Write a wise saying and your name will live forever. -- Anonymous

interests / alt.obituaries / Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters

SubjectAuthor
* Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer SistersJason
+* Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer SistersLouis Epstein
|+- Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sistersradioacti...@gmail.com
|`* Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer SistersA Friend
| `- Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer SistersLouis Epstein
+* Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer SistersBig Mongo
|`* Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer SistersKenny McCormack
| `* Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer SistersBig Mongo
|  `- Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer SistersKenny McCormack
`* Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer SistersDavid Carson
 `- Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer SistersKenny McCormack

1
Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters

<5e6735ee-f2ff-45c6-b91b-5d0ed839da37n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15582&group=alt.obituaries#15582

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 01:08:18 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters
From: jsnsmith...@gmail.com (Jason)
 by: Jason - Sun, 1 Jan 2023 09:08 UTC

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/01/entertainment/anita-pointer-obit/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2023-01-01T06%3A33%3A04&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNN

Anita Pointer, one of the founding members of the R&B group The Pointer Sisters, has died at age 74, according to her publicist Roger Neal.

Pointer passed away Saturday at her home in Los Angeles where she was surrounded by her family, Neal said in a statement to CNN. The cause of death was cancer, he said.

“While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Anita, we are comforted in knowing she is now with her daughter, Jada and her sisters June & Bonnie and at peace,” Pointer’s family said in a statement. “Heaven is a more loving beautiful place with Anita there.”

“She was the one that kept all of us close and together for so long.. Her love of our family will live on in each of us,” the statement said, while also asking that the family’s privacy be respected “during this period of grief and loss.”

The four Pointer Sisters began singing together more than 50 years ago in their hometown church in Oakland, California, where their father ministered. Bonnie Pointer and her youngest sister, June, made their professional singing debut as a duo in 1969. They later recruited older sisters Anita and Ruth to join them, before releasing their first album together in 1973.

The group won their first Grammy Award for their crossover hit, “Fairytale,” in 1974. They are also known for hits like “Slow Hand,” “Neutron Dance,” and “Jump.”

The group won three total Grammy Awards and had 13 US Top 20 hits between 1973 and 1985.

CNN’s Sandra Gonzalez contributed to this report.

Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters

<totl6d$jsn$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15597&group=alt.obituaries#15597

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 04:05:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 04:05 UTC

Jason <jsnsmith565@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/01/entertainment/anita-pointer-obit/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2023-01-01T06%3A33%3A04&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNN
>

> Anita Pointer, one of the founding members of the R&B group The Pointer Sisters, has died at age 74, according to her publicist Roger Neal.
>
> Pointer passed away Saturday at her home in Los Angeles where she was surrounded by her family, Neal said in a statement to CNN. The cause of death was cancer, he said.
>
> ?While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Anita, we are comforted in knowing she is now with her daughter, Jada and her sisters June & Bonnie and at peace,? Pointer?s family said in a statement. ?Heaven is a more loving beautiful place with Anita there.?
>
> ?She was the one that kept all of us close and together for so long. Her love of our family will live on in each of us,? the statement said, while also asking that the family?s privacy be respected ?during this period of grief and loss.?
>
> The four Pointer Sisters began singing together more than 50 years ago in their hometown church in Oakland, California, where their father ministered. Bonnie Pointer and her youngest sister, June, made their professional singing debut as a duo in 1969. They later recruited older sisters Anita and Ruth to join them, before releasing their first album together in 1973.
>
> The group won their first Grammy Award for their crossover hit, ?Fairytale,? in 1974. They are also known for hits like ?Slow Hand,? ?Neutron Dance,? and ?Jump.?
>
> The group won three total Grammy Awards and had 13 US Top 20 hits between 1973 and 1985.
>
> CNN?s Sandra Gonzalez contributed to this report.

Like the Gibb brothers,the Pointer sisters have had the
three youngest die in reverse order with only the oldest
one still alive.

-=-=-

Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters

<5e968ef3-bd8a-4625-a037-ca4f6c78389bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15602&group=alt.obituaries#15602

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 01:39:08 -0800 (PST)
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 09:39 UTC

Eagle-eyed Epstein pointed out:

Like the Gibb brothers, the Pointer sisters have had the three youngest die in reverse order with only the oldest one still alive.
Now that's a downright interesting factoid, Louis; sure appreciate your noting it.

That's ESPECIALLY interesting to ever-narcissistic little me, inasmuch as The Pointer Sisters were one of two opening acts--along with Wishbone Ash--at my first-ever outdoor rock concert, The Who's gig under the tent at Edwardsville, Illinois on Monday, August 16, 1971...which was about the closest thing to the precisely-two-years-prior Woodstock which sleepy ol' Greater St. Louis had ever hosted by that point* in rock history.

