"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

interests / alt.obituaries / Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

SubjectAuthor
* Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorDiner
`* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorradioacti...@gmail.com
 +* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorA Friend
 |`* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorLouis Epstein
 | `* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorA Friend
 |  `* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorLouis Epstein
 |   +- Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorBig Mongo
 |   `* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorA Friend
 |    +* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorDavid Samuel Barr
 |    |`* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorA Friend
 |    | `* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorThat Derek
 |    |  +* theme music lyrics, was: Robert Clary, 96, ...danny burstein
 |    |  |`- Re: theme music lyrics, was: Robert Clary, 96, ...A Friend
 |    |  `* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorDavid Carson
 |    |   `* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorDavid Carson
 |    |    `* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorThat Derek
 |    |     `* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorDavid Carson
 |    |      `- Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorLouis Epstein
 |    `- Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorAdam H. Kerman
 `* Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorBig Mongo
  `- Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivorLouis Epstein

1
Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<bd8b96e2-2be3-4e16-8a9e-f8ce1e9eef0fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15087&group=alt.obituaries#15087

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 13:26:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor
From: bwayst...@gmail.com (Diner)
 by: Diner - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 21:26 UTC

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/robert-clary-dead-hogans-heroes-1235263555/
Robert Clary, Corporal LeBeau on ‘Hogan’s Heroes,’ Dies at 96
The French actor and singer spent 31 months in a concentration camp but said he had no reservations about starring in a TV comedy about the Nazis.
BY MIKE BARNES
NOVEMBER 16, 2022 12:35PM

Robert Clary, the French actor, singer and Holocaust survivor who portrayed Corporal LeBeau on the World War II-set sitcom Hogan’s Heroes, has died. He was 96.

Clary, who was mentored by famed entertainer Eddie Cantor and married one of his five daughters, died Wednesday morning at his home in Los Angeles, his granddaughter Kim Wright told The Hollywood Reporter.

CBS’ Hogan’s Heroes, which aired over six seasons from September 1965 to April 1971, starred Bob Crane as Colonel Robert E. Hogan, an American who led an international group of Allied prisoners of war in a convert operation to defeat the Nazis from inside the Luft Stalag 13 camp.

As the patriotic Cpl. Louis LeBeau, the 5-foot-1 Clary hid in small spaces, dreamed about girls, got along great with the guard dogs and used his expert culinary skills to help the befuddled Nazi Colonel Wilhelm Klink (Werner Klemperer) get out of trouble with his superiors.

Clary was the last surviving member of the show’s original principal cast.

Born Robert Max Widerman in Paris on March 1, 1926, Clary was the youngest of 14 children in a strict Orthodox Jewish family. At age 12, he began singing and performing; one day when he was 16, he and his family were rounded up and sent to Auschwitz.

“My mother said the most remarkable thing,” Clary told The Hollywood Reporter‘s Peter Flax in late 2015. “She said, ‘Behave.’ She probably knew me as a brat. She said, ‘Behave. Do what they tell you to do.'”

Clary’s parents were murdered in the gas chamber that day.

At Buchenwald, Clary sang with an accordionist every other Sunday to an audience of SS soldiers. “Singing, entertaining and being in kind of good health at my age, that’s why I survived,” he told Flax.

Clary was incarcerated for 31 months (he worked in a factory making 4,000 wooden shoe heels each day) and tattooed with the identification “A-5714” on his left forearm. He was the only one of his captured family to make it out alive.

He chose not to talk about his Holocaust experience for almost four decades.. “For 36 years I kept these experiences during the war locked up inside myself,” he once said. “But those who are attempting to deny the Holocaust, my suffering and the suffering of millions of others have forced me to speak out.”

Did Clary have any reservations about doing a comedy series dealing with Nazis and concentration camps?

“I had to explain that [Hogan’s Heroes] was about prisoners of war in a stalag, not a concentration camp, and although I did not want to diminish what soldiers went through during their internments, it was like night and day from what people endured in concentration camps,” he wrote in his inspirational 2001 memoir, From the Holocaust to Hogan’s Heroes.

