - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 14:29 UTC

On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 8:42:29 PM UTC-5, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 1:09:22 PM UTC-7, Sam Plusnet wrote:

> > > "froth" in my vocabulary. And yes, it should be removed, as much as
> > > possible.
> > You could call it "scum", but that sounds less than appetising when
> > talking about foodstuffs.
>
> Although some cookbooks tell you to skim off the scum when making
> stock.

But, unlike what Damia says about chickpea foam, you don't save
the scum skimmed off stock to use somewhere else.

> Etymonline says "skim" is from Old French /escumer/, to remove scum,
> and that "skim" and "scum" are related.

Ain't Indo-European wonderful? swim swam swum -- sheds a whole
new light on scam, no?

Re: boiling chickpeas question

<9f19c495-2fbf-4e20-9bbf-b57ca94b331cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161504&group=alt.usage.english#161504

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 06:40:48 -0800 (PST)
From: jerry_fr...@yahoo.com (Jerry Friedman)
 by: Jerry Friedman - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 14:40 UTC

On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 9:04:41 PM UTC-7, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2022 19:39:15 -0800 (PST), Jerry Friedman
> <jerry_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 8:31:34 PM UTC-7, Userme wrote:
> >> Hi
> >> I usually soak dry chickpeas in a water for 1-2 days and then after that i boil it with water for 1hr. While the water get hoter and hoter, at the top, a white thing appears on the top (like when you mix water with tide detergent for example).
> >> What that white things is called? I want to ask another group if I should remove that white thing while the water is boiling or not but I do not know what is called? Any idea please? Thank you very much.
> >
> >It's called foam. "Remove" is fine, but you could also say "Should
> >I skim off the foam?" There are other possibilities.

> AKA "Scum". The foam itself is usually called Aquafaba, and it can be
> used in many vegan recipes because it shares a lot of cooking
> properties with egg whites.
>
> https://vegfaqs.com/why-do-chickpeas-foam/

I'll just mention that aquafaba is more often used to mean the liquid
from cooking beans and such, especially the liquid from cans of
chickpeas, which is used as a substitute for egg whites. I wonder
whether the skimmed foam foams better than the liquid from the
can.

--
Jerry Friedman

Re: boiling chickpeas question

<f1764dee-716f-4b77-958d-0930652b5cf8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=161548&group=alt.usage.english#161548

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 12:23:13 -0800 (PST)
From: bruce2bo...@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 20:23 UTC

On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 11:38:08 PM UTC-5, Peter Moylan wrote:
> On 04/12/22 14:39, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> > On Saturday, December 3, 2022 at 8:31:34 PM UTC-7, Userme wrote:
>
> >> Hi I usually soak dry chickpeas in a water for 1-2 days and then
> >> after that i boil it with water for 1hr. While the water get hoter
> >> and hoter, at the top, a white thing appears on the top (like when
> >> you mix water with tide detergent for example). What that white
> >> things is called? I want to ask another group if I should remove
> >> that white thing while the water is boiling or not but I do not
> >> know what is called? Any idea please? Thank you very much.
> >
> > It's called foam. "Remove" is fine, but you could also say "Should I
> > skim off the foam?" There are other possibilities.
>
> Some people would cal it froth; but the difference between froth and
> foam are very small, so it doesn't matter which word you choose.

More importantly, mentioning rec.food.cooking would be appreciated.

interests / alt.usage.english / boiling chickpeas question