When it's dark enough you can see the stars. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson,

interests / soc.culture.china / RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

SubjectAuthor
* RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)ltlee1
+* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwbmoore
|`* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwltlee1
| `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwbmoore
|  `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwltlee1
|   `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwbmoore
|    `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwltlee1
|     `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwbmoore
|      `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwltlee1
|       `- Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwbmoore
`* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwltlee1
 +- Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwbmoore
 `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwltlee1
  +* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwbmoore
  |`* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwltlee1
  | `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwbmoore
  |  `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwltlee1
  |   `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwbmoore
  |    `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwltlee1
  |     `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwbmoore
  |      `* Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwltlee1
  |       `- Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwbmoore
  `- Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwltlee1

1
RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<3eeed598-506e-4510-b281-127d6579aaf2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14311&group=soc.culture.china#14311

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 12:51:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in
ROC (Taiwan)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 20:51 UTC

"Although Taiwan is a mature democracy, there are still things to watch in the final days before the election.

1. Will there be another “Mayday” incident to influence voters? Some voters doubt the accuracy of the allegations that the mainland attempted to force rock band Mayday to make a statement that they support Taiwan’s unification with China. Days after this incident made the news, we only know that anonymous Taiwan officials made this claim to foreign media, and, China has denied it. The Taiwan government should either produce the evidence that China tried to blackmail Mayday, or, if the entire incident is fake news meant to interfere in the election, the persons behind it and the foreign media that published the story should apologize.

The Mayday incident reminds many of the Wang Liqiang incident in the weeks prior to the 2020 election. Four years later, Wang’s allegations that he was paid to interfere in Taiwan’s election have yet to be proven, and Wang’s alleged “spy boss” Xiang Xin was not convicted of any crimes in Taiwan despite Taiwan authorities desperate efforts over four years.

It is unfortunate that some people think it is OK to make false allegations of China’s interference in order to win votes. Hopefully, this kind of incident will not occur again in the final week before the election.
3. Will the United States government intervene? In an interview published on January 5, 2024, US National Security Council Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby said the US hopes for free, fair and transparent elections in Taiwan.

Although this author believes the United States has made it abundantly clear throughout the election campaign that the U.S. prefers William Lai of the Democratic Progressive Party is elected president, hopefully in the final days before the election no US government officials makes additional statements about the Taiwan election that might be election interference.

4. Will United States scholars or former government officials intervene? At least one U.S. scholar, Bonnie Glaser, has already played a controversial role in the election campaign. Will a prominent American arrive in Taiwan this week to influence voters? Will scholars in the U.S. say things that indicate support for William Lai? ..."

https://www.chinatimes.com/opinion/20240106002820-262104?chdtv

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<f8ba2eee-e18a-41ce-8679-fc08f8c4aeb7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14315&group=soc.culture.china#14315

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:09:21 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 02:09 UTC

On Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at 12:51:10 PM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> "Although Taiwan is a mature democracy, there are still things to watch in the final days before the election.
>
> 1. Will there be another “Mayday” incident to influence voters? Some voters doubt the accuracy of the allegations that the mainland attempted to force rock band Mayday to make a statement that they support Taiwan’s unification with China. Days after this incident made the news, we only know that anonymous Taiwan officials made this claim to foreign media, and, China has denied it. The Taiwan government should either produce the evidence that China tried to blackmail Mayday, or, if the entire incident is fake news meant to interfere in the election, the persons behind it and the foreign media that published the story should apologize.
>
> The Mayday incident reminds many of the Wang Liqiang incident in the weeks prior to the 2020 election. Four years later, Wang’s allegations that he was paid to interfere in Taiwan’s election have yet to be proven, and Wang’s alleged “spy boss” Xiang Xin was not convicted of any crimes in Taiwan despite Taiwan authorities desperate efforts over four years.
>
> It is unfortunate that some people think it is OK to make false allegations of China’s interference in order to win votes. Hopefully, this kind of incident will not occur again in the final week before the election.
> 3. Will the United States government intervene? In an interview published on January 5, 2024, US National Security Council Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby said the US hopes for free, fair and transparent elections in Taiwan.
>
> Although this author believes the United States has made it abundantly clear throughout the election campaign that the U.S. prefers William Lai of the Democratic Progressive Party is elected president, hopefully in the final days before the election no US government officials makes additional statements about the Taiwan election that might be election interference.
>
> 4. Will United States scholars or former government officials intervene? At least one U.S. scholar, Bonnie Glaser, has already played a controversial role in the election campaign. Will a prominent American arrive in Taiwan this week to influence voters? Will scholars in the U.S. say things that indicate support for William Lai? ..."
>
> https://www.chinatimes.com/opinion/20240106002820-262104?chdtv