After being liberated, Clary returned to France in May 1945 and sang in dance halls. He came to Los Angeles in 1949 to record for Capitol Records and a year later appeared in a French comedy skit on a CBS variety show hosted by vaudevillian Ed Wynn.

Clary appeared in such films as Ten Tall Men (1951) and Thief of Damascus (1952), then met Cantor, who took him to New York to perform at the tony La Vie en Rose club. He came to the attention of producer Leonard Sillman, who cast Clary in the Broadway musical revue New Faces of 1952.

He sang “Lucky Pierre” and “I’m In Love With Miss Logan” in the show, which also featured Eartha Kitt, Paul Lynde, Ronny Graham, Alice Ghostley and Carol Lawrence and had sketches written by Mel Brooks. New Faces was filmed by Fox and played in movie theaters in 1954.

Clary then appeared again on Broadway in 1955 in the musical Seventh Heaven, which starred Gloria DeHaven, Ricardo Montalban and Bea Arthur.

The actor showed up in the Paris-set Paul Newman-Joanne Woodward film A New Kind of Love (1963), and in the Robert Wise-directed The Hindenburg (1975), he portrayed a passenger (a circus acrobat) on the doomed airship’s final voyage.

Clary also worked on the daytime soap operas Days of Our Lives, The Young and the Restless (his character, Pierre Roulland, owned a restaurant/club in Genoa City, then was murdered) and The Bold and The Beautiful.

He sang on several jazz albums that featured the work of songwriters like Irving Berlin and Johnny Mercer. (Also a part of his discography: Hogan’s Heroes Sing the Best of WWII, recorded with his castmates Richard Dawson, Larry Hovis and Ivan Dixon.)

Clary worked closely with the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles, speaking at universities across the country for more than two decades.

An accomplished painter, Clary was married for 32 years to the late Natalie Cantor, the second daughter of Eddie Cantor. She died in 1997.

The Hollywood Reporter is a part of Penske Media Corporation. © 2022 The Hollywood Reporter, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<94376728-a4c3-49ac-ae55-e2976ec579a5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15089&group=alt.obituaries#15089

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 15:09:45 -0800 (PST)
From: radioact...@gmail.com (radioacti...@gmail.com)
 by: radioacti...@gmail.c - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 23:09 UTC

I thought I had at least read of all the major novelty albums--as just like Dr. Demento, I got a thing for novelty songs--but somehow "Hogan's Heroes Sing the Best of WWII" has escaped my notice...though not through any tunnel to which Col. Klink was oblivious.

Anyone herein heard any of that historic album's tracks? Surely it's better than that infamous William Shatner record, no?

BRYAN STYBLE/Florida

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<161120221836040495%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15090&group=alt.obituaries#15090

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 18:36:04 -0500
 by: A Friend - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 23:36 UTC

In article <94376728-a4c3-49ac-ae55-e2976ec579a5n@googlegroups.com>,
<"radioacti...@gmail.com"> wrote:

> I thought I had at least read of all the major novelty albums--as just like
> Dr. Demento, I got a thing for novelty songs--but somehow "Hogan's Heroes
> Sing the Best of WWII" has escaped my notice...though not through any tunnel
> to which Col. Klink was oblivious.
>
> Anyone herein heard any of that historic album's tracks?

I heard the Hogan's album once, a very long time ago. Bob Crane is not
on it. The subsidiary cast sings standards from the '40s as well as
the Hogan's theme ("The Hogan's Heroes March"). The album was
passable. IIRC it was a flop.

Bob Crane *is* on the actual theme, though. He's the drummer.

