From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Subject: plotting the Weierstrass elliptic function in Desmos 3D
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 02:30:31 +0200
 by: sobriquet - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 00:30 UTC

Hi!

Lately there was an intriguing math video on youtube that referred to
the Weierstrass elliptic function:

https://youtu.be/5RHSS-zMaAQ?t=559

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstrass_elliptic_function

I was wondering how one might plot this in Desmos 3D.

I know it can be plotted using existing tools like this one:
https://functions.wolfram.com/webMathematica/FunctionPlotting.jsp?name=WeierstrassP

But I'd like to see how it can be done in Desmos 3D, since this offers a
more flexible interface for experimentation (like being able to zoom,
change the orientation, etc..).

Can anyone provide a demonstration or give some hints what approach to
take plotting such a function (I've never seen functions involving a
summation over lattice points before)?

I was particularly intrigued because I had seen some abstract art
featuring this function by Man Ray a while ago:

https://i.imgur.com/LEV1jKd.png

Re: plotting the Weierstrass elliptic function in Desmos 3D

<v0koaa$t2hv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=156967&group=sci.math#156967

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 22:54:18 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 05:54 UTC

On 4/27/2024 5:30 PM, sobriquet wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Lately there was an intriguing math video on youtube that referred to
> the Weierstrass elliptic function:
>
> https://youtu.be/5RHSS-zMaAQ?t=559
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstrass_elliptic_function
>
> I was wondering how one might plot this in Desmos 3D.
>
> I know it can be plotted using existing tools like this one:
> https://functions.wolfram.com/webMathematica/FunctionPlotting.jsp?name=WeierstrassP
>
> But I'd like to see how it can be done in Desmos 3D, since this offers a
> more flexible interface for experimentation (like being able to zoom,
> change the orientation, etc..).
>
> Can anyone provide a demonstration or give some hints what approach to
> take plotting such a function (I've never seen functions involving a
> summation over lattice points before)?
>
> I was particularly intrigued because I had seen some abstract art
> featuring this function by Man Ray a while ago:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/LEV1jKd.png

Check this out:

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/WtXGzs

Re: plotting the Weierstrass elliptic function in Desmos 3D

<v0lg2p$11vct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=156971&group=sci.math#156971

From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 14:39:53 +0200
 by: sobriquet - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 12:39 UTC

Op 28/04/2024 om 07:54 schreef Chris M. Thomasson:
> On 4/27/2024 5:30 PM, sobriquet wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Lately there was an intriguing math video on youtube that referred to
>> the Weierstrass elliptic function:
>>
>> https://youtu.be/5RHSS-zMaAQ?t=559
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstrass_elliptic_function
>>
>> I was wondering how one might plot this in Desmos 3D.
>>
>> I know it can be plotted using existing tools like this one:
>> https://functions.wolfram.com/webMathematica/FunctionPlotting.jsp?name=WeierstrassP
>>
>> But I'd like to see how it can be done in Desmos 3D, since this offers
>> a more flexible interface for experimentation (like being able to
>> zoom, change the orientation, etc..).
>>
>> Can anyone provide a demonstration or give some hints what approach to
>> take plotting such a function (I've never seen functions involving a
>> summation over lattice points before)?
>>
>> I was particularly intrigued because I had seen some abstract art
>> featuring this function by Man Ray a while ago:
>>
>> https://i.imgur.com/LEV1jKd.png
>
> Check this out:
>
> https://www.shadertoy.com/view/WtXGzs

Ah, thx! That might provide some useful clues.

Re: plotting the Weierstrass elliptic function in Desmos 3D

<v0ovbi$1uq6q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=156987&group=sci.math#156987

From: chris.m....@gmail.com (Chris M. Thomasson)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 13:18:58 -0700
 by: Chris M. Thomasson - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 20:18 UTC

On 4/28/2024 5:39 AM, sobriquet wrote:
> Op 28/04/2024 om 07:54 schreef Chris M. Thomasson:
>> On 4/27/2024 5:30 PM, sobriquet wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Lately there was an intriguing math video on youtube that referred to
>>> the Weierstrass elliptic function:
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/5RHSS-zMaAQ?t=559
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstrass_elliptic_function
>>>
>>> I was wondering how one might plot this in Desmos 3D.
>>>
>>> I know it can be plotted using existing tools like this one:
>>> https://functions.wolfram.com/webMathematica/FunctionPlotting.jsp?name=WeierstrassP
>>>
>>> But I'd like to see how it can be done in Desmos 3D, since this
>>> offers a more flexible interface for experimentation (like being able
>>> to zoom, change the orientation, etc..).
>>>
>>> Can anyone provide a demonstration or give some hints what approach
>>> to take plotting such a function (I've never seen functions involving
>>> a summation over lattice points before)?
>>>
>>> I was particularly intrigued because I had seen some abstract art
>>> featuring this function by Man Ray a while ago:
>>>
>>> https://i.imgur.com/LEV1jKd.png
>>
>> Check this out:
>>
>> https://www.shadertoy.com/view/WtXGzs
>
> Ah, thx! That might provide some useful clues.

It sure should! :^)

tech / sci.math / plotting the Weierstrass elliptic function in Desmos 3D