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Times

Since China Times was bought by the pro-China Taiwanese businessman tycoon Tsai Eng-Meng, head of Want Want Holdings Limited, in 2008, the Times has veered into an editorial stance more sympathetic to the positions of the Chinese Communist Party.[10] It has since been criticized of being "very biased" in favor of positive news about the Chinese government.[11] In a 2020 interview with Stand News, an anonymous Times journalist described the editorial stance of the paper as having changed completely after Tsai's acquisition. The interviewed journalist said the newspaper mandated the use of vocabulary that supports the PRC's positions on Taiwan, and prevented its reporters from covering topics that may be seen as against the Chinese government, such as issues involving the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests and massacre. Tsai himself has openly admitted to airing commercials from PRC authorities.[12]

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<4ca17cee-91d2-4c6b-b5d7-dc1c651dd250n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14317&group=soc.culture.china#14317

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 05:16:22 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 13:16 UTC

On Wednesday, January 10, 2024 at 9:09:23 PM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:
> [...]
>
> Since China Times was bought by the pro-China Taiwanese businessman tycoon Tsai Eng-Meng, head of Want Want Holdings Limited, in 2008, the Times has veered into an editorial stance more sympathetic to the positions of the Chinese Communist Party.[10] It has since been criticized of being "very biased" in favor of positive news about the Chinese government.[11] In a 2020 interview with Stand News, an anonymous Times journalist described the editorial stance of the paper as having changed completely after Tsai's acquisition. The interviewed journalist said the newspaper mandated the use of vocabulary that supports the PRC's positions on Taiwan, and prevented its reporters from covering topics that may be seen as against the Chinese government, such as issues involving the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests and massacre. Tsai himself has openly admitted to airing commercials from PRC authorities.[12]

If you want to discuss RossFeingold's commentary, be specific.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<d2e86ceb-3ef6-44dd-996c-d3396e26ef1fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14321&group=soc.culture.china#14321

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 09:31:07 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 17:31 UTC

On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 5:16:25 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> [...]
> If you want to discuss RossFeingold's commentary, be specific.

Point is that China Times is not trustworthy on the topic of Taiwan.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<734a267f-cfaf-4bb8-a682-319b95cae315n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14322&group=soc.culture.china#14322

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:06:43 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 18:06 UTC

On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 12:31:09 PM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:
> On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 5:16:25 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Times
> > >
> > > Since China Times was bought by the pro-China Taiwanese businessman tycoon Tsai Eng-Meng, head of Want Want Holdings Limited, in 2008, the Times has veered into an editorial stance more sympathetic to the positions of the Chinese Communist Party.[10] It has since been criticized of being "very biased" in favor of positive news about the Chinese government.[11] In a 2020 interview with Stand News, an anonymous Times journalist described the editorial stance of the paper as having changed completely after Tsai's acquisition. The interviewed journalist said the newspaper mandated the use of vocabulary that supports the PRC's positions on Taiwan, and prevented its reporters from covering topics that may be seen as against the Chinese government, such as issues involving the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests and massacre. Tsai himself has openly admitted to airing commercials from PRC authorities.[12]
> > If you want to discuss RossFeingold's commentary, be specific.

> Point is that China Times is not trustworthy on the topic of Taiwan.

Whose point of view according to what criteria?
Feel free to start a thread on why certain Taiwanese publication is not trustworthy on the topic of Taiwan.

