From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: Re: Robert D. Kern, 96, Whose Emergency Generators Produced Riches, Dies
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 08:57:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 08:57 UTC

Dave P. <imbibe@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Robert D. Kern, 96, Whose Emergency Generators Produced Riches, Dies
> By Sam Roberts, Nov. 22, 2022, NY Times
> Robert D. Kern, a mechanical engineer who in the mid-50s started a company in a garage making portable backup power generators and then transformed the business into an industry leader known as Generac, selling it in 2006 for an estimated $1 billion, died on Nov. 8 in Waukesha, Wis. He was 96.
>
> With the sale of Generac Power Systems, Kern shared some of the proceeds with employees, some receiving as much as $40,000 each. And in the years afterward, he and his wife, Patricia Kern, who had helped him found the company, became prominent philanthropists.
>

> When Kern retired in 2006, at 81, Generac was the world?s largest producer of portable and standby generators, employing 2,000 people taking in revenues topping $700 million.
>
> It was bought that August by the private equity firm CCMP Capital Advisors, a spinoff of J.P. Morgan Chase.
>
> Since then the company, with five manufacturing plants in Wisconsin, has
> profited handsomely from a national trend toward emergency preparedness in
> the wake of extreme weather and natural disasters like the superstorm Sandy
> in New York and New Jersey in 2012, when demand for portable generators
> spiked.

My mother decided in the face of the October 2011 freak snowstorm(4 days
no power) that we needed a generator,and died five weeks later...I followed
through and ordered my Generac before Sandy hit,but it wasn't installed until
after (6 days without power).
It was years after that before there was a multi-day power outage.

> Generac?s ?dominance of the market and the growing threat posed by
> increasingly erratic weather have turned it into a Wall Street darling,? The
> New York Times reported in 2021.
>
> Kern?s wife died in 2017. He is survived by 3 daughters; 2 sisters;
> grandkids and great-grandkids.

The NYT...

> https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/22/business/robert-kern-dead.html

....now tails off an obit with the words "grandkids and great-grandkids"?

-=-=-

Re: Robert D. Kern, 96, Whose Emergency Generators Produced Riches, Dies

<271120220407088503%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15224&group=alt.obituaries#15224

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 04:07:08 -0500
 by: A Friend - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 09:07 UTC

In article <c2a2f50c-7fba-4276-a8f1-348a20444791n@googlegroups.com>,
Dave P. <imbibe@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Louis Epstein wrote:
> > Dave P. wrote:
> > > Robert D. Kern, 96, Whose Emergency Generators Produced Riches, Dies
> > > By Sam Roberts, Nov. 22, 2022, NY Times
> > > [ . . . ]
> > My mother decided in the face of the October 2011 freak snowstorm(4 days
> > no power) that we needed a generator, and died five weeks later...I
> > followed
> > through and ordered my Generac before Sandy hit, but it wasn't installed
> > until
> > after (6 days without power).
> > It was years after that before there was a multi-day power outage.
> >
> > > Generac's dominance of the market and the growing threat posed by
> > > increasingly erratic weather have turned it into a Wall Street darling,?
> > > The
> > > New York Times reported in 2021.
> > >
> > > Kern's wife died in 2017. He is survived by 3 daughters; 2 sisters;
> > > grandkids and great-grandkids.
> >
> > The NYT... now tails off an obit with the words "grandkids and
> > great-grandkids"?
> ----------------
> No, I did that. Sometimes I shorten words in the articles posted.

If you're quoting an article, then please don't do that. There's no
reason for it.

Re: Robert D. Kern, 96, Whose Emergency Generators Produced Riches, Dies

<tm0qec$1rln$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15227&group=alt.obituaries#15227

From: dav...@neosoft.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 17:04:43 -0600
 by: David Carson - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 23:04 UTC

On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 00:54:48 -0800 (PST), "Dave P."
<imbibe@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Louis Epstein wrote:
>> The NYT... now tails off an obit with the words "grandkids and great-grandkids"?
>No, I did that. Sometimes I shorten words in the articles posted.

That's not...necessary. Or good.

interests / alt.obituaries / Re: Robert D. Kern, 96, Whose Emergency Generators Produced Riches, Dies