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<tl3tmu$ftp$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15092&group=alt.obituaries#15092

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 00:02:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 17 Nov 2022 00:02 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <94376728-a4c3-49ac-ae55-e2976ec579a5n@googlegroups.com>,
> <"radioacti...@gmail.com"> wrote:
>
>> I thought I had at least read of all the major novelty albums--as just like
>> Dr. Demento, I got a thing for novelty songs--but somehow "Hogan's Heroes
>> Sing the Best of WWII" has escaped my notice...though not through any tunnel
>> to which Col. Klink was oblivious.
>>
>> Anyone herein heard any of that historic album's tracks?
>

> I heard the Hogan's album once, a very long time ago. Bob Crane is not
> on it. The subsidiary cast sings standards from the '40s as well as
> the Hogan's theme ("The Hogan's Heroes March"). The album was
> passable. IIRC it was a flop.
>
> Bob Crane *is* on the actual theme, though. He's the drummer.

Meaning he drummed for the novelty album,or for the theme as broadcast?

-=-=-

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<55f60849-2b46-41e9-958c-5d3d85f52defn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15094&group=alt.obituaries#15094

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 16:51:15 -0800 (PST)
From: bigmongo...@gmail.com (Big Mongo)
 by: Big Mongo - Thu, 17 Nov 2022 00:51 UTC

On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 6:09:47 PM UTC-5, radioacti...@gmail.com wrote:

> Anyone herein heard any of that historic album's tracks? Surely it's better than that infamous William Shatner record, no?

Listen for yerself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNI88bHcDN0

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<161120222245441052%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15095&group=alt.obituaries#15095

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 22:45:44 -0500
 by: A Friend - Thu, 17 Nov 2022 03:45 UTC

In article <tl3tmu$ftp$1@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
<le@top.put.com> wrote:

> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> > In article <94376728-a4c3-49ac-ae55-e2976ec579a5n@googlegroups.com>,
> > <"radioacti...@gmail.com"> wrote:
> >
> >> I thought I had at least read of all the major novelty albums--as
> >> just like Dr. Demento, I got a thing for novelty songs--but
> >> somehow "Hogan's Heroes Sing the Best of WWII" has escaped my
> >> notice...though not through any tunnel to which Col. Klink was
> >> oblivious.
> >>
> >> Anyone herein heard any of that historic album's tracks?
> >

> > I heard the Hogan's album once, a very long time ago. Bob Crane is not
> > on it. The subsidiary cast sings standards from the '40s as well as
> > the Hogan's theme ("The Hogan's Heroes March"). The album was
> > passable. IIRC it was a flop.
> >
> > Bob Crane *is* on the actual theme, though. He's the drummer.
>
> Meaning he drummed for the novelty album,or for the theme as broadcast?

By "actual theme" I meant the broadcast version. IIRC Bob Crane
couldn't work on the Hogan album because he was contractually obligated
elsewhere.

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<tl752b$1i0$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15114&group=alt.obituaries#15114

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 05:26:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 05:26 UTC

A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <tl3tmu$ftp$1@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
> <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>> > I heard the Hogan's album once, a very long time ago. Bob Crane is not
>> > on it. The subsidiary cast sings standards from the '40s as well as
>> > the Hogan's theme ("The Hogan's Heroes March"). The album was
>> > passable. IIRC it was a flop.
>> >
>> > Bob Crane *is* on the actual theme, though. He's the drummer.
>>
>> Meaning he drummed for the novelty album,or for the theme as broadcast?
>

> By "actual theme" I meant the broadcast version. IIRC Bob Crane
> couldn't work on the Hogan album because he was contractually obligated
> elsewhere.

The broadcast version of course had no lyrics,
so where did the words for the album come from?
Are they any better than Roddenberry's words for
the Star Trek theme?

-=-=-

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<7e21a6e1-ea55-44bc-ab9f-01f7a41b4ef7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15115&group=alt.obituaries#15115

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 21:43:42 -0800 (PST)
From: bigmongo...@gmail.com (Big Mongo)
 by: Big Mongo - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 05:43 UTC

On Friday, November 18, 2022 at 12:26:38 AM UTC-5, Louis Epstein wrote:

> The broadcast version of course had no lyrics,
> so where did the words for the album come from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnqJHorpOkk

March Lyrics by Jerry Fielding

Heroes, heroes, husky men of war,
Sons of all the heroes of the war before.
We're all heroes up to our ear-o's
You ask the questions
We make suggestions
That's what we're heroes for.

