I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature. -- Thomas Jefferson

interests / alt.home.repair / Disconnect power steering?

SubjectAuthor
* Disconnect power steering?TimR
+* Disconnect power steering?Marilyn Manson
|`- Disconnect power steering?trader_4
+- Disconnect power steering?Rod Speed
+* Disconnect power steering?hubops
|+- Disconnect power steering?Frank
|`* Disconnect power steering?Clare Snyder
| `- Disconnect power steering?Bob F
+* Disconnect power steering?micky
|`- Disconnect power steering?micky
+* Disconnect power steering?Bob F
|`* Disconnect power steering?gfretwell
| `* Disconnect power steering?TimR
|  +* Disconnect power steering?trader_4
|  |`- Disconnect power steering?Marilyn Manson
|  `* Disconnect power steering?Bob F
|   `* Disconnect power steering?TimR
|    `- Disconnect power steering?Marilyn Manson
`* Disconnect power steering?rbowman
 `- Disconnect power steering?gfretwell

1
Disconnect power steering?

<548b183b-fd02-4ebd-910a-cdcf69bc2178n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14943&group=alt.home.repair#14943

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:40:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Disconnect power steering?
From: timothy4...@gmail.com (TimR)
 by: TimR - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 21:40 UTC

I have an older car used for short trips, 1999 Chevy.

I passes inspection but is beginning to leave a mess with power steering fluid. I asked the mechanic and he topped it off, but the leak seems to be increasing.

It's a small car, a Cavalier. Obviously I can't run it with the power steering broken, then I'm turning the wheels plus the power steering gear.

But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel? We grew up without power steering and it seems like a convenience I could do without, on an older car probably worth less than the price of a repair.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<497be4ad-ccb8-4d50-8d26-0183f55e69d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14945&group=alt.home.repair#14945

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 14:08:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Disconnect power steering?
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 22:08 UTC

On Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 4:40:05 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
> I have an older car used for short trips, 1999 Chevy.
>
> I passes inspection but is beginning to leave a mess with power steering fluid.
> I asked the mechanic and he topped it off, but the leak seems to be increasing.
>
> It's a small car, a Cavalier. Obviously I can't run it with the power steering broken,
> then I'm turning the wheels plus the power steering gear.
>
> But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel? We grew up without
> power steering and it seems like a convenience I could do without, on an older car
> probably worth less than the price of a repair.

If any of this Google found stuff applies to a '99 Cavalier, then you might be in
for a surprise:

"Power steering that loses power assist is *far* harder to turn than manual steering
with no assist. The steering ratio is faster with the PS too, and that increases
effort when it loses assist."

"A disengaged power steering will be a lot more harder to steer than a non
power steering version."

"If you want true non assist steering, you have to change the rack...or modify
it by removing the piston and seals."

One suggestion was to find a large empty parking lot, get up to 25 MPH and
shut the car off. Now try to steer as the vehicle slows down. Do you like what
you feel? (Be careful: mind your braking ability)

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<j0nn7qFb31eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14947&group=alt.home.repair#14947

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 09:34:31 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 22:34 UTC

TimR <timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote

> I have an older car used for short trips, 1999 Chevy.

> I passes inspection but is beginning to leave a mess
> with power steering fluid. I asked the mechanic and
> he topped it off, but the leak seems to be increasing.

So why cant you get the leak fixed ?

> It's a small car, a Cavalier. Obviously I can't run
> it with the power steering broken, then I'm turning
> the wheels plus the power steering gear.

> But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel?

That doesn’t work because the gearing is very
different with a power steering system.

> We grew up without power steering and it seems
> like a convenience I could do without, on an older
> car probably worth less than the price of a repair.

That’s a mad way to decide whether to repair it or not.

Its only true if you can replace the car
with another for less which has no faults.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<1m9dqg10405kkn2i1ha5r8cfququa3b1un@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14948&group=alt.home.repair#14948

From: hub...@ccanoemail.ca
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:38:22 -0500
 by: hub...@ccanoemail.ca - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 22:38 UTC

On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:40:02 -0800 (PST), TimR
<timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have an older car used for short trips, 1999 Chevy.
>I passes inspection but is beginning to leave a mess with power steering fluid.
>I asked the mechanic and he topped it off, but the leak seems to be increasing.
>It's a small car, a Cavalier. Obviously I can't run it with the power steering broken,
> then I'm turning the wheels plus the power steering gear.
>But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel?
> We grew up without power steering and it seems like a convenience
>I could do without, on an older car probably worth less than the price of a repair.

