From: anf...@wp.eu (A. Filip)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: "Small" USA internet troll farm v. PRC [Reuters]
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:13:51 +0100
sha1:e3PWkgsLmjv4b8iOPEFRAo9dHWU=
 by: A. Filip - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 14:13 UTC

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/24/03/14/2315243/cia-used-chinese-social-media-in-covert-influence-operation-against-xi-jinpings-government

--
| "Calling J-Man Kink. Calling J-Man Kink. Hash missile sighted,
| target Los Angeles. Disregard personal feelings about city and
| intercept." (The Firesign Theatre movie, _J-Men Forever_)

Re: "Small" USA internet troll farm v. PRC [Reuters]

<1710516794.89860@nyx2.nyx.net>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14713&group=soc.culture.china#14713

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: "Small" USA internet troll farm v. PRC [Reuters]
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
Originator: bmoore@nyx.net (bmoore)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:33:14 +0000
 by: bmoore - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:33 UTC

In article <anfi+f7nhhqgawf-o3f5@wp.eu>, A. Filip <anfi@wp.eu> wrote:
>https://yro.slashdot.org/story/24/03/14/2315243/cia-used-chinese-social-media-in-covert-influence-operation-against-xi-jinpings-government
>> […] Two years into office, President Donald Trump authorized the Central
>> Intelligence Agency to launch a clandestine campaign on Chinese
>> social media aimed at turning public opinion in China against its
>> government, according to former U.S. officials with direct knowledge
>> of the highly classified operation. Three former officials told
>> Reuters that the CIA created a small team of operatives who used
>> bogus internet identities to spread negative narratives about Xi
>> Jinping's government while leaking disparaging intelligence to
>> overseas news outlets. The effort, which began in 2019, has not been
>> previously reported. […]
>> [SRC-0] https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-launched-cia-covert-influence-operation-against-china-2024-03-14/
>> > Exclusive: Trump launched CIA covert influence operation against China
>> > March 14, 20245:18 PM GMT+1Updated 13 hours ago

Interesting, but almost certainly miniscule compared to PRC troll farms.

Re: "Small" USA internet troll farm v. PRC [Reuters]

<anfi+1jr1vlujef-o3f5@wp.eu>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14714&group=soc.culture.china#14714

From: anf...@wp.eu (A. Filip)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:30:14 +0100
sha1:NYqiMUNK4vXydOxyFzGuQeRkHWA=
 by: A. Filip - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 17:30 UTC

bmoore@nyx.net (bmoore) wrote:
> In article <anfi+f7nhhqgawf-o3f5@wp.eu>, A. Filip <anfi@wp.eu> wrote:
>>https://yro.slashdot.org/story/24/03/14/2315243/cia-used-chinese-social-media-in-covert-influence-operation-against-xi-jinpings-government
>>> […] Two years into office, President Donald Trump authorized the Central
>>> Intelligence Agency to launch a clandestine campaign on Chinese
>>> social media aimed at turning public opinion in China against its
>>> government, according to former U.S. officials with direct knowledge
>>> of the highly classified operation. Three former officials told
>>> Reuters that the CIA created a small team of operatives who used
>>> bogus internet identities to spread negative narratives about Xi
>>> Jinping's government while leaking disparaging intelligence to
>>> overseas news outlets. The effort, which began in 2019, has not been
>>> previously reported. […]
>>> [SRC-0] https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-launched-cia-covert-influence-operation-against-china-2024-03-14/
>
> Interesting, but almost certainly miniscule compared to PRC troll farms.

Do you dare suggest mere Russian/Chinese trolls' quality?
I do not. Quality of supporting organizations must make huge difference.
I am 100% sure that USA trolls had been not low wage competitive (cheap).
I am sure they were capable to deliver effects worth money anyway.

--
A. Filip
| "A mind is a terrible thing to have leaking out your ears."
| (The League of Sadistic Telepaths)

Re: "Small" USA internet troll farm v. PRC [Reuters]

<1710701302.969601@nyx2.nyx.net>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14724&group=soc.culture.china#14724

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
Originator: bmoore@nyx.net (bmoore)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 18:48:23 +0000
 by: bmoore - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 18:48 UTC

In article <anfi+1jr1vlujef-o3f5@wp.eu>, A. Filip <anfi@wp.eu> wrote:
>bmoore@nyx.net (bmoore) wrote:
>> In article <anfi+f7nhhqgawf-o3f5@wp.eu>, A. Filip <anfi@wp.eu> wrote:
>>>https://yro.slashdot.org/story/24/03/14/2315243/cia-used-chinese-social-media-in-covert-influence-operation-against-xi-jinpings-government
>>
>> Interesting, but almost certainly miniscule compared to PRC troll farms.
>
>Do you dare suggest mere Russian/Chinese trolls' quality?

China and Russia are nastier than the US.

>I do not. Quality of supporting organizations must make huge difference.
>I am 100% sure that USA trolls had been not low wage competitive (cheap).
>I am sure they were capable to deliver effects worth money anyway.

Why so sure?

Re: "Small" USA internet troll farm v. PRC [Reuters]

<anfi+hxfsdlm3pf-o3h0@wp.eu>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14725&group=soc.culture.china#14725

From: anf...@wp.eu (A. Filip)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 20:46:44 +0100
sha1:E3+siOonM8S7fjSX30yx31752tI=
 by: A. Filip - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 19:46 UTC

bmoore@nyx.net (bmoore) wrote:
> In article <anfi+1jr1vlujef-o3f5@wp.eu>, A. Filip <anfi@wp.eu> wrote:
>>bmoore@nyx.net (bmoore) wrote:
>>> Interesting, but almost certainly miniscule compared to PRC troll farms.
>>
>>Do you dare suggest mere Russian/Chinese trolls' quality?
>
> China and Russia are nastier than the US.
> […]

Effectiveness stupid!.

--
| The function of the expert is not to be more right than other
| people, but to be wrong for more sophisticated reasons.
| (Dr. David Butler, British psephologist)

Re: "Small" USA internet troll farm v. PRC [Reuters]

<1710711660.23350@nyx2.nyx.net>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14726&group=soc.culture.china#14726

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
Originator: bmoore@nyx.net (bmoore)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 21:41:00 +0000
 by: bmoore - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 21:41 UTC

In article <anfi+hxfsdlm3pf-o3h0@wp.eu>, A. Filip <anfi@wp.eu> wrote:
>bmoore@nyx.net (bmoore) wrote:
>[…]
>>>
>>>Do you dare suggest mere Russian/Chinese trolls' quality?
>>
>> China and Russia are nastier than the US.
>> […]
>
>Effectiveness stupid!.

OK, LT Lee is gone. He was a fool, a syncophant for the CCP. The truth of the way the PRC persecutes dissent must be addressed before
any kind of real comparison between the US and China can be discussed. Facts supersede propaganda. False equivalence stinks.