All good heroes love a good, big fight
Open up the bomb bays and brighten up the night.
We earn laurels solving your quarrels
You pull the roses,
We punch the noses,
That's what we're heroes for.

What's a hero do?
Well, we're not gonna tell ya
Cause we wish we knew.
That's why we heroes are so few.
We've got a slogan
From Colonel Hogan
And Colonel Hogan's a hero too.

Never flinch, boys, never be afraid,
Heroes are not born, boys, heroes all are made.
Ask not why, boys, never say die, boys,
Answer the call, remember we'll all be heroes forever more.

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<tl76hf$qhp$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15116&group=alt.obituaries#15116

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 05:51:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 05:51 UTC

Big Mongo <bigmongo1963@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 16, 2022 at 6:09:47 PM UTC-5, radioacti...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Anyone herein heard any of that historic album's tracks? Surely it's better than that infamous William Shatner record, no?
>
> Listen for yerself...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNI88bHcDN0

We will never hear my notional ultimate horror of
recorded music,a Shatner/Nimoy duet of Roddenberry's
words to the Star Trek theme...

-=-=-

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<181120220518105155%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15119&group=alt.obituaries#15119

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 05:18:10 -0500
 by: A Friend - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 10:18 UTC

In article <tl752b$1i0$1@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
<le@top.put.com> wrote:

> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:
> > In article <tl3tmu$ftp$1@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
> > <le@top.put.com> wrote:

> >> Meaning he drummed for the novelty album,or for the theme as broadcast?
> >

> > By "actual theme" I meant the broadcast version. IIRC Bob Crane
> > couldn't work on the Hogan album because he was contractually obligated
> > elsewhere.
>
> The broadcast version of course had no lyrics,
> so where did the words for the album come from?
> Are they any better than Roddenberry's words for
> the Star Trek theme?

The words were copyrighted with the music. In those days, it was
believed that you couldn't copyright music without lyrics because
copyright attached to words. This was eventually deemed horseshit, but
it was the way things were done for a long time.

Roddenberry wrote the Star Trek lyrics in about three minutes and
grabbed half of Sandy Courage's residuals for it. He didn't have to do
that.

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<efycnQJxlt58Bur-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15125&group=alt.obituaries#15125

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
From: dsb...@mindspring.com (David Samuel Barr)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 09:50:58 -0500
 by: David Samuel Barr - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 14:50 UTC

On 11/18/2022 5:18 AM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <tl752b$1i0$1@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
> <le@top.put.com> wrote:
>
>> A Friend <nope@noway.com> wrote:

>>> By "actual theme" I meant the broadcast version. IIRC Bob Crane
>>> couldn't work on the Hogan album because he was contractually obligated
>>> elsewhere.
>>
>> The broadcast version of course had no lyrics,
>> so where did the words for the album come from?
>> Are they any better than Roddenberry's words for
>> the Star Trek theme?
>
> The words were copyrighted with the music. In those days, it was
> believed that you couldn't copyright music without lyrics because
> copyright attached to words. This was eventually deemed horseshit, but
> it was the way things were done for a long time.

I've never encountered anything that remotely suggests that was
ever the case. Instrumental music has been copyrighted without
lyrics from Day One (as an orchestra librarian I would watch
each year to see what was coming out of copyright and we could
then buy inexpensive reprints of rather than having to paying
hundreds of dollars to rent). It was a standard practice to
add lyrics to instrumental movie themes to try to create pop
records for radio which would help promote the movie as well
as for their own commercial sake, but that was just about
making money, not for any copyright requirements.

> Roddenberry wrote the Star Trek lyrics in about three minutes and
> grabbed half of Sandy Courage's residuals for it. He didn't have to do
> that.