Many years ago I had good results after adding a power steering
"stop leak" product in my old Mazda pickup. I was surprised - but
it completely stopped the leak and lasted a couple years.
Give it a try while you shop the wreckers for a replacement.
John T.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<so6dg5$13h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14952&group=alt.home.repair#14952

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 18:52:36 -0500
 by: Frank - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 23:52 UTC

On 11/30/2021 5:38 PM, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:40:02 -0800 (PST), TimR
> <timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have an older car used for short trips, 1999 Chevy.
>> I passes inspection but is beginning to leave a mess with power steering fluid.
>> I asked the mechanic and he topped it off, but the leak seems to be increasing.
>> It's a small car, a Cavalier. Obviously I can't run it with the power steering broken,
>> then I'm turning the wheels plus the power steering gear.
>> But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel?
>> We grew up without power steering and it seems like a convenience
>> I could do without, on an older car probably worth less than the price of a repair.
>

> Many years ago I had good results after adding a power steering
> "stop leak" product in my old Mazda pickup. I was surprised - but
> it completely stopped the leak and lasted a couple years.
> Give it a try while you shop the wreckers for a replacement.
> John T.

I heard power steering pressures can run pretty high and saw this:

What Is the Average PSI of a Car's Power Steering Pump?
by Richard Rowe

Power steering does more than make life a little easier -- it makes cars
a lot quicker. Before power steering, manufacturers could build a box
with a quick gear ratio for rapid reflexes, or a much slower gear ratio
for easier turns. But since tighter boxes made steering harder, they
often had to install giant, school-bus steering wheels for extra
leverage on them. The modern hydraulic steering system packs a load of
power in a small package, and develops incredible pressures to do it.

Pressure Ranges

All cars are different, and require different pressures. Heavy vehicles
and cars with very quick-ratio steering boxes typically require higher
pressures than lighter and lower-performing vehicles. At idle with the
steering wheel static, a typical power steering pump holds about 80 to
125 psi in the output line. Yank the steering wheel a couple of times in
rapid succession -- causing the pressure-release valve to flutter open
and shut -- and a typical modern pump might momentarily put between
1,000 and 1,500 psi through the lines. Older and lower-performing pumps
might run 850 psi of momentary pressure or less, while heavy-duty
off-road pumps may sustain 1,600 or more. High-performance pumps can
jump to 2,500 psi before the valve releases. and hold upward of 8,000 to
10,000 psi internally before bursting.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<3ihdqgh82ptvk62uk689419buk3av6rcj1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14955&group=alt.home.repair#14955

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 20:00:36 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 01:00 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:40:02 -0800 (PST), TimR
<timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have an older car used for short trips, 1999 Chevy.
>
>I passes inspection but is beginning to leave a mess with power steering fluid. I asked the mechanic and he topped it off, but the leak seems to be increasing.
>
>It's a small car, a Cavalier. Obviously I can't run it with the power steering broken, then I'm turning the wheels plus the power steering gear.

I had a Chryler LeBaron. I had 3 in a row and this one was either the
88 or the 95, and it had a leak, and I"d refill it and it got to the
point where it went empty in less than a week. Maybe 3 or 4 days.

Sometimes I didn't fill it up even when I had no assist, and eventually
I never filled it up, and it was barely any different from with fluid
and powerS at any speed over 3 miles an hour. At 10 or 20 and above
including 65 on the highway I couldn't tell any difference. At 2 mph, I
had to pull some to turn it, and I suppose when it wasn't moving,
turning the wheel would have been quite hard, but you're not supposed to
do that anyhow because it's bad for the tires.

>But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel? We grew up without power steering and it seems like a convenience I could do without, on an older car probably worth less than the price of a repair.

I'd just stop refilling it and see how it goes.

When it was a special occasion, like my birthday or the 4th of July or I
needed to do a lot of low-speed steering, I filled it up again once or
twice after running empty for months, and it worked as well as if it
were new. Seriously. Otherwise I think I was empty for a year or more.