Or simply use Feingold's article to make your point that Chinatimes is not trustworthy.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<4cf4cdd8-15bd-4c6b-9d6f-7d2214c95f02n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14333&group=soc.culture.china#14333

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 14:41:52 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 22:41 UTC

On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 10:06:44 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 12:31:09 PM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:

> > > If you want to discuss RossFeingold's commentary, be specific.
>
> > Point is that China Times is not trustworthy on the topic of Taiwan.
> Whose point of view according to what criteria?
> Feel free to start a thread on why certain Taiwanese publication is not trustworthy on the topic of Taiwan.
>
> Or simply use Feingold's article to make your point that Chinatimes is not trustworthy.

I didn't "simply use Feingold's article to make [the] point that Chinatimes is not trustworthy". You are making things up again. The China Times is not trustworthy since being taken over by a PRC yes-man.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<c432ba15-82e3-4161-8b0e-dfdfb98f9b38n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14334&group=soc.culture.china#14334

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:33:06 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 00:33 UTC

On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 5:41:55 PM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:
> On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 10:06:44 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > Point is that China Times is not trustworthy on the topic of Taiwan.
> > Whose point of view according to what criteria?
> > Feel free to start a thread on why certain Taiwanese publication is not trustworthy on the topic of Taiwan.
> >
> > Or simply use Feingold's article to make your point that Chinatimes is not trustworthy.
> I didn't "simply use Feingold's article to make [the] point that Chinatimes is not trustworthy". You are making things up again. The China Times is not trustworthy since being taken over by a PRC yes-man.

I did not say you had used Feingold's article to make the point that Chinatimes is not trustworthy.
You can't. I know that. If one is to make a point, Feingold's article is excellent and Chinatimes (ROC)
is the right platform. Feingold knows Western Democracy and he also know ROC (Taiwan) and its
democracy very well.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<e292d00a-f82f-427c-89a3-15ee41522f10n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14340&group=soc.culture.china#14340

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 07:51:33 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:51 UTC

On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 4:33:08 PM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 5:41:55 PM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:

> > > Whose point of view according to what criteria?
> > > Feel free to start a thread on why certain Taiwanese publication is not trustworthy on the topic of Taiwan.
> > >
> > > Or simply use Feingold's article to make your point that Chinatimes is not trustworthy.
> > I didn't "simply use Feingold's article to make [the] point that Chinatimes is not trustworthy". You are making things up again. The China Times is not trustworthy since being taken over by a PRC yes-man.
> I did not say you had used Feingold's article to make the point that Chinatimes is not trustworthy.
> You can't. I know that. If one is to make a point, Feingold's article is excellent and Chinatimes (ROC)
> is the right platform. Feingold knows Western Democracy and he also know ROC (Taiwan) and its
> democracy very well.

But he doesn't seem to understand the devious PRC tricks the way some do.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<e9ebb9ea-01b2-4fcd-b4c0-b30f64246f36n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14342&group=soc.culture.china#14342

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 10:33:02 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 18:33 UTC

On Saturday, January 13, 2024 at 10:51:36 AM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:
> On Friday, January 12, 2024 at 4:33:08 PM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > I didn't "simply use Feingold's article to make [the] point that Chinatimes is not trustworthy". You are making things up again. The China Times is not trustworthy since being taken over by a PRC yes-man.
> > I did not say you had used Feingold's article to make the point that Chinatimes is not trustworthy.
> > You can't. I know that. If one is to make a point, Feingold's article is excellent and Chinatimes (ROC)
> > is the right platform. Feingold knows Western Democracy and he also know ROC (Taiwan) and its
> > democracy very well.
> But he doesn't seem to understand the devious PRC tricks the way some do.

