From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Robert D. Kern, 96, Whose Emergency Generators Produced Riches, Dies
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 23:16:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 23:16 UTC

In <9980c15b-4740-4d4b-8a3a-55c42e4deb45n@googlegroups.com> "Dave P." <imbibe@mindspring.com> writes:

[lots snipped]

>With the sale of Generac Power Systems, Kern shared some of the proceeds wi=
>th employees, some receiving as much as $40,000 each. And in the years afte=
>rward, he and his wife, Patricia Kern, who had helped him found the company=
>, became prominent philanthropists.

We've been looking into emergency power for our home in flyover
country and.. initially downgraded Generac 'cuz they're the
largest and we like looking for smaller folk, but given their
positive corporate history, we'll put them back on the list.

Note that 99 percent of the quality of emergency generator
systems for residential use (once you're past the cheapest
garbage equipment) is ... the professionalism of the installers.

[snip]

>When Kern retired in 2006, at 81, Generac was the world's largest p=
>roducer of portable and standby generators, employing 2,000 people taking i=
>n revenues topping $700 million.

I stronly suspect that claim is very US centric...

>Generac's dominance of the market and the growing threat p=
>osed by increasingly erratic weather have turned it into a Wall Street darl=
>ing, The New York Times reported in 2021.

Umm, "increasingly erratic weather"? Really, I'd have expected
better from the NYT. Well, no I wouldn't.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: Robert D. Kern, 96, Whose Emergency Generators Produced Riches, Dies

<tm12bi$jhd$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15230&group=alt.obituaries#15230

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 01:19:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 01:19 UTC

danny burstein <dannyb@panix.com> wrote:
> In <9980c15b-4740-4d4b-8a3a-55c42e4deb45n@googlegroups.com> "Dave P." <imbibe@mindspring.com> writes:
>
> [lots snipped]
>
>>With the sale of Generac Power Systems, Kern shared some of the proceeds wi=
>>th employees, some receiving as much as $40,000 each. And in the years afte=
>>rward, he and his wife, Patricia Kern, who had helped him found the company=
>>, became prominent philanthropists.
>
> We've been looking into emergency power for our home in flyover
> country and.. initially downgraded Generac 'cuz they're the
> largest and we like looking for smaller folk, but given their
> positive corporate history, we'll put them back on the list.
>
> Note that 99 percent of the quality of emergency generator
> systems for residential use (once you're past the cheapest
> garbage equipment) is ... the professionalism of the installers.

My dealer/installer for the generator in my neck of the woods
is https://www.essentialpowers.com/ which was actually recommended
to me by a large gas supplier,but I wound up buying a propane tank
from a smaller company founded by a former employee of the large
one because the large one only wants to lease tanks,not sell them.
I got a giant tank that I filled once ten years ago and haven't
had to refill,I would have had to pay over a hundred rental bills.
The smaller company also dug the trench to connect the tank to
the generator,which the larger one refuses to do.

> [snip]
>
>>When Kern retired in 2006, at 81, Generac was the world's largest
>>producer of portable and standby generators, employing 2,000 people
>>taking in revenues topping $700 million.
>
> I stronly suspect that claim is very US centric...
>
>>Generac's dominance of the market and the growing threat posed
>>by increasingly erratic weather have turned it into a Wall Street
>>darling, The New York Times reported in 2021.
>
> Umm, "increasingly erratic weather"? Really, I'd have expected
> better from the NYT. Well, no I wouldn't.

-=-=-

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Robert D. Kern, 96, Whose Emergency Generators Produced Riches, Dies