Chrysler isn't the same as GM and maybe the Chrylser design, and the
location of the leak, left enough in the pump to keep the pump from
wearing out, and I guess you could ruin the pump, but maybe that is
where the leak is anyhow. And if you're never going to repair it, it
doesn't matter. And this way, when your feeble great grandmother wants
to drive the car you can fill it up and she'll have powers for a few
hours or days.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<agidqg5t8h6d7vj5i89vdvqqo8q4migak5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14957&group=alt.home.repair#14957

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 20:08:49 -0500
 by: micky - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 01:08 UTC

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 30 Nov 2021 20:00:36 -0500, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:40:02 -0800 (PST), TimR
><timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have an older car used for short trips, 1999 Chevy.
>>
>>I passes inspection but is beginning to leave a mess with power steering fluid. I asked the mechanic and he topped it off, but the leak seems to be increasing.
>>
>>It's a small car, a Cavalier. Obviously I can't run it with the power steering broken, then I'm turning the wheels plus the power steering gear.
>
>I had a Chryler LeBaron. I had 3 in a row and this one was either the
>88 or the 95, and it had a leak, and I"d refill it and it got to the

It was the 88.

>point where it went empty in less than a week. Maybe 3 or 4 days.
>
>Sometimes I didn't fill it up even when I had no assist, and eventually
>I never filled it up, and it was barely any different from with fluid
>and powerS at any speed over 3 miles an hour. At 10 or 20 and above
>including 65 on the highway I couldn't tell any difference. At 2 mph, I

I take this back. There probably was a difference, but it was no trouble
at all to steer at speeds over 10mph. Very little trouble at speeds
over 3. When I drove the car over 3, I never thought, I really should
get this fixed. It was fine.

I drove without power steering for one or two years, and only had fluid
in it for about 9 days of the last year. Everything else leaked too,
but nowhere near as fast and I refilled them, and the engine ran great.

>had to pull some to turn it, and I suppose when it wasn't moving,
>turning the wheel would have been quite hard, but you're not supposed to
>do that anyhow because it's bad for the tires.
>
>>But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel? We grew up without power steering and it seems like a convenience I could do without, on an older car probably worth less than the price of a repair.
>
>I'd just stop refilling it and see how it goes.
>
>When it was a special occasion, like my birthday or the 4th of July or I
>needed to do a lot of low-speed steering, I filled it up again once or
>twice after running empty for months, and it worked as well as if it
>were new. Seriously. Otherwise I think I was empty for a year or more.
>
>Chrysler isn't the same as GM and maybe the Chrylser design, and the
>location of the leak, left enough in the pump to keep the pump from
>wearing out, and I guess you could ruin the pump, but maybe that is
>where the leak is anyhow. And if you're never going to repair it, it
>doesn't matter. And this way, when your feeble great grandmother wants
>to drive the car you can fill it up and she'll have powers for a few
>hours or days.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<so6icd$s29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14958&group=alt.home.repair#14958

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:15:55 -0800
 by: Bob F - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 01:15 UTC

On 11/30/2021 1:40 PM, TimR wrote:
> I have an older car used for short trips, 1999 Chevy.
>
> I passes inspection but is beginning to leave a mess with power steering fluid. I asked the mechanic and he topped it off, but the leak seems to be increasing.
>
> It's a small car, a Cavalier. Obviously I can't run it with the power steering broken, then I'm turning the wheels plus the power steering gear.
>
> But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel? We grew up without power steering and it seems like a convenience I could do without, on an older car probably worth less than the price of a repair.

I have never had a car that steered easily with the engine off -
coasting. You really have to put all you've got into it to make a
residential 90 degree corner, leaving little room for error.

Where is it leaking? Maybe it's an easy fix. Certainly, try a stop leak
product before you start disassembling things for your "fix". If you let
the pump run dry for long, the pump will quickly die, probably freezing
up, and then frying the belt that drives it. What will that take out next?