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida
==================* Of course, the subsequent Chuck Berry-at-60 tribute all-star concert with Berry, Clapton, Keith Richards, Robert Cray, Julian Lennon, et al. on Thursday, October 16, 1986 eclipsed that Who-starring festival by at least several light-years; wish I had happened to be back home in The Show-Me State (instead of living The California Dream out in L.A. that week) to have been THERE (as were just about every one of my St. Louis pals), instead of having to merely watch it (time and time and time again) on film via Taylor Hackford's terrific "Hail, Hail, Rock & Roll".

Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters

<020120230554302850%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15605&group=alt.obituaries#15605

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 05:54:30 -0500
 by: A Friend - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:54 UTC

In article <totl6d$jsn$1@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
<le@top.put.com> wrote:

> Jason <jsnsmith565@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/01/entertainment/anita-pointer-obit/index.html?u
> > tm_term=link&utm_content=2023-01-01T06%3A33%3A04&utm_medium=social&utm_sourc
> > e=twCNN
> >

> > Anita Pointer, one of the founding members of the R&B group The Pointer
> > Sisters, has died at age 74, according to her publicist Roger Neal.
> >
> > Pointer passed away Saturday at her home in Los Angeles where she was
> > surrounded by her family, Neal said in a statement to CNN. The cause of
> > death was cancer, he said.
> >
> > ?While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Anita, we are comforted in
> > knowing she is now with her daughter, Jada and her sisters June & Bonnie
> > and at peace,? Pointer?s family said in a statement. ?Heaven is a more
> > loving beautiful place with Anita there.?
> >
> > ?She was the one that kept all of us close and together for so long. Her
> > love of our family will live on in each of us,? the statement said, while
> > also asking that the family?s privacy be respected ?during this period of
> > grief and loss.?
> >
> > The four Pointer Sisters began singing together more than 50 years ago in
> > their hometown church in Oakland, California, where their father
> > ministered. Bonnie Pointer and her youngest sister, June, made their
> > professional singing debut as a duo in 1969. They later recruited older
> > sisters Anita and Ruth to join them, before releasing their first album
> > together in 1973.
> >
> > The group won their first Grammy Award for their crossover hit,
> > ?Fairytale,? in 1974. They are also known for hits like ?Slow Hand,?
> > ?Neutron Dance,? and ?Jump.?
> >
> > The group won three total Grammy Awards and had 13 US Top 20 hits between
> > 1973 and 1985.
> >
> > CNN?s Sandra Gonzalez contributed to this report.
>
> Like the Gibb brothers,the Pointer sisters have had the
> three youngest die in reverse order with only the oldest
> one still alive.

Good catch there, Louis. That's a remarkable coincidence.

Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters

<b577098d-2fcd-4b77-a8a4-83a1050eea92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15608&group=alt.obituaries#15608

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 04:21:25 -0800 (PST)
From: bigmongo...@gmail.com (Big Mongo)
 by: Big Mongo - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 12:21 UTC

On Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 4:08:20 AM UTC-5, Jason wrote:

> Anita Pointer, one of the founding members of the R&B group The Pointer Sisters, has died at age 74, according to her publicist Roger Neal.

Some of her finest work at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__48P1Fbjm8

Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters

<touqg8$22l28$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15612&group=alt.obituaries#15612

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 14:42:16 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 14:42 UTC

In article <b577098d-2fcd-4b77-a8a4-83a1050eea92n@googlegroups.com>,
Big Mongo <bigmongo1963@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 4:08:20 AM UTC-5, Jason wrote:
>
>> Anita Pointer, one of the founding members of the R&B group The Pointer
>Sisters, has died at age 74, according to her publicist Roger Neal.
>
>Some of her finest work at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__48P1Fbjm8

I'm assuming the implication is that she was the (unseen) singer on this
video. Just out of curiosity, how do you know that?

http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/God

Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters

<9e41eccc-0c00-47f2-aca0-13e87aedec9fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15613&group=alt.obituaries#15613

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 08:58:43 -0800 (PST)
From: bigmongo...@gmail.com (Big Mongo)
 by: Big Mongo - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 16:58 UTC

On Monday, January 2, 2023 at 9:42:19 AM UTC-5, Kenny McCormack wrote:

> >Some of her finest work at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__48P1Fbjm8
> I'm assuming the implication is that she was the (unseen) singer on this
> video. Just out of curiosity, how do you know that?

