"We don't have to protect the environment -- the Second Coming is at hand." -- James Watt

interests / alt.usage.english / What does hallucinated mean in biochemistry?

SubjectAuthor
* What does hallucinated mean in biochemistry?Commander Kinsey
`* Re: What does hallucinated mean in biochemistry?Commander Kinsey
 `* Re: What does hallucinated mean in biochemistry?David Brooks
  `- Re: What does hallucinated mean in biochemistry?Athel Cornish-Bowden

1
What does hallucinated mean in biochemistry?

<op.1s5ebr1omvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=150684&group=alt.usage.english#150684

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.students.medicine,sci.medicine
Subject: What does hallucinated mean in biochemistry?
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 10:36:53 +0100
 by: Commander Kinsey - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 09:36 UTC

This is computer systems studying molecules.

Re: What does hallucinated mean in biochemistry?

<op.1s5m9trumvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=150691&group=alt.usage.english#150691

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.students.medicine,sci.medicine,alt.computer.workshop
Subject: Re: What does hallucinated mean in biochemistry?
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 13:50:07 +0100
 by: Commander Kinsey - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 12:50 UTC

On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 10:36:53 +0100, Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:

> This is computer systems studying molecules.

Found it. This video fills me with hope for the future: https://youtu.be/PJLT0cAPNfs

This is Professor David Baker giving a talk at TED. Looks like he's going to revolutionise medicine. And his labs with the help of my computers and many other volunteers around the world are working on Coeliac disease (my Aunt has it, she cannot eat gluten, in wheat and many other grains). A protein she could take in tablet form to allow her to eat foods containing gluten (it destroys it in the stomach). Also chronic pain, which her neighbour has - pain in the whole body 24/7 which gets worse and worse and eventually kills you.

If you want to help, it's Rosetta@Home https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/ , which will run on a Mac or Linux or Windows. Make sure you install Virtualbox to allow some of their specialized stuff to run, if not you'll still get their other stuff. It's not a continuous supply of work, your computers would work hard every so often, they release a big batch every few days.

Re: What does hallucinated mean in biochemistry?

<XaEYK.567411$YC96.27903@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=150701&group=alt.usage.english#150701

Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,alt.students.medicine,sci.medicine,alt.computer.workshop
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 15:56:55 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Tue, 27 Sep 2022 14:56 UTC

On 27/09/2022 13:50, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2022 10:36:53 +0100, Commander Kinsey <CK1@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This is computer systems studying molecules.
>
> Found it.  This video fills me with hope for the future:
> https://youtu.be/PJLT0cAPNfs

Thanks for sharing. :-D

It's an excellent talk and a fascinating subject.

I've posted it on my Facebook page and hope some of my friends take time
to watch and listen.

> This is Professor David Baker giving a talk at TED. Looks like he's
> going to revolutionise medicine. And his labs with the help of my
> computers and many other volunteers around the world are working on
> Coeliac disease (my Aunt has it, she cannot eat gluten, in wheat and
> many other grains). A protein she could take in tablet form to allow her
> to eat foods containing gluten (it destroys it in the stomach). Also
> chronic pain, which her neighbour has - pain in the whole body 24/7
> which gets worse and worse and eventually kills you.
>
> If you want to help, it's Rosetta@Home
> https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/ , which will run on a Mac or Linux
> or Windows. Make sure you install Virtualbox to allow some of their
> specialized stuff to run, if not you'll still get their other stuff.
> It's not a continuous supply of work, your computers would work hard
> every so often, they release a big batch every few days.

I know how well you support this effort, Commander. Well done you! 🥰
--
David

Re: What does hallucinated mean in biochemistry?

<jpittiFf4l2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=150800&group=alt.usage.english#150800

From: acorn...@imm.cnrs.fr (Athel Cornish-Bowden)
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 14:44:32 +0200
 by: Athel Cornish-Bowden - Wed, 28 Sep 2022 12:44 UTC

On 2022-09-27 14:56:55 +0000, David Brooks said:

>> This is Professor David Baker giving a talk at TED. Looks like he's
>> going to revolutionise medicine. And his labs with the help of my
>> computers and many other volunteers around the world are working on
>> Coeliac disease (my Aunt has it, she cannot eat gluten, in wheat and
>> many other grains). A protein she could take in tablet form to allow
>> her to eat foods containing gluten (it destroys it in the stomach).
>> Also chronic pain, which her neighbour has - pain in the whole body
>> 24/7 which gets worse and worse and eventually kills you.
>>
>> If you want to help, it's Rosetta@Home
>> https://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/ , which will run on a Mac or Linux
>> or Windows. Make sure you install Virtualbox to allow some of their
>> specialized stuff to run, if not you'll still get their other stuff.
>> It's not a continuous supply of work, your computers would work hard
>> every so often, they release a big batch every few days.
>
> I know how well you support this effort, Commander. Well done you! 🥰

Maybe, but in Nature Communications 7, Article number: 12549 (2016)
David Baker and his colleagues seem to be trying to give the impression
that they invented the crowdsourcing approach. However, I heard Graham
Richards talking about exactly this a long time before 2016, in 2002 in
fact, at an International Beilstein Workshop on Molecular Informatics:
Confronting Complexity.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

interests / alt.usage.english / What does hallucinated mean in biochemistry?