As I posted here on 08/07/2005: Roddenberry's attorney buried
two new lines in the otherwise routine boilerplate contract for the
theme which gave Roddenberry the right to add lyrics; Courage didn't
notice that late addition to the contract when he signed it. It wasn't
until the series began to air two years later that Roddenberry wrote the
lyrics and had his lawyer call Courage to tell him that Roddenberry
would be taking half the royalties for the show's theme. Courage then
consulted the studio's music department and attorney and found that
there wasn't anything he could do about it. When Courage confronted
Roddenberry, the latter acknowledged that he was simply looking for ways
to make money from the series above the line since he never expected to
see net profits from it, although a year later he sent a letter to
Courage claiming to have remembered a meeting years earlier in which
Courage had objected to but then agreed to the royalty split and acting
as if he was the aggrieved party (a common Roddenberry tactic).
Although a lead sheet with the lyrics was prepared for copyright filing
purposes (which showed alterations to the actual melody that had to be
made to shape it to fit the poorly constructed words), the lyrics would
never be recorded or used.

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<181120221244058733%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15132&group=alt.obituaries#15132

From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 12:44:05 -0500
 by: A Friend - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 17:44 UTC

In article <efycnQJxlt58Bur-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com>, David
Samuel Barr <dsbarr@mindspring.com> wrote:

> On 11/18/2022 5:18 AM, A Friend wrote:
> > In article <tl752b$1i0$1@reader2.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
> > <le@top.put.com> wrote:

> >> The broadcast version of course had no lyrics,
> >> so where did the words for the album come from?
> >> Are they any better than Roddenberry's words for
> >> the Star Trek theme?
> >
> > The words were copyrighted with the music. In those days, it was
> > believed that you couldn't copyright music without lyrics because
> > copyright attached to words. This was eventually deemed horseshit, but
> > it was the way things were done for a long time.
>
> I've never encountered anything that remotely suggests that was
> ever the case. Instrumental music has been copyrighted without
> lyrics from Day One (as an orchestra librarian I would watch
> each year to see what was coming out of copyright and we could
> then buy inexpensive reprints of rather than having to paying
> hundreds of dollars to rent). It was a standard practice to
> add lyrics to instrumental movie themes to try to create pop
> records for radio which would help promote the movie as well
> as for their own commercial sake, but that was just about
> making money, not for any copyright requirements.

Nevertheless, there were some who thought that music couldn't be
copyrighted without lyrics, and they went forward on that basis. I
thought I was clear that this was a mistaken belief but, if not, it was
a mistaken belief.

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<cd7bb7b1-6ae0-480d-8ce6-3b92a367e018n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15138&group=alt.obituaries#15138

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 14:29:19 -0800 (PST)
From: thatde...@yahoo.com (That Derek)
 by: That Derek - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 22:29 UTC

Here, in no particular order, are some YouTube links to theme songs with unknown, little-known, and/or under-utilized lyrics:

M*A*S*H (this was a no-brainer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCK1J10MH7k

THE ODD COUPLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqKCx4OAPCs

MIDNIGHT COWBOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iD2atTjgs

BONANZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAe2KFZVxu0

CIRCUS BOY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_tbPD-zYEU

DAVEY AND GOLIATH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_tbPD-zYEU

THE FRIENDLY GIANT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG3Bd51ACLM

SONG OF THE NAIROBI TRIO (Solfeggio)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXqGWK1Lvls

THE ENTERTAINER (The Sting)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9gSvM4uR3s

TELSTAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkl8x3PBe9A

BEWITCHED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQxM0AE4TZE

I LOVE LUCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Hlu8Warlk

THE GEORGE BURNS AND GRACIE ALLEN SHOW (Love Nest)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgm6xrdLiqg

ALL IN THE FAMILY (closing theme "Remembering You")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnWbT66VQno&t=93s

THE TONIGHT SHOW STARRING JOHNNY CARSON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNMy0MuP3QQ

theme music lyrics, was: Robert Clary, 96, ...