Sounds like you don't know much about the ROC (Taiwan) and its democracy which leads to decadence.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<083120d1-b822-44ee-b0f5-82097e9b5bbfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14343&group=soc.culture.china#14343

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 11:23:19 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 19:23 UTC

On Tuesday, January 9, 2024 at 3:51:10 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> "Although Taiwan is a mature democracy, there are still things to watch in the final days before the election.
>
> 1. Will there be another “Mayday” incident to influence voters? Some voters doubt the accuracy of the allegations that the mainland attempted to force rock band Mayday to make a statement that they support Taiwan’s unification with China. Days after this incident made the news, we only know that anonymous Taiwan officials made this claim to foreign media, and, China has denied it. The Taiwan government should either produce the evidence that China tried to blackmail Mayday, or, if the entire incident is fake news meant to interfere in the election, the persons behind it and the foreign media that published the story should apologize.
>
> The Mayday incident reminds many of the Wang Liqiang incident in the weeks prior to the 2020 election. Four years later, Wang’s allegations that he was paid to interfere in Taiwan’s election have yet to be proven, and Wang’s alleged “spy boss” Xiang Xin was not convicted of any crimes in Taiwan despite Taiwan authorities desperate efforts over four years.
>
> It is unfortunate that some people think it is OK to make false allegations of China’s interference in order to win votes. Hopefully, this kind of incident will not occur again in the final week before the election.
> 3. Will the United States government intervene? In an interview published on January 5, 2024, US National Security Council Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby said the US hopes for free, fair and transparent elections in Taiwan.
>
> Although this author believes the United States has made it abundantly clear throughout the election campaign that the U.S. prefers William Lai of the Democratic Progressive Party is elected president, hopefully in the final days before the election no US government officials makes additional statements about the Taiwan election that might be election interference.
>
> 4. Will United States scholars or former government officials intervene? At least one U.S. scholar, Bonnie Glaser, has already played a controversial role in the election campaign. Will a prominent American arrive in Taiwan this week to influence voters? Will scholars in the U.S. say things that indicate support for William Lai? ..."
>
> https://www.chinatimes.com/opinion/20240106002820-262104?chdtv

Ross Feingold has been a Chinatimes commentators writing with a Chinese name (方恩格) for years.
His articles, targeting Chinese (ROC) readers, are published in both Chinese and English. I have no
has no idea whether he got paid for his comments. I don't think his comments are syndicated. My take,
he writes to express his American view for ROC Chinese, an American insider to other ROC insiders on
ROC happening.

For those who don't read beyond for-profit US media, his article demand some thinking. For example,

"Although foreign journalists and foreign scholars often describe Taiwan as a “vibrant democracy”, this
author prefers “mature democracy” because Taiwan’s democracy long ago passed from a “vibrant” stage
to a “mature” stage."

What is the difference between vibrant and mature?
Well, one is objectivity. Vibrant is subjective. Mature reflects the years of ROC voting. Of course
a mature old man could not really present himself as a vibrant and lively young man. However,
a mature democracy could elect a toddler as president if the voters choose to do so. For instance,
Trump was portrayed as America's "Toddler in Chief" by author Daniel W. Drezner.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<b7f5ee89-1772-4fb5-9916-1d4037202f4fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14344&group=soc.culture.china#14344

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 11:36:55 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 19:36 UTC

On Saturday, January 13, 2024 at 10:33:04 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Saturday, January 13, 2024 at 10:51:36 AM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:

> > > I did not say you had used Feingold's article to make the point that Chinatimes is not trustworthy.
> > > You can't. I know that. If one is to make a point, Feingold's article is excellent and Chinatimes (ROC)
> > > is the right platform. Feingold knows Western Democracy and he also know ROC (Taiwan) and its
> > > democracy very well.
> > But he doesn't seem to understand the devious PRC tricks the way some do.
> Sounds like you don't know much about the ROC (Taiwan) and its democracy which leads to decadence.

Pretty clear the PRC was trying to influence Taiwan's election. But the Taiwanese weren't fooled by the PRC's attempts to manipulate.

Subject of this thread is who tried to manipulate Taiwan's election. PRC did, so let's not try to manipulate this thread by going after US and try to

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<d1912d84-cfc7-45ba-89f7-c90ba1892de2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14345&group=soc.culture.china#14345

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 12:20:26 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 20:20 UTC

On Saturday, January 13, 2024 at 11:23:21 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > https://www.chinatimes.com/opinion/20240106002820-262104?chdtv
> Ross Feingold has been a Chinatimes commentators writing with a Chinese name (方恩格) for years.
> His articles, targeting Chinese (ROC) readers, are published in both Chinese and English. I have no
> has no idea whether he got paid for his comments. I don't think his comments are syndicated. My take,
> he writes to express his American view for ROC Chinese, an American insider to other ROC insiders on
> ROC happening.
>
> For those who don't read beyond for-profit US media, his article demand some thinking. For example,

How insulting. I have studied Chinese culture and politics for decades. Shortcomings of Taiwanese democracy, real or perceived, in no way justify PRC attempts to destroy it.

