From: drsteerf...@yahoo.com (Mack A. Damia)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Good Joke
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 10:17:18 -0800
 by: Mack A. Damia - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 18:17 UTC

Joel Osteen always tells a joke at the beginning of his program, and I
just happened to catch this one after watching a news program on the
same channel.

A man walking along a California beach is deep in prayer. All of a
sudden, he said out loud, "Lord, Grant me one wish."

The sunny Californian sky clouded above his head and in a booming
voice, the Lord said, "Because you have tried to be faithful to me in
all ways, I will grant you one wish"

The man said, "Build a bridge to Hawaii so I can drive over anytime I
want."

The Lord replied, "Your request is very materialistic, think if the
enormous challenges for that kind of undertaking. The supports will
have to reach down to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. Just think
about the amount of concrete and steel that would have to be used! I
can do it, but it is hard for me to justify your worldly things. Take
a little more time and think of another wish, a wish you think would
honour and glorify me."

The man thought about it for a long time, when finally he said, "Lord,
I wish that I could understand women. I want to know how they feel
inside, what they are they thinking when they give the silent
treatment, why they cry, what they mean when they say 'nothing' and
how can I make them truly happy.

The Lord replied, "Do you want two lanes or four lanes on that
bridge?"

Re: Good Joke

<tle3q2$3jcei$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=159029&group=alt.usage.english#159029

From: lar...@invalid.ca (lar3ryca)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Good Joke
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 14:48:01 -0600
 by: lar3ryca - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 20:48 UTC

On 2022-11-20 12:17, Mack A. Damia wrote:

> Joel Osteen always tells a joke at the beginning of his program, and I
> just happened to catch this one after watching a news program on the
> same channel.
>

> A man walking along a California beach is deep in prayer. All of a
> sudden, he said out loud, "Lord, Grant me one wish."
>
> The sunny Californian sky clouded above his head and in a booming
> voice, the Lord said, "Because you have tried to be faithful to me in
> all ways, I will grant you one wish"
>
> The man said, "Build a bridge to Hawaii so I can drive over anytime I
> want."
>
> The Lord replied, "Your request is very materialistic, think if the
> enormous challenges for that kind of undertaking. The supports will
> have to reach down to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. Just think
> about the amount of concrete and steel that would have to be used! I
> can do it, but it is hard for me to justify your worldly things. Take
> a little more time and think of another wish, a wish you think would
> honour and glorify me."
>
> The man thought about it for a long time, when finally he said, "Lord,
> I wish that I could understand women. I want to know how they feel
> inside, what they are they thinking when they give the silent
> treatment, why they cry, what they mean when they say 'nothing' and
> how can I make them truly happy.
>
> The Lord replied, "Do you want two lanes or four lanes on that
> bridge?"

Thanks! I can feel better telling that version than the one about Prince
Charles, a dead Corgi, Camilla, and Diana.

--
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
safer to pick on rich women than biker gangs.

Re: Good Joke

<30528f4e-de45-4e83-9b76-2f5c4e5af465n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=159052&group=alt.usage.english#159052

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 15:54:23 -0800 (PST)
From: bosoden...@gmail.com (bozo de niro)
 by: bozo de niro - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 23:54 UTC

On Sunday, November 20, 2022 at 12:48:06 PM UTC-8, lar3ryca wrote:
> On 2022-11-20 12:17, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> >
> > Joel Osteen always tells a joke at the beginning of his program, and I
> > just happened to catch this one after watching a news program on the
> > same channel.
> >

> > A man walking along a California beach is deep in prayer. All of a
> > sudden, he said out loud, "Lord, Grant me one wish."
> >
> > The sunny Californian sky clouded above his head and in a booming
> > voice, the Lord said, "Because you have tried to be faithful to me in
> > all ways, I will grant you one wish"
> >
> > The man said, "Build a bridge to Hawaii so I can drive over anytime I
> > want."
> >
> > The Lord replied, "Your request is very materialistic, think if the
> > enormous challenges for that kind of undertaking. The supports will
> > have to reach down to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. Just think
> > about the amount of concrete and steel that would have to be used! I
> > can do it, but it is hard for me to justify your worldly things. Take
> > a little more time and think of another wish, a wish you think would
> > honour and glorify me."
> >
> > The man thought about it for a long time, when finally he said, "Lord,
> > I wish that I could understand women. I want to know how they feel
> > inside, what they are they thinking when they give the silent
> > treatment, why they cry, what they mean when they say 'nothing' and
> > how can I make them truly happy.
> >
> > The Lord replied, "Do you want two lanes or four lanes on that
> > bridge?"
> Thanks! I can feel better telling that version than the one about Prince
> Charles, a dead Corgi, Camilla, and Diana.
>
> --
> People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's
> safer to pick on rich women than biker gangs.

Only thing worse than the naked disembodied fragment of a punch line is a setup that begins with the one about.

interests / alt.usage.english / Good Joke