<tl92u9$pp7$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15139&group=alt.obituaries#15139

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Subject: theme music lyrics, was: Robert Clary, 96, ...
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 23:02:33 -0000 (UTC)
References: <bd8b96e2-2be3-4e16-8a9e-f8ce1e9eef0fn@googlegroups.com> <94376728-a4c3-49ac-ae55-e2976ec579a5n@googlegroups.com> <161120221836040495%nope@noway.com> <tl3tmu$ftp$1@reader2.panix.com> <161120222245441052%nope@noway.com> <tl752b$1i0$1@reader2.panix.com> <181120220518105155%nope@noway.com> <efycnQJxlt58Bur-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com> <181120221244058733%nope@noway.com> <cd7bb7b1-6ae0-480d-8ce6-3b92a367e018n@googlegroups.com>
 by: danny burstein - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 23:02 UTC

(I added one to the end. Oh, and **THANKS** for "Davey and Goliath".
I've donated... a link to their Mountain Dew commercial..)

In <cd7bb7b1-6ae0-480d-8ce6-3b92a367e018n@googlegroups.com> That Derek <thatderek@yahoo.com> writes:

>Here, in no particular order, are some YouTube links to theme songs with unknown, little-known, and/or under-utilized lyrics:

>M*A*S*H (this was a no-brainer)
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCK1J10MH7k

>THE ODD COUPLE
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqKCx4OAPCs

>MIDNIGHT COWBOY
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iD2atTjgs

>BONANZA
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAe2KFZVxu0

>CIRCUS BOY
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_tbPD-zYEU

>DAVEY AND GOLIATH [a]
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_tbPD-zYEU

>THE FRIENDLY GIANT
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG3Bd51ACLM

>SONG OF THE NAIROBI TRIO (Solfeggio)
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXqGWK1Lvls

>THE ENTERTAINER (The Sting)
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9gSvM4uR3s

>TELSTAR
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkl8x3PBe9A

>BEWITCHED
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQxM0AE4TZE

>I LOVE LUCY
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Hlu8Warlk

>THE GEORGE BURNS AND GRACIE ALLEN SHOW (Love Nest)
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgm6xrdLiqg

>ALL IN THE FAMILY (closing theme "Remembering You")
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnWbT66VQno&t=93s

>THE TONIGHT SHOW STARRING JOHNNY CARSON
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNMy0MuP3QQ

Gotta add this one which is (at least in
my circles) better known...

The Movie "Exodus" theme music, with
vocal lyrics added:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itHwEye_Hvc

[a] Davey and Goliath Mountain Dew Commercial
Yes, Really
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGds6sPwvjI
dannyb@panix.com

Re: theme music lyrics, was: Robert Clary, 96, ...

<181120221830456426%nope@noway.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15140&group=alt.obituaries#15140

Subject: Re: theme music lyrics, was: Robert Clary, 96, ...
From: nop...@noway.com (A Friend)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
References: <bd8b96e2-2be3-4e16-8a9e-f8ce1e9eef0fn@googlegroups.com> <94376728-a4c3-49ac-ae55-e2976ec579a5n@googlegroups.com> <161120221836040495%nope@noway.com> <tl3tmu$ftp$1@reader2.panix.com> <161120222245441052%nope@noway.com> <tl752b$1i0$1@reader2.panix.com> <181120220518105155%nope@noway.com> <efycnQJxlt58Bur-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com> <181120221244058733%nope@noway.com> <cd7bb7b1-6ae0-480d-8ce6-3b92a367e018n@googlegroups.com> <tl92u9$pp7$1@reader2.panix.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 18:30:45 -0500
 by: A Friend - Fri, 18 Nov 2022 23:30 UTC

In article <tl92u9$pp7$1@reader2.panix.com>, danny burstein
<dannyb@panix.com> wrote:

> >I LOVE LUCY
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Hlu8Warlk

IIRC the flip side of this was "There's a New Baby at Our House." For
you kids, Little Ricky was born on I Love Lucy the same night Desi
Arnaz Jr. was born via C-section. This was a huge, huge story at the
time, and I still think Lucy and Desi planned it that way.