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<ecldqgpf01eqh27skjibr6gop8s5m4bedi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14964&group=alt.home.repair#14964

From: cla...@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 20:55:34 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 01:55 UTC

On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:38:22 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:40:02 -0800 (PST), TimR
><timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have an older car used for short trips, 1999 Chevy.
>>I passes inspection but is beginning to leave a mess with power steering fluid.
>>I asked the mechanic and he topped it off, but the leak seems to be increasing.
>>It's a small car, a Cavalier. Obviously I can't run it with the power steering broken,
>> then I'm turning the wheels plus the power steering gear.
>>But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel?
>> We grew up without power steering and it seems like a convenience
>>I could do without, on an older car probably worth less than the price of a repair.
>

>Many years ago I had good results after adding a power steering
> "stop leak" product in my old Mazda pickup. I was surprised - but
>it completely stopped the leak and lasted a couple years.
> Give it a try while you shop the wreckers for a replacement.
> John T.
I've seen the steering gear "shunted" - just connect a hose loop
from inlet to outlet to keep it from puking all the oil out and avoid
having to force the oil through the non-operative pump. Without
pressure it doesn't leak as fast. Still builds biceps though.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<l3mdqg5k0ulldrr3kq0dsmihj1qsuh0k3i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14967&group=alt.home.repair#14967

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 21:10:47 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 02:10 UTC

On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:15:55 -0800, Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:

>Where is it leaking? Maybe it's an easy fix. Certainly, try a stop leak
>product before you start disassembling things for your "fix". If you let
>the pump run dry for long, the pump will quickly die, probably freezing
>up, and then frying the belt that drives it. What will that take out next?

That would be my question. If it is just a hose it might be a cheap
fix and easy to do. Back in the olden days the return hose was a
common failure and they were real cheap since it was low pressure hose
(probably the cheapest thing GM could get to do the job).
A seal in the rack unit would be a deal killer for me. The pump could
go either way depending on the price.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<so6ore$sok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14974&group=alt.home.repair#14974

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 19:06:21 -0800
 by: Bob F - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 03:06 UTC

On 11/30/2021 5:55 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:38:22 -0500, hubops@ccanoemail.ca wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 13:40:02 -0800 (PST), TimR
>> <timothy42bach@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an older car used for short trips, 1999 Chevy.
>>> I passes inspection but is beginning to leave a mess with power steering fluid.
>>> I asked the mechanic and he topped it off, but the leak seems to be increasing.
>>> It's a small car, a Cavalier. Obviously I can't run it with the power steering broken,
>>> then I'm turning the wheels plus the power steering gear.
>>> But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel?
>>> We grew up without power steering and it seems like a convenience
>>> I could do without, on an older car probably worth less than the price of a repair.
>>

>> Many years ago I had good results after adding a power steering
>> "stop leak" product in my old Mazda pickup. I was surprised - but
>> it completely stopped the leak and lasted a couple years.
>> Give it a try while you shop the wreckers for a replacement.
>> John T.
> I've seen the steering gear "shunted" - just connect a hose loop
> from inlet to outlet to keep it from puking all the oil out and avoid
> having to force the oil through the non-operative pump. Without
> pressure it doesn't leak as fast. Still builds biceps though.

I was wondering about that. Nice to know it could work.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<j0obejFeig7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14979&group=alt.home.repair#14979

From: bow...@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 21:19:32 -0700
 by: rbowman - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 04:19 UTC

On 11/30/2021 02:40 PM, TimR wrote:
> But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel? We grew up without power steering and it seems like a convenience I could do without, on an older car probably worth less than the price of a repair.

It varied by manufacturer but the manual steering boxes had a ratio in
the 20:1 range where power steering was around 14:1. If you remember
the good old days you had to turn the wheel a lot farther because of the
slower ration.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<7r7eqg5sb1975ucepr9b9j9fk3rb0m14jj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14988&group=alt.home.repair#14988

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 02:12:10 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 07:12 UTC

On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 21:19:32 -0700, rbowman <bowman@montana.com>
wrote:

>On 11/30/2021 02:40 PM, TimR wrote:
>> But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel? We grew up without power steering and it seems like a convenience I could do without, on an older car probably worth less than the price of a repair.
>
>It varied by manufacturer but the manual steering boxes had a ratio in
>the 20:1 range where power steering was around 14:1. If you remember
>the good old days you had to turn the wheel a lot farther because of the
>slower ration.