> "Although foreign journalists and foreign scholars often describe Taiwan as a “vibrant democracy”, this
> author prefers “mature democracy” because Taiwan’s democracy long ago passed from a “vibrant” stage
> to a “mature” stage."
>
> What is the difference between vibrant and mature?
> Well, one is objectivity. Vibrant is subjective. Mature reflects the years of ROC voting. Of course
> a mature old man could not really present himself as a vibrant and lively young man. However,
> a mature democracy could elect a toddler as president if the voters choose to do so. For instance,
> Trump was portrayed as America's "Toddler in Chief" by author Daniel W. Drezner.

Yeah, a messed up people could elect a moron.

The PRC dictatorship is not a democracy, but they are bullies. Not debatable.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<3644a41e-e9d9-43a3-a85e-dedbb601773an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14351&group=soc.culture.china#14351

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 07:15:09 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:15 UTC

On Saturday, January 13, 2024 at 2:23:21 PM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:
> [...]
> ROC happening.
>
> For those who don't read beyond for-profit US media, his article demand some thinking. For example,
>
> "Although foreign journalists and foreign scholars often describe Taiwan as a “vibrant democracy”, this
> author prefers “mature democracy” because Taiwan’s democracy long ago passed from a “vibrant” stage
> to a “mature” stage."
>
> What is the difference between vibrant and mature?
> Well, one is objectivity. Vibrant is subjective. Mature reflects the years of ROC voting. Of course
> a mature old man could not really present himself as a vibrant and lively young man. However,
> a mature democracy could elect a toddler as president if the voters choose to do so. For instance,
> Trump was portrayed as America's "Toddler in Chief" by author Daniel W. Drezner.

Feingold also lamented that It was unfortunate that some people think some in the DPP governemnt
was OK to make false allegations of China’s interference in order to win votes. Again, it reflects
persistant poor economic performance. Playing the China card which included frequent false
accusation, has become the standard procedure to garner votes from a fraction of the populace. Of
course, such election tactic is signs of mature but not vibrant democracy.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<9a4a17ae-122e-4ca0-a86d-74f17ddce97an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14358&group=soc.culture.china#14358

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 08:03:27 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 16:03 UTC

On Sunday, January 14, 2024 at 7:15:12 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> [...]
> > Well, one is objectivity. Vibrant is subjective. Mature reflects the years of ROC voting. Of course
> > a mature old man could not really present himself as a vibrant and lively young man. However,
> > a mature democracy could elect a toddler as president if the voters choose to do so. For instance,
> > Trump was portrayed as America's "Toddler in Chief" by author Daniel W. Drezner.
> Feingold also lamented that It was unfortunate that some people think some in the DPP governemnt
> was OK to make false allegations of China’s interference in order to win votes. Again, it reflects
> persistant poor economic performance. Playing the China card which included frequent false
> accusation, has become the standard procedure to garner votes from a fraction of the populace. Of
> course, such election tactic is signs of mature but not vibrant democracy..

But at least some of the allegations are true.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/11/taiwan-hits-back-at-china-for-repeated-interference-in-upcoming-elections

“I sincerely hope the majority of Taiwan compatriots recognise the extreme harm of the DPP’s ‘Taiwan independence’ line and the extreme danger of Lai Ching-te’s triggering of cross-Strait confrontation and conflict, and to make the right choice at the crossroads of cross-Strait relations,” said China’s Taiwan Affairs Office in a statement.