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<tl998v$c1b$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15141&group=alt.obituaries#15141

From: dav...@neosoft.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 18:50:33 -0600
References: <bd8b96e2-2be3-4e16-8a9e-f8ce1e9eef0fn@googlegroups.com> <94376728-a4c3-49ac-ae55-e2976ec579a5n@googlegroups.com> <161120221836040495%nope@noway.com> <tl3tmu$ftp$1@reader2.panix.com> <161120222245441052%nope@noway.com> <tl752b$1i0$1@reader2.panix.com> <181120220518105155%nope@noway.com> <efycnQJxlt58Bur-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com> <181120221244058733%nope@noway.com> <cd7bb7b1-6ae0-480d-8ce6-3b92a367e018n@googlegroups.com>
 by: David Carson - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 00:50 UTC

On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 14:29:19 -0800 (PST), That Derek <thatderek@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Here, in no particular order, are some YouTube links to theme songs with unknown, little-known, and/or under-utilized lyrics:

>CIRCUS BOY
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_tbPD-zYEU
>
>DAVEY AND GOLIATH
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_tbPD-zYEU

The URL for Davey and Goliath points to a video for Circus Boy (you can
see that the query string is identical).

The lyrics to the Davey and Goliath theme are hardly unknown or
little-used. They have been sung in Protestant churches for 500 years. Or
am I missing something I would have seen in the video?

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<tlanos$1tb6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15145&group=alt.obituaries#15145

From: dav...@neosoft.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 08:04:06 -0600
References: <bd8b96e2-2be3-4e16-8a9e-f8ce1e9eef0fn@googlegroups.com> <94376728-a4c3-49ac-ae55-e2976ec579a5n@googlegroups.com> <161120221836040495%nope@noway.com> <tl3tmu$ftp$1@reader2.panix.com> <161120222245441052%nope@noway.com> <tl752b$1i0$1@reader2.panix.com> <181120220518105155%nope@noway.com> <efycnQJxlt58Bur-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com> <181120221244058733%nope@noway.com> <cd7bb7b1-6ae0-480d-8ce6-3b92a367e018n@googlegroups.com> <tl998v$c1b$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: David Carson - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 14:04 UTC

On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 18:50:33 -0600, David Carson <davo@neosoft.com> wrote:

>The lyrics to the Davey and Goliath theme are hardly unknown or
>little-used. They have been sung in Protestant churches for 500 years. Or
>am I missing something I would have seen in the video?

I guess I should have provided this link. After I saw a video of a guy
playing "Davey & Goliath Theme" on his guitar, I should have known better
than to assume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XUYZoguhEQ

These lyrics are from the early 1700s, and are the only ones I've ever
sung or heard performed. There are other English lyrics going back to the
1500s, and then there are the original German ones.

David Carson
--
Dead or Alive Data Base
http://www.doadb.com

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<faf1bddf-ed61-473f-a879-0d7128e9c183n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15146&group=alt.obituaries#15146

Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 07:34:58 -0800 (PST)
From: thatde...@yahoo.com (That Derek)
 by: That Derek - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 15:34 UTC

How could I have forgotten Carrie Fisher warbling some touchy-feely song with lyrics which were supposed to align itself with the "Star Wars" theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy898D3FLy4

As a consolation, here's SNL's Bill Murray as "Nick, the :Lounge Singer," with stupider yet funnier lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-t2n_jk1QM

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<tlb5le$cmi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15147&group=alt.obituaries#15147

From: dav...@neosoft.com (David Carson)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 12:01:12 -0600
References: <161120221836040495%nope@noway.com> <tl3tmu$ftp$1@reader2.panix.com> <161120222245441052%nope@noway.com> <tl752b$1i0$1@reader2.panix.com> <181120220518105155%nope@noway.com> <efycnQJxlt58Bur-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com> <181120221244058733%nope@noway.com> <cd7bb7b1-6ae0-480d-8ce6-3b92a367e018n@googlegroups.com> <tl998v$c1b$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tlanos$1tb6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <faf1bddf-ed61-473f-a879-0d7128e9c183n@googlegroups.com>
 by: David Carson - Sat, 19 Nov 2022 18:01 UTC

On Sat, 19 Nov 2022 07:34:58 -0800 (PST), That Derek <thatderek@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>How could I have forgotten Carrie Fisher warbling some touchy-feely song with lyrics which were supposed to align itself with the "Star Wars" theme?
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy898D3FLy4
>
>As a consolation, here's SNL's Bill Murray as "Nick, the :Lounge Singer," with stupider yet funnier lyrics:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-t2n_jk1QM

I don't have a video, but here are the lyrics to "Chariot's of Fire":

VERSE
The chariots of fi-re.
The chariots of fire.
The chariots of fi-re.
The chariots of fire.