I had that with my 69 Corvette. For some reason I ordered it without
power steering and it was like old times with the bicep thing. You
couldn't move the wheel unless it was rolling but you could move the
pivot on the steering arm to make it "Faster" and it was almost un
drivable even rolling. I moved it right back.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<d129dadb-7506-4367-9f0b-be605018daf0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15002&group=alt.home.repair#15002

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 06:54:39 -0800 (PST)
From: timothy4...@gmail.com (TimR)
 by: TimR - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 14:54 UTC

On Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 9:11:07 PM UTC-5, gfre...@aol.com wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:15:55 -0800, Bob F <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Where is it leaking? Maybe it's an easy fix. Certainly, try a stop leak
> >product before you start disassembling things for your "fix". If you let
> >the pump run dry for long, the pump will quickly die, probably freezing
> >up, and then frying the belt that drives it. What will that take out next?
> That would be my question. If it is just a hose it might be a cheap
> fix and easy to do. Back in the olden days the return hose was a
> common failure and they were real cheap since it was low pressure hose
> (probably the cheapest thing GM could get to do the job).
> A seal in the rack unit would be a deal killer for me. The pump could
> go either way depending on the price.

The return hose is wet, as is the pump. I can't get a good look at the rack but there's nothing on the supply hose, I'm going to take it in and hope for luck on the rack. It looks like a pain to get to even if I had a lift, I'm going to let the shop try.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<1b63cde6-c885-4dc3-9524-1efbfa6252cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15010&group=alt.home.repair#15010

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 09:24:03 -0800 (PST)
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 17:24 UTC

On Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 5:08:09 PM UTC-5, Marilyn Manson wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 4:40:05 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
> > I have an older car used for short trips, 1999 Chevy.
> >
> > I passes inspection but is beginning to leave a mess with power steering fluid.
> > I asked the mechanic and he topped it off, but the leak seems to be increasing.
> >
> > It's a small car, a Cavalier. Obviously I can't run it with the power steering broken,
> > then I'm turning the wheels plus the power steering gear.
> >
> > But can I just disconnect the pump and hoses and let it free wheel? We grew up without
> > power steering and it seems like a convenience I could do without, on an older car
> > probably worth less than the price of a repair.
> If any of this Google found stuff applies to a '99 Cavalier, then you might be in
> for a surprise:
>
> "Power steering that loses power assist is *far* harder to turn than manual steering
> with no assist. The steering ratio is faster with the PS too, and that increases
> effort when it loses assist."
>
> "A disengaged power steering will be a lot more harder to steer than a non
> power steering version."
>
> "If you want true non assist steering, you have to change the rack...or modify
> it by removing the piston and seals."
>
> One suggestion was to find a large empty parking lot, get up to 25 MPH and
> shut the car off. Now try to steer as the vehicle slows down. Do you like what
> you feel? (Be careful: mind your braking ability)

That's good advice that people should try. Also a good idea to find an empty lot
when there is some snow and get used to how anti-lock brakes work and feel.
IDK how power steering behaved in the early days, whether it was similar or there
has been slow increases in effort over time. But I think most people would be
shocked to see how much effort it takes, especially at low speed. When the fan
belt failed on the BMW X5, it took a lot of muscle to get it home, up the driveway,
forget about trying to get it in the garage or similar. I'm surprised there isn't a
record of a lot of accidents from a combination of surprise and weak people.
Another experiment is to turn off the ignition to the accessory position with the
car moving, then keep pumping the brakes until the vacuum is depleted. Again,
you'd be shocked at how much peddle pressure it takes to get the brakes to work
without the power assist.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<3e067a7a-59b5-4792-a73e-c80f1794f7d6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15011&group=alt.home.repair#15011

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 09:29:53 -0800 (PST)
From: trad...@optonline.net (trader_4)
 by: trader_4 - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 17:29 UTC

On Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 9:54:43 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 9:11:07 PM UTC-5, gfre...@aol.com wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:15:55 -0800, Bob F <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Where is it leaking? Maybe it's an easy fix. Certainly, try a stop leak
> > >product before you start disassembling things for your "fix". If you let
> > >the pump run dry for long, the pump will quickly die, probably freezing
> > >up, and then frying the belt that drives it. What will that take out next?
> > That would be my question. If it is just a hose it might be a cheap
> > fix and easy to do. Back in the olden days the return hose was a
> > common failure and they were real cheap since it was low pressure hose
> > (probably the cheapest thing GM could get to do the job).
> > A seal in the rack unit would be a deal killer for me. The pump could
> > go either way depending on the price.
> The return hose is wet, as is the pump. I can't get a good look at the rack but there's nothing on the supply hose, I'm going to take it in and hope for luck on the rack. It looks like a pain to get to even if I had a lift, I'm going to let the shop try.