If elected, Lai would further promote separatist activities towards the “evil path” of independence, the statement said.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<32c723e0-2f26-4e0e-acfd-0a59d5726316n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14362&group=soc.culture.china#14362

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 07:08:31 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:08 UTC

On Monday, January 15, 2024 at 11:03:29 AM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:
> On Sunday, January 14, 2024 at 7:15:12 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > Ross Feingold has been a Chinatimes commentators writing with a Chinese name (方恩格) for years.
> > > His articles, targeting Chinese (ROC) readers, are published in both Chinese and English. I have no
> > > has no idea whether he got paid for his comments. I don't think his comments are syndicated. My take,
> > > he writes to express his American view for ROC Chinese, an American insider to other ROC insiders on
> > > ROC happening.
> > >
> > > For those who don't read beyond for-profit US media, his article demand some thinking. For example,
> > >
> > > "Although foreign journalists and foreign scholars often describe Taiwan as a “vibrant democracy”, this
> > > author prefers “mature democracy” because Taiwan’s democracy long ago passed from a “vibrant” stage
> > > to a “mature” stage."
> > >
> > > What is the difference between vibrant and mature?
> > > Well, one is objectivity. Vibrant is subjective. Mature reflects the years of ROC voting. Of course
> > > a mature old man could not really present himself as a vibrant and lively young man. However,
> > > a mature democracy could elect a toddler as president if the voters choose to do so. For instance,
> > > Trump was portrayed as America's "Toddler in Chief" by author Daniel W. Drezner.
> > Feingold also lamented that It was unfortunate that some people think some in the DPP governemnt
> > was OK to make false allegations of China’s interference in order to win votes. Again, it reflects
> > persistant poor economic performance. Playing the China card which included frequent false
> > accusation, has become the standard procedure to garner votes from a fraction of the populace. Of
> > course, such election tactic is signs of mature but not vibrant democracy.
> But at least some of the allegations are true.
>
> https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/11/taiwan-hits-back-at-china-for-repeated-interference-in-upcoming-elections
>
> “I sincerely hope the majority of Taiwan compatriots recognise the extreme harm of the DPP’s ‘Taiwan independence’ line and the extreme danger of Lai Ching-te’s triggering of cross-Strait confrontation and conflict, and to make the right choice at the crossroads of cross-Strait relations,” said China’s Taiwan Affairs Office in a statement.
>
> If elected, Lai would further promote separatist activities towards the “evil path” of independence, the statement said.

Sounds like you still don't the basics.
As an analogy: What's wrong with liberal Californians trying to ask Iowans not vote for Trump?

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<ae8a1711-7f39-41dd-ab9e-71ef8942f978n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14364&group=soc.culture.china#14364

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 07:47:14 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:47 UTC

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 7:08:33 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Monday, January 15, 2024 at 11:03:29 AM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:

> > > Feingold also lamented that It was unfortunate that some people think some in the DPP governemnt
> > > was OK to make false allegations of China’s interference in order to win votes. Again, it reflects
> > > persistant poor economic performance. Playing the China card which included frequent false
> > > accusation, has become the standard procedure to garner votes from a fraction of the populace. Of
> > > course, such election tactic is signs of mature but not vibrant democracy.
> > But at least some of the allegations are true.
> >
> > https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/11/taiwan-hits-back-at-china-for-repeated-interference-in-upcoming-elections
> >
> > “I sincerely hope the majority of Taiwan compatriots recognise the extreme harm of the DPP’s ‘Taiwan independence’ line and the extreme danger of Lai Ching-te’s triggering of cross-Strait confrontation and conflict, and to make the right choice at the crossroads of cross-Strait relations,” said China’s Taiwan Affairs Office in a statement.
> >
> > If elected, Lai would further promote separatist activities towards the “evil path” of independence, the statement said.
> Sounds like you still don't the basics.

What are the basics?

> As an analogy: What's wrong with liberal Californians trying to ask Iowans not vote for Trump?