(Repeat)

CHORUS
The chariots of fi-i-i-i-i-re.
The chariots of fire!
The chariots of fi-i-i-i-ire.
The chariots of fire!

(Repeat)

(Repeat Verse)

(Repeat Chorus)

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<tlca31$k12$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15150&group=alt.obituaries#15150

From: le...@top.put.com (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 04:22:57 -0000 (UTC)
References: <161120221836040495%nope@noway.com> <tl3tmu$ftp$1@reader2.panix.com> <161120222245441052%nope@noway.com> <tl752b$1i0$1@reader2.panix.com> <181120220518105155%nope@noway.com> <efycnQJxlt58Bur-nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com> <181120221244058733%nope@noway.com> <cd7bb7b1-6ae0-480d-8ce6-3b92a367e018n@googlegroups.com> <tl998v$c1b$1@gioia.aioe.org> <tlanos$1tb6$1@gioia.aioe.org> <faf1bddf-ed61-473f-a879-0d7128e9c183n@googlegroups.com> <tlb5le$cmi$1@gioia.aioe.org>
 by: Louis Epstein - Sun, 20 Nov 2022 04:22 UTC

David Carson <davo@neosoft.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2022 07:34:58 -0800 (PST), That Derek <thatderek@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>How could I have forgotten Carrie Fisher warbling some touchy-feely song with lyrics which were supposed to align itself with the "Star Wars" theme?
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy898D3FLy4
>>
>>As a consolation, here's SNL's Bill Murray as "Nick, the :Lounge Singer," with stupider yet funnier lyrics:
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-t2n_jk1QM
>
> I don't have a video, but here are the lyrics to "Chariot's of Fire":
>
> VERSE
> The chariots of fi-re.
> The chariots of fire.
> The chariots of fi-re.
> The chariots of fire.
>
> (Repeat)
>
> CHORUS
> The chariots of fi-i-i-i-i-re.
> The chariots of fire!
> The chariots of fi-i-i-i-ire.
> The chariots of fire!

I never thought of the "Chariots of Fire Theme" music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a-HfNE3EIo&t=6
as having lyrics,but of course that title is a quote
from lyrics that have had a famed musical setting for
over a hundred years in a song that was also in the
film's soundtrack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgGGQ3jz-5M&t=106
> (Repeat)
>
> (Repeat Verse)
>
> (Repeat Chorus)

(In olden times of a.o we had someone here whose sig identified him
as "the alt.music.lyrics TV theme guy").

-=-=-

Re: Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor

<tllipf$dc11$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15194&group=alt.obituaries#15194

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: alt.obituaries
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 16:46:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Wed, 23 Nov 2022 16:46 UTC

A Friend wrote:

>>. . .

>The words were copyrighted with the music. In those days, it was
>believed that you couldn't copyright music without lyrics because
>copyright attached to words. This was eventually deemed horseshit, but
>it was the way things were done for a long time.

>Roddenberry wrote the Star Trek lyrics in about three minutes and
>grabbed half of Sandy Courage's residuals for it. He didn't have to do
>that.

I've heard similar stories about numerous themes over the years to
believe it was any sort of misunderstanding and not a third party trying
to grab undeserved royalties.

I have a feeling that there were those who composed instrumentals who
fully understood the implications of losing royalties to someone else
wrote their own stupid lyrics never to be sung and registered the copyright.

interests / alt.obituaries / Robert Clary, 96, "Hogan's Heroes" star and Holocaust survivor