I have the intelligence of ten men!!!!! And then there's the Wikipedia entry
located at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinball_Number_Count

Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters

<tov7ku$22rld$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15618&group=alt.obituaries#15618

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 18:26:38 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 18:26 UTC

In article <9e41eccc-0c00-47f2-aca0-13e87aedec9fn@googlegroups.com>,
Big Mongo <bigmongo1963@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, January 2, 2023 at 9:42:19 AM UTC-5, Kenny McCormack wrote:
>
>> >Some of her finest work at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__48P1Fbjm8
>> I'm assuming the implication is that she was the (unseen) singer on this
>> video. Just out of curiosity, how do you know that?
>
>I have the intelligence of ten men!!!!! And then there's the Wikipedia
>entry located at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinball_Number_Count

I am impressed! Thank you.

--
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-10-dumbest-things-ever-said-about-global-warming-20130619

Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters

<tp0952$ejv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15632&group=alt.obituaries#15632

From: dav...@neosoft.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 21:58:23 -0600
 by: David Carson - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 03:58 UTC

>“While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Anita, we are comforted in knowing she is now with her daughter, Jada and her sisters June & Bonnie and at peace,” Pointer’s family said in a statement. “Heaven is a more loving beautiful place with Anita there.”

June was the one who showed full-frontal nudity in a video that was
routinely shown on broadcast TV. Brief or not, that was a pretty rare
thing back in those days. As far as I know, on broadcast TV, it still is.

Just go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iwBM_YB1sE and look at the
most replayed graph.

Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters

<tp0jdn$23irb$1@news.xmission.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15635&group=alt.obituaries#15635

From: gaze...@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 06:53:43 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: gazelle@shell.xmission.com (Kenny McCormack)
 by: Kenny McCormack - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 06:53 UTC

In article <tp0952$ejv$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
David Carson <davo@neosoft.com> wrote:
>>While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Anita, we are comforted in
>>knowing she is now with her daughter, Jada and her sisters June & Bonnie
>>and at peace, Pointers family said in a statement. Heaven is a more
>>loving beautiful place with Anita there.
>
>June was the one who showed full-frontal nudity in a video that was
>routinely shown on broadcast TV. Brief or not, that was a pretty rare
>thing back in those days. As far as I know, on broadcast TV, it still is.
>
>Just go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iwBM_YB1sE and look at the
>most replayed graph.

I'm assuming you are referring to the p-shot at about 0:57, yes?

http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/Pedantic

Re: Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters

<tp2h89$su8$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15648&group=alt.obituaries#15648

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 00:28:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 00:28 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <totl6d$jsn$1@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
> <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>
>> Jason <jsnsmith565@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/01/entertainment/anita-pointer-obit/index.html?u
>> > tm_term=link&utm_content=2023-01-01T06%3A33%3A04&utm_medium=social&utm_sourc
>> > e=twCNN
>> >

>> > Anita Pointer, one of the founding members of the R&B group The Pointer
>> > Sisters, has died at age 74, according to her publicist Roger Neal.
>> >
>> > Pointer passed away Saturday at her home in Los Angeles where she was
>> > surrounded by her family, Neal said in a statement to CNN. The cause of
>> > death was cancer, he said.
>> >
>> > ?While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Anita, we are comforted in
>> > knowing she is now with her daughter, Jada and her sisters June & Bonnie
>> > and at peace,? Pointer?s family said in a statement. ?Heaven is a more
>> > loving beautiful place with Anita there.?
>> >
>> > ?She was the one that kept all of us close and together for so long. Her
>> > love of our family will live on in each of us,? the statement said, while
>> > also asking that the family?s privacy be respected ?during this period of
>> > grief and loss.?
>> >
>> > The four Pointer Sisters began singing together more than 50 years ago in
>> > their hometown church in Oakland, California, where their father
>> > ministered. Bonnie Pointer and her youngest sister, June, made their
>> > professional singing debut as a duo in 1969. They later recruited older
>> > sisters Anita and Ruth to join them, before releasing their first album
>> > together in 1973.
>> >
>> > The group won their first Grammy Award for their crossover hit,
>> > ?Fairytale,? in 1974. They are also known for hits like ?Slow Hand,?
>> > ?Neutron Dance,? and ?Jump.?
>> >
>> > The group won three total Grammy Awards and had 13 US Top 20 hits between
>> > 1973 and 1985.
>> >
>> > CNN?s Sandra Gonzalez contributed to this report.
>>
>> Like the Gibb brothers,the Pointer sisters have had the
>> three youngest die in reverse order with only the oldest
>> one still alive.
>

> Good catch there, Louis. That's a remarkable coincidence.

For the record:

Andy Gibb 1958-1988
Maurice Gibb 1949-2003 (younger twin)
Robin Gibb 1949-2012
Barry Gibb 1946-alive with 5 children

June Pointer 1953-2006
Bonnie Pointer 1950-2020
Anita Pointer 1948-2022
Ruth Pointer 1946-alive with 5 children

-=-=-

interests / alt.obituaries / Anita Pointer, 74, founding member of The Pointer Sisters