But they are voting in the same election.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<60278b5e-065d-42a2-b8b7-bde901730995n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14365&group=soc.culture.china#14365

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:55:44 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:55 UTC

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 10:47:15 AM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 7:08:33 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > But at least some of the allegations are true.
> > >
> > > https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/11/taiwan-hits-back-at-china-for-repeated-interference-in-upcoming-elections
> > >
> > > “I sincerely hope the majority of Taiwan compatriots recognise the extreme harm of the DPP’s ‘Taiwan independence’ line and the extreme danger of Lai Ching-te’s triggering of cross-Strait confrontation and conflict, and to make the right choice at the crossroads of cross-Strait relations,” said China’s Taiwan Affairs Office in a statement.
> > >
> > > If elected, Lai would further promote separatist activities towards the “evil path” of independence, the statement said.
> > Sounds like you still don't the basics.
> What are the basics?
> > As an analogy: What's wrong with liberal Californians trying to ask Iowans not vote for Trump?
> But they are voting in the same election.

The basic fact is that both mainlanders and Taiwan islanders are one Chinse people according
to both the ROC and the PROC constitutions. ROC election is therefore this one Chinese people's
internal affairs just like whether Trump would win is supposedly one American people's
internal affair. Whether Californian democrats could vote in Iowa is irrelevant.
ROC officials could disagree with PROC officials. But that is not new.

Please reread Ross Feingold's article and decdide whether you or him is ignorant.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<b947c084-b9c7-47df-a575-9e2226af693en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14366&group=soc.culture.china#14366

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:05:56 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:05 UTC

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 8:55:46 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 10:47:15 AM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:

> > > Sounds like you still don't the basics.
> > What are the basics?
> > > As an analogy: What's wrong with liberal Californians trying to ask Iowans not vote for Trump?
> > But they are voting in the same election.
> The basic fact is that both mainlanders and Taiwan islanders are one Chinse people according
> to both the ROC and the PROC constitutions. ROC election is therefore this one Chinese people's
> internal affairs just like whether Trump would win is supposedly one American people's
> internal affair. Whether Californian democrats could vote in Iowa is irrelevant.
> ROC officials could disagree with PROC officials. But that is not new.
>
> Please reread Ross Feingold's article and decdide whether you or him is ignorant.

1C2S. One system should not interfere with the other.

And given the PRC's track record and broken promises in HK, why should the Taiwanese accept the interference anyway? That would be true ignorance.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<a12baf36-5748-4907-aa86-e54376f7af7an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14367&group=soc.culture.china#14367

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 10:39:19 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 18:39 UTC

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 12:05:58 PM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 8:55:46 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > What are the basics?
> > > But they are voting in the same election.
> > The basic fact is that both mainlanders and Taiwan islanders are one Chinse people according
> > to both the ROC and the PROC constitutions. ROC election is therefore this one Chinese people's
> > internal affairs just like whether Trump would win is supposedly one American people's
> > internal affair. Whether Californian democrats could vote in Iowa is irrelevant.
> > ROC officials could disagree with PROC officials. But that is not new.
> >
> > Please reread Ross Feingold's article and decdide whether you or him is ignorant.
> 1C2S. One system should not interfere with the other.

On whose say so?
If you think the PROC would allow the ROC to persecute Chinese like Israel had persecuted Palestinians,
you are quite wrong.

As a matter of fact, the world recognize the PROC as the sole legimate representation of all Chinese,
mainlanders as well Taiwan Islanders. World powers including the US, however, do object military
unification. PROC Chinese commenting on ROC election is 1) not interference, and more important
2) it is win-win if PRCO could fast talk ROC citizens into peaceful unifcation。

Again, re-read Feingold's article and learn why he is against US government as well citizens from
interfereing with ROC election.

> And given the PRC's track record and broken promises in HK, why should the Taiwanese accept the interference anyway? That would be true ignorance.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<d3185bf1-f6b5-45c0-a09f-9632ff112c18n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14369&group=soc.culture.china#14369

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:00:25 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:00 UTC

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 10:39:21 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 12:05:58 PM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:

