Newsgroups: rec.roller-coaster
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 22:41:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Chance Zipper and no single riders
From: prairiep...@yahoo.com (John Doe)
 by: John Doe - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 05:41 UTC

On Thursday, August 2, 2001 at 1:28:32 AM UTC-5, Wolf wrote:
> > The Chance Zipper,one of my favorite flat rides.When run properly it
> can
> > be one of the most dizzying of the spin & pukes.One thing ive always
> wondered
> > is why Chance recommends no single riders.As long as i can remember i have
> > never come across a Zipper that would alow a single rider.The ride has
> > absolutly no lateral forces so i don't see what the problem would be.And
> > frankly after visiting their website i don't think i want to ride it with
> 2
> > adults in it as the per tub weight was max at 350lbs.So me at 200lbs,i
> would
> > be wary of rideing with another person over 150! Let me ride the ZIPPER
> alone
> > since most of my wuss friends won't ride it anyway.
> I suspect this goes back to the Flight Commander @ PKI reasoning. if some
> loses consciousness and slumps, they can slide sideways and out of the
> restraint, leaving them unrestrained in the squirrel cage. That could be
> messy.
> --
> |\-/|
> <0 0>
> =(o)> -Wolf

I personally have ridden as a single rider before on the Zipper (it was around 2008 when every single Zipper nationwide began enforcing No Single Riders like military/homeland security law) and can testify from personal experience that a person even 60 inches or taller can never turn sideways inside the gondola and slip out from under the lap bar. Now I am roughly 74 inches tall. The lap bar is tight against your waist, plus the inside shape of the gondola and the makeup of the human skeleton, you can't ever turn sideways inside the gondola and slip out from the lap bar. Plus you are completely enclosed in a steel cage. You're safer riding solo on the Zipper than you are riding even paired up on the Himalaya.