From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Subject: Re: what is a semi loaded brake caliper rebuild
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 17:03:53 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 22:03 UTC

On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 19:21:48 +0000, Peter
<occassionally-confused@nospam.co.uk> wrote:

>I never did brakes but my dual piston front brake caliper boots are torn.
>Calling parts suppliers tells me I have two economical choices.
>
>One is a $50 "semi loaded" rebuilt caliper (with $50 core charge) and the
>other is a $15 O'Reilly or Napa gasket rebuild rebuild kit.
>https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/brakebest-hardware---hydraulics-261/brake-systems-4579/brake-hydraulics-4611/brake-caliper-repair-kit-199/d3a58bb0a88a/brakebest-brake-caliper-repair-kit/41248/227853?pos=2
>
>What does semi loaded mean and how hard is it to rebuild a caliper anyway?

What's your time worth?
The rebuilt caliper will have the cylinder honed and all of the inside
and outside parts cleaned (no rust etc).
Depending on climate, salt etc old calipers can be pretty funky.
OTOH I know guys who just take them off, compress the piston and slide
in new pads. Those calipers are likely to start leaking because they
didn't clean up the insides and the seals are riding on a different
area of the cylinder.

interests / alt.home.repair / Re: what is a semi loaded brake caliper rebuild