> > > The basic fact is that both mainlanders and Taiwan islanders are one Chinse people according
> > > to both the ROC and the PROC constitutions. ROC election is therefore this one Chinese people's
> > > internal affairs just like whether Trump would win is supposedly one American people's
> > > internal affair. Whether Californian democrats could vote in Iowa is irrelevant.
> > > ROC officials could disagree with PROC officials. But that is not new..
> > >
> > > Please reread Ross Feingold's article and decdide whether you or him is ignorant.
> > 1C2S. One system should not interfere with the other.
> On whose say so?
> If you think the PROC would allow the ROC to persecute Chinese like Israel had persecuted Palestinians,
> you are quite wrong.
>
> As a matter of fact, the world recognize the PROC as the sole legimate representation of all Chinese,
> mainlanders as well Taiwan Islanders. World powers including the US, however, do object military
> unification. PROC Chinese commenting on ROC election is 1) not interference, and more important
> 2) it is win-win if PRCO could fast talk ROC citizens into peaceful unifcation。
>
> Again, re-read Feingold's article and learn why he is against US government as well citizens from
> interfereing with ROC election.
> >

> > And given the PRC's track record and broken promises in HK, why should the Taiwanese accept the interference anyway? That would be true ignorance.

"Feingold also lamented that It was unfortunate that some people think some in the DPP governemnt
was OK to make false allegations of China’s interference in order to win votes. Again, it reflects
persistant poor economic performance. Playing the China card which included frequent false
accusation, has become the standard procedure to garner votes from a fraction of the populace. Of
course, such election tactic is signs of mature but not vibrant democracy."

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<f7e25de2-b93a-43b6-9283-e7002994bde1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14370&group=soc.culture.china#14370

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:57:58 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 20:57 UTC

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 2:00:26 PM UTC-5, bmoore wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 10:39:21 AM UTC-8, ltlee1 wrote:

> > > 1C2S. One system should not interfere with the other.
> > On whose say so?
> > If you think the PROC would allow the ROC to persecute Chinese like Israel had persecuted Palestinians,
> > you are quite wrong.
> >
> > As a matter of fact, the world recognize the PROC as the sole legimate representation of all Chinese,
> > mainlanders as well Taiwan Islanders. World powers including the US, however, do object military
> > unification. PROC Chinese commenting on ROC election is 1) not interference, and more important
> > 2) it is win-win if PRCO could fast talk ROC citizens into peaceful unifcation。
> >
> > Again, re-read Feingold's article and learn why he is against US government as well citizens from
> > interfereing with ROC election.
> > >

> > > And given the PRC's track record and broken promises in HK, why should the Taiwanese accept the interference anyway? That would be true ignorance.
>
> "Feingold also lamented that It was unfortunate that some people think some in the DPP governemnt
> was OK to make false allegations of China’s interference in order to win votes. Again, it reflects
> persistant poor economic performance. Playing the China card which included frequent false
> accusation, has become the standard procedure to garner votes from a fraction of the populace. Of
> course, such election tactic is signs of mature but not vibrant democracy.."
> When it was pointed out that the PRC really does interfere, and Feingold is wrong, I called out the BS. Now it is being claimed that the PRC actually has a
right to interfere. Hard to have an honest discussion here.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<c93a05ba-2183-42a0-8e75-4eea1128bdcen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14371&group=soc.culture.china#14371

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:18:01 -0800 (PST)
in ROC (Taiwan)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:18 UTC

On Sunday, January 14, 2024 at 10:15:12 AM UTC-5, ltlee1 wrote:

> Feingold also lamented that It was unfortunate that some people think some in the DPP governemnt
> was OK to make false allegations of China’s interference in order to win votes. Again, it reflects
> persistant poor economic performance. Playing the China card which included frequent false
> accusation, has become the standard procedure to garner votes from a fraction of the populace. Of
> course, such election tactic is signs of mature but not vibrant democracy..

And it is full of risk.
The fact is that the PROC and the ROC are the opposite sides of the Chinese Civil in which
the PROC is the winning side and hence the responsibility to unify the country either peacefully
or by force.

DPP governemnt making false allegations certainly give the impression that it would do anything
to block peaceful unification. So are US interference. To the extent that China is convinced that
peaceful unification is impossible, the only way for the PROC to fulfil its responsibility to by force.

Re: RossFeingold warning against US and DPP government interference in ROC (Taiwan)

<8e578c47-ea09-409f-90f7-025116d60b27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=14372&group=soc.culture.china#14372

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china