If you can get access to it, wipe off the pump and hose near it. Then check
again later and you may be able to tell if it's just the hose.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<d20deca3-db4f-4f94-98c1-ba69ef9b8f36n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15019&group=alt.home.repair#15019

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 11:58:17 -0800 (PST)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 19:58 UTC

On Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 12:29:57 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 9:54:43 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

> > > That would be my question. If it is just a hose it might be a cheap
> > > fix and easy to do. Back in the olden days the return hose was a
> > > common failure and they were real cheap since it was low pressure hose
> > > (probably the cheapest thing GM could get to do the job).
> > > A seal in the rack unit would be a deal killer for me. The pump could
> > > go either way depending on the price.
> > The return hose is wet, as is the pump. I can't get a good look at the rack but there's nothing on the supply hose, I'm going to take it in and hope for luck on the rack. It looks like a pain to get to even if I had a lift, I'm going to let the shop try.
> If you can get access to it, wipe off the pump and hose near it. Then check
> again later and you may be able to tell if it's just the hose.

Or steam clean it. I borrowed one of these a few months ago and it did
a great job of cleaning up my engine/engine bay. I may ask for one for
Christmas.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G00BT72

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<so8qb4$eci$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=15024&group=alt.home.repair#15024

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 13:44:05 -0800
 by: Bob F - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 21:44 UTC

On 12/1/2021 6:54 AM, TimR wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 9:11:07 PM UTC-5, gfre...@aol.com wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:15:55 -0800, Bob F <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Where is it leaking? Maybe it's an easy fix. Certainly, try a stop leak
>>> product before you start disassembling things for your "fix". If you let
>>> the pump run dry for long, the pump will quickly die, probably freezing
>>> up, and then frying the belt that drives it. What will that take out next?
>> That would be my question. If it is just a hose it might be a cheap
>> fix and easy to do. Back in the olden days the return hose was a
>> common failure and they were real cheap since it was low pressure hose
>> (probably the cheapest thing GM could get to do the job).
>> A seal in the rack unit would be a deal killer for me. The pump could
>> go either way depending on the price.
>
> The return hose is wet, as is the pump. I can't get a good look at the rack but there's nothing on the supply hose, I'm going to take it in and hope for luck on the rack. It looks like a pain to get to even if I had a lift, I'm going to let the shop try.

The return hose goes up to the pump, right? So the leak is probably at
or near the pump. That's likely a cheap hose fix.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<b9d8c6cd-3b2f-4928-aaa4-62da5bcbb3d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16504&group=alt.home.repair#16504

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 05:46:32 -0800 (PST)
From: timothy4...@gmail.com (TimR)
 by: TimR - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 13:46 UTC

On Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 4:44:10 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
> On 12/1/2021 6:54 AM, TimR wrote:

> >> That would be my question. If it is just a hose it might be a cheap
> >> fix and easy to do. Back in the olden days the return hose was a
> >> common failure and they were real cheap since it was low pressure hose
> >> (probably the cheapest thing GM could get to do the job).
> >> A seal in the rack unit would be a deal killer for me. The pump could
> >> go either way depending on the price.
> >
> > The return hose is wet, as is the pump. I can't get a good look at the rack but there's nothing on the supply hose, I'm going to take it in and hope for luck on the rack. It looks like a pain to get to even if I had a lift, I'm going to let the shop try.
> >
> The return hose goes up to the pump, right? So the leak is probably at
> or near the pump. That's likely a cheap hose fix.

The repair shop replaced the hose. The cost was reasonable. I think I was lucky this time.

Re: Disconnect power steering?

<399e7ef4-ec40-47dc-a906-4e0eac44d554n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=16507&group=alt.home.repair#16507

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 08:30:06 -0800 (PST)
From: comawhit...@gmail.com (Marilyn Manson)
 by: Marilyn Manson - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 16:30 UTC

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 8:46:35 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 4:44:10 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

> > > The return hose is wet, as is the pump. I can't get a good look at the rack but there's nothing on the supply hose, I'm going to take it in and hope for luck on the rack. It looks like a pain to get to even if I had a lift, I'm going to let the shop try.
> > >
> > The return hose goes up to the pump, right? So the leak is probably at
> > or near the pump. That's likely a cheap hose fix.
> The repair shop replaced the hose. The cost was reasonable. I think I was lucky this time.

Good for you! Thanks for letting us know.

interests / alt.home.repair / Disconnect power steering?